Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feet slide

7star7star Member Posts: 405

I saw this video on the GW2 feet sliding effect in comparison to WoW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhMSaryh0p8

I have noticed this in every single game I have played besides WoW to a greater or lesser extent. I'm playing TSW now, and I think they have done the best job of reducing "feet slide" compared to other games released since WoW. It may be one reason I can still enjoy playing that game.

I noticed "feet slide" the first time I played SWTOR and I felt it was doomed (for me anyway, because it was really irritating and immersion breaking). If BW spent that much money and time developing a game and couldn't give a better presentation of character movement in the environment than WoW, it was a bad sign.

One of the reasons I think a lot of people keep coming back to WoW and say WoW is a polished game, etc. is exemplified by how your character feels an actual part of the environment, rather than some external thing sliding around in it.

My question is, why can't other games get rid of the "feet slide effect" that we can see even in GW2? Does it bother you in other games? Why is WoW so solid in this respect? Do you think it's just a petty issue, or does it matter to you?

Comments

• J2KhouriJ2Khouri Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Yeah, one of the subliminal reasons people like WoW is how smooth it is mechanically. I think its their server architecture, it makes it so when you hit an ability or spell, YOU HIT THAT ABILITY OR SPELL pronto. When you input to move your toon, it moves. I think other MMOS are behind in that respect. Im not sure what it is. The feet sliding is the same idea as what i just mentioned. Its a server architecture issue, the input and output are out of sync with each other.
  • LostarLostar Member UncommonPosts: 891

I didn't notice that so much.  Though now I see it thanks to your video.  GW2 still offers something in those regards that WoW does not.  This was always a bit of a nit pick of mine as well.  When a character is standing on an incline their leg/foot clips into the geometry instead of resting naturally like so:

In Guild Wars 2, instead you get this:

I'll trade off the tiny feet sliding over the awesome elevation matching any day!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Are you the same person in the comments that said your game will eventually fail if you don't get foot sliding right??  It annoys me too, but it's a silly complaint in comparison to some actual bugs.

And in case you are wondering "but what about the steeper inclines?")

Terrain compensation remains solid!

Oops double post.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Movement in GW2 often feels floaty.  GW1 has the same issue.  Both games run on the same engine.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    Movement in GW2 often feels floaty.  GW1 has the same issue.  Both games run on the same engine.

Here is a thread that actually says the opposite of what you are saying about the engine.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/23916-gw2-graphics-engine/

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

I've been on these forums long enough to know if somone can say something regardless if it's true or not they will defend it even after proven wrong with facts. I've never seen a real person go from a jog to a stop on a dime. However i've also never seen a person float on a tiger with thier arms stuck out not grabbing anything. Anyone can reach for a problem in any mmo if they want.

Seriously thou, it's starting to get sad.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Weretigar

I've been on these forums long enough to know if somone can say something regardless if it's true or not they will defend it even after proven wrong with facts. I've never seen a real person go from a jog to a stop on a dime. However i've also never seen a person float on a tiger with thier arms stuck out not grabbing anything. Anyone can reach for a problem in any mmo if they want.

99% of problems people post will be forgotten less than a week into a game's release, unless they seriously impede progress in the game somehow.  People just like to bitch.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Originally posted by colddog04

Here is a thread that actually says the opposite of what you are saying about the engine.

Both games still have the same issue, so this is really a moot point.  Regardless, that post doesn't prove GW2 is running off a completely new engine.  The OP says it's a completely re-written engine.  The guy in the video says new engine, but how do we know "new engine" doesn't simply mean an existing engine so heavily modified that it's barely recognizable?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by colddog04

Both games still have the same issue, so this is really a moot point.  Regardless, that post doesn't prove GW2 is running off a completely new engine.  The OP says it's a completely re-written engine.  The guy in the video says new engine, but how do we know "new engine" doesn't simply mean an existing engine so heavily modified that it's barely recognizable?

I don't know, man. But I agree the animations can seem slidey at times.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973
    The biggest reason GW2 has more feet sliding than WoW is GW2 has longer transition animations (in my inexpert opinion, at least).  It isn't an issue for me though, as it does NOT effect gameplay.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

i guess thats just what 13 billion dollars in assets and a 12+ year old game engine gets you.

edit: maybe not 12 years.. i forget how old these games are sometimes.

• DallanonDallanon Member UncommonPosts: 13

I could NOT agree more with the OP!

It's totally immersion breaking and annoys me to no end. 

If WoW can perfect it (and it's been like that from day 1), surely to god GW2 can, 8+ years later.

To me it just makes it look and feel as though your character isn't really connected to the game world AT ALL.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

If you want to compare a Wow character with a GW2 character you need to look on the Asura.

Realistic looking models and cartoonishy looks different.

But sure, Wow had made a good work to make the character looks like it fits in the game (LOTRO does this really bad, the avatar looks like you photoshoped it in). With later updates on Wows graphics while the avatars still look the same in Wow the character actually fits a lot worse in the game than at relaese, but I assume they will update the character models soon.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Are you the same person in the comments that said your game will eventually fail if you don't get foot sliding right??  It annoys me too, but it's a silly complaint in comparison to some actual bugs.

No. That's not me.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by 7star

I saw this video on the GW2 feet sliding effect in comparison to WoW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhMSaryh0p8

My question is, why can't other games get rid of the "feet slide effect" that we can see even in GW2?

ANET Dev chat

http://www.guildwars2junkies.com/2012/06/07/reddit-ama-distilled-developer-chat-all-of-your-questions-answered

ArenaNetTeam: Re: Sense of moving is a great idea, what about a sense of being connected to the ground with walking/animations? Players also experience a ‘sliding’ effect when walking.

We have worked hard on this issue. Just like any game there are cases where you can make it look crazy, but we feel like those are mostly edge cases at this point. We still have some things in mind that we want to do here, but what you see now is close to what you will get.

I will explain a bit how it works.

Visually we have transition animations that help blend between different states, but for those worried about responsiveness those transitions are purely visual so as soon as you press strafe left you are moving at full speed to the left. This disconnect is what sometimes causes the floaty feeling.

Jon P

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by J2Khouri
    Yeah, one of the subliminal reasons people like WoW is how smooth it is mechanically. I think its their server architecture, it makes it so when you hit an ability or spell, YOU HIT THAT ABILITY OR SPELL pronto. When you input to move your toon, it moves. I think other MMOS are behind in that respect. Im not sure what it is. The feet sliding is the same idea as what i just mentioned. Its a server architecture issue, the input and output are out of sync with each other.

I dont know about wow being the only one. Aion does all of this just as well tbh.

In Gw2 i agree ,it is the only thing about that bothers me.

• ValuaValua Member Posts: 520

99% of problems people post will be forgotten less than a week into a game's release, unless they seriously impede progress in the game somehow.  People just like to bitch.

And some people like to defend Guild Wars 2 until their dying breath - You.

I see you on every single GW2 thread defending the game, and trying to knock down peoples opinions. 

Anyway, on topic ; I think the sliding will be fixed, but probably after launch, I've heard quite a lot of people mentioning it in the beta and stress tests. Character movement has always been make or break for me when it comes to MMO's, end of the day you'll be staring at the character for weeks/months etc. GW2 isn't as bad as some, it's bareable, but still annoying.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by Valua

And some people like to defend Guild Wars 2 until their dying breath - You.

I see you on every single GW2 thread defending the game, and trying to knock down peoples opinions. 

Anyway, on topic ; I think the sliding will be fixed, but probably after launch, I've heard quite a lot of people mentioning it in the beta and stress tests. Character movement has always been make or break for me when it comes to MMO's, end of the day you'll be staring at the character for weeks/months etc. GW2 isn't as bad as some, it's bareable, but still annoying.

I also defend swtor, and im here to tell you that ff14's new video that just came out today has this exact problem in the ops main statement. I'm not here to troll or to be a fanboy i just think its reaching because all games have wierd stuff that doesnt make sence in them.