Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Firefall: The Summer Milestone Has Landed

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Red 5 Studios has made some major changes to their upcoming free-to-play MMOFPS, FireFall, and we've got the full scoop in our latest hands-on preview!

Recently, Red 5 deployed what it’s calling the Firefall ‘Summer Milestone’, a very significant update to the game that overhauls a number of the game’s Battleframes (classes) in response to player feedback and is aimed at addressing the game’s difficulty curve and skill cap. In short, players (and the developers) considered Firefall to be “easy to learn, easy to master” and this latest update is primarily meant to address that issue.  I’m not going to get into the intricate details of the updates to the game’s various Battleframes, but suffice it to say, at least while playing my Recon, things have been vastly different (go here if you do want all the details!).

Read more of Michael Bitton's FireFall: The Summer Milestone Has Landed.

Comments

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Well nice, this game will find player base but i want some ultra realistic mmofps, something like single player S.T.A.L.K.E.R . Get bored with all of this tribes, planetside console graphic.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Just cant seem to get an invite to this game. If anyone is willing - please hook it up! Been looking forward to playing this beast for a loong time!
  • KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    I have a spare invite, convince me why you should get it.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625

I have been following this game for quite some time. While I love the idea of an MMOFPS - I wasn't really interested in Firefall's previous incarnations. However, the last 3 major patch updates that I have seen videos for are very impressive, and I'm really looking forward to playing this game. It really seems as if the devs truly listen to the community's feedback, and they have since changed it to a skill based game, instead of the typical linear progression which has bored me to death over the years.

You see... it all started when I was a child and my friends took me to a place called Super Software. In the back of the store they had 4 computers all networked together lanning Doom 2. I had never played a computer game at this point, only consoles such as Nintendo and Sega. I was instantly hooked on Doom 2 and literally played that night until the store closed. At first, I was not very good. Luckily, it was summer, and everyday I would go up to that store and play from open to close. Eventually it got to the point where I would literally beat everyone that would come up there to play. The manager was a really cool person, and he would take my buddy and I home after playing for a few hours after the store closed. We were only like 13-14 at the time, so we didn't have a car. Eventually I got my own computer, and didn't have to go up to the store anymore, so I was able to hop on to the DWANGO bbs and pwn noobs (before the phrase pwn noobs even existed!).  One time I got to play a game with John Romero and a friend of his in a 2v2 match for a tournament. We lost, but it was extremely fun. A few years later I met some gaming friends (irl!) who liked to game like me. We eventually started playing Quake 1 & 2 and formed a team. We eventually found out about Quakecon and another tournament called the CPL (Cyberathelete professional league). We would compete at this gigantic lan for Quake 2 and we always lost. It was sad, but very fun. Then came counter-strike. 

Counterstrike was our game. We were instantly addicted! It was all we played! We went to our first tournament not knowing what to expect, and we won! Finally, a taste of victory! After feeling a bit of fame, we decided to give this a real go. Practicing and making real strategies - we ended up winning our next 2 tournaments. Suddenly, we were the team to beat. We had fans and glory! Granted.. at this time CS was not the main tournament at CPL, but it was getting there. The next event was Babbages CPL event in the year 2000. They decided Counter-Strike was going to be the primary game... and guess what?? For the first time ever - international teams were flying to the US to play this game. Since we were the team to beat, everyone kind of expected us to win. We had people interviewing us and all sorts of mess. We ended up meeting some of the Euro teams that had made their way to the US, and they were really nice people. Especially the mTw German team.. man those guys were great. So far we had won all of our games, and even conquered our best american rivals.. a team called CK3. So now it was time to face a team called Eyeballers who we had never heard of, as they were from Sweden. This did not go so well. Sadly we ended up losing 13-9. The team was incredibly aggressive, and had the aim of robots! They were amazing! That loss unfortunately took us out of the tournament.. and Eyeballers ended up winning the entire thing. No other team came as close as we did to beating them.. and that started the reign of the Euro domination.. for a little while at least.. I could go on and on.. but I would hate to make this a long story!

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by afropuff420

I have been following this game for quite some time. While I love the idea of an MMOFPS - I wasn't really interested in Firefall's previous incarnations. However, the last 3 major patch updates that I have seen videos for are very impressive, and I'm really looking forward to playing this game. It really seems as if the devs truly listen to the community's feedback, and they have since changed it to a skill based game, instead of the typical linear progression which has bored me to death over the years.

You see... it all started when I was a child and my friends took me to a place called Super Software. In the back of the store they had 4 computers all networked together lanning Doom 2. I had never played a computer game at this point, only consoles such as Nintendo and Sega. I was instantly hooked on Doom 2 and literally played that night until the store closed. At first, I was not very good. Luckily, it was summer, and everyday I would go up to that store and play from open to close. Eventually it got to the point where I would literally beat everyone that would come up there to play. The manager was a really cool person, and he would take my buddy and I home after playing for a few hours after the store closed. We were only like 13-14 at the time, so we didn't have a car. Eventually I got my own computer, and didn't have to go up to the store anymore, so I was able to hop on to the DWANGO bbs and pwn noobs (before the phrase pwn noobs even existed!).  One time I got to play a game with John Romero and a friend of his in a 2v2 match for a tournament. We lost, but it was extremely fun. A few years later I met some gaming friends (irl!) who liked to game like me. We eventually started playing Quake 1 & 2 and formed a team. We eventually found out about Quakecon and another tournament called the CPL (Cyberathelete professional league). We would compete at this gigantic lan for Quake 2 and we always lost. It was sad, but very fun. Then came counter-strike. 

Counterstrike was our game. We were instantly addicted! It was all we played! We went to our first tournament not knowing what to expect, and we won! Finally, a taste of victory! After feeling a bit of fame, we decided to give this a real go. Practicing and making real strategies - we ended up winning our next 2 tournaments. Suddenly, we were the team to beat. We had fans and glory! Granted.. at this time CS was not the main tournament at CPL, but it was getting there. The next event was Babbages CPL event in the year 2000. They decided Counter-Strike was going to be the primary game... and guess what?? For the first time ever - international teams were flying to the US to play this game. Since we were the team to beat, everyone kind of expected us to win. We had people interviewing us and all sorts of mess. We ended up meeting some of the Euro teams that had made their way to the US, and they were really nice people. Especially the mTw German team.. man those guys were great. So far we had won all of our games, and even conquered our best american rivals.. a team called CK3. So now it was time to face a team called Eyeballers who we had never heard of, as they were from Sweden. This did not go so well. Sadly we ended up losing 13-9. The team was incredibly aggressive, and had the aim of robots! They were amazing! That loss unfortunately took us out of the tournament.. and Eyeballers ended up winning the entire thing. No other team came as close as we did to beating them.. and that started the reign of the Euro domination.. for a little while at least.. I could go on and on.. but I would hate to make this a long story!

Well done.

PM me your email address, please and thank you.

• redknight67redknight67 Member Posts: 4
    if someone have extra key it will be nice to give me :D because im following this game for a loong time and i almost killed myself when i missed alienware 9k beta key giveaway if someone got extra key he can send me on [email protected] thx :D
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

great game- great dev team- great changes!

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by redknight67
    if someone have extra key it will be nice to give me :D because im following this game for a loong time and i almost killed myself when i missed alienware 9k beta key giveaway if someone got extra key he can send me on [email protected] thx :D

did u get one yet? PM me with email.

• dark3xddark3xd Member Posts: 13

2 spare invites going. 

Send me a pm with your email addresses. I'll give them on a first come first serve basis

• guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350
    what i love about this game is the  firend invite system,  if you want in THIS game  your ASS is gettting in  lol

It..Burns..

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Been in the Beta for a long ass time.  What was a shallow game not worth logging into is now a somewhat decent Beta with some... not a lot of content.  I log in and que for PvP and that's it.  The PvE is boring and the game needs a lot of work still.  

Plenty of balance issues... I do approve of their goal for E-Sports.  I hope it succeeds... but the game is no CS:GO and not going to take over for any of my major game time just yet.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• TatercakeTatercake Member UncommonPosts: 286

well damn i dont have any friends playing this game that sux for me been watching it for a year now looks like ill have to sit intell it comes out

• dobytime24dobytime24 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Have been playing the PlanetSide 2 beta and I've enjoyed it. This game seems to be up the same ally in a few aspects. Would love to give this a try if anyone has a spare key. I love the fact that it originates from a manga and from the looks of it. It has sort of a borderlands meets PlanetSide. 

• sofbertsofbert Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Would love to try this game as well, if anyone is abl to provide an invite. Big fan of crafting and gathering since most games tend to just gloss over that and focus on other things. 
  • WonderweissMWonderweissM Member UncommonPosts: 127

Hey I have following this game for a few months now, and I am really excited to play this game. If someone could send me an Invite, I would be very appreciative. I will PM you my address if that is neccessary. Thanks :D

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

People forget this is small studio taking their time with content to get the playerbase involved in shaping the direction of the game.  Most of the complaints about Firefall come from people who when you get down to it are complaining their test drvie actually turned into real beta testing.  The bad news this game is gonna take awhile, the good news the finished product will be worth playing , no one has done an open world shooter with mmo elements in it that was worth playing.  Also the first few months of testing was nothing but pvp testing pve has taken a backseat for awhile and is now playing catch up.

• amikobamikob Member UncommonPosts: 29
    JUST give me a KEY !!! :)
  • stevo5566stevo5566 Member Posts: 121
    Been trying to get in so many Closed beta's. Tried to get into MoP's Beta, Planet side 2 Beta and no luck from either. One of the things i really want to do is test out the games and actually find bugs and such to improve the game. I enjoy FPS games like this and wish to be a tester soon. If anyone has any spare keys and wants to provide them to people who actually want to test this game, we would be more than happy to accept a key. Especially me, just want to test a game in the beta stage.

F.B.I

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Neat, I hope it releases soon.  I enjoyed the brief time in an early beta and it sounds like they've tweaked the game a lot, so it should be a nice alternative to when I'm not playing GW2 and just want to shoot things.
  • ChosedarkChosedark Member UncommonPosts: 13
    I would love to try this game. The concept looks great. If anyone has a spare key pm me!
  • kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142
    Really interested in trying this game out if anyone has a spare key theyd be willing to pass my way just PM me and I'll drop you my email add. I've been looking for a good MMOFPS for quite some time and have always enjoyed the crafting aspect of games. From what I have seen so far this game seems like it may be just what I'm looking for. I'm also a very experienced alpha/beta tester for numerous games over the years who loves to help advance a game with detailed feedback and bug reports I just haven't been able to get into this one quite yet.
  • haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253
    with every update this game looks better and better ... would love to give it a try but had no luck with beta keys ... but since my time is limited now, I'll wait some more ...
  • TheMaelstromTheMaelstrom Member UncommonPosts: 393
    Originally posted by dobytime24
    Have been playing the PlanetSide 2 beta and I've enjoyed it. This game seems to be up the same ally in a few aspects. Would love to give this a try if anyone has a spare key. I love the fact that it originates from a manga and from the looks of it. It has sort of a borderlands meets PlanetSide. 

You have a PM.

No godless person can comprehend those minute distinctions
    in doctrine that provide true believers excuse for mayhem.
    -Glen Cook

• AuzyAuzy Member UncommonPosts: 611
    Looking for a spare key if anyone has! Need a shooter fix! Thanks!

P.S. Ron Swanson for president

Uhh... what?

• dobytime24dobytime24 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Check your inbox. Thank you again.