Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How successful will this game be?

124»

Comments

• XtenXten Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I voted on the third option down.  That's my safest bet for the time being.

Just FYI, right now, if you judge success by most subs ever had....SWTOR is the most successful MMO post WoW.  I don't think it will be difficult for GW2 to beat SWTOR ;).

Actually that would be Aion with 3 million subs ;)

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Dont matter will it beat WoW or not. WoW is todays kids game, it was more mature before expasion packs. 
  • DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Originally posted by Teala

This is dumb.  GW2 is buy to play.  WoW has a sub.    A game with no subs required will never technically lose any subs.   I think the best way to judge how well this game does to see how many initial box sells it has and then check to see how many box sells it has at the 6 month mark and the 12th month mark.  

This is true.  If we just go on box sales then GW2 may be very successful indeed, but in active player numbers... well we will see. I think a lot of people will return to WoW with the expansion for one reason or another and will find something to dislike about GW2. So while it will sell a lot of copies it will be interesting to see how many of those stick around.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

While I realize GW2 is most likely a very well made game, and it seems quite a few people are looking forward to its release, I am just not interested. I know there are many like me out there and I know many disagree with my opinion. I seriously hope it does well as I have not really ever wished a game would flop.

I hope it does well, and I hope it really is as innovative as some claim it is. Hopefully it will raise the bar at which game companies release future games.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by Teala

This is dumb.  GW2 is buy to play.  WoW has a sub.    A game with no subs required will never technically lose any subs.   I think the best way to judge how well this game does to see how many initial box sells it has and then check to see how many box sells it has at the 6 month mark and the 12th month mark.  

I think what you meant to say is compare how many box sales it has at launch with the box sales of the first expansion and so on.

WoW expansion sales always mirrored their current subscribers as current players will of course want to buy the new xp, new payer will usually get both and ex-player will not buy the expansion.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by BadSpock

GW2 is going to be a major, major player in the MMO genre and a "game-changer" in terms of shaping the future of this genre.

That being said, nothing is going to straight up "kill WoW" but WoW itself - and that's just a combination of time and age and limitations of their design.

If GW2 ever has more players than WoW it won't be till after another couple of years at least.

It's a 2 month buy to play game that's paper thin with a cash shop that sells stat boost.... It will replace SC2 as a change of pace game. Imo...

Please explain why you use the expression 'paper thin' IF you can?

My son's pet rabbit could work out GW2 is deep with detail, playability and content - after seeing only 5% of the online evidence - never mind actually playing it in the BWEs....

I keep saying it, but 'imo' isn't a justification for making baseless statements, it's an excuse.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by agnostic4eve

While I realize GW2 is most likely a very well made game, and it seems quite a few people are looking forward to its release, I am just not interested. I know there are many like me out there and I know many disagree with my opinion. I seriously hope it does well as I have not really ever wished a game would flop.

I hope it does well, and I hope it really is as innovative as some claim it is. Hopefully it will raise the bar at which game companies release future games.

THIS is how to say 'I don't like it' in a reasonable fashion without any facts - Trolls take note.

*applauds*

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

Its going to be another step forward for MMO's but it wont be a groundbreaker. In terms of popularity everyone can already see its more popular with adults and the kids go elsewhere.

Can I get a woot woot?

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

voted it will surpass wow in all dimensions for all time in all ways.

simply because if i'm going to pretend i can see the future i may as well pretend interesting things happen there.

but still.. i'm not one of those strange people who feels just because WOW is the most successful MMORPG ever that somehow means no game can or will ever surpass it.  a simple look at history shows that isn't necessarily a trend, but even if it were divining the future from it would be overextrapolation.

blah blah blah cheers!