Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

WOW strikes first.

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by Wicoa
    Im a wow fan and this annoys me, they should be focusing on their customers not on a game that has no subscription.

Why? If you're already paying a subscription they have you by the short and curlies and they know it.

This is purely a tactic to try and minimize the blood loss from players potentially playing GW2 and liking it enough to cancel their subs. It won't have any affect on non-WoW players or those that quit some time ago. For example, someone that never played WoW would need to buy all the prior releases and get a sub going (no idea what that would cost these days), and someone like myself would need to purchase Cataclysm as well as Pandas and renew my sub just to get back into it and sample what MoP is all about. (Not going to happen.)  Considering I retired ol' Herbslayer on Scarlet Crusade prior to Cataclysm primarily because the game was reduced to nothing but a single raid over and over again with dailies on the off days... ugh. No amount of pandamonium can suck me back into that model. The fun was long gone, it was merely a second job that I had to pay monthly to do.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• AerowynAerowyn BUZZARDS BAY, MAPosts: 7,928Member
    Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by heartless
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    I still find it funny how people say one game won't effect another becuase of its setting or types of players... how i see it is GW2 is the first AAA MMO to be released with the B2P model. When people see a AAA MMO come out with the amount of stuff to do and content as GW2 it will cause some backlash on other games. Many wow fans are set in their ways and I feel age is hurting wow more than anything but to say GW2 won't effect wow at all is ridiculous. Both are themeparks both are high fantasy(sorta). Even TSW i feel will be effected since already many are questioning TSW longevity due to reliance on story based content ala swtor and for people into PVP more GW2 will probably spark peoples interest. Even those tired of the fantasy setting the no monthly fee on a AAA MMO will surely peak the interest of many MMO players.

Agreed with this. While there are some players who will not play WoW or GW2 or TSW because of the setting or some other feature, most gamers are just looking for a good game.

I agree, although the key is not the initial effect, it's whether it lasts, WOW has seen many players leave yet return a few months later as an example. It's hard to compete with a game that has as much content as one that has years of post release development.

true but most of those games have tried the exact same thing which is to beat wow at their own game yet not offering enough new or in most cases different enough content.. In this aspect i feel GW2 delivers on not being another clone but has a ton of content and is B2P. All in all its a recipe for a very successful game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• sammandarsammandar San Antonio, TXPosts: 523Member
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by heartless
    I still find it funny how people say one game won't effect another becuase of its setting or types of players... how i see it is GW2 is the first AAA MMO to be released with the B2P model. When people see a AAA MMO come out with the amount of stuff to do and content as GW2 it will cause some backlash on other games. Many wow fans are set in their ways and I feel age is hurting wow more than anything but to say GW2 won't effect wow at all is ridiculous. Both are themeparks both are high fantasy(sorta). Even TSW i feel will be effected since already many are questioning TSW longevity due to reliance on story based content ala swtor and for people into PVP more GW2 will probably spark peoples interest. Even those tired of the fantasy setting the no monthly fee on a AAA MMO will surely peak the interest of many MMO players.

Agreed with this. While there are some players who will not play WoW or GW2 or TSW because of the setting or some other feature, most gamers are just looking for a good game.

I agree, although the key is not the initial effect, it's whether it lasts, WOW has seen many players leave yet return a few months later as an example. It's hard to compete with a game that has as much content as one that has years of post release development.

true but most of those games have tried the exact same thing which is to beat wow at their own game yet not offering enough new or in most cases different enough content.. In this aspect i feel GW2 delivers on not being another clone but has a ton of content and is B2P. All in all its a recipe for a very successful game

that's the key difference from GW2 and most other mmos that attempted at a shot at the "king" (wow). Most other games were nothing but wow-clones; GW2 is very much its own game and in many respects I believe much better than wow and offers many more new "things" that wow does not and cannot offer. Biggest difference? B2P vs P2P. What you pay for what you get, no game offers you more than GW2.

• IstavaanIstavaan CorkPosts: 1,350Member
    They sound desperate to me, guild wars 2 is the biggest challenge to wow to date.
  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common

for the amazon lists,

amazon does not offer the MOP deluxe version and probably explains why "MOP standard" isnt even in the Amazon top 100

even WOW Cata and WOW LK are listed in the top 100

MOP deluxe version is probably the best deal for MOP, because it comes w mount and pet for 60.00

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/services/digital-deluxe/

regarding the GW1 7 million number, it was verified that at least 5 million of those were unique accounts

from Feb 2009 financials - is a summary of accounts created  (not boxes sold)

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/ncsoft-releases-quarterly-report-guild-t10355520.html?s=03c4de217efb063cd387c2af2fa6ac77&t=10355520

QTR / Accounts
    Sep 2006 / 2,447,000
    Dec 2006 / 3,122,000
    Mar 2007 / 3,555,000
    Jun 2007 / 3,917,000
    Sep 2007 / 4,500,000
    Dec 2007 / 4,878,000
    Mar 2008 / 5,159,000
    Jun 2008 / 5,377,000
    Sep 2008 / 5,589,000
    Dec 2008 / 5,803,000

• ownprocessownprocess Newcastle Upon TynePosts: 20Member
    GW1 was never a direct competitor anyway, no subsciption charges etc.  Pretty sure the 2 games will co-exist happily.  Though I'm sure pretty much all games will initially see a dip in players for a while after GW2's release.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member

Standard marketing practices draw amazed reactions!  (Oooooh! rabblerabble)

Quick-draw duel of slippery slopes at high noon!

Audience concludes that Westerns were already dead by the late 60s!  Exciting stuff.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan EastPosts: 2,630Member
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Standard marketing practices draw amazed reactions!  (Oooooh! rabblerabble)

Quick-draw duel of slippery slopes at high noon!

Audience concludes that Westerns were already dead by the late 60s!  Exciting stuff.

That guy disagrees:

If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

• ChristoooChristooo BrisbanePosts: 86Member
    Desperate as hell to keep their playerbase haha smart but yes desperate
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen USA, GAPosts: 2,451Member Uncommon
    GW2 is the only game I've seen Blizzard take notice of in terms of worry from taking their subscribers. We need more good mmo's. Competition is good for the customers. They have to work harder to keep us playing their games. image

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• otinanai123otinanai123 NowherePosts: 265Member
    Originally posted by Nadia

for the amazon lists,

amazon does not offer the MOP deluxe version and probably explains why "MOP standard" isnt even in the Amazon top 100

even WOW Cata and WOW LK are listed in the top 100

MOP deluxe version is probably the best deal for MOP, because it comes w mount and pet for 60.00

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/services/digital-deluxe/

regarding the GW1 7 million number, it was verified that at least 5 million of those were unique accounts

from Feb 2009 financials - is a summary of accounts created  (not boxes sold)

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/ncsoft-releases-quarterly-report-guild-t10355520.html?s=03c4de217efb063cd387c2af2fa6ac77&t=10355520

QTR / Accounts
    Sep 2006 / 2,447,000
    Dec 2006 / 3,122,000
    Mar 2007 / 3,555,000
    Jun 2007 / 3,917,000
    Sep 2007 / 4,500,000
    Dec 2007 / 4,878,000
    Mar 2008 / 5,159,000
    Jun 2008 / 5,377,000
    Sep 2008 / 5,589,000
    Dec 2008 / 5,803,000

So we have 5.8 mil accounts and 7 mil boxes sold? which means that less than 1 mil. out of those accounts bought more than one expansion. Which means that at least 80% of those who bought gw1 got bored of it pretty fast. Interesting... (assuming most people who buy more than 1 box usually buy all 4 we can safely say that its closer to 90-95% and not just 80%) Let's hope gw2 has a better retention rate.

• gw1228gw1228 San Antonio, TXPosts: 126Member
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/14/world-of-warcraft-schedules-big-patch-for-guild-wars-2s-launch/

Despite removing every ounce of anything resembling a war from Warcraft, Blizz has made it very clear they are willing to get into a war with GW2.

WOW knows there days are numbered when it comes to GW2 but

WOW will always have a fanbase....always

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by otinanai123

So we have 5.8 mil accounts and 7 mil boxes sold? which means that less than 1 mil. out of those accounts bought more than one expansion. Which means that at least 80% of those who bought gw1 got bored of it pretty fast. Interesting... (assuming most people who buy more than 1 box usually buy all 4 we can safely say that its closer to 90-95% and not just 80%) Let's hope gw2 has a better retention rate.

GW has been selling bundle packs since 2006

GW Trilogy is probably their best seller --- similar to Warcraft Battlechest etc

• time007time007 Houston, TXPosts: 490Member Uncommon
    oh wow, a panda!  a screenshot of a cartoon panda at that!  not only that, but its graphics are like a cartoon from 10 years ago!  Not sure how any adult can take the MoP expansion seriously and continue to play WoW. 

• majimaji ColognePosts: 2,003Member Uncommon

This is a big deal because it shows that even WOW is worried about GW2.

Yeah, right. Same as Blizzard was worried about Torchlight 2. Diablo 3 didn't sell at all, if I remember that correctly.

-.-

GW2 won't do anything to WoW. Lots of players will buy it at first because of the hype. Then a lot of players will leave. And then it will stabilize at an average (for an MMORPG, low if compared to Blizzard) playerbase.

I'm glad that you are such a fan of GW2, but Blizzard has no reason to be worried at all. In the worst case, they'll just earn 99 million a month instead of 100. GW2 will probably a good game, but it offers nothing groundbreaking new.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member
    Originally posted by maji
     GW2 will probably a good game, but it offers nothing groundbreaking new.

That's debateable as it has a lot of things that have never been put together all in one package.

So what you have is a sub model game vs a B2p game.  Let's get ready to rumble.

• otinanai123otinanai123 NowherePosts: 265Member
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by otinanai123

GW has been selling bundle packs since 2006

GW Trilogy is probably their best seller --- similar to Warcraft Battlechest etc

So they count the trilogy as one box?

• LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,055Member Uncommon

Oh Jeez ! I am going totally skip the launch of a highly anticipated brand new MMO in order to try out a new patch to a game from 2004 !

LOL

• jondifooljondifool cphPosts: 1,114Member
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

Oh Jeez ! I am going totally skip the launch of a highly anticipated brand new MMO in order to try out a new patch to a game from 2004 !

LOL

YOU are not who blizzard targets with that move. Its those hanging out in wow ready for something new but not aware of what it should be. They try to make those deaf to the laud calls that will come in their forums and ingame chat about GW2 during the next month. 

read how to create a succesfull mmo before posting about GW2. And read tao of ArenaNet before talking about innovation in GW2

• Scripture1Scripture1 Philadelpihia, PAPosts: 426Member

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/14/world-of-warcraft-schedules-big-patch-for-guild-wars-2s-launch/

Despite removing every ounce of anything resembling a war from Warcraft, Blizz has made it very clear they are willing to get into a war with GW2.

All I see happening here is Blizzard piggy-backing off GW2's spotlight. There is clearly more attention given to WoW's release of this Xpack, because it's the same time as GW2's release. The problem is that they make WoW look like an old ugly worn out x-girl friend that's trying to get the attention of the man that left her for the hotter new lady that stepped in the room :-D

Hey GW2, can I call you on the 28th?!

By the way, I don't know if it has already been mentionned (didn't read every post in this huge thread), but Funcom are also releasing a "content" patch for TSW... August 28.

Quite hillarious... and by the looks of it, a rushed content patch, there's no new landmass, only reusing existing ones.

If you wonder why I don't answer your posts, it's most likely because you are on my block list - so don't waste your time.

• loulakiloulaki PatrasPosts: 918Member
    Originally posted by Kaneth
    Blizzard has done something similar for nearly every major mmo release for years now. This is nothing new, and it's not even really all that noteworthy because it's so predictable.

thats why i feel so sorry for the fans of Blizzard ...

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon LondonPosts: 205Member

To be honest, Arena made the first blow when they announced the release of a game better than WoW with no Sub..

Anyone slightly interested in MoP are single celled Amoeba. 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• JakdstripperJakdstripper logan lake, BCPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon

.....meanwhile at Blizz headquarters

" GW2 is friken amazing.....i can't believe this will be F2P. This is war.  we absolutely NEED to strike first.....GET THE FRIKEN PANDA ARMY READY!"

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

.....meanwhile at Blizz headquarters " GW2 is friken amazing.....i can't believe this will be F2P. This is war.  we absolutely NEED to strike first.......GET THE PANDA ARMY READY!"

Your post reminded me of this:

http://www.thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=163