Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much do we know about the themepark part of this game?

ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

So, AA will have housing, boats and other cool features sandbox players have wanted for years. However, this is a Korean MMO and you know what they're like. Personally, I'm not willing to complete 50 "Kill 10 Battle Hikumen, 15 Hikumen Scouts and 8 Hikumen Wizards" quests just to get to the good stuff, neither do I have any interest in grinding for months to get enough materials to build whatever I need.

Does AA have any interesting features questing wise? Do we know anything about the time investment required to participate in meaningful sandbox content?

Comments

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by dekou
    So, AA will have housing, boats and other cool features sandbox players have wanted for years. However, this is a Korean MMO and you know what they're like. Personally, I'm not willing to complete 50 "Kill 10 Battle Hikumen, 15 Hikumen Scouts and 8 Hikumen Wizards" quests just to get to the good stuff, neither do I have any interest in grinding for months to get enough materials to build whatever I need.

Does AA have any interesting features questing wise? Do we know anything about the time investment required to participate in meaningful sandbox content?

Funny, you just quoted a WESTERN quest-grind game like WOW, War, Lotro, SWTOR, TSW.

In Korean Games especially involed with Jake Song it's:
    Go the F*** out and kill what you like, build what you like, forge alliances, pvp.
    you may kill 10.000 monsters along the way for a level, but YOUR Way.

So you answered your own question, the themepark aspect will be your "50" boring "quests" to do.
    Because that's what you want, guidance and told to do something.

• pratikrath86pratikrath86 Member Posts: 79

you can do the whole game in Dance mode nuf Said. Atleast according to the last build i had seen some time ago.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by skydiver12

Funny, you just quoted a WESTERN quest-grind game like WOW, War, Lotro, SWTOR, TSW.

Go the F*** out and kill what you like, build what you like, forge alliances, pvp.

So you answered your own question, the themepark aspect will be your "50" boring "quests" to do.

You're not exactly helping the game or the OP with your condescending attitude. You're saying I'm going to have to grind a lot of enemies over and over and over again just to get to anything fun? 

"Killing monsters YOUR way."

Sounds incredibly lazy, which is generally what sandboxes are. Lazy ass developers who want the players to entertain themselves because they're not at all creative enough to create decent content for those players. Looking forward to see how this one breaks the mold.

I expect very little.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

remember this is a proper mmorpg character development should take time.. thats part of what makes an mmorpg good. If i want instant gratification ill play one of the numerous fps type games out there..

If your not interested in spending time developing your character and gaining resource to build stuff then i guess Sandbox type games are not for you. I guess Archeage might be a bit better but who knows its an asian game afterall.

As for the quests i am pretty sure there will be leaked info some place, its hada few closed betas now but i would expect the standard kill quests really..

@ the guy above no a sandbox is not a lazy way to make an MMORPG LOL.. people want freedom in a game they dont want their hand held at every turn thats boring and thats whats wrong with the current generation of wow clones.. People are bored of them so dont stick around for very long.

Archeage looks like it will be a mix of both so who knows maybe its the right combination to get people to stick around.

Originally posted by Aviggin

Originally posted by dekou So, AA will have housing, boats and other cool features sandbox players have wanted for years. However, this is a Korean MMO and you know what they're like. Personally, I'm not willing to complete 50 "Kill 10 Battle Hikumen, 15 Hikumen Scouts and 8 Hikumen Wizards" quests just to get to the good stuff, neither do I have any interest in grinding for months to get enough materials to build whatever I need.   Does AA have any interesting features questing wise? Do we know anything about the time investment required to participate in meaningful sandbox content?
      Funny, you just quoted a WESTERN quest-grind game like WOW, War, Lotro, SWTOR, TSW.   In Korean Games especially involed with Jake Song it's: Go the F*** out and kill what you like, build what you like, forge alliances, pvp. you may kill 10.000 monsters along the way for a level, but YOUR Way. So you answered your own question, the themepark aspect will be your "50" boring "quests" to do. Because that's what you want, guidance and told to do something.
    You're not exactly helping the game or the OP with your condescending attitude. You're saying I'm going to have to grind a lot of enemies over and over and over again just to get to anything fun? 

Sounds incredibly lazy, which is generally what sandboxes are. Lazy ass developers who want the players to entertain themselves because they're not at all creative enough to create decent content for those players. Looking forward to see how this one breaks the mold.

I expect very little.

Sandbox is about what you do, not only the mmorpg instance but also the real thing standing in a backyard. It's about doing something with the tools given.

If you want to get entertained (passiv) sandbox games are simply not for you. Face it. I don't know why all the themepark players jump it, but must be a hype thing. So if you expect me to write an answer about what some want badly to be a "themepark part of archeage" while it's just another tool in the box, i will tell them how i see things.

It would be wrong to pretend archeage will be able to cather to themepark players, just because it has quests.

Besides Themepark games are the lazy one's. Fixed tiny zones, on rail gameplay, streamlined.
    Try creating a tool which can be applied numerous ways without breaking the context or world. Now make them interact with dozends of others.

Archeage will not break the mold, because it does not want it.
    Archeage is not a sandpark for me. It's follows the lineage of good korean mmos. Huge open worlds, interaction, lot of fun elements. Some would call that "sandbox", other won't because it does not have permadeath, full loot <add your own niche here>, other will try to spin it into a themepark because it has quests to guide you and level you. Archeage will not cather to these extremes as did lineage and lineage2.

They are their own mix.

Going back to full topic,

doing 50x kill 15 monster quests is themepark. "lazy" sandbox korean grinders will just let kill you 10.000 / 50.000 of whatever you like or am i wrong? Isn't this the stereotype?

Archeage give's you the option for both. Now does that mean it will be able to keep players who do not like the "overused" themepark quest-grind, or the asian free style of grinding?

I don't think so.

[mod edit]
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

You're pretty out of touch to be honest.  For years Korean games had the reputation of being a huge grind fest.  If you played Lineage 2, then you know what I am talking about, and that is just one example.  Recently that tradition seems to be going away, and i have high hopes for AA and I do intedn to play it when it releases.

Your attitude and condecending attitude are what is wrong with the entire on-line gaming  scene today.  A bunch of self entitled children that think because they are anonymouse they can get away with whatever they want.  And for the most part they are correct.  Which is unfortunate, hopefully some day there is a system instituted that will allow people like this to be punished.

Until then.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• kol56kol56 Member Posts: 124

If you want to get entertained (passiv) sandbox games are simply not for you. 

That's really all I needed to hear. Hahah... "if you want to be entertained, go somewhere else."

You crack me up.

Enjoy your lack of entertainment.

Enjoy buying the latest themepark filler and getting bored in 2 weeks.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

Originally posted by Hatefull

You're pretty out of touch to be honest.  For years Korean games had the reputation of being a huge grind fest.  If you played Lineage 2, then you know what I am talking about, and that is just one example.  Recently that tradition seems to be going away, and i have high hopes for AA and I do intedn to play it when it releases.

Your attitude and condecending attitude are what is wrong with the entire on-line gaming  scene today.  A bunch of self entitled children that think because they are anonymouse they can get away with whatever they want.  And for the most part they are correct.  Which is unfortunate, hopefully some day there is a system instituted that will allow people like this to be punished.

Until then.

And Western MMOs are any different?

They are still boring, kill 10 quest is still a boring grindfest.

"Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them's making a poop, the other one's carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge."

"The idea behind the tuxedo is the woman's point of view that men are all the same; so we might as well dress them that way. That's why a wedding is like the joining together of a beautiful, glowing bride and some guy"
    -Seinfeld

Originally posted by kol56

Until then.

Lol you obviously never played L2 before the big changes.  I wasn't go kill 10 of this, you had to mindlessely kill millions of things (in later levels) by just grinding them over and over again to get a level...and it could no kidding, take you a solid week of grinding to get from level 75 to 76.  No quests, not running dungeons to kill bosses, just straight grinding, so no western MMO's have never been that bad, bad yes, I grant that but never in that catagory.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by pratikrath86

you can do the whole game in Dance mode nuf Said. Atleast according to the last build i had seen some time ago.

Yeah, saw that video. That's an instant purchase for me. :P

Until then.

Lol you obviously never played L2 before the big changes.  I wasn't go kill 10 of this, you had to mindlessely kill millions of things (in later levels) by just grinding them over and over again to get a level...and it could no kidding, take you a solid week of grinding to get from level 75 to 76.  No quests, not running dungeons to kill bosses, just straight grinding, so no western MMO's have never been that bad, bad yes, I grant that but never in that catagory.

At least in L2 i also had guild wars, sieges, pvp for the best spots, open world bosses/raids, pet raising, politics and a couple of other things.

In western mmos.... kill 10 quests, shallow and meaningless instanced PVP, ...... instanced raids... that's it, 1 month fillers

Yeah i'll take a 2 year grindfest over a shallow 1 month filler, thanks, in games like Lineage 2 i had other stuff to do than just level up and getting phat lootz

And it's not like AA will be like that at all, there are quests.

Yeah kill 10 quests sucks, and AA has them, but honestly, i don't care.

I would rather have all the features AA has over some improved version of kill 10 quests, like TSW investigation missions or SWTOR VOs.... or even GW2 Dynamic Events.

Because when that content ends, the game ends, so why even bother, just give me the tools to make my own content with other players in a virtual world.

-Seinfeld

Originally posted by dekou So, AA will have housing, boats and other cool features sandbox players have wanted for years. However, this is a Korean MMO and you know what they're like. Personally, I'm not willing to complete 50 "Kill 10 Battle Hikumen, 15 Hikumen Scouts and 8 Hikumen Wizards" quests just to get to the good stuff, neither do I have any interest in grinding for months to get enough materials to build whatever I need.   Does AA have any interesting features questing wise? Do we know anything about the time investment required to participate in meaningful sandbox content?
      Funny, you just quoted a WESTERN quest-grind game like WOW, War, Lotro, SWTOR, TSW.   In Korean Games especially involed with Jake Song it's: Go the F*** out and kill what you like, build what you like, forge alliances, pvp. you may kill 10.000 monsters along the way for a level, but YOUR Way. So you answered your own question, the themepark aspect will be your "50" boring "quests" to do. Because that's what you want, guidance and told to do something.

Until then.

Funny how you prove to be the issue you are complaining about.

I'm pretty in touch actually, i'm not one of those dumb immature people walking the dream till lvl85 in lineage2. So i guess you have a 99/99 character with top R99? How long was your last 0.05% XP session, 4 hours? (Not including lost time due to clanwars).

Just because they revamped the world so low levels can catch up without leveling for 2 years themselves doesn't mean L2 isn't "grindy" anymore, or what most ignorant people would call korean grind.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

As it's a sandbox-themepark hybrid: It might be useful to list the features which are themepark and those that are sandbox. Then the question could be addressed more directly?

Is there such a list/divide? /thanks.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

The biggest concern i have with AA is that its being made on the crytek 3 engine and i generally disregard games made on someone elses engine as a clone of something else by default..

With that said a sandpark/themebox is imho "the missing link" in the mmo universe and such creative thinking and boldness cannot and should not be ignored by gamers so i like many await more info..

At this point even though the game is being made on the crytek engine at least in theory i dig what song is saying he wants to do and would like to know more about the themepark elements and how it will all mesh together as well..

Playing GW2..

I'm not willing to complete 50 "Kill 10 Battle Hikumen, 15 Hikumen Scouts and 8 Hikumen Wizards" quests just to get to the good stuff, neither do I have any interest in grinding for months to get enough materials to build whatever I need.

Well it's not like you have a choice, it's either this or going back to other games to do the same but without any of the features of AA like open world housing, ship pvp, public farms, etc etc.

-Seinfeld

• JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

I expect very little.

how exactly is having 3.000 quests, out of which 2.900 require you to kill 10-15 mobs any different? Or thats considered fun now? Lazy sandbox developers? Themeparks devs spamming you with almost identical quests, from day one to 'level cap, where the real game begins in themeparks' are now less lazy?

Seriously, whats wrong with you people. There comes a game which has all your themepark features (lets you lvl up by doing quests, or you could just plain grind), AND on top of that has open world housing, continents to conquer, guild towns to build, boats, sea combat, etc etc and all that as a fully developed feature, unlike other games... and you call that lazy?

But games which features combat, and ground combat only, with their only side feature being fishing mostly, and in most cases even that one is not worth your time - they are not made by lazy devs, because of....?  Quite frankly, im a bit confused..

Originally posted by JimyHumuHumu

I expect very little.

how exactly is having 3.000 quests, out of which 2.900 require you to kill 10-15 mobs any different? Or thats considered fun now? Lazy sandbox developers? Themeparks devs spamming you with almost identical quests, from day one to 'level cap, where the real game begins in themeparks' are now less lazy?

Seriously, whats wrong with you people. There comes a game which has all your themepark features (lets you lvl up by doing quests, or you could just plain grind), AND on top of that has open world housing, continents to conquer, guild towns to build, boats, sea combat, etc etc and all that as a fully developed feature, unlike other games... and you call that lazy?

But games which features combat, and ground combat only, with their only side feature being fishing mostly, and in most cases even that one is not worth your time - they are not made by lazy devs, because of....?  Quite frankly, im a bit confused..

Exactly, games like SWTOR and TSW are what i would call lazy games made by lazy developers.

You either level up...... or make an alt to level up again, that's it.

One dimensional games.

-Seinfeld

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

You know that housing and boats etc. isn't what makes it a sandbox mmo right?

The meaning of sandbox, is that you are left in a world where you as a player, choose your were you wanna go. There is no A -> B & B -> C.

Housing is just a very cool feature they are adding (feature that should be in all mmo's if you ask me).

If AA is a true Sandbox the PvE would be something like EvE. Do whatever you wanna do: Quests, farm, professions etc. 

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Method01

You know that housing and boats etc. isn't what makes it a sandbox mmo right?

The meaning of sandbox, is that you are left in a world where you as a player, choose your were you wanna go. There is no A -> B & B -> C.

Housing is just a very cool feature they are adding (feature that should be in all mmo's if you ask me).

If AA is a true Sandbox the PvE would be something like EvE. Do whatever you wanna do: Quests, farm, professions etc. 

Player-created content and being able to progress outside of combat are usually considered to be the features that make a MMORPG a sandbox. There are many themeparks that don't give you a path to follow, such as Guild Wars 2 and Anarchy Online. They're still themeparks, although Anarchy has player-created cities and many other sandbox elements.

Looks like AA will have a single storyline for you to follow, with cut scenes and other "trendy" features. It'll have a "mix of the sandbox and the narrative".

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

As it's a sandbox-themepark hybrid: It might be useful to list the features which are themepark and those that are sandbox. Then the question could be addressed more directly?

Is there such a list/divide? /thanks.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/349518/List-of-Sandbox-MMORPGs-Updated-August-12-2012.html

Scroll down to see a list of typical sandbox features.

Until then.

At least in L2 i also had guild wars, sieges, pvp for the best spots, open world bosses/raids, pet raising, politics and a couple of other things.

In western mmos.... kill 10 quests, shallow and meaningless instanced PVP, ...... instanced raids... that's it, 1 month fillers

Yeah i'll take a 2 year grindfest over a shallow 1 month filler, thanks, in games like Lineage 2 i had other stuff to do than just level up and getting phat lootz

I would rather have all the features AA has over some improved version of kill 10 quests, like TSW investigation missions or SWTOR VOs.... or even GW2 Dynamic Events.

Because when that content ends, the game ends, so why even bother, just give me the tools to make my own content with other players in a virtual world.

I am not even sure what you are on about.  You make no sense...you had Guildwars? I was speaking about lineage 2, apples and oranges.  Anyway, let me make it simple so maybe you can try and keep up.  What I was saying is:

Grind = Bad no matter the setting.

Easy enough for you now?

• fyfanfarlifyfanfarli Member Posts: 15

Until then.

I am not even sure what you are on about.  You make no sense...you had Guildwars? I was speaking about lineage 2, apples and oranges.  Anyway, let me make it simple so maybe you can try and keep up.  What I was saying is:

Grind = Bad no matter the setting .

Easy enough for you now?

"Grind = Bad no matter the setting ." (In my humble opinion), you forgot that last part, just helping you on the interwebs, it can be tricky!

I expect very little.

Hey man, at least Themepark devs have to write a little story with each quest and have to put more than two types of enemies in an area, because they have to do many quests with different ones, rather than just let you grind on one type for hours to get a level, then move on to the other type for hours. 

But hey, if you think actually running around doing stuff rather than just pushing a couple buttons grinding on the same enemies for hours or days just to get a level is less fun, that's up to you. Menial repetition is great to you. I see that. 

The games I like might not be entirely void of repetition, but at least I'm not falling asleep every 10 minutes and have to wake myself up to click the attack button before I fall back to sleep. 

I'll have to play ArcheAge to really understand the hype, but I truly doubt the developers are going to be able to pull off anything close to what you have built up in your head. 

But yes, I stick by my opinion that sandboxes are generally lazy because they generally introduce a lot of half-assed features and just kinda hope people find the fun in there somewhere. If AA turns out different, good for AA, but I'm calling 'em as I sees 'em.  I also never said Themepark games like you described weren't getting lazier as well, but they generally feel more polished and exciting to play, in my opinion. Even if it's only for a few weeks. 

But hey, one day, your precious AA will be out and we can all see if it's actually got a lot of features that work properly and are fun. Until then, you're talking out of your ass just as much as you believe me to be.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Currently known Themepark features;

-3 instanced Dungeons,  small group, 1x L20, 2x L30, one is known to be 3 player max, the others unknown. Unknown how many, if any, non-instanced dungeons there might be.

-Quest advancement, as of CBT5 interview they have quests up through L46 with a max char L50. However, the quests while being easy leveling mode, if you choose to respec one of your 3 skill schools(they are not pathed trees) you will need to level it up and with most or all quests gone it will have to be by other non-quest methods.

-Group and Siege/Raid size limits, personally not really a problem but some take offense.

-Fixed and known spawns, pretty much standard fare, very few try to change this.

-Farmville aspects of resource gathering, to me this is much more sandbox than themepark, but I have seen people complain about it.

Really that's about all I can think of atm.

See Entaro's Review of CBT4, http://archeagesource.com/topic/636-archeage-cbt4-review-and-extensive-game-info/#entry8326

He and others at AAS were active beta-testers in CBT4 and earlier, and will be returning with CBT5.

I expect very little.

Hey man, at least Themepark devs have to write a little story with each quest and have to put more than two types of enemies in an area BOOOORING, because they have to do many quests with different ones, rather than just let you grind on one type for hours to get a level, then move on to the other type for hours. 

But hey, if you think actually running around doing stuff And by doing stuff you mean killing mobs... right, because in those games you like, there is nothing else to do rather than just pushing a couple buttons grinding on the same enemies for hours or days just to get a level is less fun, that's up to you. Menial repetition is great to you. I see that.  LOL you are the one who likes menial repetition, enjoy grinding kill 10 quests! In AA i will have my own farm, my town, my castle, fight krakens on the sea.

In your games.... you have none of that.

The games I like might not be entirely void of repetition, but at least I'm not falling asleep every 10 minutes and have to wake myself up to click the attack button before I fall back to sleep.  It's what usually happens when you played 2 or 3 MMOs in your life, wait a couple of years and you will be bored to tears of playing the same game.

I'll have to play ArcheAge to really understand the hype, but I truly doubt the developers are going to be able to pull off anything close to what you have built up in your head. 

But yes, I stick by my opinion that sandboxes are generally lazy because they generally introduce a lot of half-assed features and just kinda hope people find the fun in there somewhere. If AA turns out different, good for AA, but I'm calling 'em as I sees 'em.  I also never said Themepark games like you described weren't getting lazier as well, but they generally feel more polished and exciting to play, in my opinion. Even if it's only for a few weeks.  TLDR, "i like simple and easy to get into shallow games so i can kill mobs all the time and get some good loot"

But hey, one day, your precious AA will be out and we can all see if it's actually got a lot of features that work properly and are fun. Until then, you're talking out of your ass just as much as you believe me to be.

Unlike you, he actually knows what he's talking about, those features he listed are all on the closed beta, which doesn't have an NDA.

-Seinfeld