Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild wars 2 left hander issue

TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

After i watched this video about mobility

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUKWeaXZeOY

I'm not sure how i can run around in circles in melee range due to I'm a lefty, I use arrow keyes with my right hand and the mouse with my left hand, i have always been kinda poor pvper in other mmos when I see people circle strafe me and bunnyjumping I can't do that, I've tried to train but it all feels so akward.

I even try the keymapper to throw around some keyes to fit my style it works in other mmos ok but in GW2 I'm struggling

Any other lefties out there that can give some advice?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Razer-Naga-Left-handed-Mouse-Gaming-Mice-for-Leftes-Left-handed-Naga-Launch-Date,15177.html

A lot of times i use double mouse clicks to move. and maybe having the buttons on your mouse from the  naga will help you out

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

I'm a righty myself, so I'm not sure how well this works, but at least it's a suggestion I guess.

Essentially mirror up the keyboard - put your movement keys at IJKL (or whatever towards the right hand side of keyboard feels most comfortable for you), and bind skill keys around that. Sure I'll take a while to get used to where all the skills are, but muscle memory would take care of that in a relatively short period of time. Or would keyboard numpad possible for movement? Remember that you can rebind just about all keys, and as far as I know modifiers (shift, alt, ctrl) can be used.

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    As a lefty myself, what I did was remap w,a,s,d,q, and e over to the number pad. It work's well for pve and I still need to tweak it a bit on launch to make myself happy with it. Hopefully this help's.
  • Being a lefty shouldn't matter.  Just hold down the mouselook button and use either left or right strafe while turning with your mouse.  The tricky part is executing skills while doing that, so you'd either need to switch from using the cursor keys to using WASD so you can hit the number keys at the same time, or get a mouse with extra programmable buttons.
  • spector_0_0spector_0_0 Member Posts: 28

Way back when (several years ago), I used to keyboard turn because I never realized that most games support movement with the mouse (just hold down the mouse buttons to move forward).  Since I discovered that, movement became "much" easier, and I just needed help incorporating strafing.  I bought a mouse with two thumb buttons.  I use the top thumb button to strafe left and the bottom thumb button to strafe right; you could switch them since you are left-handed.  It took a little practice, but now strafing while mouse moving is very easy.  I went even further and incorporated holding down the scroll wheel as my backwards movement.  I use double-clicking of each of those buttons for evading in that direction.  The only movement that is not bound to my mouse is evading forward, which is a double-tap on the "W" key; it is convenient given my hand is already placed by the 1-5 keys.

On a side note, mouse movement does hinder placement of AoE spells, so I now use the double key press to activate placement of those spells; this works much better than using your mouse click to drop the spell.

A lot of people have their own special setup, but hopefully this might give you an idea of how some of us are managing the movement in GW2.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

I had the same problem OP. Im a leftie and have no clue how other lefties use their right hand to control their mouse. Like you I have for the most part used the directional keys and they numpad for other MMOs and still do for fps games. It usually works fine for other mmos because movement is limited, you don't really have to move while casting so for example in GW1 I was pretty fast between switching from the arrows to the numpad.

Lately, Ive run into the same issue as you with newer mmos were mobility is important. I did some reasearch and found my solution on some other mmo forums. My setup is basically mapping "wasd" to "5123" in the numpad. I use 47896 as skills and also 0,period and +/-. Sometimes I need more and use the arrows themselves as skills. It took me a bit but wow it made a world of difference.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

Maybe look into a separate control pad like Cyber Snipa?

http://www.cybersnipa.com/us/gaming-keyboards/gamepad.php

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Torgrim

I'm not sure how i can run around in circles in melee range due to I'm a lefty, I use arrow keyes with my right hand and the mouse with my left hand, i have always been kinda poor pvper in other mmos when I see people circle strafe me and bunnyjumping I can't do that, I've tried to train but it all feels so akward.

I even try the keymapper to throw around some keyes to fit my style it works in other mmos ok but in GW2 I'm struggling

Physically move your keyboard about a foot to the right, and use WASD with your right hand.

That gives you everything righties have, basically.

• xalvixalvi Member Posts: 329
    Im actually going to buy a new mouse this weekend, i really want to get a bluetooth one. IDK if there are any bluetooth gaming mouses though. Any links to to a bluetooth gaming mouse will be awesome.
  • AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394

Had to retrain myself to use WASD as a left handed (mouse) gamer, for years (pre-Daggerfall) I used arrow keys. Was a terrible Melee in AoC.

Tera was basically unplayable for me with arrow keys. I had to adapt.

Really just since TSW have I gotten it down. Still unintentionally press ~, F, R, E, or CAPS LO...ck when playing. :(

It was a challenge and I hated it, feeling awkward, which led to being frustrated, and soon after to /camp. Like any habit though, you can break it and change it. Just push through the hard times, your mind will get over it.

I feel pretty good in GW2 now.

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Im a lefty also and currently use a lefty razor deathadder while waiting for the left handed naga to be made hopefully early next year i also use an old and dying ideazon fang which will soon have to be replaced with a lesser cyber snipa v2..

I have no problem circle strafing with this setup but i really want the lefty naga for all the mouse buttons..

Playing GW2..

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Thanks for all the advice guys I will try out different combos and see how it works.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• benit59benit59 Member UncommonPosts: 114

Relearning muscle memory can be a bitch. Ask any golfer after a lesson on the driving range.

I remember when the first Quake game came out and I thought to myself, "I have to aim with the mouse? How the hell am I going to do that???" I think your best bet is what a previous poster said: remap your keys. It will suck at first, but you will eventually get to where you want to be.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    im a lefty too -- helpful topic and replies
  • XPraetorianXXPraetorianX Member CommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by Torgrim

OK as a fellow lefty I unerstand I found the perfect solution. Its made by Steel Series. Its a Keybord call The Shift I love it.Add the MMO insert to it and you are good to go. Just make the MMO keys that are around the arrow keys your 1-9 or whatever. I did this for Tera. Also get the Steel Series Sensi Mouse. Its perfect for us lefty's. Both of these have awesome software. So like I have profiles set up for every game. TSW is another it wors awesome with. They are sold out on steel series website so I got mine from Amazon. The best keybord I have ever owned.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

Just learn to use classic wasd + mouse in a right hand. I know its easier said than done. Speaking as a left handed tho, it's your best option and it will save you all the trouble in future.

• Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863

I'm left-handed and use the mouse in my right hand. I don't understand why someone would think they need to do everything with their dominant hand. Hell, in an MMO so reliant on movement, you'll be doing far more with your left on the keyboard than your right on the mouse anyway.

I have to ask people who use mice in their left hands... Why? How did you learn to do it this way? I'm really trying to figure this out. I've always used it in my right hand because the mouse is positioned on the right of the keyboard. To me, it's the same reason I don't flip the keyboard upside-down so I can have the numpad on the left, then insist on "left-handed" keyboards that are already made this way.

I have to wonder if people are making a conscious effort to use their dominant hand for things instead of just using whatever hand happens to grab it first.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• AericynAericyn Member UncommonPosts: 394
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

I'm left-handed and use the mouse in my right hand. I don't understand why someone would think they need to do everything with their dominant hand. Hell, in an MMO so reliant on movement, you'll be doing far more with your left on the keyboard than your right on the mouse anyway.

I have to ask people who use mice in their left hands... Why? How did you learn to do it this way? I'm really trying to figure this out. I've always used it in my right hand because the mouse is positioned on the right of the keyboard. To me, it's the same reason I don't flip the keyboard upside-down so I can have the numpad on the left, then insist on "left-handed" keyboards that are already made this way.

I have to wonder if people are making a conscious effort to use their dominant hand for things instead of just using whatever hand happens to grab it first.

It wasn't learned - from the time I first sat down at a computer I naturally used left hand for mouse. Nothing to figure out.

I wasn't willfully saying "damn the masses I am doing it different because I am a minority!" image

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by clumsytoes44
    As a lefty myself, what I did was remap w,a,s,d,q, and e over to the number pad. It work's well for pve and I still need to tweak it a bit on launch to make myself happy with it. Hopefully this help's.

^ This works really well. I'm a left but can play both ways (I prefer right hand, just because I've basically been forced to use it since forever, and have gotten used to it because Ive been gaming since I was 8). But I'm still ALWAYS more accurate with left hand mouse, so I have one of my computers set up with left hand, one with right hand. On my left hand computer I always use numpad or arrow keys for games (GW2 would be best as numpad, because there are more than just a couple keys).

You can even toggle to camera to follow you left handed!! (its very nice that Anet added this, the majority of games don't give gamers the option.)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

agree same for me,

using mouse w left hand felt as natural as using a fork w my lefthand to eat

• dellirious13dellirious13 Member Posts: 205
    Originally posted by Aericyn

It wasn't learned - from the time I first sat down at a computer I naturally used left hand for mouse. Nothing to figure out.

I wasn't willfully saying "damn the masses I am doing it different because I am a minority!" image

Yep...I learned mostly on my right hand, and I'm still better at aiming in FPSes, etc with my left hand....it feels awkward at times, but once I get warmed up I have pinpoint accuracy, whereas right handed I need to concentrate more to get the same accuracy.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

you kidding? Of course because I eat, write, brush my teeth with my left hand so I naturally moved the mouse with the left hand. It wasn't like it was glued to the right side of the keyboard, not sure how you can't fathem that.

You wonder why people use their DOMINANT hand for things instead of using whatever hand is closest? I believe it has to do with the fact that its the dominant hand, which you have more control and precision with.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

The mouse is not "positioned on the right of the keyboard" as you put it. You mostly see it on the right of the keyboard because most people are right handed. Every left handed person I know has the mouse on the left on their keyboard and uses their left hand to move it....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I'm a lefty, I don't have this problem. I've heard it from other lefties, though. I've been using a mouse right handed since I was a child though, I suppose I've just gotten used to it. I've tried using it in my left hand, and it feels foreign and awkward. That sort of illustrates a point though, people adapt to situations with repetition regardless of things like 'handedness'. 

In other words, just get used to it ;p You could buy a left-handed mouse, but I'm too cheap to consider that a worthwhile investment. I also tend to move with WASD, which might help, since my left hand IS quicker on the KB than my right is on the mouse. During battle, my mouse hand is usually just aiming the camera, all my movement and skill usage takes place in my left hand.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by stragen001

The mouse is not "positioned on the right of the keyboard" as you put it. You mostly see it on the right of the keyboard because most people are right handed. Every left handed person I know has the mouse on the left on their keyboard and uses their left hand to move it....

I don't doubt you, but that's so strange to me, especially since the letters most often used to type are easiest reached with the left hand, maybe because KBs were made with the mouse in mind (multi-tasking). That and your most used skills are left-to-right on the KB, so left-handed mouse user's right hand would be far away from all the important stuff. Unless they use the numpad...I won't even get into house awkward that feels.

Maybe I'm the wierd one ;x

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."