Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If SOE Announced SWG 2 I Bet You Lot Would Buy It

2»

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Zorgo
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Only if they rehired Koster to do it :p

I hear Brad McQuaid needs work too.....

Seems he doesn't need work since he is already working at SOE on Vanguard again.

As for a SWG2 how much I would love to see it being made I am also sure it will not be anything like pre-cu.

I mean do you think that if people already had trouble understanding freedom back at pre-cu that now suddenly people know what to do with so much freedom.

Nah I think history will repeat itself again. Not enough content, which showed back then that people who said that didn't understand the concept of freedom to do or become what ever you wanted within the Star Wars Universe, they didn't understand you didn't need a NPC to tell you to get 10 rancor hides, instead what they missed was understanding that rancor hide (just an example) was needed but was needed by other players (crafter"s). Players where the people who made the missions, but people who where new to gaming online only understand NPC giving them missions/quests so they complained till this genre became what it is today.

MMORPG started out as community games and with this I do not mean the guilded part. All sorts of solo players socialized because it was meaning atleast it was if you understood the concept of freedom within SWG.

And nope like many others I do not look at my SWG with rose tinted glasses, I know the game had plenty of buggs and issue's, some I encountered, I had my fair share of disappearing items which most of the time eventually got fixed for me and some things I never noticed like for example the lag issue.

Also due to the nature of the game being more in line of a sandbox game I could forgive the game for it's un-balanced nature, it made to game even more immersive, knowing no build has to be a copy, you actually got a chance of being unique. You never knew exactly someone else his/her build in pvp, again people complained allot about that and here we are today.

People seem to only recall Nancy McIntyre saying "The game had to much reading" but most ignore the fact that it was a constant complain on the forums where people kept making topics about "to much reading"..............Hi SWtOR ;)

Short version: Back at pre-cu SWG the majority complained. Allot of those complaints have brought us where this genre is today.

Perhaps some day some great gaming company would have the balls to produce a big budget A Tittle Sandbox MMORPG, but I don'rt think it's anytime soon. But I also think it's darn hard cause lets face it we of the old were there in different times. Today's generation has been grown up with everything at the their fingertips. So it will be harder and harder to please the majority who is used to having everything right away. Just wishing developers and gamecompany's alltogether would look at longterm reveneu instead of fast short term reveneu and needing to change their game so it needs to go F2P.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Cannot imagine myself playing game like SWG in freemium or f2p model. Cash shop just does not mix with this game type and SoE is all freemium now.

Besides after what they have done I don't believe that they would be able to resist temptation of streamlining, simplifying and generally gutting another game for "widest possible audience".

So nope.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

SWG didn't shutdown because it was too small. Vanguard survived with a fraction of the population of SWG. SWG shutdown because LucasArts pulled the plug on the IP license.

If someone, not sure SOE could pull it off, were to rerelease it as just Galaxies Online with all the Star Wars elements scrubed from the game, based on the Pre-NGE builds, then you bet I would buy it. In a heartbeat. It would be a big project though. NPCs and character races would need to be remodeled. Ships and building should need to be remodeled. Items would need to be remodeled and renamed. textures would need to be redone. Sound assets would need to be rerecorded. and of course all the storyline and quests would need to be rewritten from the ground up. But use the same basic design as a template with perhaps an updated engine and completely new art and I think you would have a great game. And it being a solid sandbox game, I think it would work with a subscription model. perhaps a sub + vanity shop like TSW.

All die, so die well.

• barezzbarezz Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Not going to happen.  LA would have to sign off on it, and for them TOR is the current vision.
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by fenistil

Cannot imagine myself playing game like SWG in freemium or f2p model. Cash shop just does not mix with this game type and SoE is all freemium now.

Besides after what they have done I don't believe that they would be able to resist temptation of streamlining, simplifying and generally gutting another game for "widest possible audience".

So nope.

Cash model could be special clothing schematics or unlocking more than one Profession mastery. it could actually work in SWG 2.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    SOE, hell no!
  • AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by barezz
    Not going to happen.  LA would have to sign off on it, and for them TOR is the current vision.

Thats embarassing.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Originally posted by fenistil

So nope.

Cash model could be special clothing schematics or unlocking more than one Profession mastery. it could actually work in SWG 2.

If that would work for you - sure.

While I can imagine myself playing themepark with cash shop. (it's hard as in example Lotro driven me out with it, but doable)

I could not imagine myself in sandbox with cash shop. 

For me kinda whole point is that ALL things in game are player made ONLY. 

Even totally vanity like with cosmetic clothing (or schematics for them does not matter - essentialy is the same thing for me) cash shop kills that and thus don't work for me. Rmah would be inacceptable also.

But it's just me it might work for other people.  There were f2p sandboxes already in history.

Other thing is inevitable enolution and expansion of cash shop  that happens sooner or later and brings more 'nasty' things.  That's a topic for whole other discussion though.

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    F ya I would

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Regarding how they are handling planetside 2, I would ;)