Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play Darkfall if it had WoW/Allod graphics and animations?

2»

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Atlan99

Graphics and animations are excuses TBH. People use them when they don't want to talk about the real reasons they don't play a game.

For Darkfall it was the grind that was the biggest hurdle. This has been fixed finally.

I would say number 2 is the FPS controls and high skill level required to play the game. A good player can destroy multiple bad players fairly easily. Traditional mmo's have much lower skill gaps between veteran and noobs. For instance in a traditional mmo I can be good with less than a week's playtime. I can master a class in a month or less. You could play Darkfall for years before mastering it.

I would say the sandbox part of Darkfall is another big hurdle for most players. Players and alliances can be ruthless. Too many people whine about fair fights and fail to adapt in Darkfall. Whining about fair fights in war is probably as effective in Darkfall as it is IRL.

actually, Iam playing the game, and the only thing that bothers me, besides the FFA/Full Loot, is the Graphics and Animations.

come on, somebody post a screenshot of the character at the menu and side by side it to a picture of a similar WoW character in the character menu...

WoW is so ahead of this game its not even funny.

the animations are soo poor. running feels so lame. and melee is horrible to watch. I dont like playing ranged in fantasy MMO. So melee is what I view most often. Terrible animations compared to WoW!!

even Allod look better!!!

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

actually, Iam playing the game, and the only thing that bothers me, besides the FFA/Full Loot, is the Graphics and Animations.

come on, somebody post a screenshot of the character at the menu and side by side it to a picture of a similar WoW character in the character menu...

WoW is so ahead of this game its not even funny.

the animations are soo poor. running feels so lame. and melee is horrible to watch. I dont like playing ranged in fantasy MMO. So melee is what I view most often. Terrible animations compared to WoW!!

even Allod look better!!!

Really?

Do you have your graphics turned down? Because I find Darkfall's graphics superior to Wow's.

As far as animations for melee. It's probably because you only have one for melee outside of the power attack, knockback, whirlwind and disable. I would venture it is more because it is repetitive than bad.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Any reason you didnt say "Tera/Guild Wars 2 graphics" ?
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I play Darkfall anyway.. changing the graphics to a more cartoon style like wow would put me right off it...

Now changing it to a nice gritty feeling like AOC would be a lot better :)

AS for Darkfall itself, sure there are some issues and the devs are slow at reacting but I love ffa full loot pvp games and this is the best on the market at the moment.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    I would play darkfall if I had the time. Not a casual friendly game.

You should check it out now then with the skill gain increases you can max out a character in a month no probs.. also gold drops are a lot higher in game so money is no longer an issue..

• AntiocheAntioche Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Originally posted by spankybus
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlay
    Graphics and animations weren't what drove me off. It was rampant hacks, lack of PvP purpose, and the if you weren'y one of the big two you couldn't even start a character with serial ganking even in town.

/signed  the game was just a bunch of asshats killing me within 5 minutes of character creation. I really don't wanna be therapy for someone else's self-esteem issues.

I miiss UO, Reds and all...at least the guards kept the town safe and only the wilds were wild. It wasn't constant and there were consequences for being a douche, a la loss of town access. Kind of cool.

These issues have been addressed. If a player attacks you in a city they will get killed by towers, and probably other players as well. Also, having played the game quite a bit I rarely had these problems. Perhaps you were in a clan that was in a war with another clan, which allowed you to get killed with immunity in a city. Or perhaps you were in a player-controlled city where the only protection you have are your allies, and most useless towers. 

Going red in DF, like UO, results in the inability to go into NPC cities and towns because the towers will kill you. I am not sure when you last played this game, but it would appear that you haven't kept up with the updates.

It is pathos we lack, and this lack of pathos makes the worlds we explore quite stale.

http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Antioche

Originally posted by Caldrin

I play Darkfall anyway.. changing the graphics to a more cartoon style like wow would put me right off it...

Now changing it to a nice gritty feeling like AOC would be a lot better :)

AS for Darkfall itself, sure there are some issues and the devs are slow at reacting but I love ffa full loot pvp games and this is the best on the market at the moment.

I certainly agree with Caldrin. The graphics of darkfall, in terms of how they look, are not the problem. The biggest issue is how poorly designed the game engine is for handling large numbers of players in a single area. If you look into how to increase your fps in Darkfall on the official forums you will notice that most players turn almost everything off, particularly shadows. Everyone decreases chat histories, and removes as many UI elements as possible. I am not sure which genius at AV was responsible for the abysmal user interface that Darkfall uses, but it is a complete failure.

A javascript web-browser-like UI in an MMO is a terrible idea. It ruins fps, is slow, difficult to use, and doesn't allow for customization by the player-base. I would much rather have a WoW-style UI in darkfall than the trash it uses now. 

On that point, AV has talked a lot about how in DF 2.0 they have completely redone the UI. Hopefully for the better, but that remains to be seen. 

It is pathos we lack, and this lack of pathos makes the worlds we explore quite stale.

Originally posted by Nizur

Nope. Let WoW keep that style. I didn't mind the graphics in DF as they were. The main reason I stopped playing it was my computer wasn't able to run it well.

Same here. Sad times.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by mCalvert

Darkfall graphics are on par with WoW, but Darkfall is a far more meaningful game. THe reason I quit it was the skill grind, lack of balance, simple combat, and lack of metagame content. THeres is some metagame, but not enough.

How is DF "meaningful"?

You own and have to defend property. When you die, people take your stuff. In order to have something, someone has to make it or loot it, and then sell it. You cant survive without playing with others. Diplomacy matters. You can own things that take many hours and days to get, and lose it all in an instant.

So, what an individual does in the game affects others. Whereas in themeparks, youre just another hero. And the world doesnt care if you live or die.

That's the coolest thing ever.  I hold some hope for a good sandbox game that will actually install on my PC.

u seem to have old computer :P

• BLOBtheTROLLBLOBtheTROLL Member Posts: 75

NO, I dont play diablo 3 because of it . did you see how fast they removed  stupid childish sounds  when everyone fraked out in world of tanks when they trided to intoduce them .

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Darkfall is worst mmo i ever played but with one of best graphic, so why  to change graphic when you have fail pvp with huge balls of fire, or ice or whats ever
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by palulalula
    Darkfall is worst mmo i ever played but with one of best graphic, so why  to change graphic when you have fail pvp with huge balls of fire, or ice or whats ever

lol.

take ganks a little too personally?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433

No. Graphics are not what's wrong with Darkfall.

Thankfully, what IS wrong with Darkfall has largely been fixed, and whats left will be totally fixed come 2.0 launch.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    Darkfall with the graphism of WOw, thank you for the good laugh, my eyes are bleeding...
  • DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

No.

I would like if Darkfall would become a sandbox MMO with many chocies of gameplay like they promised in the 10 years of developemnt.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlay
    Graphics and animations weren't what drove me off. It was rampant hacks, lack of PvP purpose, and the if you weren'y one of the big two you couldn't even start a character with serial ganking even in town.

Pretty much the same as CyclopsSlay.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by Ichmen

what does the games graphics have to do with its enjoyment factor?

Haha true, people play chess. It has no animation and the graphics sucks, still it`s very popular.

I would play a panda in WOW if it had full-loot.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by Hotjazz
    Originally posted by Ichmen

what does the games graphics have to do with its enjoyment factor?

Haha true, people play chess. It has no animation and the graphics sucks, still it`s very popular.

I would play a panda in WOW if it had full-loot.

In wow, you got no chance to survive. You fight or you die. With all these CCs, full loot will never fit well. 

You watch a pvp video in wow, everyone gets slowed down, stun, fear... How stressfull could it be with full loot? Not only that, but its tab target. UO had some form of skills, wow doesnt.

Unlike DF, its not too hard to get away from a zerg when you solo. The environment and utility spells plays a huge part. You can dodge anything including wof. Full loot was made for DF. 

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

Heres my thoughts, and at first i thought you had downs suggesting such a possibility that it was the lack of low rez characters and goofy graphics that was turning people off.  Then i think i realize the jist of your question.

Theres a lot about darkfall most just dont understand and think its just an oversight in development.  "Why cant i auto loot" "why cant i zoom out more" "why does the loot just go in the bag all random/how can i autosort my bag"

All these "features" are to well...make the game more difficult.  Looting and your field of view was meant to give the ability to surprise people, to make looting mobs and players a risky venture where your vulnerable.. ect...in fact a lot of the games funkyness makes it difficult and i think that was the intention.  It really adds to the game imo.

Now with the fluid combat and animations, here is a wow specialty, their game plays like butter.  Darkfall's is glitchy and clunky compared.  However when comparing it to DF's competition it really is the combat/animation "wow" of full loot sandboxes...yeah i know doesnt say much, but its really why theres even still a following....aside from the fact that i LOVE how you get only one character, and that character isnt restricted.  I can mine whatever i want, i can craft whatever i want...and it all makes me a better combat character...something lacking in other sandboxes that make you choose crafter/combat/archer/magic.  Yes their mistake was allowing people to use the best of everything in one single encounter, should have had a restricted skills bar that makes you chose...while giving you the option to be another role later.

Anyway.

Theres about 5-10 people that really trust AV to make good decisions, theres about 3-5 people of that 10 who think 2.0 is close to release.  2.0 has the potential to make this game great.  It also has the potention to make the game a stale pvp-simulator with full loot....or buff up the pve side of the game adding more sand and making the game fantastic.

My guess is that 2.0 is still a very long ways off and when it gets here most people who currently love 1.0 will hate it.

Would more people play this game if it was wow with aim targeting..you bet...the herd will lap up anything unorigional, easy, and shallow...proven time and time again.

Those of use who dont want an easy game need game like this...despite theyve made this game have wows progression   recently...this game use to be seriously hardcore for anyone who didnt macro skills up.  The most unfortunate part of this games life was the crowd of players who wanted a FPS with full loot and swords chasing away any pve players who still wanted full loot but just wanted the ability to progress past the nooby mobs that were camped 24/7.  Developers caved time and time again to these people who didnt want a game between character creation and a maxed out toon.  I believe 2.0 will be more catering to these people...the same people who said over and over the grind was the reason no one plays (these people macroed their character anyway) and every time they made the grind less..the more the pop remained the same...even now with wow-style progression the pop remains the same...was never the grind.