Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's just admit it...

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Airhead80

... We will never break the habit. No matter how much you try to convince yourself that you wont resub, you will. Curiousity will get the better of you, you will want to see first-hand what MOP is about. Love it or hate it. Without a doubt, WoW is the most popular fallback MMO and most of us will do anything we can to try and rekindle that love for the game that we once had. Blizz are going to experiance a massive surge in population with the release of MOP.

Ita only a matter of time! 

This is what Blizzard hopes is true.  I would go back to World of Warcraft in a heartbeat, but sadly it went into a coma with Cataclysm and finally meets the grave in MoP.  It's not the game I played in 2005 and I'm still grumpy about it.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Rider071

haven't played WoW since 'bus shock'.

what do you think the % of WoW subs are US vs. foreign sales?

4.5 years ago, Blizzard gave regional breakdowns for US, Euro, Asia

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/01/22/world-of-warcraft-hits-10-million-subscribers/

Blizzard announced it was 45 - 55  West-East split but its unknown now

if I was to guess, I would expect it to be a 40 - 60 split now

• mxishmxish Member Posts: 31

... We will never break the habit. No matter how much you try to convince yourself that you wont resub, you will. Curiousity will get the better of you, you will want to see first-hand what MOP is about. Love it or hate it. Without a doubt, WoW is the most popular fallback MMO and most of us will do anything we can to try and rekindle that love for the game that we once had. Blizz are going to experiance a massive surge in population with the release of MOP.

regretted buying wotlk, didnt buy cata.. I think im safe

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well err I brought WOW when it first came out in the US and i played it for less than a month before i uninstalled it.. so yes i can say ill never resub to this..

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by Nadia

what do you think the % of WoW subs are US vs. foreign sales?

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/01/22/world-of-warcraft-hits-10-million-subscribers/

Blizzard announced it was 45 - 55  West-East split but its unknown now

if I was to guess, I would expect it to be a 40 - 60 split now

yup, 4.5 years ago. and since then F2P has become the 'norm' for gaming in the mmo genre. It actually is the norm when you consider how WoW is purchased in China, hourly. I wonder if that's how they count the subs?

but in analogy, Perfect World International, a chinese MMO, 4 years ago had over 50million subs. Just food for thought on how 'subs' are counted when China is added to the mix.

and don't forget Oceanics, Euros and the rest of Asia. They count, possibly the same as the US numbers, but I'm guessing the China numbers dwarf everything else. It's hard to ignore the math, especially when it's that daunting.

Not to mention, a Panda expansion, with martial arts...can't figure out who that is aimed towards, nope.

Blizz isn't dumb, Diablo 3 had immense adverstising in Asia, including cosplay stars touring with their lead dev. Ever seen that here in the states? no.

It's simple, the numbers aren't US players. since AoC, WAR, SWTOR, and every F2P release/revamp under the sun, I'm betting the US player base in WoW is the same size as in any other mmo, granted I haven't logged in in years, just doing the math.

but the math can't be too far off if Vivendi is trying to sell.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

speculation even though it is not difficult to figure numbers out /snip

It's simple, the numbers aren't US players. since AoC, WAR, SWTOR, and every F2P release/revamp under the sun, I'm betting the US player base in WoW is the same size as in any other mmo, granted I haven't logged in in years, just doing the math.

Why so much 'speculation' when the financial data is available?

No, you don't get actual sub numbers across the different regions, but their 'sub based revenue' is.

Compare that to last years when WoW was their only 'sub based revenue' with sub numbers and you should have a fairly good idea on what the numbers are. They aren't good.

This year they added COD:Elite to the 'sub based revenue'.

Fun Fact: Vivendi selling Acti-Blizz is not because Acti-Blizz is doing poorly. It is because Vivendi has 6-7 Billion in Acti-Blizz stock that can be used to fix their 'core' business. Owning 60% of Acti-blizz only gives them millions in 'dividends' which isn't enough to justify keeping that amount of money in stocks.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by Nadia

yup, 4.5 years ago. and since then F2P has become the 'norm' for gaming in the mmo genre. It actually is the norm when you consider how WoW is purchased in China, hourly. I wonder if that's how they count the subs?

WOW Asian sub definition:

Internet Game Room players who have accessed the game over the last thirty days are also counted as subscribers.

Originally posted by jpnz

I havent looked at the financials

with COD as part of their sub revenue, do they at least delineate which game is pulling in the revenue?

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

last expansion i bought was WOTLK and never looked back after.

I will only go back when wow turns around and stops being a grindfest (i got D3 for that now), stops instancing there whole freaking game and stops making gear more important then skill.....so i guess i am never going back to wow.

As many others i will be exploring and stuff in GW2 soon (not blizzard soon but realy soon as in about 2 weeks from now :) )

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Held a good-bye-grill-fest for my wonderful guild back in the end days of WotLK. Stopped playing a few days after and have looked back fondly on the great times spent with them ever since.

But I have never felt the need to play WoW again since that summer, your assumption doesn't fit.

Originally posted by jpnz

speculation even though it is not difficult to figure numbers out /snip

Why so much 'speculation' when the financial data is available?

No, you don't get actual sub numbers across the different regions, but their 'sub based revenue' is.

Compare that to last years when WoW was their only 'sub based revenue' with sub numbers and you should have a fairly good idea on what the numbers are. They aren't good.

Fun Fact: Vivendi selling Acti-Blizz is not because Acti-Blizz is doing poorly. It is because Vivendi has 6-7 Billion in Acti-Blizz stock that can be used to fix their 'core' business. Owning 60% of Acti-blizz only gives them millions in 'dividends' which isn't enough to justify keeping that amount of money in stocks.

a more fun fact:

Vivendi owns Universal, which owns quite a bit of the entertainment industry worldwide, in many forms. If the sub numbers were true and that was a US $15.99 each, they wouldn't be selling, nothing makes that much profit for the capital spent. but they ARE selling, so the numbers aren't true...but that would be illegal...unless the numbers are not US subs.

betting PW or Nexon buys Blizz by the end of the year. More than likely PW after they release NWN this fall.

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86

I've left a Lv36 Warlock and some other characters sometime after BC long before WoTLK and haven't looked back. Perhaps I'm just immune. image

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

No, I don't think so.

After leaving WOW when BC landed, I didn't go back again until Cata, which cost me far too much to upgrade to and delivered a little more than a month of entertainment.

I'm done with WOW for good now, not even sure when/if I'll be playing GW2, just not into current MMORPG design atm.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• VermilioNomyVermilioNomy Member Posts: 32

You're a lucky guy if that one game still does it for you after all those years, I left after WOTLK... I tried Cata out and it felt like walking into a brick wall headfirst for me, just some major changes which made me lose intrest. I can't say that these Panda's are pulling me back. As I said, it's nice to see that you can still enjoy the game to your full heart's content, but wow just doesn't do the trick for me anymore. I hear it a lot and it seems normal that old players resub to wow to try out the new content, but I don't think you can say that for everyone.

betting PW or Nexon buys Blizz by the end of the year. More than likely PW after they release NWN this fall.

Vivendi reports their half year financials in 2 weeks (Aug 30th)

im half expecting they will announce that Activision will buy itself back

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/18/activision-could-buy-itself-back-from-vivendi

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Several people have tried to convince me to resub over the past 3 years, I've seen the trailers and vids for their newest raids and expansions and PvP.

But I'm just utterly and completely done with WoW, I enjoyed my time (most of it), but I'm not coming back.

So no, I'm quite certain your theory doesn't apply to me OP.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

here's some neat thoughts though, ever since they were able to offer the game in China, it announced 12 million subs (9million today), but yet no one offers some simple math to the numbers.

US has 300 million population, I confess I do not know the % or number of internet users in the US.

China has 3.4 billion population, and I recently read that over 300 million of that population has internet access, not counting internet cafe users (which is also an immense number I am told).

Just taking those two examples, albeit I understand I do not have the US figues for internet users, what do you think the % of WoW subs are US vs. foreign sales?

I haven't talked to a player of WoW in my community circles in 3+ years, and no one plans on playing MoP. so my guess is 90% of those subs are foreign sales. Thus maybe that is the reason Vivendi is trying to dump the game.

I could be very wrong, but I just haven't seen the numbers (US players) ever in this genre to support WoW's figures, never have, and I been mmo'in since '98.

???

I think you mean 1.4 billion mate.

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159

I don't agree with any of that, but different strokes and all.  Ilidan was cool, but the Lich King kicked his ass.  And Deathwing was a big dragon... ooo scary.  I don't know anyone but 5 year olds who are scared of dragons.  I don't even like them being the main villains in GW2.

You're funny.  Let me get this straight.  An 8 foot tall darth vader looking dude with a sword is coming towards you, or a 300 foot long dragon is descending quickly towards you and you'd be more scared of the dude with the sword?  Yeah, right!

• LummLumm Member UncommonPosts: 134

Sorry to say but there are way too many quality game out there right now to come flocking back to the same old thing WoW is and always will be. They put out content like snail and it always gives you that feeling that you have done that before.

I'll pass, it's time to let this one die for me.

Originally posted by fenistil

here's some neat thoughts though, ever since they were able to offer the game in China, it announced 12 million subs (9million today), but yet no one offers some simple math to the numbers.

US has 300 million population, I confess I do not know the % or number of internet users in the US.

China has 3.4 billion population, and I recently read that over 300 million of that population has internet access, not counting internet cafe users (which is also an immense number I am told).

Just taking those two examples, albeit I understand I do not have the US figues for internet users, what do you think the % of WoW subs are US vs. foreign sales?

I haven't talked to a player of WoW in my community circles in 3+ years, and no one plans on playing MoP. so my guess is 90% of those subs are foreign sales. Thus maybe that is the reason Vivendi is trying to dump the game.

I could be very wrong, but I just haven't seen the numbers (US players) ever in this genre to support WoW's figures, never have, and I been mmo'in since '98.

???

I think you mean 1.4 billion mate.

Totally right, 1.347 billion, not sure what I was smoking at the time, I really need to share it. It was a typo though, possibly was thinking of the multiples vs US, missed the 1, but yeah a typo for sure. Thanks for pointing that out! Could be 'Red Dawn' flashbacks as well.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Grimlock426

I don't agree with any of that, but different strokes and all.  Ilidan was cool, but the Lich King kicked his ass.  And Deathwing was a big dragon... ooo scary.  I don't know anyone but 5 year olds who are scared of dragons.  I don't even like them being the main villains in GW2.

You're funny.  Let me get this straight.  An 8 foot tall darth vader looking dude with a sword is coming towards you, or a 300 foot long dragon is descending quickly towards you and you'd be more scared of the dude with the sword?  Yeah, right!

Eh.  That darth vader looking dude wouldn't just fry you, he'd trap your soul for eternity... or in this case, until a 25 man raid killed him and set you free.  Like I said, dragons are kind of old news.  I preferred the Lich King, even if Arthas himself was a pansy.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by delete5230

1) Tired of getting hacked every time I cancel my account.

2) I refuse to play around with key logger stuff or what ever you call that crap, when Blizzard is ultimately responsible for resolving hacking.

3) I don't have the latest expansion. The last thing I would do is pay $39.00 for it BEFORE I could even think about about the Panda expansion.

4) This game is getting old. They should offer the entire bundle of original game and all expansions including the Panda thing for $29.00......Anything else would be greed !!!!

5) The game is a lobby game now....Sit and wait for ques.

6) The open world is completely dead of community ( play by your self ).

7) Too easy, the game is for 6 year olds.

I really have no plans on going back. GW2 all the way. If GW2 goes bad, I will go back to Vanguard, Find a non f2p guild and stay there..........But no panda thing......They destroyed this game for good

ad 1.: never ever happened anything like this. Usually play for 3 or 4 months, then I take detour for few. Take better care of your computer.

ad 2: false

ad 3: your problem

ad 4: not really, Cata refreshed a lot; but you know how they say about wine getting older ... :-))

ad 5. nope

ad 6: well, lfg influenced this; all game soloable to max level; LOVE this; btw, for socializing go out of house away from keyboard with your real life friends; socializing in game can be fun, but for sure is not something I'm (and any should) looking forward

ad 7: nope, 50 here and I do not agree; it is just right; of course if you start new expansion full epic is YOUR problem, not of game; if it would not be so, players that do not raid or buy gold to buy ful epic equipment would not be able at all to play.

About Pandas ... will help a lot to make small kids go away. Small kids want to look adult, playing something "strong" not pandas. :-)

Despite my new best game is SWTOR (excluding pvp and end game to which i do not care not even minimally), Wow is still solid second. Followed by Rift. Starting to like more and more also TSW.

• KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121

LOL.... ummmm, no.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

China has 1.4 billion population, and I recently read that over 300 million of that population has internet access, not counting internet cafe users (which is also an immense number I am told).

edited for a 2billion flaw in my typing, lol

Your personal experience is beyond insignificant due to small sample size. What you know 1k people at most? Probably a lot less than that and you might even know someone who is playing WoW but you just don't know it.

Your guess that 90% of those subs are foreign sales is based on nothing. You just say that the pop of China is 1.4 billion and the pop of the US is 300 mil. So what? Also you do realise that people also care about EU subs? We pay just as much as the US. The only thing that matters is whether those 9m subs actually pay the sub fee or are they using the Asian model of payment (whatever that is). If WoW had 8m EU subs and 1k US subs and 900k China subs no one would care that the game only has 1k subs in the US because they have 8m in the EU where people pay the regular sub fee.

You don't seem to understand why Vivendi wants to get rid of Activision Blizzard at all. It's certainly not because the company is doing badly. It is because of Vivendi has a lot of accumulated debt. Also Acti Blizzard is worth a shitload of money and their games are some of the most profitable ones to ever grace this planet.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421

I don't share your perspective... One thing you said correct though, WoW is a "fallback MMO". That is the first time I've heard someone call WoW that but I bet it won't be the last. That might be it's new branded title, "WoW the most pupular fallback MMO".