Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The MMORPG.com Buzzwords and Overused Phrases collection

LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Thread idea came from an IceWhite post.

Feel free to sprinkle any and all of these buzzwords and oft-used phrases through out your posts to validate your stance, support your position or just troll the crap out of the rest of us.

• Immersion
  • Innovation
  • Meaningful  - it's the MMO gamer's version of marketing's "impactful"
  • Dynamic
  • Gankfest/Gank/Ganking
  • WOW clone
  • Fanboi
  • AAA
  • Grind (Asian Grind, Korean Grind, Typical Grinder, etc)
  • P2W
  • Little Johnny's Mommy and every other variation of the phrase)
  • Mass exodus
  • Fail
  • "true/real/pure" in reference to the "right" way something should be
  • Hardcore/Carebear
  • "skill"  - generates heated debates on the same magnitude of  "Are NASCAR drivers athletes?"
  • Basement Dweller - ahhh... the classics :)
  • Veteran
  • Elitist
  • Cash grab
  • Hype
  • Easy mode 
  • Entitlement
  • Hand-holding
  • Instant gratification
  • Living, breathing world
  • Single player with co-op
  • My own story
  • FOTM / flavor of the month
  • Dumbed down / Spoonfeeding
  • Epic
  • Wow-killer
  • Balance
  • Action combat / Twitch
  • Next gen
  • Catering to the console crowd
  • "kiddies"--used as a pejorative, of course. "i.e. 'wow kiddies'."
  • Messiah/Second Coming
  • Endgame
  • on rails
  • slap in the face
  • Gamechanger/Dealbreaker
  • Paradigm shift
  • Punished
  • Forced

...in no particular order. Kudos to Stragen001, colddog04, MeowHead, rissies, Serelisk, Solarine, ZekkCC, niceguy3978, Psychow, Quirhid, IceWhite, Afro-Thunder, Rockhide, Naqaj, Karahandras, Ramanadjinn, Rebelscum99, Bladestrom, and Kyleran for their contributions!

Add more! imageWill update with additional entries posted here.  If some ambitious and creative fellows would like to create definitions for them, I'll gladly update this post with those as well. This post is meant ENTIRELY as a source of amusement and entertainment, and any similarity between this post and serious discourse is purely coincidental.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
"Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Comments

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    hardcore?
  • SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
    hardcore?

This^

Zerging/Zergfest?

Also, what is Little Johnny's Mommy? lol

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    hardcore?

If you include hardcore, you have to include carebear. :D

Also, "real gamer/s" which is a particularly annoying one to me and/or "vet/veteran."  I remember when the word veteran had meaning other than someone who as posted on the mmorpg.com forums for years.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

Basement dweller

I posted this in the other thread.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    hardcore?

agreed!

any buzzword collection that includes "hardcore" but omits "carebear" lacks immersion and isn't a true buzzword collection.  this basement dweller devised collection will surely go f2p in a month.. honestly i can't see any true veteran or old-school gamer ever buying into this kind of hype.

edit: in other words, thanks OP and those contributing.. this is a fun thread.

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by niceguy3978
    hardcore?

agreed!

any buzzword collection that includes "hardcore" but omits "carebear" lacks immersion and isn't a true buzzword collection.  this basement dweller devised collection will surely go f2p in a month.. honestly i can't see any true veteran or old-school gamer ever buying into this kind of hype.

Speaking of, why isn't hype up there?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    tab targetting?
  • ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

This.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by ThemePork

This.

^-- that?

More a meme than a buzzword, no?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    How could you miss wow-killer from your buzzord list?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

This is scary.  I'm bouncing back and forth between here and a tabletop rpg forum...and the words are nearly identical.

Don't forget '(pejorative) game design'.  Like bad game design, terrible game design, slipshod game design, and so forth.

And was balance on the list?  I don't remember now.  Also 'action'.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Epic

Action combat

Story

4th pillar

B2P

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I think you left out others, 

Freemium

FTP  free to play

cash shop

• GamerUntouchGamerUntouch Member Posts: 488
    Objective and subjective
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    AAA
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Originally posted by Drakxii

EpicAction combatStory4th pillarB2P

Epic definitely needs to be on the list

Also, I challenge someone to write a (coherent) sentence using all these buzzwords. If you do, you win the internetz

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

"Sandbox" has become a way to show something in a positive light and has become a buzz word.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594
    Originally posted by stragen001

Epic

Action combat

Story

4th pillar

B2P

Epic definitely needs to be on the list Also, I challenge someone to write a (coherent) sentence using all these buzzwords. If you do, you win the internetz

For me Epic is so over used, I have started to avoid games that hype with it.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    If you have hardcore/carebear you will need wolves and sheep/llamas for all the "hardcore" pvp "vets"...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sandbox & themepark

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Here are some more:

• easy mode 
    • handholding
    • living breathing world
    • single player with co-op
    • my own story
    • FOTM / flavor of the month
    • dumbed down
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Jaded is one of my personal faves.

I can't even believe people still use "epic", though. It got stale after A New Hope released.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• DeldorDeldor Member UncommonPosts: 51
    • competitive
    • experience (not the XP for leveling up)
    But to be hostest, I don't have any problems with buzzwords.

They are useful to give an overview, and for a detailed picture, you have to explain them and give expamples.
  • LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by stragen001

Epic

Action combat

Story

4th pillar

B2P

Epic definitely needs to be on the list Also, I challenge someone to write a (coherent) sentence using all these buzzwords. If you do, you win the internetz

A well-designed B2P title with an eye towards gathering a large following would contain not only stylized action combat, but would also include strong yet optional attention to the 4th pillar in the form of a personalized story that would keep users captivated by frequent, alternate variance between moments of character focus followed by interactive combat that would be both skill-based for those who seek to master their gaming, and still simply effective enough to attract the more casual player as well all in the pursuit of an ever-expanding, epic plotline.

How's that? =D