Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: 'Digging Deeper' Set for August 28th

Comments

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Funcom and Blizzard both setting updates for the 28th means that they're kinda scared of GW2's success. Anyway, for those playing TSW - enjoy the update!
  • DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by Blossie
    This patch was suposed to be about a majour rebuild to the character creation systems in the game , what we are getting is a minor tweek , its really disappointing , they still cant even do a height slider good grief its 2012 not 1995 .

Really?

That sucks i was looking forward to the new options to change the face of my character after all thats what they announced i knew already that the height would not be customizable (as they announced that as well...) but if you say now that the options we get are only minor i can only assume that there are not many options and we will end up having 5 instead of 4 different faces....

Oh well i will have to wait till after the update since i am not in the position you seem to be in and can already test out what changes we will get maybe you can show us some pics of the new minor features?

Hmmm but maybe you don't know yourself maybe you were just talking about something you don't know anything about after all you were under the impression that the hight option were supposed to be added too.....

The character creation is one of the weaker points of the game no point arguing about that BUT with the clothing system its actually very hard to run into another character who looks identical in most other MMOs you might be able to change up the faces and bodies a bit more than in TSW but what good does that do you if all characters looks the same anyway since they all were the same stuff?

I was/am not happy with the character creation either but have yet to run into a character that is identical to mine so it seems it is good enough and adding more options can only make it better.

They also announced a third shop which allows customization (forgot what it added tho i believe tattoos and scars and such) but they said it will be added later on maybe September to me that shows that they are willing to work on the weak aspects of there product and thats all i could ask for.

For the date being picked cause they are scared of GW2 well who knows maybe they are but i for one will be playing GW2 in the headstart starting at the 25th so by the time the update gets live on the 28th i will be  craving my TSW shot anyway and can enjoy all the new goodies so it works out just fine for me(i bet in the 3 days i will run into more than just 1 identically looking character tho lol)

ps. I am aware that there are way more than 4 face options just used the number to make my point.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Once is accident (WoW), twice is coincidence (TSW) .... third time is a conspiracy. We need another MMO with an update on 28th. What about Rift ? ;)
  • AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Anthur
    Once is accident (WoW), twice is coincidence (TSW) .... third time is a conspiracy. We need another MMO with an update on 28th. What about Rift ? ;)

I actually count on EAware to do something with SW:TOR.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Blossie
    This patch was suposed to be about a majour rebuild to the character creation systems in the game , what we are getting is a minor tweek , its really disappointing , they still cant even do a height slider good grief its 2012 not 1995 .

I am not sure what your basis is for this assertion, 1.2 isn't even on TestLive yet and nothing in the "Digging Deeper" announcement contradicts what was said about the barber & plastic surgeon when they were first announced shortly after launch.

Even a "height slider" which simply gives a linear scale on all your avatar's dimensions (a la the original Guild Wars) would be problematic for many of TSW's cinematics.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by Adelbern
    Originally posted by Vyeth

wow.. Ive seen major updates planned from so many mmo's on the 28th.. Is the industry really a little scared about the success GW2 is about to bring?

Could this really be the end of P2P as we know it?

I was thinking the exact same thing but regardless what fc or blizzard do GW2 will break records and there is no one who can stop them.

break records?

It will sell more copies than GW1 for sure.  That's a record I guess.  B2P even one that is VERY close to a F2P cash shop isn't going to replace Free 2 Try and Sub games anytime soon.  GW2 will do ok but it's really not a threat to games like WoW, TSW, or even some of the higher quality F2P titles. 

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

It's not "fear" it's "competition" & it's a healthy thing, WoW GW2 FC & anyone else throwing their hat in the ring is just saying "okay, let's see how good we are & how loyal our customers are, let's offer them something interesting to play while all the buzz on other titles are going on & maybe steal a little thunder at the same time"

If a big title comes out you do want to hopefully piggy back on some of the industry buzz around it, nothing wrong with that - good business sense.

• MueslinatorMueslinator Member Posts: 78
    Originally posted by elocke
    I think they are scared.  Rightfully so.  I'm sure they've had a chance to play GW2 now and I bet a bunch of devs at these other companies will be secretly playing GW2.  Just like people were secretly playing WoW when I was working at WAR.

TSW was released on 29th of June (well, early access). Funcom stated they wanted to deliver monthly content updates, called therefore 'issues'.

Issue #1 went live 28th of July.

Issue #2 will go live (if nothing goes wrong) 28th of September.

I don't see how this would be any indicator they're scared of anything. It's their regular update schedule.

Plus, I don't really that much shared customer base between GW2 and TSW. I'd say traditional high fantasy MMORPGs have potentially more customers who would potentially jump ship. TSW has its own niche as being one of the few contemporary MMORPGs with a hefty dose of dark horror and adult themes.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by Adelbern

wow.. Ive seen major updates planned from so many mmo's on the 28th.. Is the industry really a little scared about the success GW2 is about to bring?

I was thinking the exact same thing but regardless what fc or blizzard do GW2 will break records and there is no one who can stop them.

break records?

It will sell more copies than GW1 for sure.  That's a record I guess.  B2P even one that is VERY close to a F2P cash shop isn't going to replace Free 2 Try and Sub games anytime soon.  GW2 will do ok but it's really not a threat to games like WoW, TSW, or even some of the higher quality F2P titles. 

I think it's a threat, based on my own experience.  It has taken me away from playing those games, and I can't be the only gamer doing the same.  

Originally posted by Mueslinator
    I think they are scared.  Rightfully so.  I'm sure they've had a chance to play GW2 now and I bet a bunch of devs at these other companies will be secretly playing GW2.  Just like people were secretly playing WoW when I was working at WAR.

TSW was released on 29th of June (well, early access). Funcom stated they wanted to deliver monthly content updates, called therefore 'issues'.

I don't see how this would be any indicator they're scared of anything. It's their regular update schedule.

Plus, I don't really that much shared customer base between GW2 and TSW. I'd say traditional high fantasy MMORPGs have potentially more customers who would potentially jump ship. TSW has its own niche as being one of the few contemporary MMORPGs with a hefty dose of dark horror and adult themes.

If you say so.  guess you work for TSW to know this was the date they had set up before they knew when GW2 would launch.  Also, coming the day after Blizzard announced their next major patch on the same day...yeah, ok.  I don't believe in coincidences.

• ValasAzuviirValasAzuviir Member Posts: 27

28th of August actually,

28th of September is probably when Issue #3 will hit.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

If you say so.  guess you work for TSW to know this was the date they had set up before they knew when GW2 would launch.  Also, coming the day after Blizzard announced their next major patch on the same day...yeah, ok.  I don't believe in coincidences.

Are you seriously this paranoid?  If so you should be playing TSW :)

No, the patch date isn't because of GW2/PandaExpress.  This is the second monthly patch and it's at the end of the month just like the last monthly patch.

They've been saying since release that this stuff was coming "by August 31st."  Tuesday is the patch day they use every week (except this week because patch was delayed 1 day to fix a bug found in testing).

TestLive first patched 1.1 on 7-17 for a 7-31 live date (2 weeks).  TestLive patched 1.2 this morning on 8-15 for a 8-28 live date (2 weeks).

After 1.1 went live, they started 1.1.1 on 8-2.

This is normal patch schedule for them... they can't release before 8-28 or it won't get tested enough and after 8-28 would miss their weekly maintenance and "monthly" update promise.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Nothing like good ole fashioned fanatacism to bring out the best in people.

Updates are almost always a good thing for any game. TSW is a good game thats only going to get better. I enjoy the mature content, the engine rock's and the content possibilties are as endless as our own real world lore.

Call it  "single player" "coop" or what ever. I call it "entertaining".

Looking forward to more content updates no matter what date they are released on.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

It's Simply Amazing!

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180
    They release their monthly updates at the end of the month on maintenance day, which happens to be tuesday and the 28th.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Funny to see all those company's fearing Anets release date of 28 august, why else try to launch your products or updates on that day :)

Cant wait to see Funcom's sub numbers at the end of the year and Blizzards wow to for that matter, maybe another 1.2 million subs down :) ?

What I can't figure out is why players like you wish the worse to happen to other games? I mean seriously were all entitled to our opinion and maybe WoW and TSW isn't your game, but why spew so much negativity to a game that your not even playing? Do you really wish we all played ' 1 " mmo?

The 28th of this month is a good date for all gamers down the line whether your playing GW2, WoW, TSW and even maybe Rift / SWToR.

I know competition brings out the worse in players (my game is better than your game), but if you think about it, we are winners since we got so many mmo's to choose from. Not everyone is going to like the same mmo and we should just respect their choice, but to degrade and wish the worse onto a game is simply stupid on your part.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    It is the nature of mmorogs to have populous communities. I can't say I blame all the bashing that's going on to root for any one players game of choice and create a more populous community. I like game A but game b and c are taking away from game A so let's use a little good ole fashion smear tactic to make my look better and thus dare I say it live long and be prosporous.
  • ZyonneZyonne Member Posts: 259

Let me guess:

If the monthly content patch had been pushed forward one week to Tuesday August 21st, it would be so they could compete with GW2 early access.

If the monthly update had been pushed back a week to September 4th it would be because they were afraid to launch a content update on GW2 launch day.

If they had updated any weekday other than tuesday it would definitely be because GW2 launched on a tuesday.

Originally posted by Zyonne

Let me guess:

If the monthly content patch had been pushed forward one week to Tuesday August 21st, it would be so they could compete with GW2 early access.

If the monthly update had been pushed back a week to September 4th it would be because they were afraid to launch a content update on GW2 launch day.

If they had updated any weekday other than tuesday it would definitely be because GW2 launched on a tuesday.

Nope.  Sorry, but no.  If you can't see the date as being important, then shove off.  Blizzard recognizes it, it's pretty blatant.  Might as well just admit Funcom does as well.  It's business.  Week before or week after would mean they aren't afraid of GW2, thought that was fairly obvious.

• nagawaranagawara Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by Vapors

a little bit optimistic?

not at all the game wil lbe a massive sucess 

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

GW2 is a classic example of P2P. I believe it will totally validate that P2P is NOT dead, and that selling boxes is still a huge business.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Dear GW2 Fans.

We don't give a rats ass about sub numbers. we never thought the game will attract millions of people, We never thought we would topple any kind of industry giant. we wanted a game to play that we would enjoy which wasnt based around Elves fighting orcs with sticks, stones and spells.

in a nutshell keep throwing subs in our face and we will keep laughing at you. we don't care

Signed

TSW Fan Base.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ZyonneZyonne Member Posts: 259
    <snip>

Nope.  Sorry, but no.  If you can't see the date as being important, then shove off.  Blizzard recognizes it, it's pretty blatant.  Might as well just admit Funcom does as well.  It's business.  Week before or week after would mean they aren't afraid of GW2, thought that was fairly obvious.

So basically, FunCom should have changed their schedule because of GW's launch to show that they are not afraid of GW2 as a competitor. That makes sense. Seriously though, do you really think breaking both the promise to deliver customization options by the end of August and the promise to release monthly content updates just two months after launch would be good for business?

I agree that it would make sense to release an attractive update on the 28th if they didn't already have a schedule to stick to, but as it is, it is just coincidence.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Didn't you guys know, August 28th is a GW2 trademark...To think otherwise is ignorant!

I bought GW2 before I bought TSW, wasn't sure I was going to get TSW, but I think its a fun game...I played the first beta event, after the pre-orders opened up, and I wasn't as impressed as many have been....Could of been the classes I played, but I play Ranger or Necro in most games, so tried them in GW2.  My pet was dead 24/7 on the ranger (seen people say they tweaked this some)...I didn't play any more events, just because I am not huge on playing stuff when it doesn't 'count'.  Hopefully I enjoy the game, but I didn't see it as the second coming, like a lot seem to...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    The Secret World: 'Another Funcom game released too soon' available NOW!