Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Earth is actually useful

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Maybe this is old news to other people but I never though that mapping the world in such detail could actually be useful for anything.

I remembered some japanese restaurant that had take-out but didn't want to drive through small streets (if you've never been to Europe, we have the smallest streets) trying to find where the restaurant was. I don't mind driving around but it's not something that's I actually like to do, especially someplace I'm  not familiar with.

So I basically went "driving" on my PC with Google Earth through the street view thing where they map the street in super high detail an you can look left and right. I found the restaurant and the picture was so high quality that I could actually read the phone number from the sign.

There you go, it actually has a use for me.

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    I've done similar just using plain ole street view!
  • HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760
    Originally posted by madazz
    I've done similar just using plain ole street view!

I use that everytime I drive somewhere I've never been before to plan my route.

• IchiRyutarouIchiRyutarou Member Posts: 7
    LOL True. I used the same method when I was job-hunting, to look for bulidings I had to go to for interviews and such. I'm not good at my own city's geography so google maps really helped. Least thing I want to happen was get lost on a way. 
  • AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857
    I was actually trying to find a large field out in the middle of nowhere on one occaison. I remembered its configuration and general area, but not its entrance. Spent a bit of time visualizing the field from above, then went "flying" around until I spotted one that matched, went to street view at that point to confirm and locate the address.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• UjfalusiUjfalusi Member Posts: 5
    yup, i use it quite a bit for street maps as well :D 
  • Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• meilmeil Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Man1ac

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/330782

interesting news!
  • MightyBeeMightyBee Member Posts: 43

Oooh yes, this Google Earth saved me from getting lost for so many times. I wonder how people lived without it :D.

No, really, I always check the unknown route before I leave and I don't have any difficulties on the road.