Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 out 5 people polled on this site feel TSW is the best mmo of the past 7 years.

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It is rather pointless to have a vote on how good a newly released game is.

Any game needs some time to give us perspective to it. Some games like Eve grow on us, a vote a month or 2 after release of it would be rather negative compared to now. Other games like WAR and TOR are fun a short time but most players tire after a while.

So if you want a fair score of TSW, GW2 or any other newly releaeed or soon to be released game you need to wait a year or so after release.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        Its funny how some people on this site have such a boner for this game...It isn't a very good game....As soon as GW2 is released this game will disappear into MMO oblivion just like Tera has recently......Its too bad...This game had great potential, but thats all it ever was.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by Theocritus
        Its funny how some people on this site have such a boner for this game...It isn't a very good game....As soon as GW2 is released this game will disappear into MMO oblivion just like Tera has recently......Its too bad...This game had great potential, but thats all it ever was.

i dont think so, alot of people are sick of Fantasy. i have a feeling that GW2 and TSW are going to be the top 2. also they arent contenders because they aim at a different demographic. TSW aims at people who seek a challenge which involves them planning their attack, with a modern day setting. GW2 aims at people with decent reflexes who wish to remain in the fantasy world.

sorry to tell ya but TSW is going no where.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

I dont find WOW any good. So this whole comparison makes no sense to me.

I find TSW better than WOW but not good enough to put my money and time in it.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

While the game is technically sound, and the atmosphere is great, the combat leaves a lot to be desired, and the storyline's - while somewhat engrossing their first time through - are just not so great that they relied on people grinding the same missions over and over as content to keep them busy between patches. I can see this game being really good in a year when they have more content and the PvP issues have been (hopefully) worked out a good bit. 

Atmospherically, it's quite possibly the best MMO ever made. Gameplay-wise, it's nothing over-the-top special or anything.

Personally, my biggest gripe, though, is the combat. The animations are incredibly mediocre, and I don't find myself really wanting to play using any of the weapons given to me. But that's my problem, not a generalization. :)

I'm gonna say it. Since this game and SWTOR are most similar in terms of the major voice acting and stuff (easiest comparison anyway), I 100% prefer TSW's cutscenes and voice acting, and the way it's all handled. Yet, I actually prefer SWTOR's combat system and animations (which I don't even really like THAT much..)

Hmm....!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Ouch, bcbully....

This thread is like an accident, I can't look directly at it.  It's too painful.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by bcbully

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/360200/Since-2005-till-today-on-this-list-is-there-a-MMORPG-better-than-TSW.html

As the poll taken yesterday shows. 17% of MMMORPG.com users fell that TSW is the best game since WoW.  This is nothing to sneeze at.  

MMORPG.com User rating (500 ratings) of 8.7

Metacritic User rating (1000 ratings) of 8.4  

Low 1st month sales of TSW screams marketing issue. The game is without question solid, some people believe it's the best mmorpg since WoW. 

Bottom line is, If you are on the fence, odds are you wont be dissapointed. TSW might even be the best mmo you've played since WoW.

Are you seriously trying to pass off 17% as a good thing? Even funnier is trying to use broken rating systems to prove a point?! Please stop trying. What that poll showed is most here on this website think TSW isnt a verry good game. At 17% there is simply NO way you can possibly twist that as a good thing. Even saying a quater of the community (25%) would be pushing it as being a good thing.

I dont hate TSW since I havent played it. I may not lke the developer but that has nothing to do with the quality of the game. I'm just laughing at someone thinking 17% is a positive thing. Its actually hilarious.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Maitrader

I really dont understand why theres a poll for this ... this page is a waste of time, however the mole comment was hilarious and had to take BCB on that one.. It gave me a chance to laugh hard ONCE AGAIN at the Mole  in Austin Powers ;) Thanks BCB!

Anyways, TSW is a great game that needs tons more content. GW2 is a great game that needs tons more content too as it will have more or less the same span of content for launch as TSW.

Will I own both without a sub? yes. Will I choose one over the other? No. The (AO) has a strong core of PVE'rs and PVP'rs, and the PVP'rs will be following my lead into GW2 to establish PVP heavy division whereas my PVP'rs will be staying within TSW to continue achieving within it... So... my foot will be in both games.

In all honesty, both are great games.. whats not a great game is going to be games like TESO, AA, and REPOP... anyways, MOLEY MOLEY MOLEY MOLEYYYYY!

I'm curious how you know how much content GW2 is releasing with. Where you in the closed alpha testing? Maybe the super secret closed beta testing? Well you must have been since you know how much content its launching with. Mind sharing with us how polished the higher level content is since a good few of us are worried about that?

Silly jabs aside I'm sure TSW is a good game. I'll try it when it goes F2P. I havent seen much bad said about it besides the quality of the combat so hopefully by the time I try it they fix that.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by Rayshe

I've got to be honest Rayshe, i'm surprised anyone can make this claim for any game after what happened to SWtoR.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by MMOSavant

I've got to be honest Rayshe, i'm surprised anyone can make this claim for any game after what happened to SWtoR.

Hmm, good point actually.  Wasn't SWTOR supposed to clean up all the unfulfilled sci-fi fans too?  Between WoW and GW2 alone, it seems like a LOT of people still prefer fantasy, given that they have two sci-fi options, neither of which are blowing anyone away.

• MMOSavantMMOSavant Member Posts: 170
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by MMOSavant

Hmm, good point actually.  Wasn't SWTOR supposed to clean up all the unfulfilled sci-fi fans too?  Between WoW and GW2 alone, it seems like a LOT of people still prefer fantasy, given that they have two sci-fi options, neither of which are blowing anyone away.

Agreed. I wouldn't bet on any new game thesedays surviving in their original form for more than a year or even less in some cases (Rift is the exception to the rule it seems), and I won't buy a game from launch again, SWtoR was the last i'll do that with. I'll be biding my time and watching the feedback with GW2 (beta feedback isn't enough, I fell for that with SWtoR).

Someone earlier on this thread said that people fed up with fantasy are looking for a challenging game in a modern setting. Well I was looking for something different, SWtoR failed to deliver, but after playing TSW beta and for three weeks after launch i'm afraid it just wasn't challenging enough for me and the setting wasn't what I wanted or what I expected after all the hype.

TSW might be fine for plenty of others but just not for me and not what I was expecting in a Lovecraftean/NWO themed mmog.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Eir_S

I think it's a misnomer that people are bored of fantasy. I think people are bored of fantasy that is not done particularly well.  I mean Skyrim as a single player game sold over 10 million copies, fantasy to my mind is alive and kicking there is still a huge interest.  Guild Wars 2 I imagine will do very well.

One thing that should be noted is Funcom's share price looks to be in freefall.  The investors forced them to publish their sales figures.  Now that is a very important point,  because it means the investors don't have much confidence and wanted to make decisions based on some raw data.  Something that Funcom has until now managed to avoid releasing.   Unless they do something quickly, like go free to play with TSW, I don't think Funcom will be around much longer.   They were in a negative cash flow situation prior to TSW and they banked on TSW being more of a success than it has been.   You are in the territory now, if investors have no confidence, of a pure business decision being made.  With little on the horizon, the future looks a bit bleak to me for Funcom.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    Originally posted by Loke666

Any game needs some time to give us perspective to it. Some games like Eve grow on us, a vote a month or 2 after release of it would be rather negative compared to now. Other games like WAR and TOR are fun a short time but most players tire after a while.

So if you want a fair score of TSW, GW2 or any other newly releaeed or soon to be released game you need to wait a year or so after release.

i'm with you here. as was pointed out in the other thread.  if the same poll had been done for SWTOR or WAR 1 month after release they may have gotten much higher numbers.  for all i know WAR after 1 month would have gotten 90% saying it was the best game ever released.. maybe not.

in any case.. i'm not sure it speaks highly of the game that 1 in 5 says this.

at best i think that this data shows absolutely nothing.

at worste it doesn't speak favorable of TSW that 4/5 voted against it while just outside of the 1 month window.

anyways, useless data is useless.. not sure anyone at all would take this data seriously.  kind of makes me feel like the OP has some sort of other agenda because i'm a little in denial even he would think this was meaningful data.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

everyone thinks their fotm is the best thing since wow .. often referred to as a wow-killer. it's a lot like newt gingrich endorsing mit romney. which has nothing to do with newt gingrich endorsing romney and everything to do with newt gingrich hating obama.

ps im voting for mickey mouse, like I always do

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

i'm with you here. as was pointed out in the other thread.  if the same poll had been done for SWTOR or WAR 1 month after release they may have gotten much higher numbers.  for all i know WAR after 1 month would have gotten 90% saying it was the best game ever released.. maybe not.

at worste it doesn't speak favorable of TSW that 4/5 voted against it while just outside of the 1 month window.

anyways, useless data is useless.. not sure anyone at all would take this data seriously.  kind of makes me feel like the OP has some sort of other agenda because i'm a little in denial even he would think this was meaningful data.

Subjective question on the opinion of a mmorpg.

Think about it, on that list for that time period of 7 years is there another game that nearly 20% of the people polled would say is the best? I don't think so. Make a poll for that game if you do.

There are over 100 games on that list and TSW got almost 20% of the vote. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Think about it, on that list for that time period of 7 years is there another game that nearly 20% of the people polled would say is the best? I don't think so. Make a poll for that game if you do.

you really take that much stock in a poll of 350 users from MMORPG.COM?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Make a poll with 100 games and your little pet game.  See how it does then.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Any Poll on this site should not be taken seriously.
  • Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

Some parts of the world aren't very secret anymore.

• shockleymshockleym Member Posts: 5

17% would be closer to 1 out of 6. That's 1 out of 6 TSW forums... is this supposed to make it look great?

Somone needs to change their name to TSWBully

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Calerxes
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Come on BC who are trying to convince us or Yourself? 

4 out 5 people on this site think it isn't the best MMO of the past 7 years.

Ask the same question of games those people mentioned. See what you get. 5 out 5?

statistics statistics and damn lies  

You should think about a career in that field, also try this.... 

"go play TSW, enjoy yourself and forget about this forum and if the game doesn't survive be thankful that you got to play it because its better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all.

Statistics never lie.   The letter 'a' never lies.   The number '1' never lies.   They are things.  They are no more capable of lies than a rock or tree or a molecule of water.

People lie.  

And people unthinkingly pass on tongue in cheek quips and miss what the person who said it MEANT by it.

"Figures often beguile me," he [Twain] wrote, "particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'"

Disraeli never said that, btw.   Which is an irony in and of itself.   But what Twain is talking about is the deliberate manipulation of statistical information by liars in order to bolster weak arguments.  But, the quote, like so many quotes is always taken out of context to prove nothing, but to sound wise while running a classic anti-intellectual position:

Anti-intellectualism is hostility towards and mistrust of intellect, intellectuals, and intellectual pursuits, usually expressed as the derision of education, philosophy, literature, art, and science, as impractical and contemptible. Alternatively, self-described intellectuals who are alleged to fail to adhere to rigorous standards of scholarship may be described as anti-intellectuals.

His method may be wrong.  His conclusions erroneous.   But you do not address that.  You just drop a common anti-intellectual quip and act like you've won something.

As someone trained in stats, I can see the flaws of his argument.   The easiest is the built in bias in the structure of the poll  (a narrow selection of MMOs) and then drawing a conclusion that includes a different data set (all MMOs).   But you don't address that.  You just attack with a quip you heard somewhere without understanding the context from which it was lifted.   Then to be, I guess, clever, you changed it...

So what?   At least his error is honest...  

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by shockleym

17% would be closer to 1 out of 6. That's 1 out of 6 TSW forums... is this supposed to make it look great?

Somone needs to change their name to TSWBully

Well it's up to 18.5%. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    if you really like the game and want to try to bring in new people try putting together something like whats in my sig. What you are doing is actually counter productive.

Let me be clear:  Being a fan of both GW2 and TSW, I see you act in a remarkably similar way in the GW2 forums.    Just look at your sig and all the videos you have compiled into your stickied post...   That is not significantly different.   It is, in fact, something laudable that fans do and it is appreciated...

So I don't get why his post 'fails,' and 'he's trying too hard' and yet you have a sticky thread, which you routinely update with 'postive GW2 videos showing what a great game it is' and you don't see your equivalent actions as equivalent.   Even though they really sort of are...

Anyway, it's DnD time.   Good luck. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by MosesZD

Let me be clear:  Being a fan of both GW2 and TSW, I see you act in a remarkably similar way in the GW2 forums.    Just look at your sig and all the videos you have compiled into your stickied post...   That is not significantly different.   It is, in fact, something laudable that fans do and it is appreciated...

So I don't get why his post 'fails,' and 'he's trying too hard' and yet you have a sticky thread, which you routinely update with 'postive GW2 videos showing what a great game it is' and you don't see your equivalent actions as equivalent.   Even though they really sort of are...

Anyway, it's DnD time.   Good luck. 

if you truley can't see a difference in how I try to show the good things in guild wars 2 and how bcbully promotes TSW i really lost faith in the people on this forum. Besides I was just trying to help the guy out not get jumped all over..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• dudeduder45dudeduder45 Member Posts: 67
    1/5 dentists recommend x toothpaste. Somehow i don't think that one will sell very well
This discussion has been closed.