Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard goes F2P today!!! Whos coming back?

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I hate Turbines model.  It's definitely worse for those that plan on spending nothing.  I can't do a quest...that's worse than wearing green gear by a long shot.

I suppose if you spend in cash shops the Turbine model may be slightly more acceptable but when I have to mob grind in a game with boring ass combat I'm done.

Then your problem isn't the F2P setup it's the combat.  I find earning Turbine points via the content available pretty fantastic.  SOE doesn't offer this at all.  You could conceivably buy new content off of the TPs you grind for, thereby never paying a dime.   Now whether that bores you is a matter of gameplay not the payment model.  What good is doing a quest if you can't wear the gear from it?  

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

Haters ganna hate reguardless. It could be the best freemium method out and the soe haters will still hate it. Hell VG could be 100% f2p and they would still find something to bitch about. To those that dont feel its worth it to play VG under the f2p matix, i say good riddance.

The only reason im not subbing to the game is population. IF that comes back i will not need to worry about micro transaction becasue ill resub.

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709
    Originally posted by smokedogg311
    This was one older title i was looking into playing but after the looking at the f2p model i dont really see myself ever playing this. I've heard great things about this game in the past but im afraid with the model they have now it is doomed to not get any where near the popularity if could of had.

So playing it for free will hurt you how? Wount even try it for FREE? You really cant please some people can you.

Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by Kost

I hate Turbines model.  It's definitely worse for those that plan on spending nothing.  I can't do a quest...that's worse than wearing green gear by a long shot.

I suppose if you spend in cash shops the Turbine model may be slightly more acceptable but when I have to mob grind in a game with boring ass combat I'm done.

With the Turbine model you could easily earn the points through ingame play and buy that quest, not an option with SOE.

SOE offers no alternatives other than spending cash if you want restrictions lifted. Turbine allows you to remove any restriction using points than can be entirely earned through play.

I can't believe anyone is foolish enough to think SOE is the better deal, it's so obvious it isn't that anyone who thinks otherwise really needs to have there head examined.

earning points in turbine games isnt exactly fun though.  yeah, its an option but its also infinitely more efficient to go work a minimum wage job for a couple hours.  probably more fun too.  There is just too many different zone packs and expansion packs for LOTRO.  Through normal play you wont have enough points to unlock Moria, let alone the quest packs along the way to get you there.

Hmm...pay a one time fee to unlcok content once my character gets to that level, and discounted because I've been earning TPs on my way to that level or pay for gear unlocks per character for every piece of gear I get that's an upgrade...hmm, I'll take Turbine's way any day.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by kantseeme

Haters ganna hate reguardless. It could be the best freemium method out and the soe haters will still hate it. Hell VG could be 100% f2p and they would still find something to bitch about. To those that dont feel its worth it to play VG under the f2p matix, i say good riddance.

The only reason im not subbing to the game is population. IF that comes back i will not need to worry about micro transaction becasue ill resub.

Personally I hate EA.

SOE is just a really pretty stripper that abuses me to no end, and yet I come by and give her money every so often cause I want to believe she loves me.

• GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I won't be coming back. I might be getting old or have bad memory but when VG first came out I remeber it looking better then it does now, and I tohught you add more options when rolling a character. I think if I was going to go back to any older game it would be Dark Age Of Camelot, even though it is not free to play. 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I came, I saw, I fell under the world and had 9999 ping, I left.
    Originally posted by Fangrim
    Originally posted by elocke

I played a few days again last week and just felt too restricted.  Sorry, I prefer the Turbine way handling F2P.  Would rather pay for content than every gear piece I come across because I can pay for the content when I get to it and then it's permanently unlocked on my account from then on out.  With the gear issue, it feels like you are getting your hand slapped everytime you get a new item you want to wear, making it unrewarding and not worth the effort of even playing.

Besides, GW2 in 2 weeks and NO other game will enter my mind for months.  

Looking at the list of games you have played saying no other game will enter your mind for 'months' is highly optimistic.I would change it to minutes.

Thanks for assuming.  I good portion of those games on that list are there as a personal list of games I have played or thought weren't worth trying.  Since the game list here is so large I just put "played" to mark which ones for myself so I don't waste time in the future replaying a game I already played or trying one I know I won't like.  Like, half of the top down or 8 bit graphic ones I know I will never enjoy, so I put them as "played".  So, go assume elsewhere.  If I could make the game list private, I would, to get rid of assumptions like yours.

Originally posted by Rider071

Heres a repost of a post I made in 2010 about EQ2X vs LOTRO's model, educate yourself (all of these examples apply directly to Vanguard as well):

(1) LOTRO gives you access to 7 classes as a free player (Burglar, Captain, Champion, Minstrel, Hunter, Guardian and Lore-Master), there are only 9 classes in the game and the two they do not give free players are expansion content and always have been.

EQ2 has 24 classes, and they give you access to 8 for free. As a free player you get access to one third of the games classes for free, where as LOTRO gives free players access to every single (non-expansion) class for absolutely free.

(2) LOTRO only has 4 races, they give free players access to every race they have in the game for free immediately.

EQ2X has 19 available races, and they give you access to four for free. Forcing you to pay for nearly every race in the game.

(3) In LOTRO you can access ALL non expansion zones regardless of subscription level, it is the quest packs you need to pay for, and unlike EQ2X you can easily earn enough TP through ingame play to purchase the needed packs to unlock the content you desire.

(4) In LOTRO I can purchase a one month subscription, and retain everything I earned while VIP when my account reverts from VIP to Premium.

EQ2X locks any features you don't have access to if you subscribe and then revert back to a Bronze or Silver level. Forcing you to pay in order to regain access to those features, which is especially frustrating if you happen to have created characters while you were Gold or better that are not among the classes available at Bronze or Silver. Locked characters are pretty useless, no?

(5) EQ2X restricts a free players access to chat heavily. LOTRO does not.

(6) EQ2X restricts spell tiers. Which, despite what you claim, is very much a needed upgrade at endgame. No guilds intent on doing endgame content will take players with expert level spells, this is common knowledge, you are expected to have masters by 90 and this is no exception on 2X.

LOTRO does not restrict a free players access to class abilities or spells in any way.

(7) EQ2X restricts you from wearing any gear better than Mastercrafted as a free player. Again, hindering you seriously if you ever plan to use that character at endgame for anything other than questing or running content you outlevel.

LOTRO does not restrict a free players access to gear in any way.

SOEs devs have openly admited that the whole point of the payment model on 2X is to encourage freemium players to pay for subs, which (ironicly, and in typical SOE fashion) gives you access to LESS on EQ2X for the exact same price as a Live EQ2 sub which gives you everything the game has to offer.

I fail to see how EQ2X is the better deal in any way, shape or form. There is more than enough contrary evidence to prove otherwise. The restrictions LOTRO places on a free players are lax at best, and the fact that a free player can earn the TP ingame through free play to buy the needed packs for advancement is also a massive benefit over EQ2X.

What about numbers though?

EQ2X charges you 10 dollars for a guild charter. LOTRO does not charge anything for a kinship charter.

In EQ2X, what if I wanted to purchase the classes and races they don't offer me access to as a free player? Lets check out races first, shall we?

There are five race packs purchaseable in EQ2X (DE/Troll/Sarnak, Dwarf/Fae/HE, Gnome/Halfling/WE, Iksar/Ogre/Ratonga and Kerran/Froglok/Arasai). Each of these packs costs 750 Station Cash, equal to $7.50.

It would cost me $37.50 just to gain access to all of the games races.

Classes?

Well, individual classes (thats right, no "class packs" like races, you pay per single class) are also 750 Station Cash per class. With 16 available classes that are not accessable for free, you're looking at a whopping $120 just to purchase the classes.

So, if a new player wanted access to all classes and races (and wanted to start a guild), it would cost him or her an initial investment of $167.50 to be able to achieve that goal, or be forced into a sub where you will lose your content once it lapses.

What about LOTRO though?

Lets pretend that a free player wanted to buy those quests packs needed for 20-50 instead of earning the TP ingame, it would cost him or her a grand total of 17 dollars (and some change) to gain permanent access to the needed packs for progressing through the 20-50 range. This is the only purchase that would be required, and the users account would immediately be upgraded from Free to Premium just for making a purchase.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Your entire post is wrong, doesn't even apply correctly to EQ2 (since x is gone). Each game that is F2P for SOE has it's own unique matrix. They are all Freemiums, but they are all different, including Vanguard's. None of the above applies to anything SOE offers currently.

Umm...yes it does.  I've stopped playing EQ2 because of it's restrictions and these are THOSE.  Currently still have it on the PC too and I don't see where it's changed or stopped doing this.

elocke, where is your sig!?!?!?
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Hmm...pay a one time fee to unlcok content once my character gets to that level, and discounted because I've been earning TPs on my way to that level or pay for gear unlocks per character for every piece of gear I get that's an upgrade...hmm, I'll take Turbine's way any day.

Except Turbine's way you have to pay as you level, SoE you dont.  I couldnt care less about max level because frankly if you like a game enough to play at max level but are unwilling to sub then you just want something for nothing.  

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128

sorry my english... i try to do the best i can

Vanguard is not an easy game like WoW or many actual games, but is not hardcore as first years of EQ1.

It's easy to have fun inside doing adventure, craft or diplomacy... leveling is not a must because game is full of interesting things to do while leveling.

World is huge, big open terrain and you can travel world wide if you want.

Each class is a world...

Attribute points make this game a rpg.

Adventure, craft and diplomacy quests are very interesting and many of them are chain quest with interesenting rewards in each step that encourages to keep on playing and no sleep.

I like vanguard because i loved EQ and WoW until WotLK, and this game is between this 2 games.

In game play??  What am I going to do to earn those points?  Mob grind for a month? 

No, there is plenty to do, and you'll have enough points by 20 just from playing to buy your first quest pack and continue on without a hitch.

I refer you to my above post, numbers don't lie.

But then after that first quest pack you are stuck with deleting a character and rerolling to regrind all those slayer deeds to unlock the next one.

Why would you delete the character?  Are you just anti Lotro and trying to make it look bad with lies or just uninformed on purpose?

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    I'm bored and missed out on this one when it was new. I'll give it a shop, but I hate being limited on content. 

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

Edit:  I think SoE should open all blue items to F2P players.  So this is obviously not a great F2P set up either.

they did open up blues

Oh some were locked on my toon last week.  Good to hear.

Im actually not sure of this now, they unlocked crafting blues, not sure about other stuff.  A lot of the dungeons got an itemization pass so i would imagne they contain a mix of f2p and sub gear.

The other thing they did is that if you are subbed, and let your sub lapse all your equipped gear will still be valid provided you dont unequip it. 

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

DLing Vanguard now, hoping itll be worth a week of fun!

And guys, cmon, this thread is totally about vanguard, stop with the offtopic-ness so we can discuss THIS game

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

sorry, i wrote it twice

elocke, where is your sig!?!?!?

It went the way of the Dodo, can't seem to find it again.  I need a new one. 

Originally posted by Toxia

And guys, cmon, this thread is totally about vanguard, stop with the offtopic-ness so we can discuss THIS game

servers are down right now... :(

Heres a repost of a post I made in 2010 about EQ2X vs LOTRO's model, educate yourself (all of these examples apply directly to Vanguard as well):

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Your entire post is wrong, doesn't even apply correctly to EQ2

Umm...yes it does.  I've stopped playing EQ2 because of it's restrictions and these are THOSE.  Currently still have it on the PC too and I don't see where it's changed or stopped doing this.

EQ2 has unlockers for every 'lock' you face in the game. It's the only Freemium that doesn't force you into a sub, but it still has to make money. Well I did forget to mention DDO, which is actually a decent Freemium as well, not owned by WB, so it still has a soul.

In short the restrictions of EQ2 are brought down easily with a few dollars here and there, whereas other SOE games you actually have to sub in order to enjoy the full game. Sounds like Vanguard is hopefully going the EQ2 route.

In game play??  What am I going to do to earn those points?  Mob grind for a month? 

No, there is plenty to do, and you'll have enough points by 20 just from playing to buy your first quest pack and continue on without a hitch.

I refer you to my above post, numbers don't lie.

But then after that first quest pack you are stuck with deleting a character and rerolling to regrind all those slayer deeds to unlock the next one.

Why would you delete the character?  Are you just anti Lotro and trying to make it look bad with lies or just uninformed on purpose?

Nah, I have a lotro sub actually.  But when i tried the f2p it was limitied to 2 characters so if you wanted to grind TP you had to use one of your slots to constantly reroll.  theoretically you could keep grinding higher and higher slayer deeds, but the numbers on those things escalate like crazy.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Originally posted by tarodin

servers are down right now... :(

Did we break the servers?

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    Not bad it had to go free to play but the graphics are a little meh for 2012

This thread is about the f2p conversion so its not exactly off topic.

Every thread about an SoE game here kind of ends up the same though.  People love to hate on SoE (this site really got its big push as a site for disgruntled swg vets so its even more exaggerated here) but in reality their f2p model, while obviously not for everyone and we would all do some things differently, is fine.  If it wasnt they wouldnt be rolling it out again.  

There are things to legitimately bash SoE for (#1 is their disorganization amongst the higher ups which almost definitely goes much higher than smedley and a byproduct of Sony itself, #2 on the list is their poor optimization accross all their games, #3 is smokejumper's handling of EQ2) but their f2p model really isnt one of them.

Originally posted by reignjuste
    Not bad it had to go free to play but the graphics are a little meh for 2012

The character models and animations really are poor.  But the game world itself still looks pretty good IMO, though I probably just find it more aesthteically pleasing because it seems far more like a real world would look then the normal 'zone packed full of content' structure that most games use.  Play VG for a few hours and tell me Rift doesnt feel claustrophobic