Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Picking a Race

13»

Comments

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Charr - Rifle Warrior. Charrs are very proud about inventing guns and Rifle Warrior is FUN

Human - Ranger 

Sylvari - Mesmer

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• ta_erogta_erog Member Posts: 34
    First I have to say it always freaks me out having to use the wrong word "Race" all of the time.  Every "Race" here is a clearly different Species (except possibly the humans and the Norn), There is no evidence of in story or lore or even seem to be the possibility of (non magic) interbreeding . .so the word Race is clearly completely wrong. A pet peeve. (The more people reenforce the word Race to equal different Species the easier it is for people to think other human Races are lesser or other.)

to the point though I rather like the non humans. In being a fantasy I rather like finding a completely different Species with unique culture and outlook on life. It seem to help with the immersion to be non human.
    So, The Char, Asura and Sylvari are my top.  They seem to have some human esque elements but when you get into them you see that they are quite different. A great job on story! And koodos for not giving female Char human breasts, making the on first glance "cute" Asura evil pointy teeth and a darkside. And the Syvari a completely different outlook on life (then just another elf. Though I would have liked them to look even less humanoid.)
  • Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by ta_erog
    First I have to say it always freaks me out having to use the wrong word "Race" all of the time.  Every "Race" here is a clearly different Species (except possibly the humans and the Norn), There is no evidence of in story or lore or even seem to be the possibility of (non magic) interbreeding . .so the word Race is clearly completely wrong. A pet peeve. (The more people reenforce the word Race to equal different Species the easier it is for people to think other human Races are lesser or other.)

to the point though I rather like the non humans. In being a fantasy I rather like finding a completely different Species with unique culture and outlook on life. It seem to help with the immersion to be non human.
    So, The Char, Asura and Sylvari are my top.  They seem to have some human esque elements but when you get into them you see that they are quite different. A great job on story! And koodos for not giving female Char human breasts, making the on first glance "cute" Asura evil pointy teeth and a darkside. And the Syvari a completely different outlook on life (then just another elf. Though I would have liked them to look even less humanoid.)

They are different races of humanoids.  Also stop trying to bring in real world race relations to support your video game pet peeve.  *throws an internet chair at you*

• KilmaulKilmaul Member UncommonPosts: 121

Charr engineer first.

Asura mesmer / norn... something next.

• wischneiwischnei Member Posts: 2

Choosing a race is the hardest part for me. Guardian for sure. But then human, asura, or norn? Norn feel a bit too lethargic/ they lumber about. Asura look kind of weird in end-game plate armor imo, but then humans seem so...mild. And a bit whiny. It feels like I'm gonna have to save Kryta from it's own apathy instead of any real threat.

• DracondisDracondis Member UncommonPosts: 177

One of each, thank you.

Starting with the obvious, an Asura Engineer.  Then a Charr Elementalist.  A Human Thief, a Sylvari Necro, and finally a Norn Ranger.  I have a few other combos I want to try if I buy expansion slots.

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

Easy pick:

Tank: Norn.

Everything else: Asura.

Fact is, that when you're PvPing in groups, you're going to want to make it as easy to target your burly guys, and as hard to target your wimpy guys, as possible.  This means making your tanks physically massive so that they take up more of the enemy's screen and make it harder to click on the ones doing the real damage.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Asura

Joined - July 2004

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598

Probably Norn first.

I'm sure I'll have one of everything anyway, but I'm not understanding what is so unique about the Slyvari.  Maybe I will after I play them, but they just look like green elves.  I mean they may be fun and that is why I will play them, but I don't understand all the comments about them being unique.  But I haven't actually played yet so maybe I'm missing something.

• MildozeMildoze Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Gonan be a silva... no a norn... maybe an asura mesmer... I dunno. fml

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    ONE OF EACH RACE PLEASE~!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Ridan477Ridan477 Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Asura Ranger for me. Only because i think it will be funny being a little guy with a huge pet.

Scoobin it up on the daily.

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

Charr Elementalist.

Norn Guardian.

Asura Engineer.(Necro?)

Sylvari Ranger

Human Thief.(Warrior?)

Gonna Need more charater slots LOL! But thats a start.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• zhivikzhivik Member Posts: 38

I think I will decide from the point of roleplay at first, though some unlikely combos may be a lot of fun (anything combining asura and melee combat, for example). I'd probably go like this:

Human Guardian - I like the profession a lot, and I think it best fits humans, due to their beleagured state in GW2

Norn Ranger - I think it matches very well the norn's spirituality, especially their connection to animal spirits

Charr Warrior - the charr's ferousness works well, though an Engineer is also a good pick, given how their culture is in a sort of an industrial revolution

Asura Elementalist - this would probably it better with humans (at least it seems so to me), but I think he asura's dealings with arcane technology is appropriate

Sylvari Mesmer - they are born in dreams, so it seems only right to have them spread illusions around

Of course, any combination would work, but I'm making picks based on profession first, and race later. Besides, I think most people would like to experience their race-specific personal story, so making one character of each race makes sense.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

Not really a lot of choice,

- Rat-ghouls

- Fascist cats

- Plant hippies

- Humans

- Larger stupid humans

Oh gee I guess I'm picking human.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Asura look like bald rats. Ugly little bald rats... LOL
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Lol races and species that's a good one, I think you just crushed a little Asura's feelings and the Norn are so angry for being called dumb they could kick an Asura.
  • ta_erogta_erog Member Posts: 34

They are different races of humanoids.  Also stop trying to bring in real world race relations to support your video game pet peeve.  *throws an internet chair at you*

Bah see how far mating with a plant gets you :P 

"real world race relations" ?  It is simply the wrong word . . might has well call a long sword a dagger, or a Char a big dog . . we are still speaking English and using the wrong word is still using the wrong word.  We have just got used to using it in fantasies, and in some fantasies it really is fine saying either.  But in GWs? point out a instance of non magical cross breading of the mayor players and I will happily agree with you otherwise . . it is the wrong word.

• SenfulkatSenfulkat Member Posts: 1
    Human all the way!!!!
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I have no interest in humans or sylvari.

I'll probably make a Charr warrior first.  I can see myself making a Norn and possibly an Asura.

I've mostly avoided reading up on the game as I've heard enough to know that I want to buy it.  With every MMO in the past I was only concerned with my main character.  With GW2 being B2P I'm trying to figure out which class I want each race to play (other than human).

I have to admit the idea of a Norn Thief is funny.

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529

Sylvari Ranger

Asura Necro

Norn Warrior (maybe)

Charr Thief