Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Will Performance Improve with Realm Reborn?

WizGamerWizGamer Evansville, WVPosts: 403Member

I don't know what is wrong with the first engine but I recently purchased the game play a bit before a Realm Reborn launches and the game played awfully. There was rubberbanding every few seconds with tons of screen tearing even on the lowest of settings (which looks like Minecraft btw). It was absolutely awful and I was hoping the new engine may allow it to play more smoothly. I can play TSW on medium high, and other games on different settings but even for a game that looks this good, I've never had such poor performance. 

Also, will there be a new download for FFXIV when RR releases?

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen KolkkalaPosts: 5,354Member Uncommon

That's kinda the point of the new engine (along with other improvements).

Of course we don't know the scale of improvements before we get to play it first-hand, but the developers' intention is to vastly improve the performance among full range of hardware available.

"Housing is standard in most mmo's."
    - yolteotl79

• paulrgodpaulrgod sheffieldPosts: 238Member
    Ive just started playing the game again after some time away on my new pc and had the same issues.  I found that forcing AF in your GFX card control panel causes the hiccuping in the engine for some reason - i spent ages trying different settings etc and it seemed this was the cause.  After turning this off the game runs smooth as silk now.
  • SynthetickSynthetick Portland, ORPosts: 977Member
    Originally posted by paulrgod
    Ive just started playing the game again after some time away on my new pc and had the same issues.  I found that forcing AF in your GFX card control panel causes the hiccuping in the engine for some reason - i spent ages trying different settings etc and it seemed this was the cause.  After turning this off the game runs smooth as silk now.

Pretty much same deal for me. I'm on $500 Dell I picked up with extremely sub-par specs and am running the game on mostly high settings and have pretty amazing performance. I actually get higher FPS in cities on FFXIV than I do in RIFT. And RIFT runs great, but the cities drop my FPS way more than FFXIV.

• AliceKayeAliceKaye Flemington, NJPosts: 838Member Common

I don't have any issues running the game in it's current state, however I have a beast machine and can't play it on the highest of settings, I actually have it set to standard. It still looks gorgeous but with a machine like I have, I feel I should be able to boost it higher.

That being said, one of the major points to the game revamp was that they decided to overhaul the entire thing and put it all on a new engine, one that has actually been built specifically for FFXIV 2.0. 

The new engine is designed to let a wider range of PC's, both older and newer play the game with better graphic quality and better performance.

Fear not, you'll probably be fine when 2.0 comes out.

Though it would be nice if you would post your PC specs, that might help some.

The other thing I did was started playing the game in Windowed mode (and via Task Manager, I set the CPU priority to "High" rather than it's default "Low". That makes this game run smooth as hell for me.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye jarrowPosts: 1,016Member
    Originally posted by WizGamer

I don't know what is wrong with the first engine but I recently purchased the game play a bit before a Realm Reborn launches and the game played awfully. There was rubberbanding every few seconds with tons of screen tearing even on the lowest of settings (which looks like Minecraft btw). It was absolutely awful and I was hoping the new engine may allow it to play more smoothly. I can play TSW on medium high, and other games on different settings but even for a game that looks this good, I've never had such poor performance. 

Also, will there be a new download for FFXIV when RR releases?

The current crystal engine is being replaced as it can't handle more than 40 npc's/characters in one area, it was only meant for single player games and was used for FFXIII and FFXIII-2.

The new engine has been specificly built for Reborn and we should have no problems with stability, though as with any MMO I will expect some teething problems with disconection and instability on launch, hopefully Beta will iron out any issues.