Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play Darkfall if it had WoW/Allod graphics and animations?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• xavurexavure Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I would retry, just out of curiosity. Also, it's not much WoW/Allods graphics, but more the way it feel control wise.
  • CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Graphics and animations weren't what drove me off. It was rampant hacks, lack of PvP purpose, and the if you weren'y one of the big two you couldn't even start a character with serial ganking even in town.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    the 'immersion' factor for a game is the single most important thing for me. Cartoon colors and styles distract me from that effect.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by CyclopsSlay
    Graphics and animations weren't what drove me off. It was rampant hacks, lack of PvP purpose, and the if you weren'y one of the big two you couldn't even start a character with serial ganking even in town.

/signed  the game was just a bunch of asshats killing me within 5 minutes of character creation. I really don't wanna be therapy for someone else's self-esteem issues.

I miiss UO, Reds and all...at least the guards kept the town safe and only the wilds were wild. It wasn't constant and there were consequences for being a douche, a la loss of town access. Kind of cool.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Animation nonwithstanding hardcore pvp games are niche.
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

what does the games graphics have to do with its enjoyment factor?? my understanding is people find the pvp lack luster and there is little reason to play the game after awhile do to the lack of actual pvp (that isnt a zerg fest or glitch fest)...

it could have 2d cell shaders wont change how the game play mechanics are :/ 

while im not a huge fan of pure pvp (i like actual reasoning for my pvp and the option to not pvp 24/7 aka safe to bank/craft items) from what i saw of DFo the graphics looked fine for what they wanted the game to do.. just the core mechanics made it sound boring :/... bunny hopping archers ect kinda made me disinterested in it

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Im not sure what your implying here.  Wow looks like a cartoon as well as Alloids.  So are you asking if Darkfall looked like a cartoon would you play it?  Or are you simply asking if Darkfalls graphics were on par with Wow somehow implying that wow looks better that it would be an improvement of some sort.  Are you referring to art style or overall graphic quality?

Your post really needs clarity.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by snapfusion

Im not sure what your implying here.  Wow looks like a cartoon as well as Alloids.  So are you asking if Darkfall looked like a cartoon would you play it?  Or are you simply asking if Darkfalls graphics were on par with Wow somehow implying that wow looks better that it would be an improvement of some sort.  Are you referring to art style or overall graphic quality?

Your post really needs clarity.

Yes thats what I am saying. Immersion of character animations is also very important. The Animations in WoW look far better than Darkfall's animations. the run animations look weird and dull. the melee animations, are nothing compared to WoW's animations.
    the magic animations also way better than Darkfall's animations for magic.

Gameplay may be different, but cant help but feel the graphics and animations actually took a step backwards from WoW, not forward.

AoC like graphics may be too much on a game like this, but thats why I say WoW/Allod is good enough minimum for a game like this.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Darkfall graphics are on par with WoW, but Darkfall is a far more meaningful game. THe reason I quit it was the skill grind, lack of balance, simple combat, and lack of metagame content. THeres is some metagame, but not enough.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I'd play Darkfall if it ran on my pc.  I don't know why it never worked... the graphics I saw in videos didn't bother me; maybe they're a little rough but they're more "realistic" and that's a nice change from the usual.
  • MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386
    I'd come back if I weren't always forced into 1st person view. Adding terrible graphics and animations like WoW/Allod would definitely keep me away even if they added the option to always use 3rd person view.
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by mCalvert

Darkfall graphics are on par with WoW, but Darkfall is a far more meaningful game. THe reason I quit it was the skill grind, lack of balance, simple combat, and lack of metagame content. THeres is some metagame, but not enough.

How is DF "meaningful"?

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by Zinzan

How is DF "meaningful"?

You own and have to defend property. When you die, people take your stuff. In order to have something, someone has to make it or loot it, and then sell it. You cant survive without playing with others. Diplomacy matters. You can own things that take many hours and days to get, and lose it all in an instant.

So, what an individual does in the game affects others. Whereas in themeparks, youre just another hero. And the world doesnt care if you live or die.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Zinzan

How is DF "meaningful"?

You own and have to defend property. When you die, people take your stuff. In order to have something, someone has to make it or loot it, and then sell it. You cant survive without playing with others. Diplomacy matters. You can own things that take many hours and days to get, and lose it all in an instant.

So, what an individual does in the game affects others. Whereas in themeparks, youre just another hero. And the world doesnt care if you live or die.

That's the coolest thing ever.  I hold some hope for a good sandbox game that will actually install on my PC.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Graphics never bothered me in Darkfall. While not the "best" it managed to create some sort of old school feeling in it, especially with it being a sandbox. 

The reason I quit had nothing to do with the graphics, so a change in them would never bring me back. I quit because:

Rampant hacks/exploits, especially in the early days of the game. 

• Killing for no reason, I get it's a sandbox game, but good luck getting new subscribers to stay when they are killed every time they walk outside. 
    • Exploiters never punished
    • AFK skill gainers never punished
    • Horrible communication with player base
    • Horribly slow updates/bug fixes/additions
    • Dev team seemed to have no solid idea of where they wanted to take the game in the future
    If they fixed these elements, I would deff try it out again. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    More so than the graphics. If it had tradition controls and 3rd person perspective.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

I personally cant stand wow/allods graphics so thats a no from me.

I do wish DFO combat/movements were more fluid and responsive and the UI a bit cleaner/more traditional.

When I quit Darkfall it was because of the exploiters and people running skill macroes. If they perform a character wipe for 2.0 I will return.

and BTW most dont gank you for no reason, theres a couple key items they take.. even from beginners.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    WoW Allods on Darkfall?  Yuck.  TERA maybe.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

"Would you play Darkfall if it had WoW/Allod graphics and animations?"

No. I don't play ANY cartoony graphics MMOs. Cartoons are for Nickalodeon and Cartoon TV channels, not for MMOs imho. It's WoW's worst characteristic and so too Allod's.

The reason I won't play Darkfall is probably the a similar reason that millions won't play Darkfall... I do not enjoy free for all PvP like that. That's the reason. Some people may find that sort of thing fun, but I don't. Never will.

There is nothing Darkfall could do to make it attractive to me as Player. Not even turn off the PvP flag will do it... because the Players that enjoy PvP will still be there at least for a short while and they will hate what has happened... and of course it will be MY FAULT it happened. No thanks.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269
    Nope.  Wouldn't play it regardless.   Adventurine moves at glacial development speed and I cannot stand it.  It just takes them too long to do anything with the damn game.  They don't communicate well with the players either.  I also did not care for the macroing and being able to skill everything.  This will apparently be changing in the fabled Darkfall 2.0, coming to you soon sometime in 2017!

• LegereLegere Member UncommonPosts: 123
    the game looks like shit
  • NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Nope. Let WoW keep that style. I didn't mind the graphics in DF as they were. The main reason I stopped playing it was my computer wasn't able to run it well.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

These are two different things so I had to vote no.

Wow has never had great graphics, even at release. They went for a stylized cartoony look  for their characters, with some of the worst looking trees I have ever seen.

However, WoW has great animations. The way the character smoothly run, jump and execute moves. The attention to detail, such as riding a horse looking natural. the way deers skitter away from a prowling wolf. 

I have really enjoyed LoTRo's graphics but characters run funny, it looks off. Same with many video games.

I played EQ2 and if I jumped and exicuted a moved the character would stop in mid air. In Wow playing a night elf, I could jump, do a flip and execute my attack and it looked seemless.

So, wow graphics, not so much. Wow animations sure.

(Plus, the stylized cartoony look, just would not go over well in the more realistic darkfall)

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    I would play darkfall if I had the time. Not a casual friendly game.
  • Atlan99Atlan99 Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Graphics and animations are excuses TBH. People use them when they don't want to talk about the real reasons they don't play a game.

For Darkfall it was the grind that was the biggest hurdle. This has been fixed finally.

I would say number 2 is the FPS controls and high skill level required to play the game. A good player can destroy multiple bad players fairly easily. Traditional mmo's have much lower skill gaps between veteran and noobs. For instance in a traditional mmo I can be good with less than a week's playtime. I can master a class in a month or less. You could play Darkfall for years before mastering it.

I would say the sandbox part of Darkfall is another big hurdle for most players. Players and alliances can be ruthless. Too many people whine about fair fights and fail to adapt in Darkfall. Whining about fair fights in war is probably as effective in Darkfall as it is IRL.