Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

old laptop- XP or win 7?

ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I've recently yanked out an old laptop of mine, a HP pavillion DV5000, to use for multi boxing Vanguard now that it is free to play.

This particular laptop is complete junk, with a 1.60 GHz CPU and only 1 gig of Ram, not to mention i dont even know if it has a devoted video card or if it is an integrated piece of junk as well. I won't be paying to upgrade anything, obviously, since the tech is so very far behind.

It is currently running Vista (iknorite?) and i am looking to get outta that. I can go either to windows 7 ultimate, or i can go back to XP.

My question is which to go for? With windows 7, I can slap in one of the fifty 16 gig usb drives i have lying around and use it for that Turbo boost thing to add some memory, or i can use XP for it's low resource usage. I know next to nothing about the USB memory thing, so don't laugh at me if that is the clear winner.

The system as is is very laggy, taking 5-15 seconds just to open up firefox.

I don't need stable FPS, pretty graphics, or even sound since i am simply using it to mash buttons for the second character. I know it's possible, because i used to use this same laptop to dual box Shaiya. I'm just trying to squeeze all i can outta it. SO, any advice is appreciated!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

UPDATE: After doing some more digging on the web, i found out why i couldnt find any info on the boost. I was searching for turbo boost instead of readyboost , so i was getting nothing but intel CPU pages.

Anyways, according to the glorious web, i can still use the usb as virtual memory  in XP by setting it up under the device properties in Computer. SO, which is less system intensive, to get that last bit of useability out of this thing, windows 7 or XP ? Suppose that's all i need to know now! Still welcome any tips or advice ^^

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100
    If it is already running vista i would go with win-7 32 bit. Also check to see if it will accept more system ram. probly will handle up to 2 gb of ram. You should be able to get ram from pricewatch.com or newegg.com. System ram will help more than the usb boost will.
    After yet still more digging, I have answered my own questions lol. According to what i found, windows 7 reccomends 1 gig of ram just to run that, whereas XP is way lower. SO, XP it is!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by mundus01
    If it is already running vista i would go with win-7 32 bit. Also check to see if it will accept more system ram. probly will handle up to 2 gb of ram. You should be able to get ram from pricewatch.com or newegg.com. System ram will help more than the usb boost will.

Thanks for your thoughts, didn't see them. As i said, this laptop is already old as my daughter, so i won't be putting any money into it. It's just needed so i can click on skills from my second vanguard account. The whole screen could be black except for the skillbars and i would be just great still lol.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I would stick with XP as well.

Win7 can be paired down to run fairly lean, but with only 1G of RAM available, your not going to get it to be as lean as XP can be, which can be made to run on as little as 128M of RAM with the same amount of effort as Win7 on 1G (and probably about the same performance, all in all).

ReadyBoost, also, not all that dramatic. Also, they require a "high speed" drive to enable the feature (Windows won't even allow the option if the USB drive isn't fast enough). ~Most~ USB drives bought in the store would probably qualify, but probably not, say, the free keychains you get from the blood drive, just for example. And it's not a good alternative to RAM - it's still many, many times slower, it mainly just serves to cache against older and slower hard drives, not so much to act as virtual memory or augment system RAM.

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100
    Well hope it runs well on xp. may have to load vanguard up myself. Have not played since 2 months after launch.