Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Too Many Games

Comments

• jell0rjell0r Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by nuttob
    The bright side is at least we have plenty to pick from.  I suffer from the same problem, never focusing on any game for too long.  Whatever I'm in the mood for, I play from an ever increasing list of roughly 10 games.  I'ts all FTP or PTP's fault.

amen to that! brother (sister?)

I currently have....27 game icons on my desktop (not counting the 4 games I'm beta testing) and my steam games are way up in the 30's. I like options but the amount of fairly decent FTP stuff around (not neccessarily RPG's, tho GW2 needs to hurry up :) ) has given me way to much of a diversion

World of Tanks I really enjoy, and play ton's.. but I have games I've spent £30-40 on that I've hardly touched.

damn.. I haven't even used my PS3 in months

I've been gaming a long time and it is a good time to be a gamer, some really good titles out there and better ones coming!,

oh btw this is all IMO incase anyone was about to explode

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Exact opposite problem for me.  Too much crap on the market currently.  

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    I find the problem isn't too many games, but not enough games worth playing. I never had this problem 6 years ago. The MMO industry must have decided to take the lemmings approach and blindly throw themselves off a cliff while we frantically throw money at them to try to get them through to their next horrible decision.

What I'm Playing:

Darkwind War on Wheels
    Minecraft - Mods
    Arma 2 - Mods
    LemmingBallZ

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    You enjoy SW:TOR and WoW... It's no wonder you have too many games. A large portion of the population considers those games to be... Well not fun (no offense meant, I actually enjoyed WoW at a certain point).

Smile

• Aussie77Aussie77 Member Posts: 21

I've not really devoted any time to MMO's lately simply because RL keeps me to busy. My two biggest passions, MMA and gaming are falling by the wayside and I barely have time to do either these days.

I almost feel like I'm missing out though because a few years ago I would have been able to find the time to sample many of the current games, both console and PC MMO's, on the market. I also tend to find something enjoyable or special about a game that others think is shite, and at least I'd give it a go if it turned out to actually you know, be shite.

The only viable solution is to change the damn length of a day to 36 hours instead of 24.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    You enjoy SW:TOR and WoW... It's no wonder you have too many games. A large portion of the population considers those games to be... Well not fun (no offense meant, I actually enjoyed WoW at a certain point).

A large portion of the MMO population? Or a large portion of the MMORPG.com population?

Clarity may be necessary for a statement such as that.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I only play MMORPGs so there's not enough of them imo. I haven't had an mmo to play that was decent in over 2 years. In that time I briefly played SWTOR (less than a month) and was in several beta testings for games. Finally, GW2 comes out soon and PS2 is in beta. I finally have 2 good mmo's I can play, even though PS2 is sorta a mmofps. There are not enough GOOD MMORPG's.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I agree with Pokket and she didn't even address the huge backlog of non-MMOs she/we all probably have. There are a lot of fun games to be played!!
  • MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by Psychow
    I agree with Pokket and she didn't even address the huge backlog of non-MMOs she/we all probably have. There are a lot of fun games to be played!!

True :)

I have yet to play much of Skyrim which I plan on doing at some point.
    I mess around here and there on some of the games I have installed but I'm mostly giving myself a break until the 25th :D
    Normally, if it's a sub game and I want to play it I will for a month or so before visiting another game.
    I don't have much in the way of time constraints though ( health issues) so I can sit on my butt all day/night if I want and play.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Maybe you should quit working for MMORPG.com and streaming entirely. Then you'd have plenty of time.
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Don't have to quit, just find some peeps to delegate to or just skip over the mediocre stuff or just do them as you please, I like option 3
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    My problem is I like them all too.  I find myself on my druid in wow and thinking to myself.  i want to go blow some people up in my M110.  Then i'll be in World of Tanks getting coin to repair my M110 (which is outrageously expensive lol) and say to myself.  I want to go siege some keeps in DAoC!  So after some time and several keeps going the way of Midgard, I find myself saying,  I want to go push a lane in LoL!  Then after a few games, I find myself saying, let's go back to tanks, but I want to fly a helicopter and blow them up with heat seeking missles in BF3...I never stay with a single game in a single day lol.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i agree with you, Pokket, theres too many games i want to play. Right now im playing Allods online and RaiderZ beta while waiting for GW2, MoP, Swtor f2p, Grimlands, Otherland, Ravaged, Rift's Storm Legion, and a few more goodies....... just too many games and not enough time D:

:D

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

This site alone lists 575 MMOs and that doesn't count alot of the browser based which brings in quite a few also...... That is ALOT of games.....When I started in early 2000 I only remember a couple of MMOs being around......I know some of you refer to games like Meridian 59, but I really dont ever remember that being an option, at least not one I ever saw that could be bought in the store......With our options only being 4 or 5 games, we mainly stuck to those games for quite awhile paying a monthly sub as there weren't alot of other multi-player games back then......

Now there are too many games.....I find that I have little patience when I try a new game because it is so easy to just find something else.....Also I have little desire to pay much for a new game because I know I can always play many of them for free, and the ones that are p2p jsut aren't worth paying for IMO......Slowly some of these games will die out just due to a lack of a playerbase, but there were also be more games added in the meantime......As consumers it isn't a bad thing as we have literally tons of options, but sometimes too many choices can be a bad thing.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    I think the problem is there are too many MMOs which leads to a large population of "game hoppers" that buy every new MMO when it comes out.  Developers know these players aren't likely to stick around in their game all that long, so they develop games that are easy to get into  so as to sell a lot of boxes but offer little substance to keep players around for the long haul because most of the players won't stick around longer than a few months regardless of what your game offers to veteran players to try to keep them interested.
  • teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

A large portion of the MMO population? Or a large portion of the MMORPG.com population?

I would bet if you took the entire NA/EU playerbase that is actively playing an MMORPG, WoW and SWTOR would account for more than half of that

• Pretender00Pretender00 Member Posts: 84
    I bet there's a starving child in Africa that would love to have your problem. Instead he's too busy trying to find his next meal. No wonder people in other countries hate Americans. Blame Pokket and Sally Struthers.   :P
  • inversefluxinverseflux Member Posts: 1

This is a feeling that crops up from time to time, dating all the way back to post UO. As new games released, I felt less and less time to play UO...but that game really was the staple of my universe for a long time.

I think moving forward is easier when you can finally "break-up" with a game and "move-on". It's not so much of a relationship reference... it really is more of letting go of something you've felt you created over time. It IS getting a lot harder to do this, as I feel, the caliber of games releasing are getting better and better.

Cheers!

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by teakbois
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

I would bet if you took the entire NA/EU playerbase that is actively playing an MMORPG, WoW and SWTOR would account for more than half of that

SWTOR could possibly have less population than some ofther MMOs right now.  Not sure if anyone is holding at the 600k sub spot or not.  So I really wouldn't put SWTOR in the same category as WoW.  SWTOR is with the rest of the MMOs.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    ROFLMAO pocket I'm in the Same situation as you! I played every single mmo ever made , I have TONS of games that would make the angry video game nerd jealous, however there's only afew I played longer than afew months, Everquest , DAoC , WoW to name afew. They need to create a mmorpg that has three to four different ways of combat , gathering crafting and housing similar to what SWG had , throw that into a sandbox world with some live events , raiding and open world pvp and we got a mmorpg! However that games doesn't exists so I am playing TSW and still enjoying it very much so! Btw how is SWTOR these days?
  • Sovren1Sovren1 Member Posts: 312

So many games and so little time. So many games and not enough cash to play them all.

I have never limited myself to one genre or platform so that raises the amount of games to thousands I want to play but will never get the chance. If only I could create clones where I experience everything they do, then I may be able to get to them all.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I like to play an mmo for 2 months and then switch, right now I am playing POTBS, surprisiingly a real good game
  • VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339
    For me it's just gonna be Torchlight 2, GW2, and Borderlands 2....along with Orcs Must Die 2 which I am enjoying a lot hehe. These would last me for years until their sequals :P.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I have the same issue, would be very happy playing any one of:

Lotro, GW2, Tera, Skyrim, Darkfall, TSW, Dayz

I've unsubbed Tera and Darkfall, will soon begrudgingly unsub TSW and am ignoring Dayz and Skyrim while I play Lotro and prepare for GW2.

It comes down to the social aspects when all is said and done, playing Lotro with my kinship is by far the most fun and looking forward to having the same people move to GW2.

There are days when I wish I could retire early and play more often, but then I stop and think about how fortunate I am that this is the sort of "problem" I have. 

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48
    I have the same problem, but it's worse,because I've been digging out some old games. Borderlands and Diablo II were brought to mind after the Diablo III debacle. They both still rock.