Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This should freak everone out

Kram59Kram59 Member Posts: 153
I know every one that reads this will think I’m out of my mind. I beta tested the very first online game. (Meridian59) I am a old dude. Then off to EQ. For me online gaming ended with Dark Age of Camelot. The last game where people had to play their class and grouped and helped each other.
Every game since has been the same thing over and over. This free to play crap is just that. The old adage “You get what you pay for” is true. This is simply a viewpoint that I've never seen before. I don’t expect anyone to agree with me nor do I want them to. Writing this just for fun. Just as people can buy a Ford Focus, or a BMW, there should be a stellar game made that requires heavy computer hardware and a month fee of $50.00 a month.
I am not a rich man, life costs. Go to the movies twice a month. Go bowling, go down hill skiing, go golfing, buy gas for your car. lol A hobby is a hobby. Call it the over the over 40 game. lol Not sure what most people pay for a “smart” phone fee, but how much entertainment does that bring you a month? No need to rip me a new one. This is just a break from the normal posts and just for fun. Simply food for thought.

Remember, game till you bleed.

King of the world

Comments

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

The only way were going to get a game like you are craving is if someone with very deep pocket's funds a game that they want to play.

Profit be damned

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970
    I'm more freaked out at the thought of living without my smartphone. 
  • BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Funny you mention smartphones. I'm 45 and still am not willing to pay close $90-100 for a "smart-phone". I find it ridiculous that ..in order to get a new phone you must be corralled into the $100 monthly fee.On the other hand..If a game was worth it..I would probably pay $50 mnthly....better be a frakkin awesome game though.lol.

By the by... they had online games in the 70's however the nature of what was online was greatly different. The "internet" was a completely different animal then mostly confine to huge areas revolving around universities. Late 80's is when the first online multiplayer games came about. Ones closer to those of today ..well..not graphically.lol. I remember a friend (in 1987 or 88) that had a 3d shooter on his Atari (dont recall the computer model) that looked kind of like a pacman game in 3d..lol. He had about 7 computers hooked into it..more of a LAN setup ..so i guess it wouldnt count as online..I do know the first Neverwinter Nights came out in 1991 though and that was online multiplayer . Now that game could've cost you  hundreds a month if you didnt monitor your playtime. Between ISP hourly charges as well as the phone companies long distance fees..It was ridiculous but I know people who spent a small fortune playing that game.  Meridian59 is considered the first 3D multiplayer online game.

Gads..sorry about the half-arsed video game lesson.

Anyway...nice to see someone older than me still playing ...I'm right with you and will likely be playing games into my 80's. Universe permitting. I'm hooked on online games too but have migrated mostly to MMOfps from MMOrpgs. F2P and Regular Pay and play types on PC and some on console as well. Right now I'm digging on Red Orchestra II ..BF3..Blacklight Retribution..War inc..and Bullet Run.

• SkuldinSkuldin Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Kram59
    I know every one that reads this will think I’m out of my mind. I beta tested the very first online game. (Meridian59) I am a old dude. Then off to EQ. For me online gaming ended with Dark Age of Camelot. The last game where people had to play their class and grouped and helped each other.
    Every game since has been the same thing over and over. This free to play crap is just that. The old adage “You get what you pay for” is true. This is simply a viewpoint that I've never seen before. I don’t expect anyone to agree with me nor do I want them to. Writing this just for fun. Just as people can buy a Ford Focus, or a BMW, there should be a stellar game made that requires heavy computer hardware and a month fee of $50.00 a month.
    I am not a rich man, life costs. Go to the movies twice a month. Go bowling, go down hill skiing, go golfing, buy gas for your car. lol A hobby is a hobby. Call it the over the over 40 game. lol Not sure what most people pay for a “smart” phone fee, but how much entertainment does that bring you a month? No need to rip me a new one. This is just a break from the normal posts and just for fun. Simply food for thought.

37 here and DAOC was my favorite game as well. I have played the GW2 beta twice now, as recently as two weeks ago and I do like the game, but there is still something missing. I'm not sure if it's hte goofy "hearts" collection or the cartoony "pew pew' nature of the archery or the horrible voice-overs, but I'm not nearly as excited about it as I feel like I should be for a game that's trying to recapture the 3-way battles of the DAOC experience.

There are a lot of things I "like" about GW2 but it still doesnt have that "feel" I was hoping for...

Thirty years of gaming experience...not sure if I should be proud of that
    www.mmoexaminer.blogspot.com

• Kram59Kram59 Member Posts: 153
    This is addressed to Barcrow. I am kram59Hotmail.com and stood staring at the “Coleco” or Com.64 as to which would be my first computer. This is in regards to your holding back for a smart phone. I am held back intimidated till 4 months ago. Did tons of research and bought a Galaxy ll.
    Probably the best “gizmo” buy I have made in my life. Canceled my land line and with all options and G4 pay $50.00 a month. I am struggling financially but believe me once you get into it, you cant go back. I happen to love Words with Friends” (Scrabble) and the most addicting game I have ever played if you like “Defense” games. “Dragon Defense Shrine” Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I feel mentally as I am walking in the hallways of high schools. But in reality I am 59 and single and still look at hot chicks. lol I hope I never grow up. Like I said this is just a off the track just for fun post. Nothing earth shattering here.
    Game till you bleed.

King of the world

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    how would you get people to pay 50 bucks a month to subscribe to a game they paid 50 bucks for? Thats just stupidity.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by BarCrow

Funny you mention smartphones. I'm 45 and still am not willing to pay close $90-100 for a "smart-phone". I find it ridiculous that ..in order to get a new phone you must be corralled into the $100 monthly fee.On the other hand..If a game was worth it..I would probably pay $50 mnthly....better be a frakkin awesome game though.lol.

By the by... they had online games in the 70's however the nature of what was online was greatly different. The "internet" was a completely different animal then mostly confine to huge areas revolving around universities. Late 80's is when the first online multiplayer games came about. Ones closer to those of today ..well..not graphically.lol. I remember a friend (in 1987 or 88) that had a 3d shooter on his Atari (dont recall the computer model) that looked kind of like a pacman game in 3d..lol. He had about 7 computers hooked into it..more of a LAN setup ..so i guess it wouldnt count as online..I do know the first Neverwinter Nights came out in 1991 though and that was online multiplayer . Now that game could've cost you  hundreds a month if you didnt monitor your playtime. Between ISP hourly charges as well as the phone companies long distance fees..It was ridiculous but I know people who spent a small fortune playing that game.  Meridian59 is considered the first 3D multiplayer online game.

Gads..sorry about the half-arsed video game lesson.

Anyway...nice to see someone older than me still playing ...I'm right with you and will likely be playing games into my 80's. Universe permitting. I'm hooked on online games too but have migrated mostly to MMOfps from MMOrpgs. F2P and Regular Pay and play types on PC and some on console as well. Right now I'm digging on Red Orchestra II ..BF3..Blacklight Retribution..War inc..and Bullet Run.

48 here and I still don't have a smart phone either I have a samsung gusto and I pay 70 bucks a month for  500 minutes of shared use for all 3 lines. I use the phone for calling folks on the go.  The credit card companies are all like give us your phone number so we can give you an app.  I don't need their app my phone will not run it. Recently my gusto took a walk in the local river, and it took an act of congress to get another flip phone those idiots at verizon kept trying to sale me a smart phone with a data plan. My 23 year old has a smart phone just one line and her bill is 129 a month but she gets unlimited data/text with att All I ever see her do is text text text, and that is why she wrecked her car 2 times in 3 months.

Now to what the op has said.  Yes the mmo market is stuck in a rut, we keep seeing this over and over.  That is why most of us are so fed up with the bland boring mmo's that we have to play.  I am playing EQ2 well because quite frankly it has everything in a game I am looking for, content, player housing, and solo play if you want, and grouping to do the hard stuff and raids.

yes Istavaav, You are partly right. :)..... One man's trash is another man's treasure. I was just making  a off the wall statement.  Certainly most people cant and wont pay that fee. But remeber, if you are stinking rich, money means nothing. I simply can't understand why anyone would pay $75,000 for a car when you can get a good reliable car for much much less. But that is just me. Cars mean nothing to me. Just gets you from point a to point b. Just throwing out a different perspective for fun. Have been reading this site since (I beleive) a father and son started it) since it's inception. I will never forget the first time I saw Pacman. I was in total awe. No way could there better graphis then this game. My friend worked at a bank and bought home a phone modem and could conect to his bank and play a  text game. (Can't remeber the name) I think it was around 1976?  Something about a dragon and a parakeet. I was dumbfounded and hooked ever since. The one think that bothers me about most game sites is the obsolet info they allow to remain. I personally beleive anything (gamewise) or hardware wise older then a year should be allowed to see the inside of a dumpster. I am struggle finantually but if I cant have the badest to the bonest computer then I will take up playing marbles for my hobby. Who wants to play a game with the settings set to the lowest view? This post isn't to push my views on anyone else. It's just a goofy new perspective.

Game till you bleed, and then go out in your car and drive fast and reckless. <smile>

King of the world

• KilsinKilsin Member RarePosts: 515

I am waiting for this game too. :(

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Just as people can buy a Ford Focus, or a BMW, there should be a stellar game made that requires heavy computer hardware and a month fee of $50.00 a month.

I think that such a game will be here in the next couple of years, but it will come in the form of a greater social experience or more personal experience rather than graphically amazing in its content. I'm inclined to say that the graphical component of this future virtual world will even be optional, with the majority of the content and interaction taking place in a multimedia web environment or some other platform with a low tech barrier to entry. Exclusivity and gating will occur by way of community and social tier within the virtual world, as well as through ranking and money spent. 

EQ Legends explored premium service offerings and Vanguard set out to create a cutting game graphically. I think EQ Legends was actually ahead of its time, meanwhile the Vanguard team overlooked the teensy matter of cutting edge graphics as a selling point only works if you plan to regularly overhaul the graphics of the game (ex: EVE Online).

Since then, Kaneva and vMTV have explored the mixed medium social environment with both 3D and web-based worlds for the players to engage in. Kaneva seems to have more traffic in its web network, and vMTV has abandoned their 3D world completely.

I wouldn't look for a GPU/CPU-taxing game at a premium price, but for premium social and personal experiences at a premium price. The latter seems imminent, and I look forward to the social circles and communities that will form within them.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Such a great idea imo.  With that kind of income they could really hire the necessary staff to pump out content.
    Thanks everyone for some mature Reponses and input. I NEVER comment here as it is a site (lets face it) is geared somewhat for younger audiences. Always flame city and vulgar language. It’s refreshing to see some intelligent comments and opinions for a change. Like I said, not trying to impose my views just a switch from the normal, “This game is better then that game” We are all gamers. I have played (almost) every online game since the beginning. I fully admit I’m not the best gamer. lol but enjoy the sport. I have never tried the Fantasy series and actually looking forward to their revised game. I was always one to preorder or be the first to buy everything new. I have finally learned my lesson and wait till the findings are out. Does anyone remember the game “Lode Runner” for the Commodore 64? Great game. addictive to say the least. I was looking forward to Guild Worlds ll, but (I know many people will enjoy it) and good for them. But now believe it wont be what I am waiting for. This goofy game I just bought called “All Orcs must Die ll. Have to admit, it’s very fun and addicting. (if you like defense games.) I still dabble at Eve but must admit the concept is hard for me to grasp. I am working on getting all my stats on my frigate to elite. I want to see if it’s possible to do level 4 missions with a frigate. (Good luck with that!) haa haa I have never been a PKer. A term left over from Meridian 59 (Player Killer) I am too nice.:)
    But will admit if anyone remembers Dark Age of Camelot. Their realm wars were the best and a lot of fun.
    Always remember, it’s not that difficult to be kind.

King of the world

• StormXXXStormXXX Member Posts: 48

Im also a long time gamer. Started at age of 4 and i am 34 now. So you get the picture. Atari/Sinclair anyone? Im currently in the IT sector as programmer/architect and a bit of game designer. And here are my 5 cents on the idea.

First of all. This kind of game won't probably see the light for quite some time if ever. Well... Unless the inflation rates skyrocket.

The sheer ammount of resources that need to be pooled into it and the risks involved are far too great for investors and other parties involved. So many factors that can screw things up. And the end audience is just a small niche in the market. Since im pretty sure not many people are willing to pay $50 bucks a month for a game, unless its 60 frames of pure awsomness hitting your optical nerves every second, playing heavenly serenades on you brain's chemistry. And lets get real. Even WoW wasn't that great at any time of its existence. So to sum things up. Yes $50 isn't much for some people, but im sure there a lot lot more people who will demand too much from the product to justify the $50 pricetag. Soo... Probably not happening. Na ah...

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

You get what you pay for is the old addage that matters not these days.

If you paid 40 dollars a month or even 100 you'd probably only get that near ZERO service satisfaction.

Just because a wine costs more doesn't make it better than a cheap bottle.

You'd still be treated as you are, because they know your minimum spend is now roughly 50 dollars.

It's about min/max in business.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    This is addressed to Barcrow. I am kram59Hotmail.com and stood staring at the “Coleco” or Com.64 as to which would be my first computer. This is in regards to your holding back for a smart phone. I am held back intimidated till 4 months ago. Did tons of research and bought a Galaxy ll.
    Probably the best “gizmo” buy I have made in my life. Canceled my land line and with all options and G4 pay $50.00 a month. I am struggling financially but believe me once you get into it, you cant go back. I happen to love Words with Friends” (Scrabble) and the most addicting game I have ever played if you like “Defense” games. “Dragon Defense Shrine” Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I feel mentally as I am walking in the hallways of high schools. But in reality I am 59 and single and still look at hot chicks. lol I hope I never grow up. Like I said this is just a off the track just for fun post. Nothing earth shattering here.
    Game till you bleed.

This is exactly why I wont buy one. I have an Android tablet for the gaming aspects but I don't want another $50 bill a month. I know damn well that if i get one it will be a necessity from that point on so I just won't fall into that trap. I have a cell phone now that is about $15 a month and it will send and receive calls which is all I want out of a phone.

As for the topic... I feel your pain but like others have said if you can't solo to max level and get all the shineys you'd ever want along the way it won't get made as this is the norm now. It's a sad reality but a true one.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    For the love of monkeys don't encourage companies to rip us off even further! Day 1 DLC for Mass Effect 3 was already pushing it. 
  • miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835

While I am also of the opinion such a game/service would be a welcome alternative for those who are willing and can afford it the reality is few, if any, investors would ever toy with such an idea.

I know you used exotic cars as an example but one thing you need to keep in mind is that most companies that offer such limited, outrageously priced, vehicles don't make the majority of their profit from said cars.  They provide those offerings to the select few who can afford them to help recoupe the cost of advanced technology offered within them.  Most of these companies main source of income come from much more affordable products either offered directly from the companies main line or through subsidiaries.  Which brings us back to a game who's only revenue source would rely on every player being a "whale" as being nearly impossible to pull off. 

Again, I wish such an undertaking would take place because I for one would wholeheartedly support it but there is no way in hell I'd place money on such a venture every truely taking place.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Hahaha you are my new HERO!

You read my mind sir!

I've beta tested Merdian as well also EQ and you nailed it on the head !

I agree with you , I personaly would be fine paying 50 a month , shit my smart phone play with two phones range me 148.90 a month my truck 200 every two weeks , my LTE rocket stick ( Because I can game at work :P ) 58.50 monthly , and now got the wife a Alienware M17X Laptop 88 bucks a month , so yeah I can completely understand your point bigtime!

BUT the ONLY F2P Game I liked so far is GW2 by a long shot! From one vet to another, you will like it I will bet ya 10 bucks!!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Game till you bleed.

I went with the Intellivision for my first computer and then migrated over to the C64! Best games were probably (maybe still are) the AD&D Gold Box Series from SSI. 

I understand about the looking at hot chicks thing. I'm 53, and just because we are old on the outside our brains don't know that. A pretty girl is pretty no matter how old ya get! It's to bad they label you when you are older. :)

I have always loved technology, electronics, gadgets. Although I'm a few years younger, I have to say we have lived in a great time. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

StormXXX I agree with you completly. It was basically a topic and a theory rhetorical question. I have owned businesses and lets face it. Money rules the world. No market, no profit. Just the facts ma'am.

King of the world

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

It would be ok to pay 25 euro each month of the game is totaly worth it, but that day will not come soon.
    Just look around and check all the mmo failures of the last decades.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

pretty old myself but if you want a game to charge $50 a month that's just a tas extreme. smh

if you want that might as well spend it all on cosmetics and xp boost from the store every month on F2P games. weird.

This is probably my last contribution here. It was fun. I can see most that have commented are a smidge older then the norm and was a neat walk down memory lane. Getting harder and harder to find people that actually played Meridian 59. My name in the game was Scoop and my son was Scoopjr. At the back of the Manuel you can find our names. I also had a a Vectrex and Intelevision. Wow those were the days. Also for years subscribed to computer gaming monthly, till they went kaput. Had Amiga and Atari ST. I’m glad I was in on the ground floor. Take care everyone, I think this was the first threat I ever followed.

Kram59

King of the world

Originally posted by itgrowls

pretty old myself but if you want a game to charge $50 a month that's just a tas extreme. smh

if you want that might as well spend it all on cosmetics and xp boost from the store every month on F2P games. weird.

Well, it was just a statment to show a point of view. I'm not a idiot. (Well, maybe I am, depends on who you ask) When I hear people belly aching over paying $15.00 a month I am dumbfounded, and realize no one after being conditioned into this play for free crap. There is nothing in life free, someone has to pay for it. These companys know what their doing,

King of the world

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    "..there should be a stellar game made that requires heavy computer hardware and a month fee of $50.00 a month."

When there's data to support that people will pay that, someone will make it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre