Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does GW2 need a cinematic trailer?

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2plRTzSrY8

That's all what GW2 needs. And it's CGI - just another kind of CGI.

Agreed. Cinematic trailers serve a different purpose than gameplay trailers. Their goal is to relay a story/context for the game, convey a mood and get people psyched about the game. The more removed from actual gameplay graphics, the better, as it avoids the misconception that what one is seeing is gameplay.

Dead Island trailer achieved its goal masterfully. Two other cinematic trailers that did a great job of generating hype for their game were the 2003 WOW cinematic trailer and the 2010 SWTOR "Deceived" trailer.

In that last one, it created all the necessary moments

• INCOMING! CRASH SLAM  'SPLOSIONZ! Cool!
    • The Dark Side... with an army! Cool!
    • Here come the good guys! YES!
    • Epic battles! Cool!
    • ZOMG Twilleks and shooting stuff and Bounty Hunters! COOL!

Other than those unrealistically expecting to see gameplay, most people were rather pumped up after watching that trailer. :)

And that's the cinematic trailer's job. image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    No game needs a cinematic trailer. 

I wouldn't say that.

Would 'Dead Island' be as popular as it is without that trailer that literally set the gaming world on fire?

NSFW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqrG1bdGtg

That is quite honestly one of the best trailers ever made, ever.

And think of how many copies of the game sold just because of that trailer?  I would guess quite a few.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

No

Isn't necessary and would be a waste of money. This game already has an insane amount of hype and buzz going on. Would be a complete waste of resources.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Im gonna say yes becuase I like CGI trailers :). There is no need for it now tho, since game is well overhyped as it is.
  • desirieldesiriel Member Posts: 98

I'm wary of cinematic trailers. WAR's and SWTOR's CGI trailers were really beautiful but the games were a sham.

SWTOR's alarm bell rang for me when they showed us these beautiful pieces of art but little to nothing of real gameplay trailers.

They're expensive, useless and create hype that often falls short on its promises.

For me, the choice to avoid these shiny baubles is another sign of Anet's solidity and dedication to their game.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

That's all what GW2 needs. And it's CGI - just another kind of CGI.

agree

Blizzard does give good cgi

I love this mock SWTOR dev commentary about cgi http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/star-wars-the-old-republic-fake-trailer

• MacecardMacecard Member UncommonPosts: 142
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    No game needs a cinematic trailer. 

Almost, however I think some do.

I think it's No game that is trying to sell itself with GAMEPLAY needs a cinematic trailer

If you continue to make sweeping statements like you know what everyone everywhere thinks about a certain topic then I am going to shout at you.
    It easy to type 'I think this is the worst game ever'
    Rather than the 'This is the worst game ever'

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756

where is the "i dont care" vote option.

Will a trailer really affect your gameplay. do you really need to discuss if a company has to do this and that?

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Onigod

where is the "i dont care" vote option.

"results please"

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    GW1 had some cinematic trailers why not GW2, its always a plus

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    Why waste tons of money and time (rendering a 1 minute long high quality CGI is a long process that cosnumes whole server farm) on something that has no relevance? I much prefer their style of cinematics, hand drawn stills are great and fit the whole aesthetic of the game, CGI would only mess it up. 
  • ClobClob Member Posts: 130
    In general these trailers are cool and all, but I dislike how a lot of companies tend to "hide" their game behind them in marketing.  The one that stands out because it is somewhat recent and was so prevalent on tv was SW:TOR.  They had all those trailers on tv for months and not once did you see the actual game through that medium.  Blizzard will do the same thing in marketing this expansion.  I've always felt it a positive that ANet does ingame trailers.  They want to show players the game.  Even when they did those couple CGI/cinematic trailers for GW they had did ingame ones along with 'em. 
  • TreekodarTreekodar Member Posts: 524
    I would love for them to do a trailer ala Warhammer Online.

Eleanor Rigby.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339
    SWTOR kinda spoiled the cgi trailers for me. Granted GW2 is a horse of a different color, but it is going to take a while for the bad taste SWTOR left in my mouth.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I vote no but I guess if the trailer was just a combination of game play and art kind of like the manifesto video it would be ok.
  • Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174

oh FFS we already got:

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OyHwqokkKk

In fact, the 2nd one could make a grown bearded man cry

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130
    You know those aren't the type the OP is referring to, with the concept art overlays and ingame scenery.  Those are, however, the kind that ANet does that actually give the players a view of the game.  What is being referred to, the style like this new WoW cinematic, sensationalize everything way beyond what the games actually are.  Yep, they're fun to watch, but so detached from actual gameplay.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Everyone that knows what a good CGI trailer costs, will agree that it would be just spoiling money to spend it on a CGI trailer

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    It doesn't NEED a cinematic trailer, but I would love one. The cinematic trailers for GW1 were absolutely beautiful. The Factions CG trailer is still one of my favorite bits of game CG.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Matheusor1

oh FFS we already got:

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OyHwqokkKk

In fact, the 2nd one could make a grown bearded man cry

your second link still shows your first -- this is what you intended http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OyHwqokkKk

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I'd say no for one very good reason, as we've seen in other so called wow killers, cinematic trailers are NEVER like the gameplay in the actual game, i'd prefer the stance of honesty that Anet has taken with their title.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    I would say no. I mean.. it doesn't really matter to me. It's cool if there is one, but it's not a deal breaker if it doesn't. WoW has some really good cinematic's but after I watched them once, I can't remember watching them again. 
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I'm not against CGI cutscenes or opening sequences at all but trailers I coudl care less.When it coems to trailers all I care about is in game graphics and gameplay.CGI is meaningless to me in this case.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Imagine for one minute that you never played wow and saw that new trailer, then logged into the game to play it, im betting you'd be hugely disappointed. but that's how blizzard hook them.
  • yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Cinematic or CGI trailers give the people wrong impression about the game. Look at SW:TOR trailers, you can't do any of that stuff in game. All the trailers that you see of GW2 are in game footage, so when you go in game and do/see the things they did in the trailer, you feel satisfied rather than ripped off