Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Things you think others don't know

PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

I've just seen this type of post on a HI_REZ forum and i though it was a good idea. I will be playing the game but i'd love to see post of things that you think you are "alone" to know about this game.

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Might want to have a spoiler warning.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I certainly wouldn't presume to know something that nobody else knows about the game, but I'm sure I encountered some stuff that many players may still be unaware of.

The "deposit all collectables" feature under the gear symbol on your bags tab was made available in BWE3, and while many players discovered it and shared the news, I'm sure some are still unaware.  It's quite brilliant really.  

Another feature I noticed for the first time this past stress test was that crafting stations now featured tabs for your bank and your collectibles bank.  So you no longer had to travel back and forth from the crafting booths to your bank to deposit and withdraw materials.  This may have been in in BWE3 as well and I just wouldn't have noticed.  I don't think I crafted during that BWE.  

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    1. All non-crafted crafting materials (basically, anything you haven't put through a crafting terminal, with a couple exceptions) are considered Collection items. These can be send instantly to your bank via right clicking-Send to Collections or clicking the gear and sending all collection items to the bank.
    2. The collections tab in the bank holds 250 of each possible item.This gives you a massive amount of space for material storage.
    3. Unless you are really hurting for coin, salvage everything you can't use. Maybe even if you are. I expect crafting mats will be a high-ticket item on the market. 
    4. Thus, you should try to always have salvage items on hand, the best you can.
    5. Have and equip some gathering tools, even if you dn't play to craft much. Materials are all over, and you're bound to run into tons just running around doing things.
    6. As of the newer stress tests, there's a checkbox next to your helm to show/hide it. Much more intuitive than the old way., Bravo Anet!
    7. Stop playing the game like it's an MMO. Especially if you're melee. Imagine you're playing Dynasty Warriors or God of War on Insane difficulty. You don't want to be hit. This game is based on a combat model where you are supposed to actively avoid taking damage 99% of the time.
    8. Abilities like block/distortion/blind work on nearly any attack, ranged, melee, or magic. this means you can use a melee range distortion ability to evade a ranged attack. Confirmed working as of last stress test.

That's all I have for now. If I think of more I'll come back. 
  • ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483

Anet is crazy when it comes to details, i saw this one on reddit some time ago and maybe you guys wanna check it out i think this is a nice touch.

Guild Wars 2 (guns and bullet casing sounds) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdOpLXC5cLU

• There's an option in the inventory UI to make all your bags look like 1 big bag.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    dodge duck dip dive and dodge
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    you can set auto attack to any of your weaponskill

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Ooh ooh! More inventory stuff.

You can make bags using almsot any crafting profession (I never saw artificer or cooking ones; but that doesn't mean there aren't any)

You also can make bags that "lock" items in them...meaning they won't show up in the vendor menus, and you can't accidently sell things. They're fairly easy to make too...I did have to discover the recipe but it was totally worth it.

Oh and seriously, craft. Discover some recipes. You get stupid amounts of xp from it, and the gear itself is often quite good.

• NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426

When doing personal stories, be sure to explore a bit more than just the objectives.

I was doing a section of my personal story as a human, and after finishing what I had to do in the instance, I started looking around a bit. Something caught my eye (won't go into details, not wanting to spoil anything for anyone), but essentially I found out there was something more to it, I could actually react to the situation that caught my eye, do some searching around (nothing pointing to where I had to go/what I had to do), and make a difference regarding the situation. Absolutely nothing was pointing towards this possibility, just something I happened to run by out of curiosity, and I'm fairly certain it'll come back to haunt me later on during the personal story.

So keep your eyes open, and search for the stuff that isn't so obvious. :)

• PanteraRosaPanteraRosa Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Pouf

I've just seen this type of post on a HI_REZ forum and i though it was a good idea. I will be playing the game but i'd love to see post of things that you think you are "alone" to know about this game.

Donating for a KEI

Originally posted by Nefera

When doing personal stories, be sure to explore a bit more than just the objectives.

I was doing a section of my personal story as a human, and after finishing what I had to do in the instance, I started looking around a bit. Something caught my eye (won't go into details, not wanting to spoil anything for anyone), but essentially I found out there was something more to it, I could actually react to the situation that caught my eye, do some searching around (nothing pointing to where I had to go/what I had to do), and make a difference regarding the situation. Absolutely nothing was pointing towards this possibility, just something I happened to run by out of curiosity, and I'm fairly certain it'll come back to haunt me later on during the personal story.

So keep your eyes open, and search for the stuff that isn't so obvious. :)

Also, think before you speak to NPCs in PS quests. There's one in the human street rat chain that I know for a fact you can choose to either keep alive or kill, and they do show up in later PS if you let them live. Not sure how much of an impact it has either way, but you do have choices and they do matter.

Also, talk to NPCs even if they aren't obvious quest givers. Sometimes they trigger DEs; sometimes you have charm/ferocity/dignity speech options, and you'll never know if you don't talk to them. Raising those stats affects how certain other conversations play out, so be on the lookout for them.

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_clrndx_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbWn6740JOg&feature=plcp

I also thought this one was pretty cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9AqH4XFfbM

One time I was exploring Black Citadel (Charr area) when I heard these two NPCs say the following:

"I heard that the beer is watered down"

"Yes it's true"

At the time I payed no attention to this simply because I figured it was just random NPC chatter. A couple hours later I decided to make a charr character and in the personal story, my character is told that is a SECRET CODE used by the flame legion hideout. I was thinking to myself "OMG I HEARD THAT BEFORE!!!"

• You get a different heal/utility skill bar when underwater.  So feel free to change your heal/utility skills to suit underwater combat.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    • Bonuses to healing boost the rate you revive someone.  This is why professions that tend to stack it like Guardians can res so fast.
    • A Guardian can trigger stability and damage immunity while knocking someone back and ressing a person before anyone can down them, making them ridiculously overpowered in SPvP.
    • Spirits summoned by Rangers can tank MOBs if you bring them near the Spirits.  A Spirit Ranger can serve as the main tank (and healer) in explorable zones even though there isn't suppose to be a "main tank" due to pets and spirits.  Kinda like a Ritualist in GW.  Absolutely overpowered in PvE.
    • Condition specs do more damage than power/crit specs especially in SPvP where players have high toughness.  Rangers have the best condition spec damage build in the game, but it's very glass cannon.
    • Spirit Rangers and Guardians are unkillable in 1v1 if specced properly due to high toughness/condition removal and over 1k passive regeneration from heals.  They stalemate each other.
    • Hyena pets can summon another hyena pet.  Both can knockdown making these the best pets for CC.  Their damage was nerfed in the recent patch though.
    • Many people don't consider condition duration boosts when thereocrafting for their hard CC.  Keep in mind that things like daze and knockdown ARE effected by increased condition duration.
    • Since you cannot see a certain distance away, having someone in your group/guild/alliance serve as a spotter for Mortars and Trebuchets are handy for hitting targets out of your visual range.
    • Bastilla shots will miss you if you strafe while charging at them as they shoot at the point the player was during the shot time and do not account for player movement and the slow projectile speed.
    • You can use your leap skills defensively by detargetting all targets.
    • You can use leap skills to scale (downward only) areas of a cliff you may not have been able to reach otherwise.
    • Condition damage is not reduced by toughness.
    • If you have a healing utility skill for land and a different one for underwater when you go underwater they each have seperate cooldowns, so you can pop underwater for a quick heal in WvWvW or PvE when there is water nearby which can easily turn the tides of a battle.
  • MadKingMadKing Member UncommonPosts: 173
    Originally posted by Sixpax
    There's an option in the inventory UI to make all your bags look like 1 big bag.

I honestly did not know that O_O

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by Magnum2103
    • Bonuses to healing boost the rate you revive someone.  This is why professions that tend to stack it like Guardians can res so fast.
    • A Guardian can trigger stability and damage immunity while knocking someone back and ressing a person before anyone can down them, making them ridiculously overpowered in SPvP.
    • Spirits summoned by Rangers can tank MOBs if you bring them near the Spirits.  A Spirit Ranger can serve as the main tank (and healer) in explorable zones even though there isn't suppose to be a "main tank" due to pets and spirits.  Kinda like a Ritualist in GW.  Absolutely overpowered in PvE.
    • Condition specs do more damage than power/crit specs especially in SPvP where players have high toughness.  Rangers have the best condition spec damage build in the game, but it's very glass cannon.
    • Spirit Rangers and Guardians are unkillable in 1v1 if specced properly due to high toughness/condition removal and over 1k passive regeneration from heals.  They stalemate each other.
    • Hyena pets can summon another hyena pet.  Both can knockdown making these the best pets for CC.  Their damage was nerfed in the recent patch though.
    • Many people don't consider condition duration boosts when thereocrafting for their hard CC.  Keep in mind that things like daze and knockdown ARE effected by increased condition duration.
    • Since you cannot see a certain distance away, having someone in your group/guild/alliance serve as a spotter for Mortars and Trebuchets are handy for hitting targets out of your visual range.
    • Bastilla shots will miss you if you strafe while charging at them as they shoot at the point the player was during the shot time and do not account for player movement and the slow projectile speed.
    • You can use leap skills to scale (downward only) areas of a cliff you may not have been able to reach otherwise.
    • If you have a healing utility skill for land and a different one for underwater when you go underwater they each have seperate cooldowns, so you can pop underwater for a quick heal in WvWvW or PvE when there is water nearby which can easily turn the tides of a battle.

This was fun to read, since you look kinda elitist type, any queues on Elementalists?

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859

Any idea if the warriors two-handed sword 'charge' ability works the same way? Might be wishful thinking on my part..

Great thread, thanks to all that have submitted, ive already learned several helpful things.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Thanks for those. I actually didn't know quite a bit of those.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Pouf

This was fun to read, since you look kinda elitist type, any queues on Elementalists?

Not much to say about them.  They are a bit of a jack of all trades profession right now.  Don't really do poorly at anything and even excel at some things.  I consider them the most balanced of the professions at the moment.

Our SPvP Elementalist tends to rage about Guardians and Rangers.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Grunties

Any idea if the warriors two-handed sword 'charge' ability works the same way? Might be wishful thinking on my part..

Great thread, thanks to all that have submitted, ive already learned several helpful things.

all non-teleport abilities work this way.

the warrior's sword 2, greatsword 3 and 5 all work for mobility.

whereas the guardian's sword 2 and thief f1 do not.

so long as you have auto targetting turned off and no target selected... you can use an ability like the greatsword 5 and your character will just run or leap forward instead of at the nearest enemy.

turning auto target off is the fastest and easiest way to get more mobility out of most any character.

• MsengeMsenge Member Posts: 90
    Dunno if this was just a beta thing but trying to wall hack in certain areas of Rata Sum can result in you being sent to prison.  I'm not even joking.  I was jumping around trying to get places I wasn't supposed to and the game ported me into the prison cell in Rata Sum.  The only way out of it was to waypoint out.  Fun detail!
  • NeferaNefera Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by Msenge
    Dunno if this was just a beta thing but trying to wall hack in certain areas of Rata Sum can result in you being sent to prison.  I'm not even joking.  I was jumping around trying to get places I wasn't supposed to and the game ported me into the prison cell in Rata Sum.  The only way out of it was to waypoint out.  Fun detail!

So that's what the empty one was for...

• PalmyCloudPalmyCloud Member Posts: 79

You receive player and quest mail whereever you are.

You can access the auction house from everywhere. (Though you have to pick it up at a trading post)

There is a /LFG command, though I do not know what it does...

• Originally posted by Magnum2103
    • ... Rangers have the best condition spec damage build in the game, but it's very glass cannon.

These are very subjective.  I certainly don't believe any spec is "unkillable" in 1v1.  Very difficult to kill sure, but unkillable?

• sofbertsofbert Member UncommonPosts: 52

One time I was exploring Black Citadel (Charr area) when I heard these two NPCs say the following:

"I heard that the beer is watered down"

"Yes it's true"

At the time I payed no attention to this simply because I figured it was just random NPC chatter. A couple hours later I decided to make a charr character and in the personal story, my character is told that is a SECRET CODE used by the flame legion hideout. I was thinking to myself "OMG I HEARD THAT BEFORE!!!"

I did that Charr story (Ash Legion I think it was) so this is pretty awesome, indeed. This thread is fantastic.  Umm...  don't have much to add but..

• Necromancer staff is pretty potent compared to the other weapons, that I noticed. Small aoe abilities that work great on 2-3 mobs at once
    • Proably already known, but for crafting, discovery is key to leveling crafts quickly. The recipes are easy to discover once you learn the pattern, and you'll want to discover all the types (VIT/Crit/Precision/Power/etc) for each type of gear. Each discovery will raise your craft a few levels.