Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is Final Fantasy?

7star7star Member Posts: 405

I guess a lot of people are getting interested in Reborn or 2.0.  

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/15/new-ffxiv-2-0-screenshots-released/

I am, too. But what are the characteristics of Final Fantasy that make this game have a devoted following? I've never played any FF game (other than beta for FF XIV for a couple of hours). I've played a lot of games, probably every "AAA" release since 2007. 

What is it that makes FF? What are the characteristics of the FF universe, or the game philosophy, or whatever? I know some people love it. Why?  

Comments

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Each game is set in a different world, but there are some things in common, such as Chocobo birds, airships and certain magic powers and entities. The music, art style and plot elements are also re-used. I would recomend a very entertaining and critical review of Final Fantasy 8 and also Final Fantasy 10 from the Spoony One. (who also totally called both FFXIV's failure and GW2s potential 2 yrs ago at Pax 2010)

FF 14 at launch was the worst mmo ever made, partly due to incompetent and oblivious design, but also as it lacked the charm and immersion of previous instalments, the new version should be much better, though I still get the impession they are playing catch up to where western and even eastern (Korean) mmos where 5 yrs ago.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

FF used to be my favorite RPG series but the modern ones just don't do it for me.

If you want a glimpse of why people used to love the franchise so much, I suggest playing FFIV on an emulator.

Play for about 3? hours until you get to the part where the party splits. Do the one with Sabin last, as it's the one with the best story.

After having played that you will either know why this game used to be so hyped up, or you will know that it isn't any good for you.

All I can say about the modern FFs is... meh.

Harbinger of Fools
  • nagawaranagawara Member Posts: 32
    Originally posted by 7star

I've played a lot of games, probably every "AAA" release since 2007. 

No wonder u dont know a thing about the ff franchise.

anw might be too late to play them....since the best ff are on the ps1-ps2

ff7 the best of the series

ff8

ff9

ff10

ff12

if u dont mind the graphics then go ahead DL a ps1-ps2 emulator and check them out. 

ff7-9 are ps1

f10-12 ps2

ff13 is on ps3 and xbpx 360 but dont bother its the worst of the series extrmely boring linear game,boring characters and plot

they released ff13-2 after that bt sold craps since the first one was a epic failure.

Now the best ff coming in recent years and by many the one that can stand proudly along ff7 is ffversus made by nomura the guy behind ff7,kingdom hearts 1-2 woriking along the team who did the ff7 advent children movie.

the cgi are simply amazing making blizzards cgi overated

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiIx9VJWSl8

• skeith138skeith138 Member Posts: 176
    Originally posted by nagawara

ff8

ff9

ff10

ff12

if u dont mind the graphics then go ahead DL a ps1-ps2 emulator and check them out. 

ff7-9 are ps1

f10-12 ps2

ff13 is on ps3 and xbpx 360 but dont bother its the worst of the series extrmely boring linear game,boring characters and plot

they released ff13-2 after that bt sold craps since the first one was a epic failure.

Now the best ff coming in recent years and by many the one that can stand proudly along ff7 is ffversus made by nomura the guy behind ff7,kingdom hearts 1-2 woriking along the team who did the ff7 advent children movie.

actually u can also buy those on PSN if u have a PS3.

i agree that the most popular ones are FF7-10 but the FF1-6 are also pretty good.

FF 11 online was pretty good for its time.

FF12 wasn't that good

FF13-13X2 was a mostly linear progression unlike the other franchise.

FF14 was a failure launch cuz of buggy combat,UI and gameplay overall, but seens YOSHI took over its been much better

and reborn 2.0 would change the game engine and gameplay all to get there.( and yes, they are making a new engine for the game)

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by nagawara

ff8

ff9

ff10

ff12

ff7-9 are ps1

f10-12 ps2

i think you're the one who doesnt know a thing about FF

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

Actually, I'm interested in knowing more about FF as a lead in to FFXIV 2.0. 

What is it about FF that will (actually or hopefully) translate into FF XIV and make it a special game? 

The things I've read and seen about 2.0 look very promising. But they are just media/hype to me. I want to know from actual players and fans who have a variety of experiences and feelings about the game -- what makes it special? Of these special elements, why will you play FF XIV when it relaunches (or if you're not sure about playing it, why would you play it)?

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

We don't know how much of previous FF games will be in FFXIV 2.0, as we haven’t even seen game footage yet, and have just Yoshida’s articles and some pre-production sketches to go on. I will be playing as I have got to see if they managed to salvage that mess, which even now is un-playable. (though there is something unique about it that i kinda miss)

The colourful characters, dialogue, music, plot twists, integrated cut-scenes in FF7 onwards, bold, imaginative locations, epic battles and events, visual and artistic splendour and cute flying white things as well as a strong sense of wonder and the way both sci fi and fantasy is used sum it up for me. Also the tactical turn based combat is nice at times, though in FFXIV it was torture. It can get melodramatic and pretentious at times, but for those that value imagination FF rpgs are the best.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Hmm 2.0 ... I was one of those who used the free time and finished the whole storyline of FF14. I had fun and my ava here is still a tribute to that time.

The story of 2.0 is that the bad guys overreact and destroy the whole world. You are one of the few survivors and they send you back in time to prevent this.

So on 2.0 you will be right back in the time when the war started.

I think it takes more than rerolling the story to lure me back. I will try the game when 2.0 comes but I am done with paying subscriptions for a lifetime, after playing FF11 for 5 years.

Unfortunately SE will most likely not consider a f2p because they only want to appeal to the die hard fans.

One look at the hilarious achievements you can earn on FF14 will tell you what I mean.

Harbinger of Fools
  • 7star7star Member Posts: 405

I will probably wind up playing this after 2.0 launches. I imagine it will be a huge game and a huge world to explore.

I understand it is group-oriented. Is it also good for solo exploration? It will be great if this game is huge and open-ended and gives me something to really sink my teeth into for a while -- something different.