Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

GW2 Already Making a Huge Impact

fat_taddlerfat_taddler Wanaque, NJPosts: 286Member

Beyond the obvious timing of some MMO release dates to coincide with GW2, Trion announced today that they are implementing what they call "PvP Normalization" in their next patch.   Apparently, PvP Normalization is taking away the PvP specific stat benefits from gear to make it more about player skill.

I applaud ANet for forcing other developers to re-evaluate these aging MMO concepts, but you really gotta feel sorry for all the people who spent weeks / months grinding PvP just to have their stats go *poof*.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/15/rift-breaking-down-faction-walls-and-normalizing-pvp-in-1-10/

 

 

«13456710

Comments

  • KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon
    A first step towards good pvp.

    image


    image

  • BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member
    So you got SWTOR going F2P.  WoW, TSW and RIFT releasing patches & expansions on or close to the GW2 release date.  Guess we should start calling it the GW2 effect.
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Mesa, AZPosts: 1,090Member

    So Trion is copying yet another feature of an existing MMO competitor?  I'm stunned.  Really, I am.  Still waiting for those guys to have an original idea of their own.  

    Not a big fan of "normalization," btw.  I like progression, and I like the fact that the more time you put into playing a game, the more it benefits you.  Still, it may very well work for GW2, since they've designed their entire game, and all its systems, around this core concept.  I don't see this working for Rift, however.  Not sure how much skill actually goes into tab-target combat to begin with.  And taking away progression from a mostly lobby-based PvP game like Rift seems to be a bad idea.  If you are going to put everyone on equal footing, you've got to design your game that way from the get-go.  

    Just my two cents.

  • aionixaionix Fremont, OHPosts: 292Member

    Strange, but I didn't really see GW2 actually making such an impact.  I mean I knew it would probably end the use of subscriptions for most MMO's, but actually gameplay changes such as this are a suprise.  Maybe we will actually see some changes in the industry post WoW-mechanics. 

     

    Only time wll tell if GW2 mechanics are on the right track or not.  Either way, it'll be interesting for all who enjoy mmo's :)

  • gravesworngravesworn charleston, WVPosts: 324Member
    Originally posted by Badaboom

    So you got SWTOR going F2P.  WoW, TSW and RIFT releasing patches & expansions on or close to the GW2 release date.  Guess we should start calling it the GW2 effect.

     

    I like it. Lol. Hopefully we are seeing a dawn of innovation. Not that i am saying from what i have seen of gw2 is particularly innovative. It does possess the possibility though. Watching these games scrambling makes it fun too.
  • terrantterrant Virginia Beach, VAPosts: 1,683Member
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

    So Trion is copying yet another feature of an existing MMO competitor?  I'm stunned.  Really, I am.  Still waiting for those guys to have an original idea of their own.  

    Not a big fan of "normalization," btw.  I like progression, and I like the fact that the more time you put into playing a game, the more it benefits you.  Still, it may very well work for GW2, since they've designed their entire game, and all its systems, around this core concept.  I don't see this working for Rift, however.  Not sure how much skill actually goes into tab-target combat to begin with.  And taking away progression from a mostly lobby-based PvP game like Rift seems to be a bad idea.  If you are going to put everyone on equal footing, you've got to design your game that way from the get-go.  

    Just my two cents.

    There are no original ideas. I love GW2, but I'll be the first to admit it has nothing original, any more that Rift does.

     

    Rift took PQs and put an interesting (if flawed) spin on them. It encouraged exploring and collecting. It has some fairly interesting class archeytpes (Saboteur and Archon always struck me as being cool and at least a little different)

     

    Also, who said Progression is being taken away here? They took away the PvP stats. Yay. Ever consider visual progression (better playres have cooler looking gear)? What about an in-game ladder system where you can be ranked? Achievements are a form of progression too.

     

    Nice to see Rift doing what it does best- taking good ideas from other people and tweaking them. Keep it up and I might even want to play the game again.

  • DemogorgonDemogorgon New York, NYPosts: 206Member Common
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

    Beyond the obvious timing of some MMO release dates to coincide with GW2, Trion announced today that they are implementing what they call "PvP Normalization" in their next patch.   Apparently, PvP Normalization is taking away the PvP specific stat benefits from gear to make it more about player skill.

    I applaud ANet for forcing other developers to re-evaluate these aging MMO concepts, but you really gotta feel sorry for all the people who spent weeks / months grinding PvP just to have their stats go *poof*.

    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/15/rift-breaking-down-faction-walls-and-normalizing-pvp-in-1-10/

     

     

    Dude, they are RPGs concepts NOT MMOs one.

    RPG has never been about PvP, but a lot more about cooperative gameplay.

    I'm not saying that there can't be PvP, but it has to be well thought out and never against what makes an RPG, aka progression.

    I get it, many of you love PvP... Rejoice then, there's a lot of game coming up that cater to your preferences. Just don't be confused about what type of game you like. They aren't real MMORPG imho.

  • MattVidMattVid Terre Haute, INPosts: 399Member

    All Trion does is copy every game mechanic ever made and puts it into their own game. They are not progressing the genre at all, just plagarizing everything else other people do. I can't be surprised that they are doing something like this. While I applaud them for how much content and work they put into the game (making the sub fee worth it), everything feels like a total rip off and not as fresh and new as more innovative designers create. I think the main reason I lost interest in the game was because they kept dumbing everything down to easy mode levels of play.

     

    I want to play a game, not watch a boring ass movie of my character auto attacking stuff down.

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member

    Guild Wars already had normalization since 2005

    but glad to see others trying it

  • IstavaanIstavaan CorkPosts: 1,350Member
    Guild wars 2 is going to do to wow what wow did to every other mmo, make it conform .
  • laokokolaokoko TaipeiPosts: 2,003Member
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    So you got SWTOR going F2P.  WoW, TSW and RIFT releasing patches & expansions on or close to the GW2 release date.  Guess we should start calling it the GW2 effect.

     

    ya, this is the Guild Wars 2 site btw.  And with so many fans.

  • laokokolaokoko TaipeiPosts: 2,003Member

    Guild Wars 2 is the best game ever.  They keep pushing out with original ideas. 

    We can all see Guild wars 2 pushing the genre foward.  Starting with normalized gear.  This idea will become the standard of future mmorpg.  And thanks to Guild Wars we can all enjoy and appreciate normalized pvp where skill is the only thing that matters.

  • SaydienSaydien StuttgartPosts: 266Member

    I heard GW2 made pig flies somewhere deep in China.

    Nah seriously, those assumptions are questionable at best. Just seems like yet another GW2 follower trying to kill time by creating yet another silly thread.

  • TigerAeroTigerAero Fort Campbell, KYPosts: 127Member
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    So you got SWTOR going F2P.  WoW, TSW and RIFT releasing patches & expansions on or close to the GW2 release date.  Guess we should start calling it the GW2 effect.

     

    No way in hell is any of this directly related to GW2. I mean in the back of their minds they see the GW2 people as still possible customers since it's B2P. Soon as you make the purchase it's done...you have no more reason to remain "aligned" with the company and hope the best for them. You are "in and out" the minute you hit the purchase button.

  • mustang2750mustang2750 Massapequa Park, NYPosts: 33Member
    Originally posted by MattVid

    All Trion does is copy every game mechanic ever made and puts it into their own game. They are not progressing the genre at all, just plagarizing everything else other people do. I can't be surprised that they are doing something like this. While I applaud them for how much content and work they put into the game (making the sub fee worth it), everything feels like a total rip off and not as fresh and new as more innovative designers create. I think the main reason I lost interest in the game was because they kept dumbing everything down to easy mode levels of play. I want to play a game, not watch a boring ass movie of my character auto attacking stuff down.

     

    Replace Trion with Apple/IPhone and you would have a better post.

    In all seriousness, Blizzard copied every MMO concept ever made too. Every company copies every MMO concept and changes it with their own twist. Trion has done an awesome job with Rift and it is currently the best MMO out there til GW2 releases imo.
  • OziiusOziius Baltimore, MDPosts: 1,388Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

    Beyond the obvious timing of some MMO release dates to coincide with GW2, Trion announced today that they are implementing what they call "PvP Normalization" in their next patch.   Apparently, PvP Normalization is taking away the PvP specific stat benefits from gear to make it more about player skill.

    I applaud ANet for forcing other developers to re-evaluate these aging MMO concepts, but you really gotta feel sorry for all the people who spent weeks / months grinding PvP just to have their stats go *poof*.

    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/15/rift-breaking-down-faction-walls-and-normalizing-pvp-in-1-10/

     

     

    You guys are really starting to reach a bit here. These changes come along all the time. Eq2 put out a patch to rework pvp armor stats weeks ago. Was that due to Gw2 also? Could it be something that players have been requesting for some time now and their just getting around to patching it? 

     

    I'll be playing gw2 also on the 25th - the difference is that I won't be needing it to be what most of you will. I'm just going in hoping for fun. I really hope it lives up to all of your expectations. Some of you are building up quite the glass that will need to be filled....

  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Denison, TXPosts: 576Member Uncommon

    Guild Wars 2

     

    The beginning of a new age.

  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Privacy Preferred, NCPosts: 1,059Member

    Thanks to GW2, I guess one could compare the current state of the MMO world to a global mobilization of military forces to deal with the imminent threat of alien invasion... Personally, I am stockpiling doughnuts and sweet beer.

  • OziiusOziius Baltimore, MDPosts: 1,388Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by laokoko

    Guild Wars 2 is the best game ever.  They keep pushing out with original ideas. 

    We can all see Guild wars 2 pushing the genre foward.  Starting with normalized gear.  This idea will become the standard of future mmorpg.  And thanks to Guild Wars we can all enjoy and appreciate normalized pvp where skill is the only thing that matters.

    So gw2 was the first game to have pvp gear where stats didn't matter? Good to know. Glad you did your research. 

  • newbinatornewbinator LA, CAPosts: 780Member

    Not a fan of "normalization". In fact, it's something that would make me quit a MMORPG. But I don't play Rift, so I don't care.

    Character Progression > Equality

    When I want equal playing field where time invested doesn't = advantage, I play FPS games.

  • KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by newbinator

    Not a fan of "normalization". In fact, it's something that would make me quit a MMORPG. But I don't play Rift, so I don't care.

    Character Progression > Equality

    When I want equal playing field where time invested doesn't = advantage, I play FPS games.

    But you see, time invested does equal advantage. You get better at it and of course have more knowledge. Same as practicing a sport, you dont buy +10 boots of passing ability. You just get better with practice at the skill.

    image


    image

  • laokokolaokoko TaipeiPosts: 2,003Member
    Originally posted by Praetalus
    Originally posted by laokoko

    Guild Wars 2 is the best game ever.  They keep pushing out with original ideas. 

    We can all see Guild wars 2 pushing the genre foward.  Starting with normalized gear.  This idea will become the standard of future mmorpg.  And thanks to Guild Wars we can all enjoy and appreciate normalized pvp where skill is the only thing that matters.

    So gw2 was the first game to have pvp gear where stats didn't matter? Good to know. Glad you did your research. 

    No, but GW1 is lol.  And if you start telling me about games like DoTA, starcraft, or LoL, let me tell you they are not MMORPG.  And we are at a mmorpg forum so that indicrectly says we are only talking about mmorpg.

    Not to mention all those mmorpg try to do normalized gear failed, and a failed game which no one plays don't count.

    But people care about GW2, because they created the "standard" of the current market and the future.

  • MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,255Member Uncommon

    just curious,

     

    but since GW2 is the new thing now days, when will it be ok to start blaming GW2 for all the MMO genre issues?

     

    thats been on my mind for a while now.

    image

  • laokokolaokoko TaipeiPosts: 2,003Member
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

    just curious,

     

    but since GW2 is the new thing now days, when will it be ok to start blaming GW2 for all the MMO genre issues?

     

    thats been on my mind for a while now.

    You want to bash GW2? what's wrong with GW2.  It's a game for everyone.  It's only 60$ with no pay 2 win cashshop.  A AAA mmorpg which don't require you to pay a sub fee. 

    Not to mention it have normalized pvp.  Where skill matters and not how much you grind.  What is there to blame about GW2?  Other games failed because they suck. 

  • AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member

    good for Trion.. personally I'm a fan of the non gear based PVP.. now saying that hopefully they put in some cool gear for cosmetic purposes to give a little extra incentive. I personally don't mind straight skill based PVP but like little something to look forward too and cosmetic gear is fine with me.

     

    However I don't think this is going to sit right with current PVPers in that game.. but who knows.

    I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

«13456710
Sign In or Register to comment.