Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some clarification on F2P

I'm seeing a lot of misinformation being posted on this site regarding Vanguard's F2P model.

- NO, you don't have to pay money to wear ALL gear, just yellow / orange gear (read: raid drops, rare armor, or stuff like hunter's league armor and weapons which take a week or so to get). This kind of gear is HARD to come accross until the later levels, and at that point you should be invested enough to either sub, or tough it out til the end for raid drops and pay the freakin 10$ for a game you've played to level cap for FREE.

- NO, it is not as buggy as people are saying. I honestly don't know how people are getting such atrocious performance. I'm running a single geforce 460 GTX SE with 8gb RAM and a 3.3ghz dual-core AMD Phenom. I'm running off of a horrible AT&T U-verse connection. At maxed settings I get no hitching, lagging, rubberbanding, or anything of that sort.

- The purpose of Vanguard is NOT like other MMOs. You "veteran MMO players" who keep complaining about games not being worlds in which ti immerse yourselves anymore, why do you suddenly turn around and say "what good is a world to explore if I can't wear my raid armor?" Do you have ANY idea how long it takes to get to max level? Bringing me to my next point.

- This is NOT a game that starts at level cap. Gameplay in VG starts at level 1. Progression is one of the best elements in this game, combined with three different spheres in which to grow (you can do any and all of them if you want): crafting, diplomacy, and normal adventuring. I have been playing on and off for three years and I'm still only level 31 on my current toon. My old toon on Xeth was wiped out when he was level 28.

- Housing and boats rely on crafters, and crafting in this game is FAR beyond any other game's system, even EQ2.

- No progression spheres are locked out to a free player. Want to be a level 50 craftsman? Go nuts. Want to run around Telon with a poofy hat and gold-tipped cane as a diplomat? start talking. Want to kill things til level 50? you know what to do.

- Vanguard offers the ENTIRE game map and quest content for free. Nothing is cut off, and Vanguard has one of the biggest land masses in MMO history. Rent a flying mount at a starter zone and you'll very quickly understand what I am talking about.

- Housing is reserved for Gold members for a simple reason: There are a LIMITED number of plots for players to buy and settle on. if you offered housing free for everyone, Telon would run out of housing plots very quickly. Yes, housing and guild halls are persistent, not instanced, and exist in the game world. For example, I have a house right on the other side of a level 30 dungeon in Qalia.

- Boats and mounts are FOR EVERYONE. You do NOT have to buy a boat in the cash shop, since a lot of crafters also make them. Granted, it might be expensive in in-game gold but you still don't have to pay for it. Mounts are very cheap at early levels.

- The community in Vanguard is, bar none, the best I have ever seen. You never see someone getting blasted or told "just google it" in main chat. People are helpful.

Comments

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128

Yeah bro! You are right.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Well said my friend:).People just want it all for nothing.I am happy these types don't play anyway.I resubbed for 3 months a week ago and having great fun :)

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Good post op. People just love to moan and bitch - if the game is not 100% free (which would be absurd since the company is not a charity organizaton) today's mmo gamer seems to believe he's entitled to cry like there's no tomorrow.

I admit I was sceptical of the ftp matrix at first but after trying it I must say I don't understand what all the QQ is about. You get the whole world for free and you can play any race/class combo up to level 20 which means you have months of FREE content right there. Add the restriction-free crafting and diplomacy and there's even more FREE gameplay.

But I guess that's not enough for some people...
  • EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244

I've been a little bit back and forth in my opinion about the f2p, I was skeptic when the "test" launched a week early, I was afraid this was how it's was going to be, and that people would leave when they saw all the gear they couldn't use. But now things have changed and I feel the f2p model is decent and pretty fair. Probably not the best f2p model, but far FAR from being the worst, its actually looking pretty damn solid.

Your points hits the nail are straight on, even though you are slightly agressiv, which is not really a negative. Solid work.

There is one thing I would like to comment on however, and that is, just because the game runs flawlessly for YOU, doesn't mean others can't and won't have problems. That is a logic fallacy I see everywhere, and yes you can turn it around and say, just because I HAVE problems, doesn't mean everyone else is.

But in the end, I think 99,99% of all people would get decent performance if they do some research and tweaking. There are many guides who can help to gain performance if that is an issue.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

sorry but no bugs or hitching? definitely don't agree with that.

i was in VG beta and am a current subscriber, same issues with hitching then still exist in the game today.

its not a game breaker for me since there is no pvp but it is still really annoying.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

by the way i run VG on a i7 920 2.67 Ghz, 6 GB high performance DDR3 ram,single Raedon HD 6790

which is definitely not anywhere near high end but should be more than good enough to run VG flawlessly at high settings.

i get 60 FPS pretty much everywhere i go and it usually does run flawlessly except for the annoying hitching sometimes when i move initially.

• OntblodOntblod Member UncommonPosts: 195

Good post OP!

Vanguard is the best themepark MMO out there.

If people dont wanna see it, well thats not my loss really.

However, Im thinking on going to Telon server, most

people seem to play there, I just hope it doesnt kill my game....

• mate0377mate0377 Member UncommonPosts: 55

@OP

Look at Aion how they treat ex-subscribers (veterans)

I am ex-subscriber and I wont play the "ftp" version of vanguard.

The game has still many gamebreaking bugs as unplayable dungeons, some class abilities not working, stability problems...

If the game was top notch polished I would accept such a "ftp" model

Look at Aion they just released Aion 3.0 Thats a true ftp model. Vanguard doesnt stand a chance against Aion ftp model and will remain a ghost town until SOE realizes the situation

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    Originally posted by mate0377

@OP

The game has still many gamebreaking bugs as unplayable dungeons, some class abilities not working, stability problems...

Look at Aion they just released Aion 3.0 Thats a true ftp model. Vanguard doesnt stand a chance against Aion ftp model and will remain a ghost town until SOE realizes the situation

While it sucks to be one of the crowd (I started in beta and played through launch) the F2P "relaunch" was not targeted at appeasing those who have been giving the company money for years.  Sorry but those are the facts of the matter.

Aion has a great F2P model but you make it sound like there is only room for 1 F2P model in all the MMORPG universe.  Aion appeals to a certain crowd, much like Vanguard has to some (veterans) and now with the F2P launch, will soon again to others.

The model they are using is quite fair as F2P models go and offers a LOT more access to the overall game without asking you to spend a dime.

As a Vanguard vet (I'm assuming from your post you are) it seems down right silly to me you would be unhappy about an insurgence of new players which this game has so greatly needed.  Would you rather the game go the way of SWG?  I know I sure wouldn't.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by nhavas

I'm seeing a lot of misinformation being posted on this site regarding Vanguard's F2P model.

- NO, you don't have to pay money to wear ALL gear, just yellow / orange gear (read: raid drops, rare armor, or stuff like hunter's league armor and weapons which take a week or so to get). This kind of gear is HARD to come accross until the later levels, and at that point you should be invested enough to either sub, or tough it out til the end for raid drops and pay the freakin 10$ for a game you've played to level cap for FREE.

I wouldn't live off blue drops until end game since it's all about the journey for me. Doing something as simple as the URT quest line is going to cost $$ if I want to use the drops. And that's on all the alts, which can easily cost more than 1 months membership for altoholics. Next ..It's 14.99 a month not 10. We don't go by 3, 6 or 12 months plans when we talk about pricing here. A lot of people don't want to commit to that, hence why prices are always stated pr month when people post about these things. Currently .. and this is just my opinion VG isn't worth 15 a month and hasn't for a very long time, unless you are a diehard vet, there's no justification for 15 a month vs never MMOs that sees a lot more ongoing content + expansion. If it was a tenner I would be with you all the way on that point.

- NO, it is not as buggy as people are saying. I honestly don't know how people are getting such atrocious performance. I'm running a single geforce 460 GTX SE with 8gb RAM and a 3.3ghz dual-core AMD Phenom. I'm running off of a horrible AT&T U-verse connection. At maxed settings I get no hitching, lagging, rubberbanding, or anything of that sort.

When people talk about VG being buggy it's usually not "lag" they refer to. It's invisible mobs that follow you across chunks, It's getting stuck all over the place, falling through the earth, getting stuck on stairs, mobs that 'appear' alive, animation'wise when killed by damage shield, whole dungeons agroing due to buggy linked mobs, a buggy mentoring system that allows you to become a god mentoring down and chunking right after enabling you to do some crazy power leveling of lower level charcters (yes this has been reported to SoE time and time again + discussions on SoE's VG boards too)... I can go on and on about bugs in VG this is just a small fraction. Regardless  if you have seen any of these bugs or not they do exist, which you can confirm by going to the main boards if you like.

- The purpose of Vanguard is NOT like other MMOs. You "veteran MMO players" who keep complaining about games not being worlds in which ti immerse yourselves anymore, why do you suddenly turn around and say "what good is a world to explore if I can't wear my raid armor?" Do you have ANY idea how long it takes to get to max level? Bringing me to my next point.

You don't get to dictate what a players purpose is in VG or what VG is about. That's an opinion and an individual one at that.

- This is NOT a game that starts at level cap. Gameplay in VG starts at level 1. Progression is one of the best elements in this game, combined with three different spheres in which to grow (you can do any and all of them if you want): crafting, diplomacy, and normal adventuring. I have been playing on and off for three years and I'm still only level 31 on my current toon. My old toon on Xeth was wiped out when he was level 28. VG starts where ever the gamer decides it starts.. again you don't get to dictate if the game starts at 1. A player may miss out on 95% of VG by just grinding for endgame but that's his or her choice, there is no right or wrong way to play VG, just opinions and theirs is as good as yours.

To sum it up. Nothing in life is for free but some F2P pricing schemes are better than others. This one sucks donkey balls which is of course my opinion entirely.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Just the decent stuff then,   when you consider hunters league or swamp etc are some great quest lines then YES having to pay to enjoy the rewards absolutely blows.

Never had an issue on day 1 of VG way back when still don't have one now,   people always blew this out of proportion.

- This is NOT a game that starts at level cap. Gameplay in VG starts at level 1. Progression is one of the best elements in this game, combined with three different spheres in which to grow (you can do any and all of them if you want): crafting, diplomacy, and normal adventuring. I have been playing on and off for three years and I'm still only level 31 on my current toon. My old toon on Xeth was wiped out when he was level 28.

I think you somewhat exagerate the leveling,   I had a 50 or 55 Ranger (cant remember cap) within 3 month of launch Dungeons may have been easier to get back then but I doubt to that extent.

- Housing and boats rely on crafters, and crafting in this game is FAR beyond any other game's system, even EQ2.

No it doesnt its just like any other game and simply click to start with a chance to mess up but you can have some input on wether it messes up or not,   VG's crafitng is not innovative just infuriating.

- No progression spheres are locked out to a free player. Want to be a level 50 craftsman? Go nuts. Want to run around Telon with a poofy hat and gold-tipped cane as a diplomat? start talking. Want to kill things til level 50? you know what to do.

- Vanguard offers the ENTIRE game map and quest content for free. Nothing is cut off, and Vanguard has one of the biggest land masses in MMO history. Rent a flying mount at a starter zone and you'll very quickly understand what I am talking about.

Best world ever created IMO

- Housing is reserved for Gold members for a simple reason: There are a LIMITED number of plots for players to buy and settle on. if you offered housing free for everyone, Telon would run out of housing plots very quickly. Yes, housing and guild halls are persistent, not instanced, and exist in the game world. For example, I have a house right on the other side of a level 30 dungeon in Qalia.

- Boats and mounts are FOR EVERYONE. You do NOT have to buy a boat in the cash shop, since a lot of crafters also make them. Granted, it might be expensive in in-game gold but you still don't have to pay for it. Mounts are very cheap at early levels.

- The community in Vanguard is, bar none, the best I have ever seen. You never see someone getting blasted or told "just google it" in main chat. People are helpful.

The community was always good I can't comment on the state of it since F2P but I feel VG would alway sonly appeal to a certain type of player who is polite and well mannered online.

Even with point 1 I'd still play but I simply don't have the time I had in 2005 each week these days.   VG needs investment of time to truly enjoy such is the world of Telon.   The 2 hours I have spare to game these days would be lost on VG.

I don't think anyone would argue that VG needs some serious overhauls when it comes to old bugs/issues still in existence today.  It's no surprise to anyone who knows the game it has been neglected for years and yet still remained on the market due to it's veterans keeping it on life support.

Assuming SoE, as it has done with it's other F2P converts, fixes the long standing issues with the game in a timely (rather than just talked about, for YEARS) manner VG has it's chance to be the ONLY remaining "old school" MMO with as close to modern GFX as any can claim.

The reality is this, either VG was destined to go the way the way of SWG or, thankfully, what we have now.  If you are an old VG vet or just an "old school MMORPG style" vet regardless of your opinion of the current F2P model (which isn't really all that bad by any means, it's just not the BEST) you should be supporting this game.

Why?  You ask?  Since the release of VG what other game has come close to offering as much as VG does from a pure "old school MMORPG" perspective?  If VG fails in it's F2P form you can kiss goodbye to this/that style of MMORPGt, potentially forever as it would just serve to prove what the consumer wants vs asks for is not what a producer can/is willing to support.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the bottom line!

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

Spot on! 

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    The restrictions on the classes is whats keeping me from playing.
    Originally posted by Cromica

I'm sorry but the class/race restrictions in this case are intended as a trial.  You are NOT restricted, up to level 20, on any combination of class/race.  If after 20 levels (out of 55) you still can't find it in yourself to purchase access to the class/race combo you have picked, if in fact you still find yourself attracted to the game, then I'm sorry but you sir are a cheapskate. Especially considering you can purchase access to each class/race individually for far less than the total cost of $15 a month over the cost of a year or more.  F2P does not, and has never been, a totally free ride.  It just means that to a certain extent a portion of the game is in fact free to include initial access.

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Originally posted by miguksaram

I'm sorry but the class/race restrictions in this case are intended as a trial.  You are NOT restricted, up to level 20, on any combination of class/race.  If after 20 levels (out of 55) you still can't find it in yourself to purchase access to the class/race combo you have picked, if in fact you still find yourself attracted to the game, then I'm sorry but you sir are a cheapskate. Especially considering you can purchase access to each class/race individually for far less than the total cost of $15 a month over the cost of a year or more.  F2P does not, and has never been, a totally free ride.  It just means that to a certain extent a portion of the game is in fact free to include initial access.

The persons saying is one of these that is under "everyone is not entitled to have their own opinion" :) 

Its so funny that mmorpg.com is filled with users that have such a bad need to nag and nag and nag. Like they have this desire to be heard...Ah screw it. Back to Vanguard f2p.

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.

It has nothing to do with being a cheapskate, the game is just not worth spending money on imo. F2P and trial are two different things, pick one and stick with it.

• ultrastoatultrastoat Member Posts: 172

It has nothing to do with being a cheapskate, the game is just not worth spending money on imo. F2P and trial are two different things, pick one and stick with it.

Well your opinion is actually pretty invalid if you're not even going to try it.

Well your opinion is actually pretty invalid if you're not even going to try it.

I did try it, it was ok but still not worth any money.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    from reading the forums , buying a SSD Hd will smooth out hitching if you want to spend the money
  • CombspeCombspe Member UncommonPosts: 140

Cool story bro. Bottom line is Sony sucks and so does their so called Free to play model.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by mate0377

@OP

You are aware that Aion made less money than NC Soft wanted with this f2p system of theirs.

Either they are going to have to step up the "desirable items" or there very well might be small changes in their store.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • furidiamfuridiam Member UncommonPosts: 137

This is just not true.

I am probably the exact type of customer Vanguard would try to target. I am a old school mmo player and have found Vanguard quite fun to play. At lvl 11 though that ALL changed. Within 20 min of leaving the starter isle I had 5 items in my inventory that said "gold membership required to wear". This was not even top end gear but general crap.

• vgamervgamer Member Posts: 195

"- NO, you don't have to pay money to wear ALL gear, just yellow / orange gear (read: raid drops, rare armor, or stuff like hunter's league armor and weapons which take a week or so to get). This kind of gear is HARD to come accross until the later levels, and at that point you should be invested enough to either sub, or tough it out til the end for raid drops and pay the freakin 10$ for a game you've played to level cap for FREE."

So you admit it is a pay trap. Don't let my opinion stop you from your fun but it's a bad model. I can live with all the other restrictions but this is a 'pay or be gimp' feature. That's almost as bad as pay to win.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    from reading the forums , buying a SSD Hd will smooth out hitching if you want to spend the money

For a game that released in 2007?

Not a fucking chance.