Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about the sylvari.

ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

Im just sitting here daydreaming about GW2 and i just thought of a question i had about the sylvari.

Now i dont want any major spoilers about there story line (I would like to find out in game).... but i would like to know if this is addressed in the game or maybe i missed something in GW1.

Since the sylvari are birthed from a special tree... is this the only tree of this type in its exsistance? or are they suceptable to a type of genocide where....... just kill the tree and wipe out there existance?

Comments

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Single tree.
  • terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Question...has it been confirmed that they themselves are sterile? That the ONLY way they can procreate is the tree?
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Yes it was one tree but news has come that there may be more and I wont say where because of spoilers. The other trees have no real ties to home tree they exsist on there own so they might have a differant social style. As for myself I did play through the story to the 20 mark and can say you just need to play to find out. :)

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174

I suppose if someone wipes out the tree, it'll stop sprouting sylvari, but the ones alive are still gonna be alive.

Now, about the other question... Tough to answer that without spoilering!

At first, the game does not tell you if there are more sylvari trees or not, but we do know there were more seeds from which the pale tree came, so it could be a possibility. There's a personal story arc that goes further into those questions, you might be interested in it. When creating your character, pick the "Where life goes, so too, should you" option.

@terrant: They do not procreate, the tree is the only source. Ree Soesbee confirmed that in an audio interview about the sylvari.

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by ellobo29

Im just sitting here daydreaming about GW2 and i just thought of a question i had about the sylvari.

Now i dont want any major spoilers about there story line (I would like to find out in game).... but i would like to know if this is addressed in the game or maybe i missed something in GW1.

Since the sylvari are birthed from a special tree... is this the only tree of this type in its exsistance? or are they suceptable to a type of genocide where....... just kill the tree and wipe out there existance?

Originally posted by terrant
    Question...has it been confirmed that they themselves are sterile? That the ONLY way they can procreate is the tree?

Not that I know of, and it is a single tree... but...

And that is a big but. If you look at where the tree came from, the person who planted it found a cave full of giant seeds and took one of them... That tree is planted from just one of the seeds, so in theory there are plenty of other seeds... If anyone could find that cave again.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Yes

Potential for good plots

• Matheusor1Matheusor1 Member Posts: 174

It's all in the "Where life goes, so too, should you" story arc...

Which makes me kinda sad, some people might pick different choices and never get the answer to those major lore questions

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    Also if the tree were to bare fruit or seeds, then they could take one (possibly) to other areas in the world. Almost like having the seed/tree being the focus/focal point of their villages, though who knows how long it would be before these trees could give birth to Sylvari like the origana (almost kinda a style that would be like druidic setting cities.). But that is about the only way i could see it working that their were other trees in the world, either thru taking a seed from the tree, or from the cavern, or even more of a root system that connected the trees like a network system for computers.
  • NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Little known Sylvari conspiracy: Plant more Pale Tree seeds all around the world. One day, boom - Sylvari everywhere!
  • otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Lorewise AS FAR AS WE KNOW it's a single tree.

Originally posted by terrant

Yes it was confirmed by Roesbee at the wartower.de interview. Sylvari cannot procreate.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

The Pale Tree came from a seed Ronan discovered in a cavern on an adventure.  I believe he encountered angry nasty plant beasts in there who chased him out.  He managed to escape with a seed, which he wished to give as a gift to his daughter.  When he returned to his village, he discovered his family had been slaughtered.  He met Ventari, a centaur who saught solitude and peace.  He eventually founded the Grove as a sanctuary for any who desired peace.  That is where Ronan planted his seed, which grew into the Pale Tree, eventually sprouting the Sylvari centuries later.  

There were other seeds in the cavern where Ronan obtained the seed that became the Pale Tree.  So if nothing else, there exists literary potential for a second type of Pale Tree which could yield more Sylvari or a different species all together.  

• Its a single tree, but its origins are mysterious and since they are plants who knows what they can do?  Many plants can reproduce both sexually and clone themselves asexually.  There is even evidence of differences in geneome between some clones plant's roots and leaves.

Anyway point is alot is left open and mysterious.  The first premise is that yes everyone comes from that tree and its all they know.  But the sylvari are extremely young and their whole theme is one of discovery of how to live and what exists.  So anything could happen.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

It's semi-addressed in GW1, but very subtle. You'd have to pay super attention to the Ventari portion of the Prophecies storyline and it's also touched on in some of the post-game stuff via Hearts of the North and War in Kryta, iirc. It's only gone into detail in the books and in GW2's Sylvari storyline.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

What a viscious mind to even think of a Sylvari wipe out! o.o

I dunno about the lore, but I thought it was "life itself" or something, in a spiritual way that created the Sylvari, the cosmos. So if someone would actually destroy the tree, the "powers that be" would let another one grow. At least that's what I think. ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Asuran24Asuran24 Member Posts: 517
    One thign that might be interesting is a non instanced mission or instance dungeon in the game where a group of either all Sylvari, or just a mixed group of many races were either asked, or demanded to find the location of the cave where the pale tree's seed was found origanally. Than investegate if anymore of the seeds existed, any more info about the seeds or such, and rid the cavern of any ill-mannered pests so the seeds could be retrived. If they actually had a event or DE that centered on how the pale tree was either attacked (maybe by dark or dragon worshipping Sylvari or other races.), and the tree actually communicated with the village that they would need to retrive more of the seeds it would be interesting.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

After reading the books and all. I think the Sylvari are kind of nature answer to dragon plague. They are temporary and will simply dissapear to re appear when another crisis is happening.

I mean look at it.

They are all brilliant , born as learned adults trained and ready for combat , they share same conceusness and they are all (except for nightmare court) neutral good (D&D term ;) )

Such thing can not last

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

From Ventari himself:

"What can you tell me about this tree?"
    "It is miraculous! To believe that all of this began as a seed that Ronan gave me.... He is an old acquaintance, one of the soldiers who fought the White Mantle who slaughtered my people. Those battles cost him his wife and daughter. In his grief, he threw down his weapon. Perhaps he was looking for escape, or a place to die, to end his suffering. There he lay a broken man, and in that moment he found the seed that would become all of this."

From Ronan:

"There was a time that I cursed this world for taking away everything that I had. But living here, I have come to understand that these memories, even those that are painful, are seeds of our identity. They shape our growth."

Their "Bible" is Ventaris Marble Tablet on which he was writing all his knowledge and wishes about peace and unity.

In GW1 is a mission in which you have to gather seeds from some plants to throw them on fertile ground so bridges can grow so you can go from the one side to the other, these seeds are garded by insects and other enemies.

In that place you are fighting the white mantles. It might be the case that Ronan found the seeds in the same place but in a cave cause according to him, there were many seeds guarded by plant creatures.

I reccomend you to read this: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Movement_of_the_World#Sylvari

It's a good read and shows in overall what a great l

It shows what a great lore surrounds this game and how well the lore between GW1 and GW2 is connected.

I personally love the sylvari lore cause it's unique.

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205
    Avatar hmmmm Tree. its a giant Tree surrounded by other trees in a forest of trees and shrubs and tree people with baby seed tree people floating around.. who are super tuff.. they are nature it self,.. but with giant swords and funky seed like lifts  in to the Deep tree city...  

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Matheusor1
    They do not procreate, the tree is the only source. Ree Soesbee confirmed that in an audio interview about the sylvari.

Life...finds a way..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

The PAle tree is not a dragon but there might be be more if you play through certain Sylvari story line you learn this and it gets you really involed in this story or at least me it did I got mad when I got to the end for beta and couldn't continue. Its a really cool story and in truth it would not be to much of a spoilier but will leave it to the op to say if he wants to here.

If the op wants to know all he needs to do is ask I have no problems at least saying if there are more or not.

Sherman's Gaming

• Blackstar347Blackstar347 Member UncommonPosts: 25

One of the sylvari storylines 10-20 from beta addressed this. "Where Life Goes so Too Should You" is the choice I'm spoiling. If you don't want to be spoiled for one of the sylvari's storylines don't highlight this spoiler

There was a sylvari who did not come from the Pale Tree but another tree entirely. I believe they mentioned the tree he came from was to the west of the pale tree meaning farther into Maguuma than what is currently in game. If we do see another pale tree it most likely won't be in at launch

Originally posted by Blackstar347

One of the sylvari storylines 10-20 from beta addressed this. "Where Life Goes so Too Should You" is the choice I'm spoiling. If you don't want to be spoiled for one of the sylvari's storylines don't highlight this spoiler

There was a sylvari who did not come from the Pale Tree but another tree entirely. I believe they mentioned the tree he came from was to the west of the pale tree meaning farther into Maguuma than what is currently in game. If we do see another pale tree it most likely won't be in at launch

Yep thats it and I cant wait to find out.

Sherman's Gaming

• Blackstar347Blackstar347 Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by nolic1      
    Yep thats it and I cant wait to find out.                                                                                                                                                                             

Sorry I kind stole the thrill of answering. I posted without asking if he actually wanted it spoiled!