Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is SWTOR even worth playing now?

I know the game's going F2P later on but will people even still play it by the time the WoW expansion comes out?

Comments

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Or GW2 for that matter, but it still has some things that its rivals do not, it just had to adjust it's expectations.

Those who go for the next big thing wont come back, but some may after getting their fill of MoP and GW2, once the newness wears off, and you can compare all 3 evenly. MoP will get old, has its still dependent on old mechanics, and only if GW2 is better with combat, pvp, story, classes and every other element will returning to or starting SWTOR seem pointless. Even then people may miss their old characters, and love the Star Wars IP that much.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

If you find it fun, then yes, it's worth it. If it's not fun, then no. If you aren't sure, do the free trial and find out for yourself. 

Probably the best part of the game will be completely free (leveling), so it doesn't hurt to give it a shot.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by Psychow

If you find it fun, then yes, it's worth it. If it's not fun, then no. If you aren't sure, do the free trial and find out for yourself. 

Probably the best part of the game will be completely free (leveling), so it doesn't hurt to give it a shot.

That's a good point, for me, and others the story 1-50 is all that made swtor special, there wont ever be a reason to pay for more once it goes f2p, i'll just play all class stories and delete.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

It is worth playing now(450 CC/month?) but will also be worth playing later.

Just imagine all the content you can play from 1-50 on both factions. It is going to rival what you are going to get in most singleplayer games and it will be FREE.

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Certainly, The Old Republic is the number one MMORPG currently released by Electronic Arts.
  • NC4OMNC4OM Member Posts: 16
    he's dead Jim

Been bangn' since pong

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by wungun
    I know the game's going F2P later on but will people even still play it by the time the WoW expansion comes out?

I think the real question you should be asking is "Was SWTOR ever worth playing?"

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

If you're a fan of the MMO genre, you have nothing to lose.  I, myself, try to give every MMO a chance or two or three.  Usually find if I don't like the game by then, the fifth time works for me.

• VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    Moved to SWtOR General.
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
  • prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    I just decided to give the trial a go and it may sound strange but I love it! I think it's cause of the story mainly but the playing the inquisitor and warrior classes are pretty cool as well. But yah, it's fun but not really sure how long it'll last.
  • MarXonMarXon Member Posts: 22

In my opinion, yes.

I used to play SWTOR, but stopped after a month, as I really didn't want to do the same WoW-esque endgame again. However, I loved the story aspect of it, but with the looming dark cloud of a subscription over my head, I didn't want to continue playing.

Now, if their f2p model is good enough, I will return to it, just for the singleplayer part of the game.

• latinkurolatinkuro Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by zevni78

Or GW2 for that matter, but it still has some things that its rivals do not, it just had to adjust it's expectations.

Those who go for the next big thing wont come back, but some may after getting their fill of MoP and GW2, once the newness wears off, and you can compare all 3 evenly. MoP will get old, has its still dependent on old mechanics, and only if GW2 is better with combat, pvp, story, classes and every other element will returning to or starting SWTOR seem pointless. Even then people may miss their old characters, and love the Star Wars IP that much.

I think once people get used to GW2 combat it is gonna be hard to go back to trinity games without active combat, that said I like the Star Wars IP I will be back once it transitions to F2P for some good old Warzone PVP. (hope I can stomach it)

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Ill give it another chance after F2P but I doubt it will hold my interest even being free.
  • BlindmaliceBlindmalice Member Posts: 4
    Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?