Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard goes F2P today!!! Whos coming back?

Comments

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by Istavaan

why is wanting the best gear possible being immature?

making it a reason not to play is

Well vanguard is a gear threadmill mmo, attaining the best gear and items is pretty much the point of the game.

no, it isnt

The point of the game is to explore the world of Telon.  Thats the design of Vanguard.

Maybe it is for you but most people raid for better loot in vanguard at level cap. You also can't craft the best items in the f2p version.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by drakaena
    Originally posted by Badaboom

The draw distance, trees, volumetric clouds and expansive world are indeed impressive. 

What is not is the control responsiveness and animations.  They are about as bad as anything that I have ever seen in a game.  You approach a mob and he starts meleeing you from 10 feet away.   You and the mobs run like your on a moving escalator, etc.  Pretty disappointing.

This is the exact reason I could never play VG.

@teakbois

Fair enough. But what you describe is essentially saying don't bother running any dungeons until end game. It's not so much about having the best gear as it is the thrill of obtaining an upgrade. Never knowing what may drop. Now people will just skip over lowbie and mid range dungeons because there's no point to it. 

agreed on the technical aspects of VG.  It has major issues for sure.

as for the dungeon thing, there was a team when people crawled dungeons for the sake of exploration.  VG is made for that crowd.  And if there is a particularly awesome drop you want, its cheap to equip it anyway.  Its not that you CANT wear it.  

Maybe it is for you but most people raid for better loot in vanguard at level cap. You also can't craft the best items in the f2p version.

level cap is a long way off though.  If you like the game enough to invest a few months to get to the level cap but are too cheap to pay a couple bucks a month to upgrade your gear you really have no right to complain anyway.

Vanguard is NOT a race to the level cap to raid game.  If thats the style of game you want, wouldnt you be better off in Rift?

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I played a few days again last week and just felt too restricted.  Sorry, I prefer the Turbine way handling F2P.  Would rather pay for content than every gear piece I come across because I can pay for the content when I get to it and then it's permanently unlocked on my account from then on out.  With the gear issue, it feels like you are getting your hand slapped everytime you get a new item you want to wear, making it unrewarding and not worth the effort of even playing.

Besides, GW2 in 2 weeks and NO other game will enter my mind for months.  

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

level cap is a long way off though.  If you like the game enough to invest a few months to get to the level cap but are too cheap to pay a couple bucks a month to upgrade your gear you really have no right to complain anyway.

Vanguard is NOT a race to the level cap to raid game.  If thats the style of game you want, wouldnt you be better off in Rift?

I played vanguard up to a few months ago so don't go telling me where i would be better off.I said nothing about racing to end game i said vaguards end game is progression raiding or crafting. once you play for awhile the exploration novelty wears off.

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I played it for a couple of hours last week when it first went F2P.  It was quite buggy.  Everything from fish spinning like a wheel to people not being able to get off the starter island.  Lag was doing the rubber band thing often.  The worst for me was the "attack the mob that dosen't attack back lag,only to catch up 30 seconds later to your dead body. "  I uninstalled it, but with the intentions to try it out this coming weekend after bugs get worked out.
  • BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    I'm back and having fun. Sure, the game is dated in certain ways but in its genre it's reallya gem. There's just so much content and the world so immense that even a sanbox fan like myself can look beyond the tab target combat and annoying amount of generic questing.

Crafting is deep, diplomacy is a great minigame, and exploring never gets old - VG is a prime example of how the art of level design really make a game shine. I can't think of any game world that feels as "real" as VGs.

Also, the game is built around group play and slow-paced leveling, rather than the "solo rush to endgame asap"-mentality that modern MMOs seem to cater to. There are pretty harsh death penalties, which I like.

And yeah, housing and boats = win!
  • thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Dont like Sony's idea of F2P when what they actually mean is give us £10 a month just to not be gimped and even then its not the same as a bloody sub was.   I like to buy xp pots and such like I dont like to have to pay just to get x spell or use x item.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I hate Turbines model.  It's definitely worse for those that plan on spending nothing.  I can't do a quest...that's worse than wearing green gear by a long shot.

I suppose if you spend in cash shops the Turbine model may be slightly more acceptable but when I have to mob grind in a game with boring ass combat I'm done.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

You know something has gone fairly wrong when a game goes f2p and the only of knows about it are the people who subbed for the game before. :S I would've have known if this thread doesn't pop up 

Does SOE hate Vanguard or something

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    It's pretty restrictive. Grouped with a couple of subbed people and went in a dungeon and could not wear any of the drops.   It will be uninstalled shortly  before GW2. 

I was thinking about trying this but that seals the deal for me. 

• kulhatkulhat Member Posts: 36

I might continue playing since it feels like a really deep game IF they manage to fix all the glitches and errors and rubberbanding and massive minute long lag spikes and crashes at every turn... I could go on and on.

As of now it is barely playable and certainly not worth any cash.

I'm afraid it will be shortlives though with this RF2P.

Good thing that GW2 is so close then :)

• VermilioNomyVermilioNomy Member Posts: 32

Seeing the "Vanguard-going-F2P" hype about this game I thought it might be a good idea to try it out... but then oh dear, I have to pay(a small amount but I have to pay nonetheless) for being able to just wear gear? I mean that's just ridiculous in my eyes.

It's the first time for me to see such a restricted F2P strategy, I can understand a lot of limitations, but being obligated to pay for wearing gear isn't my kind of thing and apparently several other people have the same issue. Either way, looks like a cool came, but the F2P policy could receive several adjustments.

Originally posted by xKingdomx

You know something has gone fairly wrong when a game goes f2p and the only of knows about it are the people who subbed for the game before. :S I would've have known if this thread doesn't pop up 

Does SOE hate Vanguard or something

SoE hates advertising, period.  An article just sprang up on this site.

However MMORPG.com has an obvious anti-SoE bias (when was the last time you saw EQ or EQ2 in that list of games on the front page that are f2p or have free trials) so SoE clearly does not spend money here.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I hate Turbines model.  It's definitely worse for those that plan on spending nothing.  I can't do a quest...that's worse than wearing green gear by a long shot.

I suppose if you spend in cash shops the Turbine model may be slightly more acceptable but when I have to mob grind in a game with boring ass combat I'm done.

With the Turbine model you could easily earn the points through ingame play and buy that quest, not an option with SOE.

SOE offers no alternatives other than spending cash if you want restrictions lifted. Turbine allows you to remove any restriction using points than can be entirely earned through play.

Sub for one month of LOTRO, you retain all unlocks gained during that period.

Sub for one month of gold in EQ2X or an SOE F2P title, you get to watch them lock all your content (including the classes you had been playing that are not included with Bronze) once your sub is up. You retain nothing.

I can't believe anyone is foolish enough to think SOE is the better deal, it's so obvious it isn't that anyone who thinks otherwise really needs to have there head examined.

Originally posted by VermilioNomy

Seeing the "Vanguard-going-F2P" hype about this game I thought it might be a good idea to try it out... but then oh dear, I have to pay(a small amount but I have to pay nonetheless) for being able to just wear gear? I mean that's just ridiculous in my eyes.

If it were a turbine game you would have to pay to access the dungeon that drops said gear.

There is tons of available, wearable gear.  Dont let anyones opinion one way or the other sway you, just play the game for yourself

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

I played vanguard up to a few months ago so don't go telling me where i would be better off.I said nothing about racing to end game i said vaguards end game is progression raiding or crafting. once you play for awhile the exploration novelty wears off.

For some of us, exploration isent a novelty. I love to revisit areas of the game that are a hike to get to. Part of the fun.

Originally posted by Kost

With the Turbine model you could easily earn the points through ingame play and buy that quest, not an option with SOE.

SOE offers no alternatives other than spending cash if you want restrictions lifted. Turbine allows you to remove any restriction using points than can be entirely earned through play.

I can't believe anyone is foolish enough to think SOE is the better deal, it's so obvious it isn't that anyone who thinks otherwise really needs to have there head examined.

earning points in turbine games isnt exactly fun though.  yeah, its an option but its also infinitely more efficient to go work a minimum wage job for a couple hours.  probably more fun too.  There is just too many different zone packs and expansion packs for LOTRO.  Through normal play you wont have enough points to unlock Moria, let alone the quest packs along the way to get you there.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by VermilioNomy

Seeing the "Vanguard-going-F2P" hype about this game I thought it might be a good idea to try it out... but then oh dear, I have to pay(a small amount but I have to pay nonetheless) for being able to just wear gear?

Are you being obtuse or was that a poor attempt at spin?

Do you have to play (oh dear!) to be able to just wear gear? No, Vermi, you do not.

If you are playing for free (not on a sub and not on Station Pass), and if it is high level gear then you would have to pay a small one-time fee to wear it.

The sense of entitlement is strong in this thread.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

I'd come back if the game didn't feel and look like a shit-bird turd. Sorry, but even though I love the design and the non-instanced approach, the game just can't excite me at this stage.

Maybe if they added meaningful PvP - and made it almost entirely free with a cash-shop. But I doubt I'd play even then.

The timing is also very, very bad - with GW2 little more than a week away. Coupled with the F2P model, it's like Sony REALLY wants it to die.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Heres a repost of a post I made in 2010 about EQ2X vs LOTRO's model, educate yourself (all of these examples apply directly to Vanguard as well):

(1) LOTRO gives you access to 7 classes as a free player (Burglar, Captain, Champion, Minstrel, Hunter, Guardian and Lore-Master), there are only 9 classes in the game and the two they do not give free players are expansion content and always have been.

EQ2 has 24 classes, and they give you access to 8 for free. As a free player you get access to one third of the games classes for free, where as LOTRO gives free players access to every single (non-expansion) class for absolutely free.

(2) LOTRO only has 4 races, they give free players access to every race they have in the game for free immediately.

EQ2X has 19 available races, and they give you access to four for free. Forcing you to pay for nearly every race in the game.

(3) In LOTRO you can access ALL non expansion zones regardless of subscription level, it is the quest packs you need to pay for, and unlike EQ2X you can easily earn enough TP through ingame play to purchase the needed packs to unlock the content you desire.

(4) In LOTRO I can purchase a one month subscription, and retain everything I earned while VIP when my account reverts from VIP to Premium.

EQ2X locks any features you don't have access to if you subscribe and then revert back to a Bronze or Silver level. Forcing you to pay in order to regain access to those features, which is especially frustrating if you happen to have created characters while you were Gold or better that are not among the classes available at Bronze or Silver. Locked characters are pretty useless, no?

(5) EQ2X restricts a free players access to chat heavily. LOTRO does not.

(6) EQ2X restricts spell tiers. Which, despite what you claim, is very much a needed upgrade at endgame. No guilds intent on doing endgame content will take players with expert level spells, this is common knowledge, you are expected to have masters by 90 and this is no exception on 2X.

LOTRO does not restrict a free players access to class abilities or spells in any way.

(7) EQ2X restricts you from wearing any gear better than Mastercrafted as a free player. Again, hindering you seriously if you ever plan to use that character at endgame for anything other than questing or running content you outlevel.

LOTRO does not restrict a free players access to gear in any way.

SOEs devs have openly admited that the whole point of the payment model on 2X is to encourage freemium players to pay for subs, which (ironicly, and in typical SOE fashion) gives you access to LESS on EQ2X for the exact same price as a Live EQ2 sub which gives you everything the game has to offer.

I fail to see how EQ2X is the better deal in any way, shape or form. There is more than enough contrary evidence to prove otherwise. The restrictions LOTRO places on a free players are lax at best, and the fact that a free player can earn the TP ingame through free play to buy the needed packs for advancement is also a massive benefit over EQ2X.

What about numbers though?

EQ2X charges you 10 dollars for a guild charter. LOTRO does not charge anything for a kinship charter.

In EQ2X, what if I wanted to purchase the classes and races they don't offer me access to as a free player? Lets check out races first, shall we?

There are five race packs purchaseable in EQ2X (DE/Troll/Sarnak, Dwarf/Fae/HE, Gnome/Halfling/WE, Iksar/Ogre/Ratonga and Kerran/Froglok/Arasai). Each of these packs costs 750 Station Cash, equal to $7.50.

It would cost me $37.50 just to gain access to all of the games races.

Classes?

Well, individual classes (thats right, no "class packs" like races, you pay per single class) are also 750 Station Cash per class. With 16 available classes that are not accessable for free, you're looking at a whopping $120 just to purchase the classes.

So, if a new player wanted access to all classes and races (and wanted to start a guild), it would cost him or her an initial investment of $167.50 to be able to achieve that goal, or be forced into a sub where you will lose your content once it lapses.

What about LOTRO though?

Lets pretend that a free player wanted to buy those quests packs needed for 20-50 instead of earning the TP ingame, it would cost him or her a grand total of 17 dollars (and some change) to gain permanent access to the needed packs for progressing through the 20-50 range. This is the only purchase that would be required, and the users account would immediately be upgraded from Free to Premium just for making a purchase.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Kost

Sub for one month of LOTRO, you retain all unlocks gained during that period.

Sub for one month of gold in EQ2X or an SOE F2P title, you get to watch them lock all your content (including the classes you had been playing that are not included with Bronze) once your sub is up. You retain nothing.

In game play??  What am I going to do to earn those points?  Mob grind for a month? 

Edit:  I think SoE should open all blue items to F2P players.  So this is obviously not a great F2P set up either.

Another Edit:  I said to the player that wants to spend nothing SoE is clearly better...it's not close.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    It's pretty restrictive. Grouped with a couple of subbed people and went in a dungeon and could not wear any of the drops.   It will be uninstalled shortly  before GW2. 

I was going back with the intent to only group but if this is true I won't be staying long either. image

ugh.

http://www.vanguardthegame.com/free.vm

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Already back and loving it. Really enjoying my DK. Great in groups and I solo like a champ. Got my Spider mounts, Heavy appearance armor from the cash shop. Will buy a boat when I hit 20. I figure if I hit 20 then im here to stay.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    I would try it again, but the f2p restrictions and all are far to insane.  Maybe when they realize restrictions they are doing, much like eq2 are to impractical to keep in place I will give it a shot. Never good when a free trial sounds more appealing then the F2p model.

What about spending a small amount to unlock a few things and then you can play normally?

I don't think they are "insane' at all.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo