Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Only the dead play World of Warcraft

1234568

Comments

  • LuxthorLuxthor ZagrebPosts: 171Member
    Message to Anet: Look before you leap.

    ---
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."

  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Privacy Preferred, NCPosts: 1,059Member
    Originally posted by vesuvias
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick
    Originally posted by Alot

    In the image below you can see a gravestone with some sort of symbols carved into.

    http://www.chroniclesoftyria.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/I-played-WoW-and-look-at-me-now.If-only-I-had-been-like-you-and-stuck-to-playing-GW2.1.jpg

    These symbols come from the New Krytan alphabet and when translated you get:

     

    "I played WoW and look at me now,
    if only I had been like you and stuck to playing Guild Wars 2."

     


    Credits go to Jalinar for translating.
    Credits go to ANet for making this happen.
    Credits go to Alot for creating such a sensationalist thread.
    Credits go to littleXuro for ninja'ing me by 14 minutes.
    Credits go to (input name of easily enraged GW2 hater) for making this thread live (and die).

     

    Well, to learn that only the dead play WOW is a great relief to me. First trade chat, barrens chat, and that cyber bar on Moonguard all make sense now. Second, it looks like only about 10 million people went to hell and they are mostly Asian so my chances of landing in a good spot after the coffin are actually pretty good now.

    I mentioned this in a similar thread on guru. The joke is not saying that only the Dead play WOW.

    It's a refrence to WoW's death penalty and a contrast to GW2's lack of one. If you'd play WoW and die you are stuck as a ghost wandering around until you find your TOMBSTONE. If you play GW2 and die you can port back to waypoint and you don't have to go find your tombstone. That's the joke. It's a jab at the WoW's death penalty and saying that it is inferior to GW2's in terms of actually playing the fun parts of the game.

     

    I know this. But then you just had to go and over think the funny... O.o

  • itgrowlsitgrowls newport news, VAPosts: 2,951Member
    Originally posted by Lucrecia
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Valua

     

    You have to remember people HAVE actually died playing WoW, including children and babies, so making jokes about it doesn't really appeal to me.

     

    Oh for frack's sake....

    I second that...Oh for frack's sake.

     

    Edited to be Mod-friendly.

    I prefer the term Frell as in "Oh for Frell's sake...." :)

  • itgrowlsitgrowls newport news, VAPosts: 2,951Member
    Originally posted by Cromica
    Originally posted by bcbully
    So GW2 is the WoW killer?

    For me and my friends it has killed every game we were playing before the first BWE

    Same here, every mmo that is. RPG's still remain strong with Skyrim and the witcher 2.

    Altho some of my friends were fans of other titles by EA and those titles didn't really pan out so they decided they would rebel against enjoying GW2 because I and others like me found extreme flaws in the design of EA's mmo.

  • AlotAlot BredaPosts: 1,948Member

    I don't know who did it, but thank you for reporting, I'm glad that I was able to make someone angry.

  • itgrowlsitgrowls newport news, VAPosts: 2,951Member

    I think people are misinterpreting the message here. It does indeed mean that WoW is a dead game, it's dead because it's so very behind the times, the devs there are doing almost nothing to upgrade it and then expecting people to pay the standard fee for an expansion by Blizzard, and that the concepts in WoW themselves are also dead (gear treadmill centric  lobby game with almost no life or consequence).

     

    Edit: had to remove the word Coop didn't fit into a game that uses limiting resources, tagging attacks on mobs, or the requirement to form a group to gain anything meaningful to a game like this.

  • TheHavokTheHavok San Jose, CAPosts: 2,398Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by itgrowls

    I think people are misinterpreting the message here. It does indeed mean that WoW is a dead game, it's dead because it's so very behind the times, the devs there are doing almost nothing to upgrade it and then expecting people to pay the standard fee for an expansion by Blizzard, and that the concepts in WoW themselves are also dead (gear treadmill centric  lobby game with almost no life or consequence).

     

    Edit: had to remove the word Coop didn't fit into a game that uses limiting resources, tagging attacks on mobs, or the requirement to form a group to gain anything meaningful to a game like this.

    LOL @ WoW is dead.  People have been saying this every expansion after TBC.  Look at my sig - somebody said this when cata came out!

    For the record - I plan on playing GW2 and I am not currently subbed to WoW.  But there is no denying how great a game WoW was (and still is). 9 million players seem to think the game is still alive.

     I got in the MOP beta and the Blizzard devs are doing a LOT for the game.  The forum interaction from the devs was the best I have ever seen.  Blizzard's developers are superior to every game i've seen thus far.

    Sure, WoW will continue the formula of being a gear-centric, grindy mmorpg, with a few unique things like the tournament realm thrown in to keep the pvp crowd happy.  But thats what it was designed to be.  Serioualy.  When people say "its the same thing over and over.." well..YEAH...thats what it was made to be. 

  • MAXetherMAXether Sterling Heights, MIPosts: 160Member
    Originally posted by Alot

     


    Originally posted by Varthander
    is that legal? to introduce such messages in a game, blaming other i mean, because dont seems so.

     

    I'm pretty sure that South Park didn't get sued for the episode on WoW.

    I'm pretty sure Blizzard helped make that episode.

  • VermilioNomyVermilioNomy SomewherePosts: 32Member
    Made me laugh but I seriously wonder if that sort of joke is allowed/acceptable.
  • WeretigarWeretigar winifrede, WVPosts: 609Member
    Originally posted by Orlandough
    Originally posted by Alot

     


    Originally posted by Varthander
    is that legal? to introduce such messages in a game, blaming other i mean, because dont seems so.

     

    I'm pretty sure that South Park didn't get sued for the episode on WoW.

    I'm pretty sure Blizzard helped make that episode.

    It was made on A Mangos Emulator. 

    Also I was like man they just put scratces on these tombstones these devs are lazy. It turns out thou im just dumb. 

    Also just because I lol'ed a little at the joke does not mean that I or anyone of my gw2 chars will be laughing about killing babies, children or adults that died while actually playing WoW. I take no responsability for killing babies since I have played WoW and I blame all the babies deaths on the new black panther movement. 

  • WolfHaartWolfHaart =][=Posts: 216Member
    I ignored this thread for as long as I could thinking this would be another "GW2 will be better then WoW" thread. I'm glad I finaly took a peek in here, was great fun. ^^
  • friednietzfriednietz The Study, NYPosts: 118Member

    Lol that's incredibly pathetic. GW2 now joins Rift as another of WoW's spiteful exes that can't handle being alone.

  • just1opinionjust1opinion Kansas City, MOPosts: 4,844Member
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    Lol there should be another tombstone with, I died from error 37....

     

    HAHA!

    President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

  • just1opinionjust1opinion Kansas City, MOPosts: 4,844Member
    Originally posted by Alot

    I don't know who did it, but thank you for reporting, I'm glad that I was able to make someone angry.

     

    I don't know, ya know, I just HAD to eventually tell you this.....

    A lot....is actually TWO words, not "alot," but rather "a lot."  I'm just sayin'.  You're still the coolest kid on the block for this OP though. ;)

    President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

  • WolfynsongWolfynsong Fort Wayne, INPosts: 237Member

    I think that this is amusing.

    I'm not particularly impressed by the translation itself, though.  This supposed language is nothing more than an alphabet - it's still all written in English.

    And ever since ArenaNet posted a letter from a fan, written in "New Krytan," along with its English "translation," I can't imagine anyone having difficulty with it.

  • TreekodarTreekodar jlkjklPosts: 524Member

    Reminds me of the Chinese people that have died playing WoW. We should poke some more fun at that.

    Right?

    Eleanor Rigby.

  • vesuviasvesuvias No Where, WAPosts: 147Member
    Originally posted by OldManFunk
    Originally posted by vesuvias

    Holy Crap. This is just a simply light hearted jab at the WoW In-GAME death penalty. Where you wander around looking for your tombstone when you die. It was absolutly not a refrence to real-life deaths from video game addiction. 

    Let me break down:

    "I played WoW and look at me now" - he's now a ghost wandering around looking for the tombstone you're reading

    "if only I had been like you and stuck to playing Guild Wars 2." - if he was playing GW2 he wouldn't be a ghost wandering around looking for his tombstone. He'd/She'd be playing the game.

    It most certianly isn't a cold hearted refrence to real deaths....

    You've got to admit that the feigned indignation and wild conspiracy theories people have dreamed up are almost as funny as the actual meaning of this harmless and clever easter egg.

    Perhaps you highlighting the critical parts everyone should read and me bumping it will correct the misinterpretations and mark a return to rational converse. But given adversarial nature of the thread title and how defensive posters are about thier MMOs, I doubt it but remain optimistic.

  • TreekodarTreekodar jlkjklPosts: 524Member
    Originally posted by vesuvias

    Perhaps you highlighting the critical parts everyone should read and me bumping it will correct the misinterpretations and mark a return to rational converse. But given adversarial nature of the thread title and how defensive posters are about thier MMOs, I doubt it but remain optimistic.

    It's not so much about ANet's intention, it's about how people interpret it. I could make a Flight Sim called 9/11 with no relation to any real-world events, but that doesn't mean people won't take it that way.

    Eleanor Rigby.

  • SomsbalSomsbal somsbalPosts: 222Member
    As much as i'm a GW2 fan, that's incredibely pathetic that they put this into the game, joke or not.
  • SomsbalSomsbal somsbalPosts: 222Member
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by Alot

    I don't know who did it, but thank you for reporting, I'm glad that I was able to make someone angry.

     

    I don't know, ya know, I just HAD to eventually tell you this.....

    A lot....is actually TWO words, not "alot," but rather "a lot."  I'm just sayin'.  You're still the coolest kid on the block for this OP though. ;)

    What do you think his avatar represents?

  • dzoni87dzoni87 BelgradePosts: 541Member

    Nice easter egg...

    Still better than Freemasons symbols in WoW :D

    Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

  • SteeJanzSteeJanz Gladstone, MOPosts: 330Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by vesuvias
    Originally posted by OldManFunk
    Originally posted by vesuvias

    Holy Crap. This is just a simply light hearted jab at the WoW In-GAME death penalty. Where you wander around looking for your tombstone when you die. It was absolutly not a refrence to real-life deaths from video game addiction. 

    Let me break down:

    "I played WoW and look at me now" - he's now a ghost wandering around looking for the tombstone you're reading

    "if only I had been like you and stuck to playing Guild Wars 2." - if he was playing GW2 he wouldn't be a ghost wandering around looking for his tombstone. He'd/She'd be playing the game.

    It most certianly isn't a cold hearted refrence to real deaths....

    You've got to admit that the feigned indignation and wild conspiracy theories people have dreamed up are almost as funny as the actual meaning of this harmless and clever easter egg.

    Perhaps you highlighting the critical parts everyone should read and me bumping it will correct the misinterpretations and mark a return to rational converse. But given adversarial nature of the thread title and how defensive posters are about thier MMOs, I doubt it but remain optimistic.

    Maybe this is why Developers don't listen to the player base.  The majority in this thread missed the actual jab at the death penalty and went straight to ArenaNet making fun of dead babies.
     

    The one thing that sucks about a forum is it provides a nice timeline for ignorance.  All these people quick to chastise ArenaNet for their action.  After reading your post I hope most people felt like an idiot because they sure look like one. 

  • LostarLostar Johnstown, PAPosts: 901Member

    Probably another jab at WoW that is more obvious (doesn't need a translator):

    We all rememebr how in MoP you'll be able to use your minipets Pokemon Style.  Well GW2 gives you "Tenanera's Pit" (Tenanera is Arenanet backwards) where two minipets can be seen in an Areanet logo styled arena fighting it off to the death (oooooo Valua! Arenanet must support dog and cock fighting!) ...well really they were just standing around idly when I saw the arena in Lion's Arch.

    But this can all be just grasping at straws. They could also be making fun of Pokemon (or any other of the many derivations of monster fighting).  Then again, when Blizz announced the pet fighting system a lot of people had some comical and cynical things to say about it.

  • Scripture1Scripture1 Philadelpihia, PAPosts: 426Member

    Oh wow, this is too funny! Blizzard must be sitting there saying "guys, alas it was a good run and we had fun but now they have made an open shame of us".

    Too FUNNY! lol

    image
  • DelphosDelphos SPosts: 39Member Uncommon
    Wow is finally dying! And takes a lot of non sense to buy this ridiculous pandaria expansion. GW2 ftw!
Sign In or Register to comment.