Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard goes F2P today!!! Whos coming back?

Comments

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    You have to make a pretty bland character to go over level 20. Kind of stupid. I'm already disappointed in this F2P model and I haven't even logged in yet.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Is it still ran by SOE?  Why yes, yes it is...so no, I will not be back - ever.   As long as it is an SOE game.
  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by Teala
    Is it still ran by SOE?  Why yes, yes it is...so no, I will not be back - ever.   As long as it is an SOE game.

But Brad is back too!

it's the good, the bad, and the ugly all at once!

you must partake!

moral imperative.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Not sure SOE is going to be losing any sleep over that decision.  

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48
    I don't like the SoE model. I want to pay for content - not for gear.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Rider071

But Brad is back too!

it's the good, the bad, and the ugly all at once!

you must partake!

moral imperative.

Brad McQuaid is back working on Vanguard?

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Probably not, then again I am sleeping well knowing that they are not getting any money from me ever again.   :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    I'm bored and missed out on this one when it was new. I'll give it a shop, but I hate being limited on content. 

You're probably not going to come across any real limitation until at least level 20-25. Considering that, though, if you enjoyed a game for 20 levels for free, ponying up 2 or 3 dollars to continue isn't really asking a lot.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by RebelScum99

Probably not, then again I am sleeping well knowing that they are not getting any money from me ever again.   :)

is this still leftover SWG hate?  I think SWTOR made it pretty obvious that that was mostly a LA decision.  LA wanted their star warsy wow clone and got it.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    I'm bored and missed out on this one when it was new. I'll give it a shop, but I hate being limited on content. 

You're probably not going to come across any real limitation until at least level 20-25. Considering that, though, if you enjoyed a game for 20 levels for free, ponying up 2 or 3 dollars to continue isn't really asking a lot.

more like level 51ish.  there is actually zero off limits content, but the 51-55 content might prove difficult in greens/crafted blues.  None of the other stuff will though.

Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

more like level 51ish.  there is actually zero off limits content, but the 51-55 content might prove difficult in greens/crafted blues.  None of the other stuff will though.

Agreed. I knew though that if I put 50, the replies would focus on the handful of race limits, so I decided to cover all bases. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by tarodin
    Originally posted by Toxia

DLing Vanguard now, hoping itll be worth a week of fun!

And guys, cmon, this thread is totally about vanguard, stop with the offtopic-ness so we can discuss THIS game

servers are down right now... :(

Did we break the servers?

Scheduled Server Downtime – Tuesday, August 14, 2012!

Posted On 08/13/2012

We will bring the Vanguard servers offline on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 at 8:00 a.m. PDT* (San Diego time) for a Hotfix to make a few improvements. The game servers will be unavailable for about 4 hours.

*Convert to your local time

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    It's pretty restrictive. Grouped with a couple of subbed people and went in a dungeon and could not wear any of the drops.   It will be uninstalled shortly  before GW2. 

Yeah my biggest concern was the gear restrictions.....IF they dont loosen that up some (and no uncommon gear isnt good enough) then the f2p will fail.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    It's pretty restrictive. Grouped with a couple of subbed people and went in a dungeon and could not wear any of the drops.   It will be uninstalled shortly  before GW2. 

You'll be done with all the content in GW2 and endless grinding the same zones and WvW events over and over and over long before anyone starting VG is even 1/3 way through the game.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265

What if by some miracle SOE produces and amazing game that is just so good everyone is buying it.  It is actually the wow killer.  Would you give SOE any money to play it?

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I'm going to continue to give the F2P a try and keep an open mind. If for no other reason to enjoy the Crafting and Diplomacy spheres of advancement. As for the Adventuring sphere, I'm not too thrilled with the gear limitation method, but I'll try it and see how it goes.

The best part of F2P is I can still bounce in whenever I wish, so being busy with other games is ok...it's not like my subscription is lapsing and going to waste if I'm not playing every day...

I hope the 9999ms lag spikes go away...heh (It's over 9000!!!)

Originally posted by Slukjan

What if by some miracle SOE produces and amazing game that is just so good everyone is buying it.  It is actually the wow killer.  Would you give SOE any money to play it?

No

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709
    Originally posted by snapfusion

You'll be done with all the content in GW2 and endless grinding the same zones and WvW events over and over and over long before anyone starting VG is even 1/3 way through the game.

lol i like this

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182
    I am intrigued, and will be installing tonight! I hope it works out...

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by Istavaan

why is wanting the best gear possible being immature?

making it a reason not to play is

Well vanguard is a gear threadmill mmo, attaining the best gear and items is pretty much the point of the game.

No. Perhaps it is your point of playing MMOs but saying that is the point of [any game] is just wrong.

What would you suggest as a difference from subscribing and free to play  players?

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• EverketEverket Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by dead2soon

I was thinking about trying this but that seals the deal for me. 

Could you please read up about the f2p before posting? I dont understand your motivation for posting without knowing anything about the model. Pay to wear gear? You make it sound like you have to pay to wear everything, which is simply not the truth.

And that goes for everything, why would you post opinions about the game, based on lies, things you make up in your mind, or how you think the model is? Why can't people just spend a min or two to read up about the game, before posting? Is that really not the BARE minimum required to post an opinion on something? Why in gods green earth would you write something based on nothing?

God why.

Originally posted by drakaena
    Originally posted by I_Return
    been back for a bit, Games I deleted are about a good many, and pretty much on Vanguard right now. The game is "Massive" in every sense of the word and still one of the best looking game worlds ever crafted.

The draw distance, trees, volumetric clouds and expansive world are indeed impressive. 

What is not is the control responsiveness and animations.  They are about as bad as anything that I have ever seen in a game.  You approach a mob and he starts meleeing you from 10 feet away.   You and the mobs run like your on a moving escalator, etc.  Pretty disappointing.

This is the exact reason I could never play VG.

@teakbois

Fair enough. But what you describe is essentially saying don't bother running any dungeons until end game. It's not so much about having the best gear as it is the thrill of obtaining an upgrade. Never knowing what may drop. Now people will just skip over lowbie and mid range dungeons because there's no point to it. So players should quest grind to max level? I thought VG prided itself on its wide array of content and players should enjoy the journey. Sounds like this F2P model is handicapping that experience.

How do you draw such a conclusion? That is pretty far fetched. Excuse me for meddling, but you shouldn't reply to people that way. Throwing such an accusation at people, just because that is what you think. What about asking if thats what he meant. But I don't know how you possibly could justify that conclusion. Stop asuming, and nobody cares if you don't like the game or not, but show some respect, and stop constructing opinions out of thin air.

Its pretty baffling to argue these points, the facts are so clear, yet people keep posthing uneducated drivel.

I'm probably not going to sub anytime soon, because playing every other day I just don't feel like I have to. And with the gear change that came today, my worries are mostly over, and I find the model to be decent. Not the best, but how people can say it soooo bad, its just, I don't really think people bother to do their research. And that is pretty sad and shows a lack of respect for yourself and everyone else who posts here.

But don't worry, as long as you uneducated people stay, I will be here writing the same over and over again.

Oh an that post about lotr vs eq2x is not up to date. And every soe game is different, they are similar, but different. I don't know why you would say otherwise. That I'm afraid to be blunt, is just dumb. Also posting something as 100% fact, then in your next post say oh its from 2010 so its ofc not entirely true today is just, wow. God why.

And for the record, I've just been playing vanguard a bit off and on for the last years, while I do like the game a lot, there are plenty of things I don't like. Not sure if I'm ever going to sub again, so I'm not exactly THE number 1 vanguard fan. But posts based on lies piss me off, and this new f2p relaunch of vanguards intrigues me. And by god I will combat uneducated crap and trolls alike.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I'll be playing tonight!
    Originally posted by elocke
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I hate Turbines model.  It's definitely worse for those that plan on spending nothing.  I can't do a quest...that's worse than wearing green gear by a long shot.

I suppose if you spend in cash shops the Turbine model may be slightly more acceptable but when I have to mob grind in a game with boring ass combat I'm done.

Then your problem isn't the F2P setup it's the combat.  I find earning Turbine points via the content available pretty fantastic.  SOE doesn't offer this at all.  You could conceivably buy new content off of the TPs you grind for, thereby never paying a dime.   Now whether that bores you is a matter of gameplay not the payment model.  What good is doing a quest if you can't wear the gear from it?  

Now that is something I'm a BIG fan of. And I wish Soe had that option. The majority MAY think its a bad idea, and chore and would never do it. But some don't, and some would do this. So it adds options, different ways of aquiring said itemcontent and what not.

Like in forsaken world, I did a few surveys on the Internet, and BAM I got in game cash, that I normally would have to spend real life money on. I think you can do those surveys for all Perfect world mmorpgs. I reckon most people won't do it, I could be wrong, but its a damn nice addition.

Oh doing quest is great, and most quests you do, yes you can equip the gear. Its for those few rare special quests that gives you yellow gear that you will have to unlock. But most quest gear, go ahead and equip np.