Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an excellent 3 thumb button gaming mouse.

ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I am wierd when it comes to mouse useage for MMO gaming but I currently use a Logitech MX518 with 2 thumb buttons.  I use those 2 thumb buttons for shift and control modifiers this way I dont have to take fingers off of the W,A,S, & D keys.  Anyways I have a non functioning left pinky finger which prohibits me from using it to press the traditional Ctrl & Shift keys.  I am looking for a Mouse with 3 side buttons that allows me to bind the Dodge mechanic to the 3rd button?  I have tried to force myself to use the double tap to dodge but I just cant seem to get my 42 year old brain to commit to muscle memory.  I had been using the 2nd thumb button for dodging and only using 1 of the thumb buttons for utility and heal skills as a modifier for 6-10.  However I recent went back to using the 2nd thumb button (Alt modifier) as my F1 skills, instead of using F1 thru F4 I now use Alt 1 thru Alt 4 which feel more natural and basically reverts me back to a WoW setup.

Long story Short I need a new mouse with a 3rd button to have a dodge key on my thumb.

I recently ordered a http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-m60-performance-fps-laser-gaming-mouse.html/ but I just found out that the Sniper Button is non-re bindable so I pretty much wasted the $60 for the mouse. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
Waiting on: TESO
Next Flop: Planetside 2
Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Comments

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

You have three thumbs?   How cool!   My old shoe repair guy had four thumbs and four 'little toes' being polydactyl on his hands and feet born to a poor family in India before he immigrated to the US.   Freaked me out the first time I saw it, though.

Or did you mean something else?

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by MosesZD

You have three thumbs?   How cool!   My old shoe repair guy had four thumbs and four 'little toes' being polydactyl on his hands and feet born to a poor family in India before he immigrated to the US.   Freaked me out the first time I saw it, though.

Or did you mean something else?

[mod edit]  1 thumb for 3 buttons.  I currently use 1 thumb for 2 buttons.  Serious posts only please.

Notice the 2 Thumb buttons on this picture that can easily be accessible with 1 thumb.

Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• I use the Steelseries cata mouse and while it has 5 thumb buttons, 3 of them are the "main" ones with the other 2 just above those.  So you can just ignore the 2 top ones if you don't want to use them.  The 3 main ones are placed in an ideal spot for your thumb and are easy to distinguish/press (unlike some of these new mice that have 10+ thumb buttons).
  • jadedyjadedy Member CommonPosts: 33
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

I am wierd when it comes to mouse useage for MMO gaming but I currently use a Logitech MX518 with 2 thumb buttons.  I use those 2 thumb buttons for shift and control modifiers this way I dont have to take fingers off of the W,A,S, & D keys.  Anyways I have a non functioning left pinky finger which prohibits me from using it to press the traditional Ctrl & Shift keys.  I am looking for a Mouse with 3 side buttons that allows me to bind the Dodge mechanic to the 3rd button?  I have tried to force myself to use the double tap to dodge but I just cant seem to get my 42 year old brain to commit to muscle memory.  I had been using the 2nd thumb button for dodging and only using 1 of the thumb buttons for utility and heal skills as a modifier for 6-10.  However I recent went back to using the 2nd thumb button (Alt modifier) as my F1 skills, instead of using F1 thru F4 I now use Alt 1 thru Alt 4 which feel more natural and basically reverts me back to a WoW setup.

Long story Short I need a new mouse with a 3rd button to have a dodge key on my thumb.

I recently ordered a http://www.corsair.com/vengeance-m60-performance-fps-laser-gaming-mouse.html/ but I just found out that the Sniper Button is non-re bindable so I pretty much wasted the $60 for the mouse. 

how about this one http://www.amazon.de/Razer-Laser-Gaming-schnurgebunden-schwarz/dp/B002N2L6QU

or http://www.amazon.de/Razer-DeathAdder-Optische-Maus-USB/dp/B002RL9A2O ?

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

Maybe try this one 

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.244052300/categoryId.35208800

But if this is too many buttons use the logitech I say maybe one of the newer ones.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• minime2minime2 Member Posts: 113
    Dont know about a 3 button but have you considered the razor naga i think it's called .  Has 12 buttons dont have to use all 12 if you dont want . ?
  • komobokomobo Member Posts: 144

The Logitech G500 mouse has 3 thumb buttons, all custom bindable including the dpi buttons.

Also there's the Naga Hex with 6 thumb buttons.

* Waves at Pushkina *

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    Originally posted by minime2
    Dont know about a 3 button but have you considered the razor naga i think it's called .  Has 12 buttons dont have to use all 12 if you dont want . ?

I love the razor Naga. Since I got it, there is no going back to anu other mouse for mmos. 12 buttons by the thumb has increased my reaction time. I believe there are some wireless versions too. The onle below is the Epic Naga with a cord and is around $80.

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.219936100/parentCategoryID.35208800/categoryId.54536600

• lustbustlustbust Member Posts: 38

Was just about to suggest a razer naga. It really is Great for letting off your whole hotbar of skills with your thumb.I will say though that i have only had mine about a year and now its giving me problems of double clicking super fast when i am only single clicking and tis so annoying... but with a 2 year warranty i am about to just take it in for a new one :)

• logicwarlogicwar Member UncommonPosts: 69
    another vote for the naga great mouse.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

If you don't need 12 buttons, the Razer Naga Hex has 6. This is probably easier to deal with than the 12 on the Naga.

** edit **

The R.A.T. 7 mouse has a bunch of buttons and it very customizable. I've never used a Cyborg Gaming mouse, but I haven't heard anything bad about it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    I know razer and steelseries both have mice with many buttons. Watch out with steelseries mice though, that you dont ever twist the cord too much, they tend to kink up, and it can screw up the mouse forever.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/gaming-mouse-g500

This is the one that I am using right now. $70 so it is not too pricy. has the 3 buttons for your thumb. completely programable so you can send what ever key stroke you want from any button. I actually set my middle thumb button to be mouse button 3 or what most mice send when you press the wheel in. but they can be set to any key you want. Also the mouse wheel can be pushed to the left or the right. I set those to Q and E so that I can strafe easily while hitting skills with my left hand. You also get two buttons in the upper left that are usually set to increase your decrease the mouse sensitivity on the fly but you can also reprogram those. That gives you 10 buttons total, none of which requires your pinky.

All die, so die well.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Logitech G500 has 3 thumb buttons and wheel can be also "clicked" to the left and right apart from regular click. This is useful as it adds 2 more buttons controlled with index/middle finger.

Razer naga is also solid choice IF you can manage to use enough of it's 12 thumb buttons.

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475
    Originally posted by komobo

The Logitech G500 mouse has 3 thumb buttons, all custom bindable including the dpi buttons.

Also there's the Naga Hex with 6 thumb buttons.

The G500 is a great mouse for mmorgs.  Previosuly i had a G5.

Your thumb rolls over three buttons easily and intuitively but you also have extra buttons flicking the scroll wheel left and right, another pressing it down and two more scroll forward/back.

There are two other buttons on the right top edge of the left click too.   

The Corsair M90 is worth a look in too now that they have sorted out their software and the price has dropped.

http://i1-

Originally posted by Sixpax
    I use the Steelseries cata mouse and while it has 5 thumb buttons, 3 of them are the "main" ones with the other 2 just above those.  So you can just ignore the 2 top ones if you don't want to use them.  The 3 main ones are placed in an ideal spot for your thumb and are easy to distinguish/press (unlike some of these new mice that have 10+ thumb buttons).

Awesome I'll look into that one.

Originally posted by jadedy

how about this one http://www.amazon.de/Razer-Laser-Gaming-schnurgebunden-schwarz/dp/B002N2L6QU

or http://www.amazon.de/Razer-DeathAdder-Optische-Maus-USB/dp/B002RL9A2O ?

Nope I dislike the Naga immensly, bought one and returned it within a day.  Just too cumbersome and requires relearning muscle memory.

Death Adder only has 2 thumb buttons.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I recommend the G700. It's very ergonomic and comfortable. I don't get any strain as I did when I used the naga in the past. You get four buttons for your thumb, along with some extra ones for your index finger if you so wish it. Also your thumb doesn't always have to rest on the buttons as there is a groove for your thumb. Anyways, I use the thumb buttons for dodging, jumping, along with modifiers if neccessary. I use the index finger buttons for swapping weapons and ventrilo push to talk. It worked out quite well during the beta weekends. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666
    Originally posted by Falcomith
    Originally posted by minime2

I love the razor Naga. Since I got it, there is no going back to anu other mouse for mmos. 12 buttons by the thumb has increased my reaction time. I believe there are some wireless versions too. The onle below is the Epic Naga with a cord and is around $80.

http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.219936100/parentCategoryID.35208800/categoryId.54536600

This is shit for me, where do i put my thump. seriously, i hold so hard my mouse sometime with my thumps that i would press all button at once. so this is mouse is not good for me , i will keep my 2 thumps 1 lol

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by sk8chalif
    This is shit for me, where do i put my thump. seriously, i hold so hard my mouse sometime with my thumps that i would press all button at once. so this is mouse is not good for me , i will keep my 2 thumps 1 lol

You'd probably like the G700. Nice little groove for your thumb when you're not using the side buttons. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

Originally posted by doragon86

You'd probably like the G700. Nice little groove for your thumb when you're not using the side buttons. 

Yup I just ordered it.  Same size as my previous logitech so it will still feel natural.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    we have the same exact mouse <3 mine, that new one from steel series, the sensei has 2 buttons on each side of the mouse if that would be an option.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Yup I just ordered it.  Same size as my previous logitech so it will still feel natural.

ugg I cant deal with wireless mice.. I hope they upgrade the old Mx518

• hcoelhohcoelho Member UncommonPosts: 529
    Originally posted by VikingGamer

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice-pointers/mice/gaming-mouse-g500

This is the one that I am using right now. $70 so it is not too pricy. has the 3 buttons for your thumb. completely programable so you can send what ever key stroke you want from any button. I actually set my middle thumb button to be mouse button 3 or what most mice send when you press the wheel in. but they can be set to any key you want. Also the mouse wheel can be pushed to the left or the right. I set those to Q and E so that I can strafe easily while hitting skills with my left hand. You also get two buttons in the upper left that are usually set to increase your decrease the mouse sensitivity on the fly but you can also reprogram those. That gives you 10 buttons total, none of which requires your pinky.

+1 

Best mouse i ever had and i've owned a Naga and some others gaming mice.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Originally posted by ariboersma

ugg I cant deal with wireless mice.. I hope they upgrade the old Mx518

The G700 is both corded and wireless. The cord allows you to use the mouse like a regular corded mouse and charges the battery. So if you like corded it works just like a corded mouse, however I think you'll quickly find that wireless mode does have it's usees.

I used the Mx518 for like 5 years. The one broke, optics died, within warranty so they sent me a new one. Used that one for a year or so and the cord got a break in it. I used the cord from the previous mouse and used it for probably another 6 months. I ended up picking the G700 as my mx518 replacement because I got a 50% off code from logitech, at $50 there was no better mouse. Not to mention that Logitech's warranty service is great. I actually just had my G700 replaced because the left mouse button switch was messed up. It would multi-click and unclick even when held.