Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Darksiders II - Zelda Meets Death

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Occasionally, we like to touch base on big non-MMOs that we feel our readers would enjoy. Darksiders II  from THQ and Vigil Games is one of those titles. Sequel to the vastly under-appreciated Darksiders, DS2 is looking like a masterpiece of the Action/Adventure RPG, and we've spent the past few days combing its depths.

If you’ve not played Darksiders, the basic gist of the series is that in the gameplay format, it’s an homage to the 3D Legend of Zelda series from Nintendo. Few games can compare to the house of Mario’s flagship adventure series, but Darksiders and its sequel are coming pretty damned close. Imagine if you will, a game that combines the dungeon-crawling and puzzle solving of the Zelda series, the RPG and loot aspects of something like Diablo, and the combat of God of War. Doesn’t that sound like a dream come true?

Read the rest of Bill Murphy's Darksiders II: Zelda Meets Death.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• RoyalPhunkRoyalPhunk Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Yep graphics are fantastic I wish there was a little more free form climbing (anywhere anytime) but I am really enjoying it so far. Combat is also very enjoyable.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Nice write-up, Bill. I've been looking forward to this one after seeing my step-son playing the original. I borrowed it from him, but haven't had time to give it a go for myself.

And Joe Mad..........man, I'm a fan!

Oh yeah, in before the "why is this here" crowd.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    Nothin in rapport with ZELDA so please journalist STOP THIS !!!! there are 2 game different !

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    damn, for some reason I was thinking Nightstalkers, damn damn!
  • Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Loved Darksiders, the gameplay is fun, reasonably challenging, and the puzzles are awesome.  The story is pretty good as well.  Can't wait to dig into Darksiders II and ride that pale horse...
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    thanks for the tip, gonna check it out.
  • VermilioNomyVermilioNomy Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the read, I enjoyed Darksiders a lot. As you said it was amazingly underrated, it seems the PR on Darksiders 2 is far better than the first one. I'm glad to see this series gets some attention. Can't wait for Darksiders 2 to come out in Belgium.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Sounds like something that will hold me over until next week's GW2 launch. Do you need to play the first one in order to properly enjoy this or can I just jump in without getting confused by the references and the lore?

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    That graphic looks more like Lich King meets Shredder meets Zelda.
  • Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Originally posted by heartless
    Sounds like something that will hold me over until next week's GW2 launch. Do you need to play the first one in order to properly enjoy this or can I just jump in without getting confused by the references and the lore?

You don't HAVE to, but I would suspect it would make more sense lore wise and to the story as they are sequential.  Death is here, due to the events in part 1 with War, and it's ending.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Zen_Blade
    Originally posted by heartless

You don't HAVE to, but I would suspect it would make more sense lore wise and to the story as they are sequential.  Death is here, due to the events in part 1 with War, and it's ending.

I got ya. Thanks. I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to beat 2 games, maybe I'll just read a wiki somewhere if I get confused.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    the reason the first game was overlooked is cause it sucked and i am expecting the same from this game.  Botton line is if you take from prince of persia, zelda, and god of war, you should end up with something at least as good as one of those series and this doesn't......
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Yeah keep thinking this silly  "game" to be Zelda :)

• belerenbeleren Member Posts: 63
    Is Death similar to casey from TMNT?
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Don't play this POS game on PC, by far one of the worst console ports ever to disgrace my library.

* I don't normally get this mad at bad releases, but the audacity of THQ to release this game to the PC market in its current state is so bloody greedy. It's not the money ... its the fact that this type of shit still gets pushed.

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880

Most people that didnt like the first game complained about the controls and actually having to find stuff. Guess they shoulda put the game on rails like God of War and Dantes Inferno.

Loved the first one and cant wait for this.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Loved the 1st one, can't wait for this.

• AlegalatiAlegalati Member Posts: 1
    Gonna be great!
  • Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    I don't know how anyone could not have enjoyed the first game, but to each thier own. Looking forward to giving Darksiders II a try after I finish with Sleeping Dogs.

No signature, I don't have a pen

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Zelda brought me to this thread. I will say this. I am buying and downloading this game now, since you feel like assosciating it with Zelda. IF YOU HAVE SCORNED A LEGENDARY SERIES LIKE ZELDA BY SAYING WHAT YOU SAID BILL........I will find you. Believe me.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Zelda brought me to this thread. I will say this. I am buying and downloading this game now, since you feel like assosciating it with Zelda. IF YOU HAVE SCORNED A LEGENDARY SERIES LIKE ZELDA BY SAYING WHAT YOU SAID BILL.........I will find you. Believe me.

Ha! Trust me as a life-long lover of Hyrule and the Tri-force, I am not misleading you. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Zelda brought me to this thread. I will say this. I am buying and downloading this game now, since you feel like assosciating it with Zelda. IF YOU HAVE SCORNED A LEGENDARY SERIES LIKE ZELDA BY SAYING WHAT YOU SAID BILL.........I will find you. Believe me.

Ha! Trust me as a life-long lover of Hyrule and the Tri-force, I am not misleading you. :)

Ahem. Triforce. Three Pieces. One word.

EDIT: Also, I like seeing pieces on single player games as well. While I visit the forums for MMO's and Hardware ( I would do things to Quizzy in thanks for his advice...) , I read all of the pieces on other games as well, so thanks for above and beyond Bill/Staff!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Maybe, but how many castles will Death have to overcome?

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Damn, everyone must be on this, downloading at 200kb/s :/ 10 hours to play. jeez.

Anyways, you mentioned it being a 4 part game, but on the official website, it says something along the lines of ' Witness the epic CONCLUSION'....So i wonder if this is the last then?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Hmm. If so, things have changed, likely in part to THQ's woes. But the intention was to make a game for each horseman, and one of them (Fury) is a horseWOman.

Here's hoping it sells a ton of boxes and gets the other two. I've not finished it yet, so not sure how it ends.

Here you go: http:/www.joystiq.com/2012/07/26/vigil-darksiders-3-depends-on-darksiders-2-sales-could-be-smal/

My Review Manifesto