Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The lag was gone. Completely.

13»

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Yes the graphic engine was polished and smooth !

• chopgrchopgr Member Posts: 179
    Originally posted by donjn

I wish you people would stop mentioning lag and FPS together. They have very little to do with each other.

These days with the new MMO breed of players who don't know much about computers, anytime you see them talk about lag, you can bet they are talking about framerate performance.

You are only too true about it.

But i think it cant be helped. Everything gets watered down and homogenized as the times goes forward, language, terms, anything.

And then its becoming pretty hard to tell what the other person means and wants to say.

Me, im a late bird and didnt check out any of the BETA runs, but after the "fiasco" of SWTOR's graphical engine, being slow (CPU/GPU working at 50% or bellow load, providing the worse FPS ever seen in a game) and the "ability lag", im hoping that GW will actual run as it should on my i5 2500k + GTX580.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chopgr?feature=mhee

"The Heavens burned, the stars
    cried out
    And under the ashes of infinity,
    Hope, scarred and bleeding,
    breathed its last."

• DawnstarDawnstar Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Nolag for me either.  The funny thing is that after a while on Friday I got tired of the lag, signed off, then signed onto GW1 to do a vanquish and got the same exact effect.  Guess they were doing a stress test there as well? ;)
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

My fps actually goes down every BWE because my cpu is way stronger then my gpu :D

For some reason my fps did went up alot with the stress test yesterday.. so not sure what they changed :D

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81

lowered resolution and settings, but fps remained unchanged.

19-25 fps on ultra and lowest, cpu usage 90-100% while gpu 30-48%

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by legendsolo

What are your specs?

• legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by heartless

What are your specs?

AMD A8-3870K (3.2 ghz)

Radeon hd 7770 (1gb)

8gb ram

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by heartless

What are your specs?

AMD A8-3870K (3.2 ghz)

Radeon hd 7770 (1gb)

8gb ram

That's strange. I'm running the game at 40+ FPS on a i7 920 2.6 ghz (not OC), Nvidia GTX 460 SE and 6GB ram. This is on max settings and 1920x1080 resolution, except for shadows which I have at high instead of ultra and render, which I have at default. I also never have vsync on. I rarely notice the difference and vsync really impacts your fps.

It may be a driver issue.

• illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

Originally posted by Dawnstar
    Nolag for me either.  The funny thing is that after a while on Friday I got tired of the lag, signed off, then signed onto GW1 to do a vanquish and got the same exact effect.  Guess they were doing a stress test there as well? ;)

No. ANET had an internet connection problem in their NA datacenter that affected both GW1 and GW2, but didnt affect EU servers at all. It wasnt part of the stress test.

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Wizardry

For my own knowledge why would some escape the culling  problem and others are not?

This culling problem sounds like a real issue,should A-Net not have delayed until it is fixed?If Umbra was failing,that means A-Net KNEW about it and still cheated the fans by releasing an unready product.

I do not understand how the old setup would have caused fps issues as that is what culling does it HELPS fps.So it sounds like that Umbra wasn't working at all and neither is the new code but only for some,which like i said makes no sense.

To me it sounds like culling is not working period,those with really high end machines can load scenes  fast and won't have any issues or need culling,those with low end or those that can't handle a heavty cpu and or gpu load will have the loading issues.Obviously some areas will have a lot more loading than others,so again it will vary from player to player.

Either way A-Net needs to respond with an answer as to why they released it in an unfit state.They obviously knew of the problem so not cool.

There was a bug at the driver level that was causing Umbra to hang the rendering process. We are talking milliseconds, but enough, per frame, to really slow down frame rates. Arenanet switched to the software based, cpu bound culling method as a fall back. Hopefully, they can get NVidia, AMD and Intel to all push drivers that will fix the bug and allow the hardware based Umbra system to be used. However, turn around time from the GPU manufacturers is unpredictable.

NVidia has a driver in development to improve GW2 performance, but I don't know if it includes this fix specifically. If they waited for this to be solved at the driver level, it could be months, or even never, depending on whether or not all three manufacturers are willing to make the fix and prioritize it.

We are talking about a cosmetic issue with the occassional disappearing objects/terrain. In many areas of the game, it happens extremely rarely, if at all. They can tweak individual areas to eliminate the issue, probably by flagging some objects with a culluing exclusion and/or breaking larger objects down into smaller objects. That's why they've been asking people to submit bug reports from the location of such occurances, with a screen shot.

Hopefully, by launch, the software method will be much better tuned and there will be very few issues. It looks like NVidia may have drivers that may allow the use of Umbra, with out the performance hit, fairly soon, but maybe not in time for launch. If it really bothers someone, there is the command line option to revert to using the GPU based Umbra culling method. No more disappearing terrain, but performance will be worse. (With the Umbra command line tag, my FPS where back around where they were for BWE1. About 40% slower than when using the software culling, but still very playable. If BWE1 was playable on particular hardware, then the game should be just as playable with the -umbra gpu command line tag).

It's not a game breaking issue. No need to delay launch over it. It is too bad, though, that the issue couldn't have been identified much earlier. Optimization almost always comes near the end of a project and you don't always know what you will find when the process begins. At least Arenanet moved very quickly to develop an alternative, so that they wouldn't be at the mercy of the GPU manufacturers for a solution or work around!

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated