Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: F2P Version Officially Launches

Comments

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126
    PS. I'd wait a few more days before trying to play, unless you start in a real racial area. The Island of Dawn is seriously lagtastic and unstable. Khal (one of the main cities) has been unstable for a couple weeks now (and you lose combines if the chunk crashes mid-craft).

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I really liked Vanguard, left when they announced they wouldn't support PvP anymore, and the server died from people leaving and getting ready for AoC...Hated to have a part of the game taken away, when they closed it and were making people transfer to PvE.

I may load it back up, never did the trial island though.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    I'm gonna jump in ;o I never got to play it and would like to add it to the resume. Hopefully it doesn't end up in the 'games I got bored of quickly' pile like everything else SoE has ever done.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    I watched the trailer and the game just looked too old for me.
  • KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by William12
    Maybe when you lack content like GW2 does :)  Vanguard is HUGE easily 30 dungeons in the game between level 8 and 55 maybe more.   

GW2 has 8 dungeons with 3 different paths you can take, so its really 24 at launch and the promis of much more to come.

Paths? Where we're going, we don't need paths!  

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

I was thinking of trying this game again untill I read the limitations  the FTP model is just to restricting ..

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    If this was back in 2007 I might care, not anymore sadly.
    I like to complain about games.
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    at least now i know what to play until 28th of August...

So What Now?

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Tried it out again, and its kind of boring. Standard kill 10 rats adventuring, slow repetitive combat, unncesarily complex crafting, bad graphics. BAck to waiting for GW2 and PS2.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Vanguard is still worth 15 a month , the reason why gw1 was free because it was NOT a mmo more like a single player online game with some co op and it was Terrible and ddo was borderline mmo it went free to play because it bombed so hard. I know gw2 is like night and day better than most mmorpgs out and it beats the snot outta gw1 , I can't wait , but saying paying 15 a month for vanguard when you get the game for free and you have tons and tons of content is just a stupid comment. I myself stopped playing vanguard because the dev team left or are working with a skeleton crew, but the second they add a expac I am back . You simply cannot justify the game based on 15 a month, hell I would be ok paying 20-30 a month if it weeded out all these little kids.
    Just curious would you guys be saying how wonderful gw2 is if it ran you box price +sub+ cash shop? I don't think so, you guys are cheap :p lol
  • FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081
    SoE F2P is not free enough. Unless they move to a model like GW2 I wont try it. 15 bucks a month for all content is still a rip off in today market. 

Guildwars 2 was developed around the idea of milking the players for content each year with an expansion (most likely yearly now since they have a cash-shop to support them between each expansion).

I agree that games that already have cash-shops should use GW2's model, but a FLAT rate of $15/month without a cash-shop is still far superior.

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

I also do not believe gw2 will be a niche game , I know afew people who hate fantasy games but all have said how awesome gw2 looks and plays, as one person put it , " easy to get into , and open world to explore" so yeah niche game nah.
  • MrJones77MrJones77 Member Posts: 17
    This is good news. I have always wanted to go back to visit Telon.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by ozerinx
    SoE F2P is not free enough. Unless they move to a model like GW2 I wont try it. 15 bucks a month for all content is still a rip off in today market. 

Maybe when you lack content like GW2 does :)  Vanguard is HUGE easily 30 dungeons in the game between level 8 and 55 maybe more.   Vanguard was truly the last MMO made that tried to make an epic world of this scale rift, swtor, gw2, tsw, tera all of them lack even a fraction of the size vanguard had at launch.   

Also the F2P isn't very restrictive you can wear almost all blue items and any quest reward you get.   If you decide to sub its only 7.50 a month if you pay yearly which is the best option in my opinion or its 14.99 a year if you get station access and have access to all SOE games.  Also with any sub you get 500 station cash free per month.

GW2 has 8 dungeons with 3 different paths you can take, so its really 24 at launch and the promis of much more to come. I am not worried about a lack of content. I only play 1 MMO at a time so 15 bucks a month is still a rip off. If it was a flat fee of 4-7 bucks a month I would jump at playing Vanguard as I love the world and the classes but I refuse to play 15 bucks a month and I wont shell out for a year for any MMO, even one I am enjoying curently. To many quality MMOs coming out that have a much more appealing price point. GW2, NWN. People using a game like GW2 with a cash shop spend on average about 4-7 bucks a month. For me thats a fair price.

You obviously don't go out a lot. Going out to eat for dinner cost around 10$. A movie is 10$. A cup of starbucks is 5$... 4-7$ a month a month can beg for more money in 1 hour than that. 

Its called market value, I make a cup of coffee at home for $0.20 but I am willing to goto a coffee shop for 2 bucks. I could afford 5-10 bucks for a cup of coffee every day but I am not willing to pay it. Why? Because I can get value for my money for 2-5 bucks at the local coffee shop. DDO and GW1 has proved they can make lots of money and make enough content to make customers happy with a average of 4-7 bucks a month from customers.

I have been playing GW2 and its as quality as an MMO can get. I am having bucks of fun in PvE and WvW. So why would I jump ship to play an older game and pay more? Market value of Vanguard is F2P but not as SoE has it set up. Make it really free to play or charge 4-6 bucks a month.

GW2 doesn't need anymore hype and free advertisement. You and other Fans have done enough.

This thread is about Vanguard F2P. If you aren't interested than fine, but you do not need to turn this thread on it's ear and make all about GW2.

As for what I think about VG going f2p... maybe it's a good thing. Time will tell. The only reason I do not play it... the only reason... is because of who owns Vanguard. I will not do business with SOE. They did not handle last year's Data Thefts well imo and other issues in the past.

Now if Vanguard wasn't owned by SOE than I would be all over it. VG has a lot of features and even if it's an older game it was and is a good one for those that appreciate a full feature style of MMORPG.

I guess that's Vanguard's defining quality imo... it's an actual MMORPG. Few "mmos" can claim that now.

Good Luck Vanguard:Saga of Heros.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Maybe when you lack content like GW2 does :)  Vanguard is HUGE easily 30 dungeons in the game between level 8 and 55 maybe more.   Vanguard was truly the last MMO made that tried to make an epic world of this scale rift, swtor, gw2, tsw, tera all of them lack even a fraction of the size vanguard had at launch.   

Also the F2P isn't very restrictive you can wear almost all blue items and any quest reward you get.   If you decide to sub its only 7.50 a month if you pay yearly which is the best option in my opinion or its 14.99 a year if you get station access and have access to all SOE games.  Also with any sub you get 500 station cash free per month.

GW2 has 8 dungeons with 3 different paths you can take, so its really 24 at launch and the promis of much more to come. I am not worried about a lack of content. I only play 1 MMO at a time so 15 bucks a month is still a rip off. If it was a flat fee of 4-7 bucks a month I would jump at playing Vanguard as I love the world and the classes but I refuse to play 15 bucks a month and I wont shell out for a year for any MMO, even one I am enjoying curently. To many quality MMOs coming out that have a much more appealing price point. GW2, NWN. People using a game like GW2 with a cash shop spend on average about 4-7 bucks a month. For me thats a fair price.

You obviously don't go out a lot. Going out to eat for dinner cost around 10$. A movie is 10$. A cup of starbucks is 5$... 4-7$ a month a month can beg for more money in 1 hour than that. 

I've always wondered about that.  I really don't get this hatred of a subscription model.  I honestly can't think of any form of entertainment that is that cheap.  Even if you compare it to single player games.  You pay $60 for even something like skyrim and if you do everything you'll get 100 hours of play out of it.  Thats on the good side for value.  You pay $60 for some of these other games like Mass Effect and its 12-20 hours of play.  An mmo, $60 is 4 months, you can easily log 200+ hours of fun in that amount of time.

$15 is peanuts to me, and im in the lowest tax bracket.  So the only conclusion i can come up with is either A. People are cheapasses, B. People are fucking insane, or C. People are unemployed.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I would play the game but I will never play Sony FTP games because they have the worst FTP model of any company. They are free to try but if you want to really play the mmo you have to sub for $15 a month and that I will not do. The only way I see my self paying $15 sub fee again is if a mmo comes out that is really unique and different then whats out there.
  • tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Count me in! MMORPG's aren't like this anymore! :D
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Its called market value, I make a cup of coffee at home for $0.20 but I am willing to goto a coffee shop for 2 bucks. I could afford 5-10 bucks for a cup of coffee every day but I am not willing to pay it. Why? Because I can get value for my money for 2-5 bucks at the local coffee shop. DDO and GW1 has proved they can make lots of money and make enough content to make customers happy with a average of 4-7 bucks a month from customers.

I have been playing GW2 and its as quality as an MMO can get. I am having bucks of fun in PvE and WvW. So why would I jump ship to play an older game and pay more? Market value of Vanguard is F2P but not as SoE has it set up. Make it really free to play or charge 4-6 bucks a month.

GW2 doesn't need anymore hype and free advertisement. You and other Fans have done enough.

This thread is about Vanguard F2P. If you aren't interested than fine, but you do not need to turn this thread on it's ear and make all about GW2.

As for what I think about VG going f2p... maybe it's a good thing. Time will tell. The only reason I do not play it... the only reason... is because of who owns Vanguard. I will not do business with SOE. They did not handle last year's Data Thefts well imo and other issues in the past.

Now if Vanguard wasn't owned by SOE than I would be all over it. VG has a lot of features and even if it's an older game it was and is a good one for those that appreciate a full feature style of MMORPG.

I guess that's Vanguard's defining quality imo... it's an actual MMORPG. Few "mmos" can claim that now.

Yah because blizzard handled it better ?   If that is your reason for nothing doing business with SOE you might as well quit using a CC every company can or has been hacked.  Blizzard hasn't been secure in years its why you can make a new email and new account and get hacked in a week despite never using that email for anything else.   I've had EQ accounts for 13 years and never once have I been hacked had a wow one for a month and got hacked.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

Yah because blizzard handled it better ?   If that is your reason for nothing doing business with SOE you might as well quit using a CC every company can or has been hacked.  Blizzard hasn't been secure in years its why you can make a new email and new account and get hacked in a week despite never using that email for anything else.   I've had EQ accounts for 13 years and never once have I been hacked had a wow one for a month and got hacked.

That says more about the popularity and demand for wow related things over eq than security for either game.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Meh, 50 cents a day is not a  ripoff. Don't drink a Mountain Dew or skip a candy bar. If you start subbing several games at one time like that guy with 40 WoW accounts multiboxing,  then I can see it being a problem! :) 

Vanguard is a true mmorpg in my mind. It is clunky, but it has some superior features that not even EQ2 has. Now, if they can shake the blankets and get rid of some of the bugs it has a chance! Yay!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

If you don't read anything in this thread read this :)  Vanguard is not for you if

1. You wanna solo end game content

2. You want 1 button crafting.

3. You want things given to you without earning them.

4. You enjoy soloing over grouping.

5. You like theme park rail driven content and your hand held from 1 to max level (rift, gw2, etc)

6. I can keep going but this list is enough.

Vanguard IS for you if

1. You like massive dungeons from start to finish just google vanguard dungeons and count them all.

2. You like the social grouping aspect of MMOs.

3. You like complex crafting.

4. You like to explore and find new areas that barely anyone has ever been to.

5. You like housing.

6. You like a challenge and like to accomplish things in a group setting with friends or strangers.

7. NON instanced content from start to finish the world is open you see it you can go there.  The dungeons are part of the world they're not instanced.

If Vanguard is for you great play it and love it if not play something else and most of all have fun.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

If you don't read anything in this thread read this :)  Vanguard is not for you if

5. You like theme park rail driven content and your hand held from 1 to max level (rift, gw2, etc)

Vanguard IS for you if

1. You like massive dungeons from start to finish just google vanguard dungeons and count them all.

5. You like housing.

6. You like a challenge and like to accomplish things in a group setting with friends or strangers.

7. NON instanced content from start to finish the world is open you see it you can go there.  The dungeons are part of the world they're not instanced.

If Vanguard is for you great play it and love it if not play something else and most of all have fun.

Sorry but both lists are inaccurate.

Cash shop allows you to get things without "earning" them.

Its very much on rails with rifts that direct you from quest hub to quest hub.

Most classes can solo just fine to 50.

Most the vg dungeons are far from "massive".

Housing is currently off limits for ftli players.

The challenge is no greater than eq1,eq2,wow,etc.

Originally posted by finnmacool1

Vanguard IS for you if

5. You like housing.

Sorry but both lists are inaccurate.

Cash shop allows you to get things without "earning" them.

Its very much on rails with rifts that direct you from quest hub to quest hub.

Most classes can solo just fine to 50.

Most the vg dungeons are far from "massive".

Housing is currently off limits for ftli players.

The challenge is no greater than eq1,eq2,wow,etc.

if you think VG even comes close to the on rails system rift has you never played either game.  Also there are massive dungeons no one ever said everyone of them was massive.  You have obviously never seen the cash shop if you think it has even decent items to buy.  Most classes can solo to 50 given time sure but level cap is 55 again showing you havent played the game.  You obviously havent played EQ1 2 or WOW in recent years all 3 are insanlely easy mode.  Vanguard is more EQ classic hard if you don't know what that means please move along.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Mannish
    I would play the game but I will never play Sony FTP games because they have the worst FTP model of any company. They are free to try but if you want to really play the mmo you have to sub for $15 a month and that I will not do. The only way I see my self paying $15 sub fee again is if a mmo comes out that is really unique and different then whats out there.

Said what the hell and downloaded the game and started playing. So far very impressed with the game. It is unique and different than whats out there so it might get my $15 sub.