Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Darksiders II - Zelda Meets Death

Comments

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Haven't tried DS2 but I will grab it at some point. Loved the first one.

Anyone play it on both the 360 and PC? Any recommendations on which?

I had DS1 on the 360

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

And the bigest question of mine: How much of it is free roam / open world?.

Second to that, What are the zelda comparisons?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Was surprised to see this on the board, validation of the marketing of the title. I played the first one and did enjoy but didnt captivate me enough to finish it.  On my list of games to return to.  Haven't played the second yet, but will probably get for PC even though its a port. I've gotten used to my keyboard and mouse ways now.

I'm loving the injection of my cherished RPG elements (leveling, skill trees, experience) into action games. There was a time when you had to choose.  Still cant shake my roots so will probably pass on this in the end, only to put it further in my queue as my tastes are old school and am enjoying turn-based combat once again.

I am gamer. Play. Forever.

• SteazySteazy Member Posts: 39
    Rad looks cool gonna check it out on steam
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Hmm. If so, things have changed, likely in part to THQ's woes. But the intention was to make a game for each horseman, and one of them (Fury) is a horseWOman.Here's hoping it sells a ton of boxes and gets the other two. I've not finished it yet, so not sure how it ends.Here you go: http:/www.joystiq.com/2012/07/26/vigil-darksiders-3-depends-on-darksiders-2-sales-could-be-smal/ 

HQ president Jason Rubin would likely want a sequel, though he might expect Vigil to "reduce the scope so that we can make it even higher polished."

That does not sound good at all, To paraphrase darksiders 2 will be the last in the series to feature a large amount of content.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504
    it's taking to long to download :S 15 mins more....
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i havent bought DarkSiders 2 because im still playing DS1 but im really excited for this game. Also, judging by the game videos and the "looks" of death, this game could have been an awesome Legacy of Kain title. Everytime i see death i kind of see Raziel

:D

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    I should try and pick them both up on PC...
  • Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i havent bought DarkSiders 2 because im still playing DS1 but im really excited for this game. Also, judging by the game videos and the "looks" of death, this game could have been an awesome Legacy of Kain title. Everytime i see death i kind of see Raziel

:D

Yes, original Darksiders also had a LoK feel to me. Guess it depends on what they do with the story in this and future games.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • nagawaranagawara Member Posts: 32

its not an rpg

its a hack n slash game with some adventure elements

anw nice game till the king arrives again wich is ofc god of war ascension

haters can hate btw...sales,numbers,reviews,awards,do the talk and god of war is at the top.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

Bill Murphey right out of the gate pretty much says "Yea, going off the beaten path for a sec from MMOs to talk about a game you might like!".

Best way possible that I've seen so far on MMORPG.com to talk about something non-MMO. Nice job ;)!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    This game is amazing. The art style is visually stunning! Im loving it so far. Not to mention, James Cosmo's voice acting for the Elder Maker!

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Hmm. If so, things have changed, likely in part to THQ's woes. But the intention was to make a game for each horseman, and one of them (Fury) is a horseWOman.

Here's hoping it sells a ton of boxes and gets the other two. I've not finished it yet, so not sure how it ends.

Here you go: http:/www.joystiq.com/2012/07/26/vigil-darksiders-3-depends-on-darksiders-2-sales-could-be-smal/

One horsemen is a female with a whip as a main weapon, The other is a male horsemen with dual guns. 

One ranged, One Melee...

I would bet anything that the next game will have Co-op or let you flip flop between both of them.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339
    must..resist...shelling out money on this one...gw2 cant come soon enough..

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    You know you could have made the tittle a lot shorter by saying "its like legacy of kain soul reaver but new"
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

played it on a pc and its another xbox port with nu graphic options....
    you can change the resolution and Vsync, and this it.

Very disapointed, but this is how the future of most studio's are, ports are cheap and that means more profit.

Some studio's dont care anymore to make their game perfect for each platform :(

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Zelda brought me to this thread. I will say this. I am buying and downloading this game now, since you feel like assosciating it with Zelda. IF YOU HAVE SCORNED A LEGENDARY SERIES LIKE ZELDA BY SAYING WHAT YOU SAID BILL.........I will find you. Believe me.

Ha! Trust me as a life-long lover of Hyrule and the Tri-force, I am not misleading you. :)

Mini Review

Game is not quite what i expected, seeing the Zelda reference, but it is a GREAT game nonetheless. It DOES have quite alot (to me) of a Zelda feel, minus the tools/weapon hunting. The Forge lands are beautiful, and the story is deep enough to have me immersed in it.

One could also say it had NOTHING in common with Zelda, and I couldn't disagree with them. It's subjective, for sure. To put it in better light, it is very similar to God of War, with your dual scythes and secondary weapons, action paced, combo based combat. It just has more RPG in it, and coming from someone who doesn't like GOW for that reason, this game is very fun, and worth the money.

The biggest thing i LOVE about it is the AMOUNT OF CONTENT that is packed into this game. I won't spoil it for anyone, but getting to that 'final' boss and saying "Alright, this was fun" only to find out you are not even halfway through the game is REALLY a treat to me. I've been beating Single Player games to death because of their incredibly short gamespan. This one just goes to show that it is still possible to get 60-80 hours out of a game.

I didn't even get to finish all the dungeons on the first map yet.

That said, i'm 22 hours in according to my in game time thing, and (im guessing) about halfway through the game, without doing many side missions or dungeons. Next playthrough will see it 100% completed. One of the few games i've felt the urge to 100% . Only halfway through though, so second half could be total shit and i wouldn't know. more to come!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Wont let me edit.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GAMEPAD OR XBOX CONTROLLER TO PLUG INTO YOUR PC if you aren't getting it for consoles. Admittedly, The Keyboard scheme is HORRIBLE, almost UNPLAYABLE FOR ME WITHOUT A GAMEPAD. Still a great game, just a really, really shitty port.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• Hydros13Hydros13 Member Posts: 30
    The game is definitely worth its price tag, real good game. And yes the PC port is real shitty when it comes to features (You must have a 360 controller to really enjoy it so be aware of that).
  • NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Zelda brought me to this thread. I will say this. I am buying and downloading this game now, since you feel like assosciating it with Zelda. IF YOU HAVE SCORNED A LEGENDARY SERIES LIKE ZELDA BY SAYING WHAT YOU SAID BILL........I will find you. Believe me.

Yeah, Zelda brought me in here, too. Then I saw the words "console game ported to PC" and lost interest.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Mothanos

played it on a pc and its another xbox port with nu graphic options....
    you can change the resolution and Vsync, and this it.

Very disapointed, but this is how the future of most studio's are, ports are cheap and that means more profit.

Some studio's dont care anymore to make their game perfect for each platform :(

The game runs flawlessly on PC.

I would rather no graphical options with a great running game than one with many options that runs like crap.

Darksiders 2 is an amazing game to ignore it because it doesn't have a AA check box in the options is lame and makes PC gamers look like an entitled bunch of tards.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Originally posted by Dampyre
    the reason the first game was overlooked is cause it sucked and i am expecting the same from this game.  Botton line is if you take from prince of persia, zelda, and god of war, you should end up with something at least as good as one of those series and this doesn't......

Your game library is probably very small.

Nice job on generalizing; god knows how many games out there takes elements from others to compose a nice amalgamation.

• omidusomidus Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Wont let me edit. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GAMEPAD OR XBOX CONTROLLER TO PLUG INTO YOUR PC if you aren't getting it for consoles. Admittedly, The Keyboard scheme is HORRIBLE, almost UNPLAYABLE FOR ME WITHOUT A GAMEPAD. Still a great game, just a really, really shitty port.

Game pad issues aside, I have no idea what you are talking about. The game runs flawless; the problem exists in your computer.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by omidus
    Originally posted by Dampyre
    the reason the first game was overlooked is cause it sucked and i am expecting the same from this game.  Botton line is if you take from prince of persia, zelda, and god of war, you should end up with something at least as good as one of those series and this doesn't......

Your game library is probably very small.

Nice job on generalizing; god knows how many games out there takes elements from others to compose a nice amalgamation.

Nice job on completely missing his points.

Originally posted by omidus
    Wont let me edit. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GAMEPAD OR XBOX CONTROLLER TO PLUG INTO YOUR PC if you aren't getting it for consoles. Admittedly, The Keyboard scheme is HORRIBLE, almost UNPLAYABLE FOR ME WITHOUT A GAMEPAD. Still a great game, just a really, really shitty port.

Game pad issues aside, I have no idea what you are talking about. The game runs flawless; the problem exists in your computer.

I didn't say the game ran anything less than superb on my pc. i said it is a console port, designed around a controller. Trying to use the keyboard scheme will hinder you horribly. With a gamepad, this game is rocking.

Get it if you are remotely on the fence, i say ^^

The Deep Web is sca-ry.