Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW - 3 day free trial starting today!

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by L0C0Man
    Originally posted by skydiver12

The idea is good, the execution poor and dumb. Plain dumb.

3 Days? How much time of it will be left once you downloaded the client? 1?
    Then 1 maybe two evenings time to rush things?

A lot of people have switched from dial-up to broadband. You should give it a try. It's really neat!!

And lots of people don't have access to such a broad band. Here in Venezuela, where I live, I only have access to two kinds of internet speeds, dial up or 1024k DSL (that rarely breaks the 80 KB/sec limit when it should be 128 KB/sec). When the game came out it took me two full days downloading to get the game.

So really, his compaint is limited to special circumstances. For the bulk of the world the download speed isn't an issue. Wouldn't you agree?

95% of world = Broadband

5% = no as fast

(numbers are for example only, not facts)

Good thing its just for example because its completely backwards.....

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Simple, because the offer wasn't available back then. You could just create a new account to take advantage of this offer if you wanted to.

It's just like asking when they did the first offer of 1200 points for completing 30 missions for their first month, to give me the points since I've already done more than 30 missions, or asking for your money back when there's a steam sale because you sometime in the past bought the game at full price. You just used the offer that was available back then, this is the offer that's available right now, and they really have nothing to do with each other. 

You are not completely wrong. But this offer is in fact not a deal but a well placed advertisment. As such, being lenient and giving people who already earned the achievement the 2 days as well, would work better than telling them there's no more benefit in this for them - that they missed out.

Harbinger of Fools
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by skydiver12

The idea is good, the execution poor and dumb. Plain dumb.

3 Days? How much time of it will be left once you downloaded the client? 1?
    Then 1 maybe two evenings time to rush things?

A lot of people have switched from dial-up to broadband. You should give it a try. It's really neat!!

And lots of people don't have access to such a broad band. Here in Venezuela, where I live, I only have access to two kinds of internet speeds, dial up or 1024k DSL (that rarely breaks the 80 KB/sec limit when it should be 128 KB/sec). When the game came out it took me two full days downloading to get the game.

Im amaized at how many people think everyone has high speed internet and 24/7 electricity and $$$ ect...

For those who seemed shocked by this I exhort you to read a bit about other parts of the world, maybe visit them. There are more people outside of where you live. You don't have to know everything about everywhere but at least don't assume that because you have it others do.

[mod edit]

I said 24/7 electrricity. There are countries were they might have broadband but their electrical infrastructure is poor and have areas were they might lose electricity a couple of times a month. The problem here is assuming that because its not a problem for you it should not be a problem for anyone else.

• GargolaGargola Member Posts: 356

How come the official twit message posted here, saying that the trial time starts after your first login (not download) didn't stop the criticism on the gaming free time loss while downloading the game...

Start download today, finish in a month, log in... you have 3 free days...

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I suppose it'd be impossible to create a trial account, download the game (it takes 48 hours to download for some people apparently) and then create a second trial account and utilize the full 3 days. Oh well...
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Gargola

How come the official twit message posted here, saying that the trial time starts after your first login (not download) didn't stop the criticism on the gaming free time loss while downloading the game...

Start download today, finish in a month, log in... you have 3 free days...

Because in may parts of the world, people can't read or follow instructions. There is a direct link between reading ability and internet speed.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Gargola
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Originally posted by BarCrow

Meh

I was one of those who sank 14 hours into the game and finished the first main story. Bugs me that I didn't get those 2 days extra or I would have finished Blue Mountain too.

Makes me wonder why they punish me for showing an interest in this game on their first trial.

Well... Funcom logic

I guess they just singled you out of the crowd.

I love how you guys jump on me for stating my mind that the game is nice but I won't pay the box price or a sub.

@bcbully

The part of "play the way you want". I can't fully agree on that. 

During the first beta weekend I picked Blood Magic as first "weapon". The tl;dr version is that I was using single target DoT spells against groups of 3-5 zombies. Poisoning them one by one and running from them until they would drop.

Bigger monsters would take ages for me to kill - if I was able to kill them at all.

During the event weekend however I picked the rifle. This weapon allowed me to easily kill groups of zombies with the AoE and I was able to solo the first main story by the rifle's selfheal skills despite being undergeared.

Alternatively there's the link for that guy whose built makes him almost unbeatable in pvp which was posted here today:

Having said this I point out again that people starting jumping at me because I am dissappointed I wasn't rewarded the 2 days extra despite having done about 50 missions the first weekend.

Now go ahead and flame if you feel you need to.

Why were you using single target DoT's instead of Chain attacks?  Just as the assault rifle has an area attack in the inner wheel, blood has a chain one that does more damage than the AR one and  puts a doT on them, on top of that.  if they die while that Dot is active they do AoE damge to nearbi mobs, too.   For bigger mobs Blood has 2 attacks that do more damaga one, and the other if first you use the regular builder, does a LOT more damage than the AR finishers.

Right there you have very powerful options fro multiple enemies and single target ones in blood, far from what you describe.

Besides that, several bugs in several abilities, which made that AR build and several others to do more damage than intended were fixed before early access and didn't made it live.

To add to that and to say again TSW has a learning curve. You couldn't have know what this poster above is saying right of the bat.  I encourage you to continue playing your style. Find out what will make your style more optimal for your situation.

More over I was speaking to questing but not limited to. Play how you want, and make your style work. The Ability Wheel is content. Treat it as such. Explore it find the little things that make your build better.

btw If you spend you ability and skill points in the training rooms you can refund them.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Sounds like an attempt to detrack as many if any away from GW2.  So the same day that GW2 conducts a stress test just so happens to be the same day they start this three day trial?  Not to mention they did it on the weekdays mostly when they know full well that the weekend is much more accomadating to players.

Yeah I got my tinfoil hat on.

Originally posted by Ambros123

Sounds like an attempt to detrack as many if any away from GW2.  So the same day that GW2 conducts a stress test just so happens to be the same day they start this three day trial?  Not to mention they did it on the weekdays mostly when they know full well that the weekend is much more accomadating to players.

lol, You can start the trial anytime, even the weekend if you like ;)

You know when people say "You're pushing it...."? cause this would be one of those times.

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Kuppa

You know when people say "You're pushing it...."? cause this would be one of those times.

Agreed. I would say this is more likely their reasoning for starting trial now:  There are only 12 days left til their quarterly marks come out. They know they need more subs before this, otherwise shareholders might go even more "wtf" than they did on the 8th. Any purchase of the game from now until the 24th they can add as another "sub" because the person has bought a month sub along with the purchase of the game. I wouldnt be surprised if they do a sale next week or something like that.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I will definately take the free 1200 points. A nice present for current subscribers...

As far as doing the weekend trial. Most will say it's because the game is failing and although it does not have the huge blockbuster numbers that SWTOR had or GW2 will inevitably get; I don't feel that it really says the game is floundering.

I'd say it's still in a somewhat infant stage, trying to fix their chat issues and working out the other hard to nail down bugs. The game is not littered with bug's and is very, very functional.

PvP does need some work in the rewards department and cutting out a bit of the grind. They are working on PvP additions that should start showing their faces by the time the next monthly update rolls out.

If they can keep up on the progress I can see TSW being a really enjoyable game for most that try it in the future. There's tons of math in this title. It's not like GW2, or SWTOR, Rift, etc That have pretty much fix builds and ways you can play a class. The numbers game they have to play is much more fixed than what TSW is offering.. With the open skill system there's tons of different ways to mitch and match abilities along with and equal amount of passive skills to fiddle with.

These videos that you might see where a player is seeminly "Immortal / invicible" to large crowds in PvP is not the real PvP that happens IMO. It's not even close to what one would experience if they actually played the game. Those players made a build that's pretty much useless if anyone knows to simply ignore them.

All that flash and dance of regening hitpoints and having every hit glance off you is fairly empty when a studied eye takes a look at it. They can see the many, many flaws behind it that prevent it from being any type of "best build" or whatever..

TSW is not a major, major AAA title thats meant to draw in millions upon million of subscribers. It's a niche game, with a more mature and adult setting. The gameplay seconds this by having players build out their own skillset leaving options completely open to them (For the most part).

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

Originally posted by Grunties
    Originally posted by z4oslo

You could .. you know ... buy it?

50€ box price + 13€ monthly fee... less than 2 weeks before the gw2 release?

No.. just.. No

Don't forget the cash shop. Triple dippin. Gotta grab those monies while they can.

You don't have to buy one thing out of the cash shop to improve gameplay or advance. You could go your entire time playing and never open the cash shop.

It's purely cosmetic and purely optional. Just because they have the cash shop doesn't mean you have to use it.

Unless the system has it's grip on you like that; I don't really see the point in your post..

Originally posted by Opapanax

I will definately take the free 1200 points. A nice present for current subscribers...

As far as doing the weekend trial. Most will say it's because the game is failing and although it does not have the huge blockbuster numbers that SWTOR had or GW2 will inevitably get; I don't feel that it really says the game is floundering.

I'd say it's still in a somewhat infant stage, trying to fix their chat issues and working out the other hard to nail down bugs. The game is not littered with bug's and is very, very functional.

PvP does need some work in the rewards department and cutting out a bit of the grind. They are working on PvP additions that should start showing their faces by the time the next monthly update rolls out.

If they can keep up on the progress I can see TSW being a really enjoyable game for most that try it in the future. There's tons of math in this title. It's not like GW2, or SWTOR, Rift, etc That have pretty much fix builds and ways you can play a class. The numbers game they have to play is much more fixed than what TSW is offering.. With the open skill system there's tons of different ways to mitch and match abilities along with and equal amount of passive skills to fiddle with.

These videos that you might see where a player is seeminly "Immortal / invicible" to large crowds in PvP is not the real PvP that happens IMO. It's not even close to what one would experience if they actually played the game. Those players made a build that's pretty much useless if anyone knows to simply ignore them.

All that flash and dance of regening hitpoints and having every hit glance off you is fairly empty when a studied eye takes a look at it. They can see the many, many flaws behind it that prevent it from being any type of "best build" or whatever..

TSW is not a major, major AAA title thats meant to draw in millions upon million of subscribers. It's a niche game, with a more mature and adult setting. The gameplay seconds this by having players build out their own skillset leaving options completely open to them (For the most part).

According to Funcom's own projections TSW IS floundering. They do not even have as many subs as their poor projections. I do agree with you that, because it is a niche game, the numbers are about what I wouldve ventured. (But this does not change the fact that Funcom is below their numbers enough that investors are running or nervous)

I'm not any where near informed enough to speak on the actual cash numbers. That's investors concerns mainly. I'm sure like most other games that have come out and are getting ready to; that their projected numbers were somewhat inflated to draw in those investors in the first place...

So to see some run off in the negative position isn't surprising to me at all. Especially with the game being so niche in appeal to begin with.

Still the state of TSW and directions it numbers are heading is not anything really game-news breaking in my view. SWTOR still holds that crown and will for a very long time.

When I said "floudering" I was more speaking on the actual development of the game itself. Trying to chase down all the investor numbers isn't really my main concern when I'm playing a game..

But I respect your post all the same :)

Originally posted by dellirious13

According to Funcom's own projections TSW IS floundering. They do not even have as many subs as their poor projections. I do agree with you that, because it is a niche game, the numbers are about what I wouldve ventured. (But this does not change the fact that Funcom is below their numbers enough that investors are running or nervous)

The projection were for 1 year which they do not at this time think they will meet. To be honest I think those projections were given because they needed to be. 

The user scores are great, and retention is better than expected.  I think we all know now that lauch numbers are directly linked to advertising.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I have many friends who would love to try this game.  Here is the issue,  they work!  They get home later take of things and start to download the client, they wont get to play tonight because guess what, they work tomorrow.  They will get home from work tomorrow get a few hours and then the same thing on the next day.  Why not do this on a weekend or Thurs-Sat?  Instead when I ran this by the first person I got a hold of at work, his response was I won't be able to play that much since I work, by the time I install it, it will be even less.  Not worth it for him.   Maybe if you want new players, give them a chance to play when they have the time to play.  Seems like common sense to me.
    Originally posted by bcbully

The projection were for 1 year which they do not at this time think they will meet. To be honest I think those projections were given because they needed to be. 

The user scores are great, and retention is better than expected.  I think we all know now that lauch numbers are directly linked to advertising.

Where are these retention numbers you are talking about bully? They lost my whole cabal for 5 months because we finished all we wanted to (storyline, gear, dungeons and NM).  The retention rate they wanted was 50% for 1 year, 25% for one year, worst case. We shall see their retention rates when numbers come out on the 28th, until then you are misleading others and yourself by saying that their retention rate is "better than expected." In fact, according to the blurb they released on the 10th, one could assume that retention rates are also BELOW both projections (probably not the case, but it could be), which would mean retention of 25% which is terrible. (again, I don't think this is the case, but they were vague about whether it was mostly subs or also sub retention rate that was performing poorly).

Also: MMO Themeparks and ALL games are KNOWN for performing very poorly with post launch sales, unless the game gets majorly good reviews (which is, unfortunately, why many companies judge performance by metacritic review scores). The VGChartz sales for TSW ever since halfway through July are very very low (now i know this is just box sales, not digital sales. So digital sales, lets check Amazon, the #1 seller of digital video games (for online vendors, this isnt including steam/origin). TSW is ranked #81 in digital video game sales, and not even on the list for all video game sales. Tropico 3, Dark Strokes, Civ 4 (FOR MAC), Nancy Drew among others are all out selling TSW in digital sales. Yes, a digital copy, specifically for MAC, is outselling TSW.

This all translates to Funcom needing to do all they can to promote their game (including 3 day free trials, sales on the box price, etc) to sell more copies to potentially garner more subs.

Their projections were needed, yes, but too much below those numbers = not gaining enough money to pay back the over 25 million in loans for the game, future, etc. They have done some layoffs, which means that money is tight, too.

EDIT: To make it more clear, The #81 is for the recent couple weeks sales numbers that I was talking about in the previous sentence. Overall sales (based on 8 weeks worth of sales, all preorders/prepurchases are included in this number, because they are considered sold on the day of release) on Amazon put TSW at #65 for PC Games Digital ONLY during this 8 week period.

I'm not any where near informed enough to speak on the actual cash numbers. That's investors concerns mainly. I'm sure like most other games that have come out and are getting ready to; that their projected numbers were somewhat inflated to draw in those investors in the first place...

So to see some run off in the negative position isn't surprising to me at all. Especially with the game being so niche in appeal to begin with.

Still the state of TSW and directions it numbers are heading is not anything really game-news breaking in my view. SWTOR still holds that crown and will for a very long time.

When I said "floudering" I was more speaking on the actual development of the game itself. Trying to chase down all the investor numbers isn't really my main concern when I'm playing a game..

But I respect your post all the same :)

I respect your post too Opap, well thought out, was fun to read and got my mind thinking about aspects that I overlook ^^

• RoshaRosha Member UncommonPosts: 29

Actually having just done this, you don't.

If you were not on during the celebration weekend - you don' get it.  It's a miscommunication on the announcement and is only intended for new trial accounts that tried out the Celebration weekend, or new Trials now trying things as well.

Wife and I tried things out, did 30, no pop, did 10 more, still no pop, did some research found very little so dropped a petition

Some snips but the just of the conversation here:

[*Novadraxx|Game Master]: After reviewing your account information I am sorry but I am afraid you are not eligible for this reward, this is granted to players who complete these missions from accounts with celebration or trial keys.

[*Novadraxx|Game Master]: You were not eligible then either as you do not have celebration keys on your account. These rewards were not provided to ALL players of TSW, only those who were given access during the celebration weekend

To [Novadraxx]: Ahh, so it's -not- elligible for current subscribers at all?

[*Novadraxx|Game Master]: No I am sorry for the confusion

To [Novadraxx]: Ok, you guys should update your information at http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/sign_up_now_for_our_free_three_day_trial as it states we would get it

To [Novadraxx]: It's the verbiage around the "If you are already playing The Secret World, you are still eligible for Bonus Points if you did not earn them during the celebration weekend."

[*Novadraxx|Game Master]: I wil forward that, I understand how this has misled you and I am sorry.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I only got a chance to play the very start of the game tonight but it feels stiff and a little awkward compared to a game like WoW (combat and control wise). Will give it the old college try again later, but at least it doesn't seem to have that sliding problem GW2 has.
  • lustbustlustbust Member Posts: 38

i was sooooo tempted to buy this game at launch but i stopped myself over and over  because i was trying to save money and then somebody scammed 60$ from me a few days later for diablo 3 gold i sold long before...fml

now i get to try it :D!!!!!!!!!!

• xRaZAxxRaZAx Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    I have many friends who would love to try this game.  Here is the issue,  they work!  They get home later take of things and start to download the client, they wont get to play tonight because guess what, they work tomorrow.  They will get home from work tomorrow get a few hours and then the same thing on the next day.  Why not do this on a weekend or Thurs-Sat?  Instead when I ran this by the first person I got a hold of at work, his response was I won't be able to play that much since I work, by the time I install it, it will be even less.  Not worth it for him.   Maybe if you want new players, give them a chance to play when they have the time to play.  Seems like common sense to me.

Yes why dont them just try it on the weekend? Any weekend

you know the 3 days starts from the first day they log into the game... (its not limited to 15-18 aug)

Originally posted by bcbully

Where are these retention numbers you are talking about bully? 

The retention rate they wanted was 50% for 1 year, 25% for one year, worst case. 

In fact, according to the blurb they released on the 10th, one could assume that retention rates are also BELOW both projections 

"Funcom is pleased to see that gamer satisfaction is high"

"First indication of churn is more positive than for Age of Conan,"

"Also higher than expected sales are going directly through the online download stores like EA's Origin and Funcom's own storefront, generating more profitable sales for the company."

"A possible scenario going forward is that the game will sell less than both of the two above mentioned scenarios the first 12 months following launch, but with high customer satisfaction, it will generate a more stable subscriber base than the game Age of Conan. "

This is were I get "those numbers" (I didn't give any numbers though) from.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the vast majority of sale went thorugh funcom. The release on steam seems to be well recieved aswell.