Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Three Day Trial + Two Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has announced that it is offering new registrants for The Secret World three days of free game time if they sign up by August 19th. Players can also score an additional two days if they complete thirty missions during the trial.

Funcom is also on hand at Gamescom handing out cards that might unlock a four day trial.

Among the content being revealed for the very first time at GamesCom is the first raid that will be introduced to the game in a couple of months time. The raid, set in a devastated New York City, builds on the story focus in  'The Secret World' to create a truly unique raid experience. Starting out, players will be introduced to the story by listening to the accounts of characters that have taken refuge in the New York subway system, and eventually players will battle a monster that towers over the skyscrapers in the middle of Times Square.

Register on The Secret World's site to get started.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Love the idea, i've been waiting for the main cities to see some action. i mean London has to be a hotspot for action, New york would be a target in any attack. the more this is opened up the better.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I'm not sure why all devs don't offer free trials in this format. It gets people into the game so they are more likely to buy. Nice idea Funcom.

I'll be the first to admit, I wasn't a big fan of this game at first, but my years in MMO gaming have taught me not to judge an MMO after the first hour of play. Once I did the investigation quest "Men in Black Vans," there was no going back.

I now have 50% of my wheel unlocked and I'm in Carpathian Fangs rocking my custom Blood/Shotgun Strike/Impair DPS build. I really enjoy the challenge level, the story and of course the skill tinkering. TSW is a very refreshing change from most of the rampant faceroll today's MMOs bring to the table.

Great game...I look forward to what TSW is going to look like 6 months from now.

Joined - July 2004

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    No thanks. Game is boring after a few hours.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Downloading now, will give it a whirl tonight.

To be fair, I'm sure my negative bias will effect my judgement of TSW but I shall try to remain objective and "see the forest for the trees."

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Finally they're doing some decent Marketing for this game. Go Funcom!

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i think this move will earn them alot of new subs
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

I think it is the start of the Funcom shift to free to play model.

Folks, Funcom had a "secret" TSW share holders meeting and basically admitted it isn't a big smash, and then tried to blame agregated review scores, I mean c'mon here.

Bottom,  line not a smash hit, but one that can make money if handled well.

• benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114

The writing and creativity behind this game is phenomenal. I was entranced by the setting as I was playing last night. I can't believe there is any talk of this game not being a success. I will be back at it tonight. Can't wait to see what lies beyond Kingsmouth.

The closest and most recent experience I can compare this game to is SWTOR. The difference is that I am actually interested in what the people are saying in this game, the environments are much more compelling, and the combat, skills, and crafting systems are all very fresh. I can see why some people might not like it. The mature content and unfamiliarity of some of the game systems may repel less sophisticated MMO gamers.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Hmm, an interesting incentive to do a few missions seeing as that's the games few main strengths.
  • MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    If you sign up now do you have to start your three day trial now or by August 19th? I'm going on holiday for a week tomorrow so won't be able to try until next weekend.
  • ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Downloading now, will give it a whirl tonight.

To be fair, I'm sure my negative bias will effect my judgement of TSW but I shall try to remain objective and "see the forest for the trees."

You may be surprised to find that TSW turns out to accomplish what many had hoped TOR would.

As far as your negative bias, take this as a challenge:  successfully complete the 2nd dungeon (Hell Raised) and tell me you still hate the game.   I mean, if you do and you do, it's probably not for you, which is fair enough.  But it would be a mistake to judge TSW before getting a true taste of its combat potential, which you only really discover in that dungeon.

If you want some help or whatever, feel free to send me a note, i go by "Sand" (server doesn't matter in TSW).  I'm happy to give non-spoilerish mission hints or just general advice.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO