Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

See that tower there in the distance?

tuppe99tuppe99 Dublin, INPosts: 276Member Uncommon

Can I go there in this game?

Or does it have backdrop images like SWTOR?

I don't mind loading screen between zones, but I hate seeing something interesting in the distance and then being stopped from getting there by invisible walls, etc.

Also, in a zone, when I enter a building, do I get a loading screen or is that seamless?

Comments

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon LondonPosts: 205Member

This tower? *jumps up and down on it* 

From the 2 hardcore weekends of beta I can say From Asura and Norn Level 1-35/38 I saw none of what your saying. EA hath not touched a hair on this game! 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• Loser60Loser60 VilniusPosts: 170Member
    If you are speaking about http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wizard's_Tower , then I highly doubt you could reach it, but houses usually don't have loading screens.
  • MothanosMothanos ArnhemPosts: 1,860Member Uncommon

there is a movie floating on youtube where a reporter saw a building in the distance, after a solid hour of jumping crawling swimming he got to that point in the distance and it turned out to be a building that looks the same as Anets logo :)

if thats what you mean ?

So ye the background is not pixels in the distance but real buildings and mountains.

• seridanseridan ThessalonikiPosts: 1,202Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tuppe99

I don't mind loading screen between zones, but I hate seeing something interesting in the distance and then being stopped from getting there by invisible walls, etc.

Also, in a zone, when I enter a building, do I get a loading screen or is that seamless?

Most of the time you can go anywhere you can see. Some places, like Divinity's Reach as looked from the outside, can't be reached from the outside, you first have to switch to the different zone. Also, some floating "rocks" in the Asura area are pretty much unreachable (can't jump that high)

When you enter a building there is no loading screen, it is seamless, unless it's a building related to a story, like the Queen's Chambers in Divinity's Reach.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon LondonPosts: 205Member
    Seamless enough, If you recall EverQuest this works similar to that, the only time you will encounter a loading screen is when your entering your storyline or in/out of a city/other zone.

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• 7star7star SeoulPosts: 405Member

Yeah. How about this?

• NeferaNefera XPosts: 426Member
    There is a tower at least kessex peak that you can see but you can't get to (I think?). It's not just a backdrop image though, it's an actual tower that you see hanging in the air so close but yet so far...

In general though, yes you can get to majority of things you see in the distance. And no, the world is not seamless. There are loading screens, however the maps are large enough that you can spends hours without running into one, unless you purposely travel to and from a city a lot. Or do your personal story.
  • illyanaillyana quezon cityPosts: 614Member Uncommon

most building interior you can enter without loading screens, except those that are for personal story instances (like the Queen's castle room, level with the pale Tree avatar...)

there's 100X more freedom of movement and exploration, proof to that are the amazing jumping puzzles. but there are of course boundaries in the world.

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

There is no loading screen if you enter a building in zones, the door will be open and you can walk right in. exceptions are some areas in towns, where some buildings are instanced only for your party, supposedly as they're used for personal story and hence need to be 'private'.
  • illyanaillyana quezon cityPosts: 614Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Nefera
    There is a tower at least kessex peak that you can see but you can't get to (I think?). It's not just a backdrop image though, it's an actual tower that you see hanging in the air so close but yet so far...In general though, yes you can get to majority of things you see in the distance. And no, the world is not seamless. There are loading screens, however the maps are large enough that you can spends hours without running into one, unless you purposely travel to and from a city a lot. Or do your personal story.

yeah i saw that wizard's tower too and bumped into an invisible wall when i was swimming under it. Again it's perfectly acceptable that a themepark game have boundaries.

btw im crossing my fingers that the achievement for jumping puzzles & exploration, Vizier's Tower, actually pertains to that floating tower in Kessex, and may finally be explorable

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• tuppe99tuppe99 Dublin, INPosts: 276Member Uncommon
    That sounds good actually. I don't mind if there are places I cannot get to because they are too high or are blocked by a cliff, as long as I can actually get to close proximity. Unlike that other game that just uses images for a backdrop and no matter how far or long you travel in it's direction, you just never get any closer to it.
  • LokbergLokberg OlsoPosts: 315Member
    From my experiense only loading screens in a zone is going into a dungeon, personal story mission and obviously going to the next zone.
  • DaemonweaverDaemonweaver MostaPosts: 100Member Uncommon

From what I have heard the tower in Kessex hills is not currently accesible, though it most definately is not a backdrop. There is a lot of speculation that the tower will be in 1 of the expansions so fingers crossed.

Oh yeah and it the tower is currently not accesible cos there is currently no way of reaching it, however the Azura may well be working on this :)

• AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,853Member Uncommon
    Here's the ANet logo location dubbed Outlaw Island.

As far as the world map goes, here's a pretty intense idea as to how big the world of Tyria is planned to be:

http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/forums.cfm?ismb=1&postId=5084898#5084898
  • GorillaGorilla Posts: 2,202Member Uncommon
    Exploration is one of the strong points of GW2 IMHO. It's not the "run for a solid 15 minutes across a featureless landscape to find a shack" type exploration. It is a "world packed with interesting things wherever you look" sort if exploration. I spent ages trying to 'reach places' and was generally sucessful, when failing it seemed like it was because I had not found a way rather than because the place was unreadable.
  • cinoscinos LondonPosts: 963Member
    Originally posted by 7star

Yeah. How about this?

Seamless.

• 7star7star SeoulPosts: 405Member
    Originally posted by seridan

Most of the time you can go anywhere you can see. Some places, like Divinity's Reach as looked from the outside, can't be reached from the outside, you first have to switch to the different zone. Also, some floating "rocks" in the Asura area are pretty much unreachable (can't jump that high)

When you enter a building there is no loading screen, it is seamless, unless it's a building related to a story, like the Queen's Chambers in Divinity's Reach.

good news :)

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Freeland, MI, MIPosts: 1,122Member
    Can you get to the scenery? Yes, within reason.  You can see the sun, but you can't fly there.  There are some mountains that are climbable, but some you just keep sliding down.  Some buildings can be scaled, others are too tall.  On rare occasion you can't toss yourself into a big hole (i.e., the big hole in Divinity's Reach) but most of the time there are no barriers to getting where you want to go.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• DancukDancuk ClevelandPosts: 10Member

Just a question on the instancing, trying to give a scale of on which you can rate it.

10 - A lot = EQ2, as all zones, dungeons, housing (not houses, i know that a lot of houses you could walk into uninstanced) being instanced.

5 - Not very = WoW  with its continents (Kalimdor, Northrend etc) and dungeons being instanced

1 = Vangaurd seamless(some may disagree with it being seamless with its chunks and travelling to other continents but lets say its seamless as if vanguard really achieved what it set out to, as of brads vision)

• LokbergLokberg OlsoPosts: 315Member
    Originally posted by Dancuk

Just a question on the instancing, trying to give a scale of on which you can rate it.

10 - A lot = EQ2, as all zones, dungeons, housing (not houses, i know that a lot of houses you could walk into uninstanced) being instanced.

5 - Not very = WoW  with its continents (Kalimdor, Northrend etc) and dungeons being instanced

1 = Vangaurd seamless(some may disagree with it being seamless with its chunks and travelling to other continents but lets say its seamless as if vanguard really achieved what it set out to, as of brads vision)

Your mixing up instances and zones mate.

Guild wars 2 only instances are the personal story and dungeons, however there are zones aswell if i remember right its 25 of them.

Originally posted by GrumpyCharr
      On rare occasion you can't toss yourself into a big hole (i.e., the big hole in Divinity's Reach) but most of the time there are no barriers to getting where you want to go.

Yep... A friend decided to test whether the huge windows at the edge of the city in Rata Sum had railings or invisible walls - they didn't.

• SiphaedSiphaed Everywhere!Posts: 877Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Loser60
    If you are speaking about http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Wizard's_Tower , then I highly doubt you could reach it, but houses usually don't have loading screens.

THAT tower has got to become some sort of dungeon, if it's not already one.  There's no reason it wouldn't be.

• LostarLostar Johnstown, PAPosts: 901Member

I believe you can get to all of those places that are unreachable looking.

A previous poster said you could not get to the floating building in Metrica Province (Asura starting area)...That's incorrect...

SPOILER! highlight to read ...There is a complex puzzle that involves a rare key and then collecting all of the elements in order to unlock access to the sky tower that will grant access to a secret boss.  I would not be surprised to find out that all floating and seemingly unreachable areas have the exact same thing.

There was this neat little Inquest labratory built into the northwestern backside of the province.  I discovered it by looking through some windows in that complex.  There didn't seem to be any entry from where I was and that was where my final "place of interest" unlockable was for the Metrica Province.  After a lot of searching ..

SPOILER! highlight  to read  ...I found the entrance was buried in the far western side of the zone as a transporter.    

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Niagara Falls, NYPosts: 3,437Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lokberg

Your mixing up instances and zones mate.

Guild wars 2 only instances are the personal story and dungeons, however there are zones aswell if i remember right its 25 of them.

Actually, the "overflow" area means that the zones are in fact instanced. They are private instances, but they are seperate instances of the same zone.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon ParisPosts: 1,066Member

It's like EQ2.

Zones that load when you cross them and instanced dungeons.

Oh, and a zone is not the same thing as an instance.