Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Picking a Race

Comments

• i_evil_ii_evil_i Member UncommonPosts: 13

I will start with Sylvari, as it is the only race I haven't played in beta. I like the mystery associated with them and I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Next will be Asura (I was quite surprised as to how much fun I had with my Asura in the last beta-weekend. In the beginning I really hadn't planned on even rolling an Asura...who'd of thunk it?).

For my third race, looking towards human. Yes call me boring and a simpleton, but I also like the underdog feel when playing human. Someone has to champion the humans, why not me?

Charr next to last. Interesting race but they will just have to wait their turn.

Meh race = Norn.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Asura Engineer to start with for me.

Followed by:  

Norn

Sylvari

Charr

Human

This is mostly because of what I played in the BWEs, I saw more of the Human areas then I should have and can save that for last.  Going to be tough to stick with just one character at first though, every class and race is a blast to play.  The game is just so FUN.

• TyratopsTyratops Member Posts: 98

Asura number 1

but Norn get a close second due to epic dance.

• VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Norn or humans, rest is just like. how can i say it ihhhhh
  • 2minokua2minokua Member Posts: 2
    Charr of course, and humans for the story line that it is very interesting!
  • KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    Norn all day, Viking Native Americans for the win!

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• TumoraTumora Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Im completely torn between Asura and Sylvari...but I deff know I want to be a ranger.
  • MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    Charr: Anybody who remembers the Kilrathi in Wingcommander? However, when I see the personalized story, I must always think 'Klingons'.

Asura: Imagine a Goblin and a Gnome in WoW had children. Or do you know the game Sam & Max from Telltale Games? This is where ArenaNet has the idea for Asura from.

Norn: Typical Barbarian-Viking-from the Nor(n)th-stuff.

Sylvari: Unique race. A little elfish, but they are really something new and different.

Humans: Always the toughest race to make (look at WoW, Humans are so ugly there). Overall ArenaNet did a good job (the lands, backgroundstory, the looks, etc.).

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by mazut

Asura (Attitude, Humour, Selfishness, Evil geeks) >

^This and the movement animations are the best of the given races!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015
    Asura for sure.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• Outkast22Outkast22 Member Posts: 51

I was originally going with Norn because I like the viking setting and no other race interested me that much. After playing the BWE and seeing the animations of the Charr it has definitely made the choice a bit harder.

I'll eventually play both but my main will be a warrior which I feel fits both races perfectly, just can't decide!

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by NameWasTaken
    The Asuran females are surprisingly cute. They are like little plush toys, with their big doey eyes. You just want to pick them up and give them a big hug. :)

Until, of course, that Asura female takes off half your face with her shark teeth. Then goes onto an hours long tyrade listing all the ways you are an inferior Bookah and how it must be infecting the entirety of your gene pool. And you will have no clue what she is saying for a good 99% of it.

I'll be rolling Norn Warrior myself. I love the race. I mean the fact that they are like giant vikings is a big part of why I love them. That and the bit of interesting duality they have when it comes to their beliefs. For a complete lack of a better comparison on my part at this moment, its almost Native American how they revere the animal spirits. And I can really dig that.

• Outkast22Outkast22 Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu
    Sylvari: Unique race. A little elfish, but they are really something new and different.

Not all that new, they are pretty much a copy of the DAOC Hibernia race known as the Sylvan.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Asura are awesome, surprisingly evil looking sometimes, which puts them away from cuteness  stupidity. Their animations are very fluid, and the voiceovers are great.

But as a Thief, I want an athletic look, so I'll pick either Norn or Charr.

Norns are the only ones which gave me that heroic feeling (tested them all except Sylvari).

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• ibe12ibe12 Member Posts: 35

Norn Ranger - I just can't wait to attack something in half bear form along with my pet bear.

Charr Warrior - Charr and warrior just goes hand and hand.

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    Asura are the master race.   Their jump animation is hilarious, and there /laugh emote will make for fun in PvP for taunting downed enemies.
  • BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I like Norn and Sylvari the most. Norn = best cultural armor and style in general. Sylvari = best character customization options.
  • DraeghorDraeghor Member UncommonPosts: 50
    I will definately play all of them.  But from the Beta experiences of the starter regions, I will probably be Human or Norn.  I had the most fun in those zones, and the storylines fit me better.  I really wanted to like the Charr, but just could not get the design of the zones compared to the other races.  Oh, and the Sylvani main city drove me nuts with its identical multiple levels.
  • causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Asura 110%. Sylvari as my first alt.
  • IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    I'll try them all except asura, just not my kind of thing.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Outkast22
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

Not all that new, they are pretty much a copy of the DAOC Hibernia race known as the Sylvan.

Yes, the name and appearance, being trees, are pretty much the same. What separates them is the lore with the Sylvari.

Going Sylvari - character creation is the most in depth and their story seems strong up to lvl 15. All of the stories were good that I took part in.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Am I allowed to lol at the guy that said Norn thief?
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

What luck! I get 5 character slots :) I'll be rolling one of each, starting with the Norn.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DaredentDaredent Member UncommonPosts: 14

I wanted Asura, but after playing one I hated the animations and the way they move.

I will be sticking to Human Thief.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Charr - Engineer
    As the most technologically advanced race it makes sense that the Charr are probably the grand parents of the Engineer profession. Asura are all about magical constructs not mechanical constructs so Engineer for Asura seems too awkward to me. My charr will be old, battle worn, female and adapt with spanners, elixirs and clockwork mechanisms. Her elixir skills aren't advanced, she made the early mistake of consuming the hylek instead of learning from them. She makes a killer tadpole soup.

Sylvari - Necromancer
    After an early and unsavoury run in with the asura, it took him almost a year to grow that leg back, he joined the Nightmare Court where the dark arts are common place and revenge is a common act. The Nightmare Court proved too bogged down in hierarchy and too tunnel visioned to hold him for long. He returned to the first born but is still not trusted by either faction, the feeling is mutual. Too much to learn and to explore, allegiances can come later.

Human - Mesmer
    Queen Jennah was her childhood inspiration. The Queen's egalitarian rule hadn't pleased her noble family and her choice of profession was not well received. The charr had destroyed their ancestral home and the rise back to nobility was neither fought for nor hard won, knowing the right people was all that was needed with the right blood in your veins. Allegiance to the queen and the family was frought with secret meetings in dark alleyways, questions left unanswered and a growing uncertainty. Something has to give.