Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Discouraging thread on official forum

2»

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Fairfax, VAPosts: 1,347Member Uncommon
    i totally agree with you there pay to win is a deal breaker for myself also. It might just be appearence armor but no way to know for another hour when the servers open back up. Pay to Win sucks and if SOE goes with that route which they did for awhile with eq2 but took it away im out quick as im sure a lot of players will be. Thats a sure fire way to kill their own game. The mounts might be rare but that is something you will be stuck with as mounts make SOE a ton of money.
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Amory, MSPosts: 2,544Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

I saw a thread saying that due to all the changes and additions the game is now quite buggy.

I can't believe they would do this.  All they needed to do was polish the game up for launch and code in the f2p stuff.

So help me if the game goes free to play with a bunch of new bugs and they didn't bother to fix the old ones, I'm not even going to bother.

F2P VG was what I was most excited about...was looking forward to resubbing and having a healthy population to play with.

The more I hear, the less exicted I am.  Unbelievable.

Firstly it's obvious to at least some of us old timers that SOE bought Vanguard to kill it via a slow death of neglect. It was a direct rival of EQ2 and SOE could tolerate that. SOE had to do something to remove the competition... but what? Only thing that SOE could do that would look "OK" in the minds of MMO Players was to buy it out.... and so that is what they did. Vanguard was never really finished so of course it's full of bugs... why should SOE fix them if they want it to die?

SOE couldn't give a rat's furry behind about VG and never will care UNLESS turning VG into F2P makes them some money and THEN they will care. This is a last ditch effort to make a few more dollars, nothing more.

Secondly... It's Free to Play... nothing free in life is any good... how long will Players refuse to understand and comprehend this simple concept? How long will Players continue to behave like well trained  and mindless consumer drones and robots? Any MMO that is F2P or goes F2P is garbage. B2P is a completely different animal and usually is OK (not great but better than F2P).

You get what you pay for, and in MMOs the best are MMOs where everyone pays. Nothing that has happened in ANY MMO in the last 10 years has changed my mind on that point.

I think Vanguard is one of the best MMOs ever made (my opinion of course), I would play it but I seen the proposed changes and I know VG is going to be a mess come F2P. I don't want to see what a Mess SOE is going to make with it.

Vanguard would've died in alpha testing if SOE hadn't stepped in to save it after Microsoft dropped them.  McQuaid wasn't forced to sell out to SOE.  He could've sold the game to any number of publishers had they expressed interest.  The fact that no one else expressed interest leads me to believe there was something inherently wrong with Vanguard's development.

The idea that SOE purchased Vanguard simply to keep it out of direct competition with EQ2 is 100% conjecture with absolute no factual basis whatsoever.  SOE made an effort to salvage Sigil's mess shortly after release, but the subs kept dropping.  It made no financial sense to continue pooring dollars into a project with no return when their flagship title EverQuest 2 was still doing fairly well.

Sometimes I wish SOE never would've published Vanguard.  At least then the game may have died a proper death, and we wouldn't be listening to this drivel 5 years after release.

Secondly, what is this nonsense about B2P?  How many currently released MMORPGs feature a B2P model?  Guild Wars?  Guild Wars 2 will be released in a couple weeks, but beyond GW and the upcoming GW2, we have no idea how the B2P model will turn out or how it will be alltogether different from the supposedly "garbage" F2P model.

• beat_downbeat_down Gardena, CAPosts: 45Member Uncommon

They already posted the armor on the launcher is for appearance tab only.

They shouldn't have worded it how they did.

• bhugbhug earth, FLPosts: 1,033Member

Vanguard's isle start area had/has huge lag, even two days ago while few were on server.

During initial crafting / diplomacy lag is so bad one suspects the client has locked up or maybe one is somehow not following tutorial / limited info in the starter quest; or else the client crashes and you are back at char select.

Even on 5ms (800KB/s) dsl, the backbone to soe's server is close to 180ms (worse than dial-up). But seems ALL the soe games have terrible connection to the internet (cheap inferior connection)... pay a small fortune for broadband and the last 2 or 3 hops it jumps from 20 to 40ms to near 200ms; i doubt the servers are in europe, as crossing the Atlantic adds 100ms. (Pacific adds 250ms)

2012ce and no reason they should still have such junk connections to the internet, this is not the 1990s (and a million subscribers needing dynamic 2 way communication) anymore; unless they just refuse to put any more real $ into their games.

Also every few minutes there is a BLINDING flash/white-out of the display, absolutely destroys any immersion into the game.
    After patching the client folder was 19.2 GB. And the game largely runs out of system memory (windows task manager/processes) with very little up/down internet communication (windows task manager/networking).

• thekid1thekid1 GroningenPosts: 789Member
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

I saw a thread saying that due to all the changes and additions the game is now quite buggy.

I can't believe they would do this.  All they needed to do was polish the game up for launch and code in the f2p stuff.

So help me if the game goes free to play with a bunch of new bugs and they didn't bother to fix the old ones, I'm not even going to bother.

F2P VG was what I was most excited about...was looking forward to resubbing and having a healthy population to play with.

The more I hear, the less exicted I am.  Unbelievable.

Ehm it's run by SOE, did you really expect anything else?

• slowpoke68slowpoke68 Chicago, ILPosts: 412Member Uncommon

When I heard about f2p I said it was thing I was most excited about, gaming wise, this year.  It appears they did exactly the opposite of what they should have.

Instead of just coding in the f2p stuff and polishing, they made a ton of changes and apparently introduced more bugs.  Inconceivably, there is still no rain in Win7 or vista...you have to play on a 3 generation old OS to see the rain that you can hear.  It is a shame because the rain really looks good.  Way to make a first impression.

Also I read somewhere that there would be an advertising push to go along with f2p launch...aside from this message board I have not seen a word about it.

I logged in f2p, gave it a look and sadly will not be playing.  Uninstalled for good this time.  Back to LOTRO for ROR for me.  What a pity.   

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,451Member Uncommon

The game is not any more buggy than when it became f2p. Certainly in a better place than at launch but it's always been creaky.

Game is fine otherwise and I'm keeping my sub.

• emotaemota PLYMOUTHPosts: 377Member Uncommon
    Some of the criticism in this thread is unwarranted, Vanguard at launch was a mess, ftp version is a joy to play. It is much improved.
  • emotaemota PLYMOUTHPosts: 377Member Uncommon
    Some of the criticism in this thread is unwarranted, Vanguard at launch was a mess, ftp version is a joy to play. It is much improved.
2»