Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Race is On!

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

The 'Grand Acquisition Race', a new in-game event for Star Wars: The Old Republic, is now available on live servers. In this week's SWTOR column, we're reporting on our findings and weighing in with our thoughts.

Similarly to the ‘Rakghoul Epidemic’ event, the ‘Grand Acquisition Race’ was introduced to players via an Imperial News Network video report that is cut into by a representative of the Chevin, an ugly, almost elephant-looking species that is well known for unsavory activities. The Chevin representative is looking for capable agents to assist him in the eponymous Grand Acquisition race, a race to acquire a number of rare items. According to the Chevin, those who seek out these items and return them will be rewarded with great riches.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Race is On!

Comments

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555

Disclaimer: Today is opposite day.

OMG this is exactly what I have been waiting for!! I am totally resubing to SWtOR now!

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090
    Originally posted by VassagoMael

Disclaimer: Today is opposite day.

OMG this is exactly what I have been waiting for!! I am totally resubing to SWtOR now!

Since it's opposite day:  

Great post.  I really value your opinion.

• rdrakkenrdrakken Member Posts: 426

Well I guess its better than nothing...I feel sorry for anyone still paying to play this game.

• ZaqirZaqir Member UncommonPosts: 55
    If there is no one to hunt for the items is it really an event?
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I thought maybe they decided to go f2p on Aug 28th
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Rockniss

chuckle...

One things for sure there will be zero new content until the f2p launch so unless you truly love Star Wars there's not much point in playing it until then with so many good titles out and on the way.

• aimanknightaimanknight Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by Coolit

Originally posted by Rockniss

chuckle...

One things for sure there will be zero new content until the f2p launch so unless you truly love Star Wars there's not much point in playing it until then with so many good titles out and on the way.

That may be true, but they already announced the new end game op for next month. So, the new content will be there. Whether it's before or after remains to be seen.
  • HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129
    to da twentie fif?
  • ajax7ajax7 Member Posts: 363
    I love the event!

Ajax

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Just got started, but loving it already. I really enjoyed the last events and for now I'm also enjoying this one.

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    a bandaid on a dying patient.....super
  • NilahNilah Member UncommonPosts: 5

Don't care.

Won't tomorrow either.

• LifeEnderLifeEnder Member UncommonPosts: 45
    They put SWG to bed for this crap ?
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    STO "free" to play model incoming in five...four...three...

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Did anyone else read the word "Race" and have the hope you'd be reading about the devs putting in player pod races / tournamnets like that old pod-racing game from years ago based on the scene from Star Wars Episode I?

Such a shame, I guess adding elemets into the game world to make it seem more alive isn't on the agenda.

I want to LIVE in the Star Wars universe... not be guided through a storyline based in the universe.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

While I welcome new "events", this one doesn't really have much in the way of rewards. A few weapons that can only be used by a couple of classes, some lame armor, an over priced pet and a new speeder that isn't worth while since it is SLOW. If this is what "f2p" is going to do to this game....I am outta here.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• VahidVahid Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by rdrakken

Well I guess its better than nothing...I feel sorry for anyone still paying to play this game.

Don't feel sorry for me, I'm having a lot of fun in this game.

• GeezerGaz82GeezerGaz82 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by LifeEnder

+1

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by GeezerGaz82

+1

This is no more a stupid waste of programmers time when they could have been working on the actual broken game than when they did all that stuff in SWG with the chocolate fountains and flying pink ewoks...

Oh, wait....

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Wow... this got about 20 responses and only 3 or 4 of them were supportive. 

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Originally posted by GeezerGaz82

+1

This is no more a stupid waste of programmers time when they could have been working on the actual broken game than when they did all that stuff in SWG with the chocolate fountains and flying pink ewoks...

Oh, wait....

Right about now StarGateWorlds pyramid scheme fiasco with the Devs buying a Humvee on the budget is starting to look really good....

• VahidVahid Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by rdrakken

Don't feel sorry for me, I'm having a lot of fun in this game.

• rostarosta Member Posts: 1
    I personally felt that the items were not a good reward for all. They have blaster rifles and sniper rifles...so that covers only a few classes what about the other classes what weapons or items do we get?
  • ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527
    Damn, when they said 'race' I hoped it would be some iteration of early podracing. You fail Bioware. Again.
  • KyuzoS8KyuzoS8 Member Posts: 13
    don't think i can even do this event if im stuck at lvl 15...