Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Only the dead play World of Warcraft

Comments

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    Its amazing that someone caught this in the first place.  Its pretty funny if you ask me.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    This is awesome.  It takes a special kind of person who sees giberish and finds out that it means something.

By "special" I think you mean someone with waaaaaaaay too much time on their hands.

Or ArenaNet releasing the pic themselves as a player. Yes, I think that's the one.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647

Originally posted by Valua

Originally posted by Alot

In the image below you can see a gravestone with some sort of symbols carved into.

http://www.chroniclesoftyria.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/I-played-WoW-and-look-at-me-now.If-only-I-had-been-like-you-and-stuck-to-playing-GW2.1.jpg

These symbols come from the New Krytan alphabet and when translated you get:

"I played WoW and look at me now,
    if only I had been like you and stuck to playing Guild Wars 2."

Credits go to Jalinar for translating.
    Credits go to ANet for making this happen.
    Credits go to Alot for creating such a sensationalist thread.
    Credits go to littleXuro for ninja'ing me by 14 minutes.
    Credits go to (input name of easily enraged GW2 hater) for making this thread live (and die).

It's funny on one level, and very insensitive on another level.

You have to remember people HAVE actually died playing WoW, including children and babies, so making jokes about it doesn't really appeal to me. 

Death's due to MMO addiction (Most are due to WoW.) http://www.rpgownage.com/2011/03/697/

But end of the day, marketing is usually very insensitive and brutal. I seriously hope this has been photoshopped.

Also this isn't very original, it's been done before -

"You're not in Azeroth anymore!" Rift.

"Global Agenda: No Elves." Global Agenda.

Marketing like this only deters people who play and like WoW from playing the game. Which is a big mistake, with WoW making up nearly half of the western MMO playerbase.

I'll still get Guild Wars 2, but the above is just my opinion.

They aren't marketing it at all though. They put it on a tomb stone in gibberish, and someone with too much time on their hands found it . This isn't meant to be taken seriously. It's meant to be one of those "a-ha" moments, and then you move on with your life.

Originally posted by Papamac

Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by tank017
    Look at that, anet is no better than the trolls on this board

I think they're better at trolling than most on this board.

NOBODY trolls better than MMORPG.com trolls.

I don't know. I've seen some of the comments, and I'd say ArenaNet is the ultimate troll now.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I'll go with Photoshopped.

I cant check it out for real

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by TheBigDRC

Originally posted by Eir_S
    I just checked and someone reported the OP.  Oh God that made me laugh.  What rules did it even break?  Hurting WoW fans' feelings?   I'm beside myself with sympathy, I am.

What? Really?! Holy crap that's sad.

"WoW is my god, must defend against infidels!" I swear some people in MMOs just don't belong in them. image

Lmao, calling the kettle black coming from gw2 fans

That's the kicker, I'm not. I may play GW2 sooner or later but I'm not really a full-on fan. I'm more of a burnt-out MMO goer that's just spending time waiting for something different and poking fun at particular groups of people and the devs they follow. Mostly due to bad experiences, and if GW2 get's that way too for me, they'll be on the list.

In truth though, I am very much tired of WoW. Not going to lie, some aspects of it I DO like (miss holiday events) but I'm just tired of the game and some of the blizzlings that are in it.

Regardless, there's so many gw2 fanatics on this message board these days that'd worship the game as their god.The closer the launch date the more intense it gets lol.They're like a swarm of locust
  • TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

I just checked and someone reported the OP.  Oh God that made me laugh.  What rules did it even break?  Hurting WoW fans' feelings?  

I'm beside myself with sympathy, I am.

What? Really?! Holy crap that's sad.

"WoW is my god, must defend against infidels!" I swear some people in MMOs just don't belong in them. image

Lmao, calling the kettle black coming from gw2 fans

That's the kicker, I'm not. I may play GW2 sooner or later but I'm not really a full-on fan. I'm more of a burnt-out MMO goer that's just spending time waiting for something different and poking fun at particular groups of people and the devs they follow. Mostly due to bad experiences, and if GW2 get's that way too for me, they'll be on the list.

In truth though, I am very much tired of WoW. Not going to lie, some aspects of it I DO like (miss holiday events) but I'm just tired of the game and some of the blizzlings that are in it.

Regardless, there's so many gw2 fanatics on this message board these days that'd worship the game as their god.The closer the launch date the more intense it gets lol.They're like a swarm of locust

That's true, heh.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Kiljaedenas
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    This is awesome.  It takes a special kind of person who sees giberish and finds out that it means something.

By "special" I think you mean someone with waaaaaaaay too much time on their hands.

Or ArenaNet releasing the pic themselves as a player. Yes, I think that's the one.

Yes. I'm sure that ArenaNet is so lacking in marketing funds that they need to resort of releasing a pic on some obsucre message board in the hopes that it will take the net by storm.

Get real. LMAO!

• EmerwynEmerwyn Member Posts: 70
    ANet insult themselves with things like this. This is not humour, it's idiocy born out of a complex.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

In the image below you can see a gravestone with some sort of symbols carved into.

http://www.chroniclesoftyria.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/I-played-WoW-and-look-at-me-now.If-only-I-had-been-like-you-and-stuck-to-playing-GW2.1.jpg

Credits go to (input name of easily enraged GW2 hater) for making this thread live (and die).

Well, to learn that only the dead play WOW is a great relief to me. First trade chat, barrens chat, and that cyber bar on Moonguard all make sense now. Second, it looks like only about 10 million people went to hell and they are mostly Asian so my chances of landing in a good spot after the coffin are actually pretty good now.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

You have to remember people HAVE actually died playing WoW, including children and babies, so making jokes about it doesn't really appeal to me.

Oh for fuck's sake....

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

Oh for frack's sake....

I second that...Oh for frack's sake.

Edited to be Mod-friendly.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Lucrecia

Oh for frack's sake....

Isn't Frack the word they used on Battlestar Galactica?

Originally posted by Psychow

Oh for frack's sake....

Isn't Frack the word they used on Battlestar Galactica?

Yes. I loved that show but for some reason it anoyed the crap out of me every time they used "frack."

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    I'm pretty sure the dead don't have a sense of humor, nor, apparently, do a lot of WoW fans posting in this thread. Hmmm...the threat subject title might be on to something...

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Oh for fuck's sake....

I know, I read that and just facepalmed. Dead babies... ArenaNet has gone too far and made fun of dead babies.

• renadirenadi Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Varthander
    is that legal? to introduce such messages in a game, blaming other i mean, because dont seems so.

Do you think that you're not allowed to say... anything about your competitors?

Unless you're lying you can say anything you want, and this clearly doesn't fall in the category of lying.

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Well, to learn that only the dead play WOW is a great relief to me. First trade chat, barrens chat, and that cyber bar on Moonguard all make sense now. Second, it looks like only about 10 million people went to hell and they are mostly Asian so my chances of landing in a good spot after the coffin are actually pretty good now.

I mentioned this in a similar thread on guru. The joke is not saying that only the Dead play WOW.

It's a refrence to WoW's death penalty and a contrast to GW2's lack of one. If you'd play WoW and die you are stuck as a ghost wandering around until you find your TOMBSTONE. If you play GW2 and die you can port back to waypoint and you don't have to go find your tombstone. That's the joke. It's a jab at the WoW's death penalty and saying that it is inferior to GW2's in terms of actually playing the fun parts of the game.

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151

It's funny on one level, and very insensitive on another level.

Death's due to MMO addiction (Most are due to WoW.) http://www.rpgownage.com/2011/03/697/

I'll still get Guild Wars 2, but the above is just my opinion.

Holy Crap. This is just a simply light hearted jab at the WoW In-GAME death penalty. Where you wander around looking for your tombstone when you die. It was absolutly not a refrence to real-life deaths from video game addiction. 

Let me break down:

"I played WoW and look at me now" - he's now a ghost wandering around looking for the tombstone your reading

"if only I had been like you and stuck to playing Guild Wars 2." - if he was playing GW2 he wouldn't be a ghost wandering around looking for his tombstone. He'd/She'd be playing the game.

It most certianly isn't a cold hearted refrence to real deaths....

Oh for fuck's sake....

I know, I read that and just facepalmed. Dead babies... ArenaNet has gone too far and made fun of dead babies.

Except they actually have.

You're quite heartless and stick to still find this funny after the actual death's relating to WoW.

I'm seriously hoping it's photoshopped, otherwise this is very poor taste in humour from ArenaNet.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Oh for fuck's sake....

You're quite heartless and stick to still find this funny after the actual death's relating to WoW.

I'm seriously hoping it's photoshopped, otherwise this is very poor taste in humour from ArenaNet.

No, not really.

Oh for fuck's sake....

Get real. I mean seriously. People died from many activities, from food to sports to wars to playing videos and watching TV. Should we just stop joking about everything?

You know what the problem with this world is? Overly sensitive people.

And yes, I am quite heartless, thank you for noticing.

• LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891
    Originally posted by heartless

Oh for fuck's sake....

Get real. I mean seriously. People died from many activities, from food to sports to wars to playing videos and watching TV. Should we just stop joking about everything?

Well you haz my heart Heartless <3

Oh for fuck's sake....

If the tombstone said "I went to watch the Dark Knight Rises, now look at me" would you consider that funny also? 

You might argue that one was murder, the other was neglect of the child, but death is death at the end of the day.

Clearly this thread is filled with heartless people, or people who didn't know about death's relating to WoW.

Oh for fuck's sake....

Well you haz my heart Heartless <3

If I have your heart, than I can't be heartless anymore =P.

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    Seriously, does no one else see this as cheesy. im waiting for them to stand up and say "this isnt Azeroth anymore" like rift did.

nah, this is clever.  rift just flat out said that in their ads, which is just bad advertising