Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Guild Wars 2: On Launch and What’s to Come

Comments

• zanzarothzanzaroth Member UncommonPosts: 40

dont see a point why i should play until level 80 when i can get all my weapon skills in 1 hour in the first level.

nothings more boring than playing 100 hours with the same skills you got in the first hour. there are no rewards for leveling. besides that few skills you can unlock with skill points. but thats not worth it.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I just hope will not be disappointed like from every single Korean trash so far. Most happy was with Aion ... up to aprox. lv. 20 ... then my disappointment was proportional to my happines at start.
  • ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by WellzyC

He lost me at the "very much a sandbox" part. Unless they implement some sort of player housing, guild town or things of that nature, not sure how that statement has any validity.

Did you actually read that part? It said "very much a sandbox MMORPG in many respects, while still focusing on dev-created content" SO what they were really saying that it's dev created content but players can change the dev created content, they weren't actually calling it an actual sandbox mmo... I swear no one knows how to read nowadays...

• CatibrieCatibrie Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Cant wait!!!
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I'm gagging for this gem..  Roll on the 25th..  Fingers crossed I've decided on a race/class combo by then.  Its a friggin nightmare deciding which is testament to the effort put into them all.

• SilverbranchSilverbranch Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Originally posted by zanzaroth

dont see a point why i should play until level 80 when i can get all my weapon skills in 1 hour in the first level.

nothings more boring than playing 100 hours with the same skills you got in the first hour. there are no rewards for leveling. besides that few skills you can unlock with skill points. but thats not worth it.

ROFL.

So, how about focussing on WHAT you use those skills on?  Or:  The Knight who saved the Damsel in Distress actually did that, instead of sitting back at the castle polishing his armor and posing in the mirror.

Wherever you go, there you are.

• crazyed66crazyed66 Member UncommonPosts: 18

I enjoyed all the betas and I am sure the launch will be great . There is a couple of things that people don't take into account. For example you buy Guild wars 2 and that is it, no subscription fully playable mmo (a cash shop that sells convenience items with a currency that can be got from in game currency as well as real money). This means that even if you play from begining to (current) end and you decide to stop playing then have you really lost out? We do exactly the same when purchasing non mmo games. As long as you enjoy the experience.

And when worried about future support, well I look at it this way, Guild wars 1 came out with the "no subscription" buisiness model and it was fantastic and even though it existed in an environment populated by everquest and WOW, the updates, quick fixes and expansions kept coming for Guild Wars 1 and is still supported today. So I WON'T be worrying about future support at all as Arenanet have already proven their worth here.

My own thoughts are that Guild wars 2 will have "better" support than Guild wars 1 ever did and we will see many expansions with new areas and expanded/enhanced content in the years to come.

They will make their money by enticing new players and by the sale of expansions, far more honourable than another mmo we all know that sells us expansions as well as charging you each month!!!!

Just say'n :)

• crazyed66crazyed66 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Lets not condem the game before it's even been released
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    I can't wait!  If the rest of the game is as good as we've seen in the BWEs, then, my friends, I would say we have a masterpiece on our hands!  Great job so far Arenanet!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by daltanious
    I just hope will not be disappointed like from every single Korean trash so far. Most happy was with Aion ... up to aprox. lv. 20 ... then my disappointment was proportional to my happines at start.

GW 2 isn't made by Koreans or in South Korea......

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Honestly while housing and guild halls are considered sandboxy, Themeparks like EQ2, and Aion have it as well. It really is not sandboxy by itself. It is more on how the housing and guild halls are implemented. If they are implemented as instaces ala EQ2 and AION it is a themepark feature. If they are implemented like SWG or Archeage which are in the world with no instancing, it is a sandbox feature. So depending on how Anet implements it will dictate that. The comment of GW2 being a sandbox game in many respects has absolutely no basis in truth. The game is a themepark, a well built one, and a great game for alot of people. It is not a sandbox, nor was it designed to be.

• slicknslim88slicknslim88 Member Posts: 394
    You realize they have all of that don't you?  And the fact that you can just go out exploring and do events instead of it being a structured quest hub game, is very reminiscent of a sandbox mmo.  Play the game, you'll have fun.
  • RubrubgrrRubrubgrr Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Those things are coming.

Personal instance is already in game, changed based on story... but Guild Halls, in-game Hall of Monuments, and housing all coming post-launch.

But it'll likely be instanced housing which is not really a sandbox feature.

The sandbox comment was Garrett Fuller's opinion, not the person he was interviewing and I personally disagree with it. There really are not any sandbox features in the game at all. The only thing remotely resembling a sandbox feature is level scaling, making the world feel more open than your standard themepark. But even with that, you just have access to more rides.

I have no clue why he threw that in, but it is sure to create controversy.

Ok - let me explain it (how I see it)

Is GW2 a sandbox? No.

Is GW2 a theme park? Yes.

What is a theme park? It's a physical plot of land in which there are many rides and attractions for you to partake of and participate in.

What is a sandbox? It is a physical plot of land in which you have the tools to modify the plot itself and create new objects.

What GW2 is is a non-linear theme park.

You are not directed from 1-cap led by the hand, yes there are plenty of "rides" and locations in this themepark, but you can choose when to go to them (if at all) and how often you visit.

Because it is a non-linear themepark, some people (myself included) get that same feeling of wanderlust one generally gets in a well-made sandbox game (UO, SWG, Skyrim, etc.)

In most themeparks since WoW, you are led from ride to ride and you do not get a choice as to which ride you go to first and how often you are able to ride them and you are not able to go back and re-ride the same rides again because they tell you you've out grown them.

This is a linear themepark - straight line through content.

GW2 is a non-linear themepark, and as such "feels" a bit more sandboxy.

0.o big grats i dont think this statment could be explained any simpler or clearer. To you i tip my hat sir!

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Kniknax
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by WellzyC

He lost me at the "very much a sandbox" part. Unless they implement some sort of player housing, guild town or things of that nature, not sure how that statement has any validity.

It's already been said after launch they will have player housing and guild halls.

Blizzard said the exact same thing just before launch. 

If Anet implement them, I will be impressed and they will tempt even more WoW players across.

This is exactly why Guild Wars 2 is one of the biggest titles in the industry, even before release. Because people believe in ArenaNet and so far we have seen every single promise become a reality with out own eyes. With that said, people have already experienced ArenaNet´s '' promise into reality '' ideal in Guild Wars ( 1 ) and to be honest, I haven´t seen a company doing the MMO-job better than Anet.

Blizard may has the best support out there but they have promised things over and over and ... NOTHING.

• Mr_HalloweenMr_Halloween Member Posts: 18
    Anet is a good company, if they can keep to their promises I'll definetely be playing GW2 for a long time!
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Woot just got done with a one hour Suprise pop up stress test, my Asura engineer was rocking worlds
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by MaxJac
    Originally posted by Suryalist

Sandbox definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_world

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_gameplay

Can't wait for GW2!

Are those links meant to convince everyone that GW2 is a sandbox game? Why is it so important that it be seen as a sanbox game anyways? Can't it be good without being a sandbox? I think so.

I think you could even argue that WoW was sandbox because you can pick and choose which quests to level up on, i.e. it isn't completely linear. However, the reality is that the game feels much more like what we know and love as a themepark, you go from ride to ride as you level up.

• jayartejayarte Member UncommonPosts: 450

I've been waiting for 5+yrs and everything I've seen so far in betas and stress tests confirms that I've been right to be so filled with anticipation and now excitement.  So far, everything set out in the manifesto trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35BPhT-KI1E) has been adhered to, which is wonderful.  Roll on 25th!

Like others have said, one of the things which pleasantly surprised me is that races (Charr, Asura) and classes (engineer, thief, guardian) which I did not expect to enjoy have drawn me in, so it's been hard to decide what to play at launch.  Finally got it narrowed down to Norn ranger, Asura elementalist and Charr guardian ... and that's just for starters.  Later there'll be a human mesmer and another Norn, this time a thief playing through the Sylvari area (that's one race I just couldn't take to).

• gamedowngamedown Member Posts: 1
    Love the new approach to levelling they seem to have taken in this game. For more in depth reviews and screenshots of GW2, check out: http://gamedownloadpro.com/?p=56
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432

Too bad they're releasing the game too early.  This is my biggest complaint after seeing the changes between all 3 BWEs.  The game isn't ready to be shipped, but they're doing it anyway.  (Combat is still garbage, especially for melee classes, and still doesn't give the feedback GW1 gave.)

That and the cost was $60.  GW2 is the first $60 game I ever purchased.  I could tolerate spending that much.. until I saw third party sites (like GMG) selling the game for as low as $45.  I've been fighting with NCSoft support for a month now and they've refused to do anything aside from a full refund/account ban.

Christ, seeing GW2 depresses me.  I don't even think I'll enjoy the game on release.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    My only problem is the housing... It's called "housing," but you don't get an actual house to decorate or to do crafting in. I don't know how they can even call it housing. It's more of a personalized instance zone that you can go to.

They never call it housing, it's called your 'personal instance'. Housing is confirmed to be coming post-launch.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by DAOWAce

Too bad they're releasing the game too early.  This is my biggest complaint after seeing the changes between all 3 BWEs.  The game isn't ready to be shipped, but they're doing it anyway.  (Combat is still garbage, especially for melee classes, and still doesn't give the feedback GW1 gave.)

That and the cost was $60.  GW2 is the first $60 game I ever purchased.  I could tolerate spending that much.. until I saw third party sites (like GMG) selling the game for as low as $45.  I've been fighting with NCSoft support for a month now and they've refused to do anything aside from a full refund/account ban.

Christ, seeing GW2 depresses me.  I don't even think I'll enjoy the game on release.

You're one of very few people with that opinion... GW2 is currently the most polished pre-release MMO I've seen.

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

You could buy it cheaper from third party websites and then get scammed. I saw loads of these posts on guild wars 2 facebook. And if you really feel that you should save $15 then just get a refund and buy a year or two from now when GW2 will probably lower price. And of course by that time all your complaints about being released too early will have been fixed.

• DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    Originally posted by yaoming36

You could buy it cheaper from third party websites and then get scammed. I saw loads of these posts on guild wars 2 facebook. And if you really feel that you should save $15 then just get a refund and buy a year or two from now when GW2 will probably lower price. And of course by that time all your complaints about being released too early will have been fixed.

GMG/Newegg doesn't scam people.

Buying the game a year+ down the road voids the entire point of wanting to play GW2 on release. (Not to mention my alias' will be taken)

I've been playing Guild Wars for over 7 years; I've been waiting for GW2 for a very, very long time.  Regardless of my desire to play GW2 ASAP, the beta weekends after #1 were not good experiences and showed clearly that the game was not ready to ship.  Sure, it may be more polished than most games on launch, but it doesn't mean it's ready.  I was expecting to play GW2 later in the year, but they insist on getting it out months earlier than anticipated for some reason.  That reason is what upsets me.

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819
    Originally posted by yaoming36

GMG/Newegg doesn't scam people.

Buying the game a year+ down the road voids the entire point of wanting to play GW2 on release. (Not to mention my alias' will be taken)

I've been playing Guild Wars for over 7 years; I've been waiting for GW2 for a very, very long time.  Regardless of my desire to play GW2 ASAP, the beta weekends after #1 were not good experiences and showed clearly that the game was not ready to ship.  Sure, it may be more polished than most games on launch, but it doesn't mean it's ready.  I was expecting to play GW2 later in the year, but they insist on getting it out months earlier than anticipated for some reason.  That reason is what upsets me.

You must be a Developer or somekind of an MMO guru, cause I was in all three BWE and I didn't encounter any problems, and in my own personal experience, the BWE just got better and better. And all the major feedbacks was answered by Anet.

I actually find the combat fun, I played as an Warrior, and then Elementalist so Not sure what you meant by Melee being broken. My warrior was doing great, same for my Elementalist range and melee combat was very smooth on my end.

I guess I am just not in the same league as you to see the flaws in Game Design and MMO polish.

But atleast many that was in BWE agreed that the game is ready and the features are working as intended.

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.