Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: Pre-Patch Coming August 28th

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by Kost

A surprisingly excellent slew of rehashed content that you've completed in every other expansion...

The single worthwhile addition is the Monk, I've been in beta for months and it is the only thing I've found that would make the expansion worth a purchase. They really have done a great job with the class.

Pokemon battles? Naga please.

New raids? Same old same old with a flashy new skin.

Class changes? Not exactly something everyone is looking forward to, as most classes have been dumbed down even further than they were with Cata.

Talent changes? Same story as class changes.

Don't even get me started on the whole Alliance vs Horde scenario, if you were hoping that MoP brings the "war" back to warcraft, think again.

I am sure you can say pretty much the same about GW2 PvE end-game... Oh wait.,. there is none.

So just because you did not get a Naga (heard Razer have a few of those =P ) the entire expansion is bust... but going by your reason unless it contaisn snake-people the game is bust as pretty much every game is just some new skins and models combined with systems that have been in place for years now.

This have been a good conversation

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

August 28th is GW2 launch, are the business suits who run Blizzard scared or is this a coincidence.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by angzt
    Originally posted by k-damage
    As written in the other thread : this is a really desperate move.

or a standard marketing decision, if you have some brains and are no random troll :)

I'm not trolling : this move can just do the opposite to people who were on the fence on chosing MoP over GW2. A patch is nothing more than a patch, it's not the full extension. Guys will play with new talents ... try it in a 3282903820th run of Dragon Soul, and then log off. End of story. They will on the other side see GW2, a fresh new title with no sub (already a big advantage here over the question "do I renew my WoW sub for one month until MoP releases ? Or do I simply start my journey into GW2 ?").

The trick for WoW is to prevent their userbase to even start GW2, because once they're sucked in, there's a lot of chances that they won't return. It's far harder to go back to a game (especially when it's rusty old) when you're already building another avatar in another mmorpg, even more when it's garanteed to be full of excited people starting their new experience. We all know as mmorpg gamers how sweet the first player rush is, for a new mmo, or even an expansion. Plus, GW2 will last more than 2 monthes for sure.

Releasing that patch on the same day is just a clear message of "make a choice between WoW and GW2, gamers". So, chosing between rinse & repeating the same old same old raid with a few new talents, for 2 weeks ? Or start a fresh new adventure in a fresh new world with fresh new mechanics with tons of excited people, for 2 monthes ?

TL;DR : They shouldn't be so agressive, WoW is not at an advantage enough to win a dick size fight. Not anymore. A better strategy would have been to launch the patch a week earlier.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Member UncommonPosts: 920
    This just means that long-timers will have a month to decide whether or not they like what has been done with basic gameplay mechanics and whether or not they want to shell out $$$ for another reworking of the WoW that was.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• Blazi3Blazi3 Member UncommonPosts: 16

Why not add more features, even if it is from other MMO's. Saying that, there is no such thing as wow killer, we have heard the term being used way too many times and nothing happens, people always come back.. because they are too used to playing WOW.  

Won't be any different to RIFT. i loved RIFT from the start but got really bored, real quick. I give people 4 months before they same the same about GW2. 

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Originally posted by reignjuste

If gw 2 succeeds i dont see wow going far away.

The problem is that every new mmo that  comes out is just descent.Not bad but not superb as well.

Its not the matter if it succeeds, becasuse it already has hence the desperate move by blizzard.

• HaytmeHaytme Member UncommonPosts: 8
    You had a good run...now let the game die with some dignity.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

GW2 endgame starts at level 1 there brother, no need to pick up that quest and kill 15 scorpids with your brand new pandabear in the valley of strenght, <----that zone we already leveld 55 alts in rofl !

On a serious note, Blizzard is bluffing so hard here, MoP will sell alot less then TBC or WotLK.
    So many people are on what BLizzard is realy doing that most of their loyal players already left ship.
    I mean 10 months without contend updates ? while paying 13 euro's a month ? totaly ripping their playerbase off, i feel realy sorry for them, and investors see a downwards spiral in box sales since TBC / WotLK.
    So in investors eyes, MoP will fail to hit the sale target.

Many more death servers + dumbing down the game even more.
    Looking for Raid = killing off serious raiding guilds and created a whole new generation of ninja looters.

MoP = fail for the more mature wow veterans, and people who play WoW for PvP are fed up with the flavor of the month.

The only thing i see is a big old dog running and barking on his last breath.
    Time for some fresh air and some heavy competition for online gamers :)

• JenosydeJenosyde Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Hey look more content in one patch then all of gw2 can't wait!

More contend you payed with 10months of getting nothing + a full xpac price = around 160 euro !!! damn you must be happy with Blizzard awesome contend ?
    How long till you rush to 90 ? 1 day ? then getting those same purple shit mailed to you in the mailbox so you can stand in Stormwind ? !!! ? :D

Have fun again rofl :) !

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Coolit

No surprise on the date, saw it coming a mile.

What would be interesting is if ArenaNet pull a double whammy and release the first major content patch for GW2 on the 25th of September. Not really sure why Blizzard are trying to compete with a b2p game anyway, how can you compete when you're not fighting over subs?

Can't blame Blizzard for this step. At least now players have download lag whenplaying GW2 instead of WoW :p

Thanks ill be sure to do that when I'm not running the same type of bags every day with capture points or enjoying my variety of skills instead of the 5 u will get with one weapon or running ur pve content for ur pretties. :)
    Bgs not bags dumb android. :p
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Anet blinked first with a release date, allowing Blizzard to counter them. But I dont see this having a major effect on GW2, that patch event in wow will last until the release of MoP, plenty of time for ppl to try and leave again to GW2 or vice versa.
  • VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Skyline2512
    [mod edit]

This is like a guy going into a stadium yelling at everyone for enjoying sports.

The only difference here is that he won't get his assed kicked.

• TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    There's actually a surprising amount of good in this expansion, but WoW is getting old. There's no denying that. Still, it's a really excellent slew of content for its fans. I'll be checking it out.

I keep hearing that it has some great stuff in the next xpac. Not sure if its enough to drag me back though. I enjoyed the faction pvp, but now the horde and allies are more like acquaintances

Originally posted by Mothanos

More contend you payed with 10months of getting nothing + a full xpac price = around 160 euro !!! damn you must be happy with Blizzard awesome contend ?
    How long till you rush to 90 ? 1 day ? then getting those same purple shit mailed to you in the mailbox so you can stand in Stormwind ? !!! ? :D

Have fun again rofl :) !

Now tell me... on this chart here were did the evil game touch you. You do know righ that not every one rush to 90, a decent bunch of people actually enjoy the story of the game too. As for standing around in Stormwind.. that did always happen (apart from the "standing at a meeting stone" part of the game) because it was a lot easier to form a group at the main social hubs then knee deep in Ogres up in alterak Valley. People have just forgoten about it and blame the "new stuff" for it.. because new stuff is evil... But i applaude you for not doing something you do not find fun any more, just don't be a troglodyte and spew stuff you have no real concept of.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Good business plan by Blizzard. They have been on the ball with this over the years. Every game that has a good following Blizzard is right there with new content around that release. I am sure it will save them some customers but its not going to stop GW2. I am sure it will have 2-5 mill active players by the end of its first year. Not saying box sales, I mean active players.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Well most of us will be playing guild wars 2 on the 25th :)
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Won't be going back to wow until I'm eligible for some free crap. Probably, well maybe in January, by then GW2 will have spoiled me though and going back to wow is going to feel lamo, but I'm at least going to give it a try.

The Evil game touched many people who where left to rot for years on death servers.

They will pay for that mistake very soon.

There are many bitter wow players like me who feel used and abused by blizzards design choices and lack of assistance for those death realms.

Blizzard dumbed down the game so much that you cant even try a heroic raid before it gets nerfed into the ground.

Dunno where you play Tawess, but for the most part EU servers are death, like 70% is low, no FCM for those realms.

And i find it funny Blizzard thinks they can conqeur EU with MoP while neglecting a 170 page thread about death servers is neglected :P

Kinda feels like revenge ? payback ? I always believed in Blizzard, but damn Cataclysm ,D3 and MoP are so bad i wont ever touch a Blizzard game again.

In the timeframe of 1.5 year they have damaged their brand name in a very shamefull way.

Maybe you can understand now why so many people hate on Blizzard :)

Honestly i do not see any real competition between GW2 and WoW in US and Euro, if you paid by the day then maybe but people will pay their monthly sub and then play as much as they care, and then they will play any other game, and since GW2 does not have a sub it fit the bill.

That being said i think WoW will drop subs down to about 6-7 mil subs before the drop pans out... Even after the MoP boost, why... Because the game is old. It have held up better then any other game this old (that have a subscription)

As for the question... I play on Kilrogg(one of the smallest servers in the Eu park) and i do not see what you are talking about. Less players.. ofc especially as we are in the pre expansion lull... But dead, that i have yet to see.

and i can not say i see all that many people hate on Blizzard, i see a lot of MMORPG users hate on Blizzard.. but that is a small part of the 2-3 % that are active on a forum.

And if my edit did not work (it happens some tiomes) I play on Kilrogg-Eu... And it still seems to be a very livley server last time i checked.. even for a pre-expansion period.

Glad to see we have a diffrent opinion on that case.

Some people dont want to pay 60 euro + 13 euro a month ! they check what games they want to sub to or invest time in.

The people who are in doubt of what to do is what Anets and blizzard is targeting as most GW2 fans already bought GW2 and most WoW fans already bought Anual Pass or MoP.

What is left is potantial players who dint buy either yet, i seriously doubt people have time to play 2 mmo's at a time also :P 

When i play a game (mmo or FPS or whatever) i invest many hours in it untill iam fed up or a new game comes around.

In mmo's its the same, you invest many amny hours in your character and when your done with that character you reroll or quit.

Many players are fed up with WoW and this is where GW2 have a big potantial of plaers to gain and wow can only lose as far as i can see.

My gues after player wow in Cataclysm and looking at the server list WoW EU has around 600/800k players left.

128 servers excist atm

12/14 servers are full

20/30 are medium

and 70 are empty/death

Dunno how USA statistics are in servers, but i gues its almost the same situation.

So i can understand why Blizzard is taking GW2 on with alot of aggresion, they have alot to lose and a little to gain.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by observer
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    There's actually a surprising amount of good in this expansion, but WoW is getting old. There's no denying that. Still, it's a really excellent slew of content for its fans. I'll be checking it out.

New content for sure, but in my opinion, Blizzard went too far with this patch.  The revamped talents and skills was too radical.  You should write an article on that. :p

This week we'll be talking about why WoW should be F2P to 60 by now.  I'll save the talent and skill overhaul for a later date (the goods and bads).

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.