Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

WOW strikes first.

Comments

• YakkinYakkin irvine, CAPosts: 919Member
    Originally posted by azmundai

Originally posted by Xobdnas
    This is going to kill blizzard, heres why. Head starters will play GW2 for a few days and be blown away, then they log into WOW and get totally underwhelmed by how little it has progressed, even with the new patch. They then cancel WOW and reamain in GW2.

I remember reading 100s of posts saying the exact same thing about swtor.

Honestly, I kinda hope GW2 lights a fire under WoWs ass; at the very least, Blizzard will need to actually start putting some effort into maintaining their throne, because I think Blizzard got way too comfortable over the years and way too dependent on WoW; the lack of new IPs is indicative of this IMO.

• jdnycjdnyc Long Island City, NYPosts: 1,696Member

True.  But that was more delusional than anything else honestly.  GW2 is grounded more in reality.

Nothing lasts forever.  It just doesn't.  Is this the end for WoW.  Who knows, but it honestly is the first serious contender to come around...well...ever.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

This is going to kill blizzard, heres why. Head starters will play GW2 for a few days and be blown away, then they log into WOW and get totally underwhelmed by how little it has progressed, even with the new patch. They then cancel WOW and reamain in GW2.

Maybe, but not from me, nor from people at my level of MMORPGnerdness. Check my history, I was very clear SWTOR would flop, flop hard, and be dead in no time. I said it from the first concept art on through beta (which I was in) onto now.

Point is, when I say GW2 is gonna put the hurt on WOW, trust me, GW2 gonna put the hert on that beeiotch.

GW will hit around 2 mill and grow form there but at a slower pace, while WOW will eventually lose 1-2 mill to GW2 and keep on the decline.

The WOW word is dead. Unless you have a quest you have 0 reason to bother with it. Any named or interesting mobs are all for quests and give you 0 for finding/killing them. They put 8 years of expansions into killing the feeling that your in an MMO and turned it into a dungeon crawler, sad, not as sad as SWTOR, but pretty sad.

Maybe, but not from me, nor from people at my level of MMORPGnerdness. Check my history, I was very clear SWTOR would flop, flop hard, and be dead in no time. I said it from the first concept art on through beta (which I was in) onto now.

Point is, when I say GW2 is gonna put the hurt on WOW, trust me, GW2 gonna put the hert on that beeiotch.

GW will hit around 2 mill and grow form there but at a slower pace, while WOW will eventually lose 1-2 mill to GW2 and keep on the decline.

Or the 1 - 2 million people who leave WoW will just leave MMOs all together.

I do think GW2 will do well, but I don't think every sub that leaves WoW is necessarily gonna go to GW2.

• ValentinaValentina Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,675Member Uncommon
    they can strike all they want, but their time is coming to a close. not just because of gw2 but because people are just moving onto many other games in general.
  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

The WOW word is dead. Unless you have a quest you have 0 reason to bother with it. Any named or interesting mobs are all for quests and give you 0 for finding/killing them. They put 8 years of expansions into killing the feeling that your in an MMO and turned it into a dungeon crawler, sad, not as sad as SWTOR, but pretty sad.

Gah.... don't remind me.  I remember almost hearing an audible click when I found out that Blizz removed the elite status from some of their really challenging world mobs that you could just barely solo if you had the right class (and spec: ie: tank).  Now they fall to a gentle breeze and there is no point in doing, for example, the Nessingwary quests.  They're easy now, just like every other quest from 1 to 85.  It's insulting!  I never took the game as seriously after that.

Why did they do this?  Because people complained it was too hard to find groups for them.  WoW was never a huge social game unless you were raiding anyway, due to their lack of scaling.  You couldn't even play with friends if you wanted to because of severe level differences, and no one likes halting their character's progression for other people to catch up.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts El Do, KSPosts: 1,555Member
    Oh good another rushed desperation patch to further alienate their already faltering playerbase. 

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• LydonLydon Cape TownPosts: 2,913Member Uncommon
    All Guild Wars 2 needs to do is sell boxes in order to be a success. A WoW patch is unlikely to convince many - if any - to cancel their orders of a completely new game only to play more of what they've been playing for 8 years.

• VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon
    It's a shame most people will already be 3 days into GW2 by the 28th and will probably totally forget about WoW's patch. If they did do it on purpose they are pretty dumb because they should have done it on the 25th.
  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Oh good another rushed desperation patch to further alienate their already faltering playerbase. 

Is it rushed or is it just bad?  I know most people I've seen talking about it are NOT fans of the talent system changes.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts El Do, KSPosts: 1,555Member
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts

Is it rushed or is it just bad?  I know most people I've seen talking about it are NOT fans of the talent system changes.

No idea. I played  a free demo of WoW for about 2 hours years ago and was thoroughly not impressed. Haven't glanced in it's dire1tion since. Just know it's the responsible for the decline of the thinking man's MMO.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• GhavriggGhavrigg Halifax, NSPosts: 775Member Uncommon

So people are bashing WoW because Blizzard is smart when it comes to competition? Putting this patch out will keep their existing playerbase (for the most part) from having their minds wander and stop them from being bored enough to try something new.

While both games aren't directly in competition with each other due to the different business models, they ARE both the same genre, and Blizzard doesn't wanna risk people getting hooked on different game mechanics that don't exist in WoW. This is pretty much a necessary move on their part to keep the subscriber loss to a minimum.

I don't think they're worried about losing the majority of their playerbase to GW2 or anything even remotely close, however.

• ClobClob St. Cloud, MNPosts: 130Member
    I was just thinking that Blizzard, and now Funcom, doing a large patch/update on the 28th is actually a positive for ANet.  Unlike GW2 which will have streaming updates without downtime, when WoW and TSW are patched their servers are down for several hours.  In spite of what some think, a lot of players from both games are going to be giving GW2 a run.  While their update schedule may not have A LOT to do with GW2's launch, it would seem like it might be wise to have their servers down when there are fewer players to get peeved. 
  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

Honestly, I kinda hope GW2 lights a fire under WoWs ass; at the very least, Blizzard will need to actually start putting some effort into maintaining their throne, because I think Blizzard got way too comfortable over the years and way too dependent on WoW; the lack of new IPs is indicative of this IMO.

agree

when companies have to make effort to get your attention - its good for gamers

• htiger23htiger23 Ames, IAPosts: 113Member

These posts are hilarious to read.  Keep in mind, I haven't played WoW for years, so I'm not adding bias to this post.

1. WoW lost a million subscribers over the quarter.

2. WoW lost more subscribers than any other MMO currently has...It is still at least nine times larger than any other MMO.  Yes, it sucks...But any other game company in the world wishes they could boast those numbers...

3. WoW is 7.75 years old.  Seriously consider what this means when you say it is "dying".  Shouldn't a video game that is this old have long since died?

4. Just like the McDonald's analogy, WoW may not be the "Best" game out there in terms of quality.

When you consider everything MMOs offer (fun factor, graphics, content, etc, etc), there still has not been a game to even come close to usurping that throne.  Chalk it up to brand loyalty or whatever you want, but facts are facts (IE: Numbers).

Like I said, I'm not just out to bash GW2 or other MMOs, I hope they do well.

I just wanted to point out a few obvious facts for those with such seething hatred of WoW.

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common

Blizzard has a dedicated fanbase  (as evident by recordbreaking sales of D3)

MOP will easily sell 4 million in the first week -- theres no way that GW2 is going to see those kind of sales

Im a GW2 fan but I believe its going to take GW2 a few months to sell 3-4 million

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDPosts: 16,905Member Uncommon

Kill Blizzard? One game will kill a whole stable of games?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It is a sign of a defeated man, to attack at ones character in the face of logic and reason- Me

• majimaji ColognePosts: 1,995Member Uncommon

People said that Rift would kill WoW, and it didn't. People said that SWTOR would kill WoW, and it didn't. People say that GW2 will kill WoW, and it won't. Yes, WoW's subscriber count will drop, but that's just because of it's age. If you consider WoW to be a large mansion, then time is a fire that burns it, and GW2 is, like most games, like throwing in a piece of coal. Sure, it burns it a tiny bit more, but it does nothing compared to what the age does to WoW.

The thing is, as with most MMORPGs, that the differences are just super tiny.

If there'd for example an MMORPG would be released, in which players could actually create their own weapons from scratch... like, in using a knife on a stick, and then the game checks the sharpness of the blade and it's material, with the material and shape of the stick, allowing you to make it pointy. And then the game would calculate the possible damage the spear could dish out, by calculating it's shape, mass and material. Now THAT would be an example of something that could kill other MMORPGs. GW2? It might be slightly better than some MMORPGs, and a good game all in all, but it's not different enough to "kill WoW".

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• OziiusOziius Baltimore, MDPosts: 1,388Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I see alot of remarks that GW2 is not eating subs away from a sub based game.
    I find that not true to say the least.

Maybe for people who dont have kids and own their own house and car etc etc, but if you have limited free time and cash you choose 1 option, GW2 offers alot more even tough people say it lacks contend ?

Well that argument faills also as the people who pay blizzard for the last 10 months wihout any contend updates + a 50/60 euro box price of MoP who will end up and rushed trough within a week or 2.

Blizzard pissed off ALOT and i mean ALOT of loyal players lately, and you forget about all those death left to rot in hell servers with extremely low population who wont receive any help with server mergers.

MoP might not do so well in the eyes of many. while GW2 has its full momentum of hype and legendery revieuws across the board.

Time will tell, but i rather spend my money on Anet then on greedy blizzard who showed nothing but arrogance and lack of love for their playerbase.

My gues is that MoP will live for 1 month before people start a riot again about lack of contend from blizzard.
    And many turned their face away for the cute pandabears and pokemon shit they added.

Ashame we cant see how many EU players WoW realy has ? i think their dipping below 1 million soon.

Legedary reviews? Can you point me to one of these "legendary" reviews. I must read this. It's a good game, but legendary? I did a google search for "Guild Wars 2 legendary reviews" and didn't come up with anything. Can you link?

• MMOExposedMMOExposed lalal land, DCPosts: 6,255Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by xalvi
    Originally posted by DJJazzy
    so what?

Means WoW is threatened...big time. They know it and this is how its confirmed haha, funny thing is that they will lose because GW2 has no subs, i bet Anet is just laughing at them.

Blizzard did this during Warhammer with Lich King, or something close.

they always do this.

• laokokolaokoko TaipeiPosts: 2,003Member
    Originally posted by Praetalus
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I see alot of remarks that GW2 is not eating subs away from a sub based game.
    I find that not true to say the least.

Maybe for people who dont have kids and own their own house and car etc etc, but if you have limited free time and cash you choose 1 option, GW2 offers alot more even tough people say it lacks contend ?

Well that argument faills also as the people who pay blizzard for the last 10 months wihout any contend updates + a 50/60 euro box price of MoP who will end up and rushed trough within a week or 2.

Blizzard pissed off ALOT and i mean ALOT of loyal players lately, and you forget about all those death left to rot in hell servers with extremely low population who wont receive any help with server mergers.

MoP might not do so well in the eyes of many. while GW2 has its full momentum of hype and legendery revieuws across the board.

Time will tell, but i rather spend my money on Anet then on greedy blizzard who showed nothing but arrogance and lack of love for their playerbase.

My gues is that MoP will live for 1 month before people start a riot again about lack of contend from blizzard.
    And many turned their face away for the cute pandabears and pokemon shit they added.

Ashame we cant see how many EU players WoW realy has ? i think their dipping below 1 million soon.

Legedary reviews? Can you point me to one of these "legendary" reviews. I must read this. It's a good game, but legendary? I did a google search for "Guild Wars 2 legendary reviews" and didn't come up with anything. Can you link?

Oh wow, you dont' see this forum full of positive review?  People in beta is saying how glorify the game is.  We are not talking about some fake review which the game studio paid the writer to write.  We are talking about real players who are in beta, giving 100% positive about how great the game is.  If you want to be the 1% of the troll on this forum who bash the game so be it. 

Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by xalvi
    Originally posted by DJJazzy
    so what?

Means WoW is threatened...big time. They know it and this is how its confirmed haha, funny thing is that they will lose because GW2 has no subs, i bet Anet is just laughing at them.

Blizzard did this during Warhammer with Lich King, or something close.

they always do this.

lol.  That is a lie.  I guess you havn't read all 40 pages of this thread.

Blizzard release a big patch at the exact same date as GW2 release.  Not to mention Diablo 3 patch 1.04 is being released at the exact same week.

Lich of the whatever king isn't even released in the same month.  THey are something like 2 month apart.  Please get your fact straight.  Start reading all 40 pages before you post.

Off topic, but do you ever get the feeling some people just want WoW to have no competition at all so they can stroke their ego about WoW being the greatest MMO by default, never mind the fact that the industry would be in eternal stagnation if that happened?
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Off topic, but do you ever get the feeling some people just want WoW to have no competition at all so they can stroke their ego about WoW being the greatest MMO by default, never mind the fact that the industry would be in eternal stagnation if that happened?

Exactly.  We finally have a legit mmorpg who can finally push the genre foward.  Which is a good thing. 

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Sacramento, CAPosts: 159Member
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by freston
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by freston

You can accuse wow of a lot of things, lack of content isnt one of them.

You absolutely can.  Compare EQ2 and WoW.  Its not even close in amount of content, and both released at the same time.

Must disagree on that account. If you are talking about number of expansions , eq2 wins. If you are talking about actual content, measured  in number of  hours you could play without repeating content, i think wow wins that one , even if they spent some of their resources rehashing old content in cata.

EQ2 has tons of quest, but they all felt very simple and very much alike each other  , at least when i was playing that  game. Heard some of the latter expansions were  better. People who accuse wow of being too Fedex with its quest system should take a walk down Nektulos Forest .

EQ2 has a significantly larger amount of dungeons and raids than WoW does.  EQ2 also has tons of content for its crafters.  

What's that old saying about Quality over quantity.  Besides, who cares, EQ 2 got it's face stomped in by WoW and has been WoW's Biotch for the last 8 years.