Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMORPG.com Buzzwords and Overused Phrases collection

Comments

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161
    Progression
    Treadmill
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Meowhead
    How about 'console gaming' or any iteration thereof where it's suggested that an MMORPG is how it is because of console games and those who play them?

I know what you're talking about but I can't for the life of me think of the phrases or was it's been used. I need some help here - "console crowd"?  I'm drawing an odd blank here for some reason.

console gamer maybe? maybe it's what's being referred to with 'for the msses'

Also see stylized thrown about quite a bit pre a games launch, to defend ctriticism of a games look.(see the swtor forums pre launch)

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Timesink.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• rissiesrissies Member Posts: 161
    Oh and carrots.
    Carrots are important.
    Traditional, old school.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Biodrones

Biofail

FFA Full Loot

RMAH

Kung-Fu Panda

Word of Pandacraft

Its in the lore

!!!!!111111111

You win the internetz

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Rohn

You've just helped prove the point.  It's an MMORPG.com community buzzword.

If a game has a cash shop, how often does someone from the MMORPG.com community call it Pay 2 Win, whether it is or not?  That's right, every fucking time.

Thus, shitty buzzword commonly used by a horrendous community.  That's what's being idenfified here.

You seem to be confused and that is understandable, since developers/publishers use the buzzword F2P every chance they get. 

P2W is not a buzzword, but technical jargon.   It accurately describes the payment model as a way for players to advance their characters.   It doesn't have anything to do with how much/what, but just the fact that advancement is possible with a microtransaction.

Why is F2P a buzzword?  Simply because it hides the fact that money can be used as an option to advance your character.   Another simple way to test for buzzwords is to try and describe the payment model to a good friend.

In good conscience, how would you describe LOTRO; " free to play " or " free to play, but with the option to purchase items from the cash shop " ?

Same could be said about GW2.  Is it a game that is " buy and play for free ", or " buy and have the option to purchase items from a cash shop "

+++++++++++++++++++

I'm surprised " Go back to WOW " never made the list.

' v sandbox' ,' I'm a sandboxer'

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

I'm surprised everyone missed the most obvious overused word. You know, the one that spawns these posts that say "FAIL game, SP co-op, not "true"...

MMO

Others... fully interactive, your own adventure,

Oh and for those marketeers I know they love to include "visceral combat".

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Only found two threads with 'sandboxer' and one with 'visceral combat'

Visceral was recently in an article, btw, and was used exactly how you called it - A dev describing his game (AoC).

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• vonoddzvonoddz Member UncommonPosts: 18
    McDonalds
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

"sub numbers"

"end game"

"holy trinity"

"time sink"

"e-sport"

"e-peen"

"{insert title here} is not an mmo"

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86

"slap in the face"

Love that one when nerfs happen, or anyting that is preceived to have been done injustly to a certain segment of players...

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Cater to the casuals

wow kiddies

drones

leet

Elitist

lowest common denominator

Dumbed down

Community

(not sure if some of these are repeats)

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Refreshing: it usually isn't.

Miracle Patch / Jesus Patch: used by critics to blow a patch out of proportion

"Too little, too late.": it's usually neither.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424

I am to lazy to type all these, so here.

http://www.oed.com/

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    • Lackluster - Useful when describing features or systems (ie. combat, graphics) of a game other than your current favorite.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Any of these words used in marketing campaigns:

• Heroic
    • Epic
    • Iconic
    If I see these words getting thrown around in interviews, it makes me think the game is headed towards an inevitable shutdown that can only be described by these other "ic" words:
    • Apocalyptic
    • Cataclysmic
    • Titanic

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Spoonfeeding should be next in line to handholding and dumbed-down.

Hotkey-based is the other side of the coin to action-based combat, and twitch is often used for the latter. 

game-X-drone is pretty common these days too.

Also the non-descriptive HUGE. Or, more precisely, HUUUUUUUUUGE!!!!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Sandbox & themepark

And the ever-popular "it's not a REAL sandbox"...{insert ten or more pages about what that means and to whom}...

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• taulutussitaulutussi Member Posts: 37

- Hater

- Doom & gloomers

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Sandbox & themepark

And the ever-popular "it's not a REAL sandbox"...{insert ten or more pages about what that means and to whom}...

TRUE [insert word here]

like MMO, sandbox etc.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Sandbox & themepark

These two are by far the most over used words here.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279
    I dont play WOW myself but...