Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 music is below expectations.

Comments

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA I still think that Age of Conan reigns supreme on soundtrack for an MMORPG.
    EVE Online.

EVE had some very ominous tracks and the theme from AoC was pretty good. I don't like either game nor hardly played them. Yet they were more memorable than what every track I just listened to in Guild Wars 2.

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Dont know the music in GW 1 was nice to listen to,and wasnt so memorable and u know whats good about not being memorable ? is that u get fun to listen to the music again and again and again,beause each time u hear,U feel like hear it for the first time,isnt it just better to hear good music,as u just now firstly heared it ? instead of it being annoying and memorable ;)? well thats just my opinion GW 2 music sounds pretty nice.. and it wont keep me boring cuz it will always be renewed each time I will listen to it.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

that jumbled mess you're hearing is called "polyphony"

its when 2 distinct melodies share the space.  this song in particular is built around this theme of fading one musical texture into another. 

some people do not like it.

some people do.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7DQRtf15qg

James Horner.

There's a guy who can write a hell of a good song. 

The Willow soundtrack is some of the most gorgeous Fantasy music to ever be composed.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by AzurePrower

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA I still think that Age of Conan reigns supreme on soundtrack for an MMORPG.
    EVE Online.

EVE had some very omnious tracks and the theme from AoC was pretty good. I don't like either game nor hardly played them. Yet they were more memorable than what every track I just listened to in Guild Wars 2.

The music from GW2 is sort of a homage to music in GW1. Anyone who played the first game will immediate recognize some of the music. I like it. It does the trick. With that said, I generally tend to turn off the music anyway and play my own stuff. No matter how good of a sountrack the game has, it gets old eventually.

EVE Online.
      EVE had some very omnious tracks and the theme from AoC was pretty good. I don't like either game nor hardly played them. Yet they were more memorable than what every track I just listened to in Guild Wars 2.
    The music from GW2 is sort of a homage to music in GW1. Anyone who played the first game will immediate recognize some of the music. I like it. It does the trick. With that said, I generally tend to turn off the music anyway and play my own stuff. No matter how good of a sountrack the game has, it gets old eventually.

I played Guild Wars 1 and did every thing that was worth doing up to the underworld explorable dungeons. The music in that game was also forgettable.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878
    Originally posted by Jagarid
    Originally posted by cloud8521
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

I'm one of the few who's never been a fan of Jeremy Soule.

I first got frustrated with his music during Icewind Dale.

I think his music is of very high quality in producdtion, but I think he's an extremely Drab and Boring composer.  His music is generally always dull and mundane. Forgettable.

And... he's monopolozing the gaming industry these days.  So its pretty difficult, ny impossible to get away from him.

I still think that Age of Conan reigns supreme on soundtrack for an MMORPG.

i would hardly call his work  dull or mundane.

I think the issue some people have with it that makes them call it dull and forgettable is that a lot of his music in games is designed to add atmosphere and mood without actually distracting you from the game itself.  Which means you don't necessarily even notice the music unless you intentionally try to pay attention to it.  

That is, however, the whole point of a sound track (in both movies and games), so it means he's doing a good job.   Some people want to really notice the music, however, so they might call it dull and forgettable because of that.   Just my theory on it.

no thats  basic game  music theory.  to be noticed only slightly and not  umpead  gmeplay or outdo the rest of the  sound effects. you dont want to confuse the player's sense of hearing when playing impeading their ability to play effectively.  even so  these scores show a range of emotion and tempo.  the music can show how the state of affairs in places and  races. hell it can tell a story and most of these do!

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    This idea that everything has to be memorable to be good doesn't mesh well with the way I tend to critique music. Elvis is memorable, but I'm not really a big fan of his music. I'm just not sure that saying something is "forgettable" really does a whole lot to describe why you might not like something.
  • saden99saden99 Member Posts: 4

There's a reason that such vastly different genres of music exist...some people like classical music, jazz, funk, etc while others have a very specific or distinct taste. There are very few composers and artists that could be considered universally liked, but when you play video games like GW2 that have a fantasy setting you have to realize that your choice of music is going to be rather limited.

For instance something like rap or country in a fantasy game just takes away from the atmosphere while a more instrumental approach tends to draw you in which is the point when you make a highly graphical game.

IMO, Soule has done a great job with both Guild Wars and continues to do a great job. His "monopoly" of the gaming music has to do mainly with his talent and his connections. Not to mention that he does a good job...you might not like the music, but I'm betting more people like it then dislike it.

It's no different than the rather small group of composers for movie music. Some people like the music and for others it leaves a bad taste in their mouths.

Then there are people that listen to Brahms or Liszt with a sick little cringe and a twisted expression of despair on their face. Those people must be deaf and are not listening at all, but rather watching Nancy Grace flap those pieces of bacon she calls lips.

Edit: Also...stop calling it forgettable while thinking that means ANYTHING. When people say something like "your face is forgettable," I immediately think "who the f**k is this?" I "forget" music all the time...the nice part is when I re-discover it and then I just forget it again because there's so much  music out there it's almost inconceivable. Sit down with pen and paper and try to describe in some other words exactly why you don't like it then post here again with those thoughts. Otherwise...you're trolling if you keep responding with the word "forgettable".

Originally posted by colddog04
    This idea that everything has to be memorable to be good doesn't mesh well with the way I tend to critique music. Elvis is memorable, but I'm not really a big fan of his music. I'm just not sure that saying something is "forgettable" really does a whole lot to describe why you might not like something.

There are times emotions and feelings are driven by music. Using movies as an example. Star Wars has some very powerful and beautifully composed orchestral pieces.

The music in Guild Wars 2 is like your run of the mill movie orchestral pieces. It's there in the background, but isn't note worthy or memorable. Which is quite a let down.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

There are times emotions and feelings are driven by music. Using movies as an example. Star Wars has some very powerful and beautifully composed orchestral pieces.

The music in Guild Wars 2 is like your run of the mill movie orchestral pieces. It's there in the background, but isn't note worthy or memorable. Which is quite a let down.

I just disagree with you when you imply that it's not moving or emotional. I think it is. Especially when I listen to it as a whole piece as he threads themes throughout.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

EVE Online.

I played Guild Wars 1 and did every thing that was worth doing up to the underworld explorable dungeons. The music in that game was also forgettable.

It's a matter of opinion. Some people like it, some don't. The good thing is that you're not forced to listen to it.

Personally, I don't like the music in the Star Wars films. it does the trick but it does nothing for me.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Guild Wars 2 Main theme

Is any one else a little underwhelmed by the music of Guild Wars 2? I haven't been listening to it much until recently. How ever once I did. Some one used one word to describe it as 'forgettable' and I'm inclined to agree.

As the example above. It started out good until 10 seconds in where it became a jumbled mess

really? at 10?

Where the main theme is then truncated and becmes the harmonic background in order to bring in the second theme?

I suggested you study a bit more music and then give a second listen.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • starstar Member Posts: 1,101

I just disagree with you when you imply that it's not moving or emotional. I think it is. Especially when I listen to it as a whole piece as he threads themes throughout.

This is sadly the issue with music, especially when it's attempting to set a scene or evoke an emotion; it's all subjective and changes person to person.

That said, you have no taste :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU69IwnF_ZI <- is possibly one of the greatest peices of music ever written/preformed for a video game :|

• JagaridJagarid Member UncommonPosts: 415

I think his music is of very high quality in producdtion, but I think he's an extremely Drab and Boring composer.  His music is generally always dull and mundane. Forgettable.

And... he's monopolozing the gaming industry these days.  So its pretty difficult, ny impossible to get away from him.

I think the issue some people have with it that makes them call it dull and forgettable is that a lot of his music in games is designed to add atmosphere and mood without actually distracting you from the game itself.  Which means you don't necessarily even notice the music unless you intentionally try to pay attention to it.  

That is, however, the whole point of a sound track (in both movies and games), so it means he's doing a good job.   Some people want to really notice the music, however, so they might call it dull and forgettable because of that.   Just my theory on it.

no thats  basic game  music theory.  to be noticed only slightly and not  umpead  gmeplay or outdo the rest of the  sound effects. you dont want to confuse the player's sense of hearing when playing impeading their ability to play effectively.  even so  these scores show a range of emotion and tempo.  the music can show how the state of affairs in places and  races. hell it can tell a story and most of these do!

Umm, Cloud, that's exactly what I said (or at least what I meant to say), why did you open your reply with "no" if you agreed with me. lol

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266
    This music gives epic vibes... So i have to disagree with OP. Some people do feel that its not appealing (and its okay for them - you wont sit a lot on login screen, this isnt WoW with each weekend maintenance). But i feel its absoultely awesome - it can for sure rival WoW's epic vanilla login music.
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    I can understand not liking it, the complete subjectivity of musical tastes in mind, but... jumbled?

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

Umm, Cloud, that's exactly what I said (or at least what I meant to say), why did you open your reply with "no" if you agreed with me. lol

read it again. i never disagreed with you.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Music, like art, is so subjective. To some the Guild Wars soundtrack is forgetable, to others such as myself it is one of the best game soundtracks out there.

Different strokes for different folks. I mean I cannot stand the Final Fantasy soundtracks but a lot of people like them, to each their own.

• saden99saden99 Member Posts: 4

The music in something like Star Wars matched the huge paradigm shift that the movie cultivated. The composer had enormous inspiration and talent. Not to mention that it is connected to some of the most famous and widely known movies of all time (I'm sure that didn't make it un-forgettable?...).

You honestly should not expect an epic movie score in a game. Different audience, different tastes, different composers and different resources available to them.

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    I love it, but I'm a fan of most of Jeremy Soule's work.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I know everybody loves this guy (Jeremy Soule) but his music is just so...formulaic. I guess I just don't find his music very interesting. It does what its supposed to do i guess. I tried to bandwagon his music when people were hyping him up a year or so ago around here. After going through tons of his work on youtube, I came to the conclusion that his style doesn't speak to me like it does others.

• chopgrchopgr Member Posts: 179

Here is the entire playlist on Youtube for those that want to listen to more than the title screen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAOe-WNiQLY&feature=BFa&list=SPEEE67656836AE1B1

Its keep playing and playing, i love the music!

Thanx for the link dood!

http://www.youtube.com/user/chopgr?feature=mhee

"The Heavens burned, the stars
    cried out
    And under the ashes of infinity,
    Hope, scarred and bleeding,
    breathed its last."

• ButregenyoButregenyo Member UncommonPosts: 483
    OP you are really, but seriously really the first person on earth i saw that didnt like that piece by Jeremy Soule. Music in GW2 is like a whole different aspect that wins the game. 

Originally posted by Butregenyo
    OP you are really, but seriously really the first person on earth i saw that didnt like that piece by Jeremy Soule. Music in GW2 is like a whole different aspect that wins the game. 

I'm not much of a conformist. I do love my game music. But Jeremy Soule just doesn't quite sell it. It feels text book run of the mill. Perhaps it is because I've heard better music and am spoiled? Therefore my ears crave for some thing more satisfying.