Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The lag was gone. Completely.

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I was hit by some sharp lag spikes in the first 15 minutes, they lasted a few seconds. Was fine for the rest though.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer
    Originally posted by Serin101
    I think it may be the newer cards that are suffering from the disappearing landscape issues, so far a few friends of mine and I are running older GFX cards and not experiencing issues. ATI Radeon HD5700 series with all the newest drivers.

ATI Radeon HD 6800, doing fine too. Would be ironic if now it's the ATI cards that are doing okay and the nVidia's having those graphic issues considering it was the opposite until now.

Was it? 6870 here, never had a problem with GW2...

And yeah, for the short time I played today, the action lag (time between key press and ability on screen) I was experiencing Friday was completely gone.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    I think it may be the newer cards that are suffering from the disappearing landscape issues, so far a few friends of mine and I are running older GFX cards and not experiencing issues. ATI Radeon HD5700 series with all the newest drivers.

ATI Radeon HD 6800, doing fine too. Would be ironic if now it's the ATI cards that are doing okay and the nVidia's having those graphic issues considering it was the opposite until now.

And yeah, for the short time I played today, the action lag (time between key press and ability on screen) I was experiencing Friday was completely gone.

Yap. During the first BWE people with ATI cards were having all kinds of issues, like supreme lag, crashes and artifacting while the majority of the nVidia people were oblivious. Aside from the lag, I didn't experience those things, so I dunno for sure, but that seems the likely bet. Probably yet another one of those things being worked on during these stress tests.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by MadKing
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The vanishing graphics are abviously graphic driver issues..

It might help to try some different drivers.

I agree, I have not ran into the vanishing problem and I've played in every BWE so far. I'm playing on a old Gtx 570 with no graphic issues and  55 - 60 fps.  maybe it's a problem with newer cards?

the issue just started in the last two stress tests never had the issue in any BWE.. 

I'm running Nvidia's latest stable beta drivers 304.79 on a 460 GTX SE and I did not experience any vanishing. May be it's some sort of wierd hardware issue with a particular generation of cards? Wierd.

• tachiboitachiboi Member UncommonPosts: 30

25 FPS in crowdy Eternal BG on med-high settings.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Yap. During the first BWE people with ATI cards were having all kinds of issues, like supreme lag, crashes and artifacting while the majority of the nVidia people were oblivious. Aside from the lag, I didn't experience those things, so I dunno for sure, but that seems the likely bet. Probably yet another one of those things being worked on during these stress tests.

Possibly people with outdated drivers. I had no noticeable problem in any of the BWEs, but I always have the very latest drivers, sometimes even beta drivers.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• -Inferno--Inferno- Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 325
    Using newest beta drivers from Nvidia with my GTX 275 (pretty old, I know) - experienced some bad vanishing landscape in Divinity's Reach today. It has grown worse during the last two stress tests.

"Fire is never a gentle master..."

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Yeah, was very very smooth (Desolation - EU).

Ran into one little thing, not sure if it was an actual bug, but I ended up in an underwater area where there were like 20 mobs in about a couple of meters, it looked like the game had double or triple spawned them, could also have been intended (though it looked absolutely ridiculous).

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

The disappearing terrain is related to an issue with the new Hiddden Surfaces Detection system they are using. They were supposed to use Umbra for occlusion culling, but there is a bug that was heavily impacting frame rates that can only be fixed at the driver level. So, not wanting to be stuck waiting for driver fixes, they coded a new occlusion method that runs on the CPU. This increased FPS, but there are some areas of the game that need to be manually optimized to prevent chunks of terrain and other objects from being culled in error.

This seems to happen most often in the Asura lands, but we have no idea how prevalent it is through out the entire game.

You can use the old method, with lower FPS, but no disappearing terrain, by adding -umbra gpu to your launcher shortcut.

I see someone else in the thread had their FPS drop considerably since the last stress test. I was able to fix it by moving the graphics slider to Best Performance, then manually setting the other settings to my preference, (mostly maxed). I then quit and restarted the client and my FPS was back where it should be.

There must be some bug that caused this. I haven't had an issue closing and returning to the client and there was no client side patch since Friday, but it may have been caused by being logged into the game when the servers were shut off on Friday. (I think I had this issue once before between stress tests. I usually stay logged in until they boot me).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578
    Game ran very fluid and smooth for the hour and 5 minutes i played, unfortunately an hour only feels like 3 minutes in this game..

Playing GW2..

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by dageeza
    Game ran very fluid and smooth for the hour and 5 minutes i played, unfortunately an hour only feels like 3 minutes in this game..

^ so true. fastest hour ever!

I love that they continue to tweak and test though. I really think that in the next 13 days they'll have this thing to a level of polish that it will sail upon launch. Heck, if it took off right now it'd beat most launches.

Hopefully they square up those vanishing landscapes and run a few more stress tests in the meantime :)

This game kicks so much ass.

• donjndonjn Member UncommonPosts: 816

I wish you people would stop mentioning lag and FPS together. They have very little to do with each other.

These days with the new MMO breed of players who don't know much about computers, anytime you see them talk about lag, you can bet they are talking about framerate performance.

• -Inferno--Inferno- Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 325

Originally posted by fiontar You can use the old method, with lower FPS, but no disappearing terrain, by adding -umbra gpu to your launcher shortcut.
    I'll try that next time. Thanks!

"Fire is never a gentle master..."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

For my own knowledge why would some escape the culling  problem and others are not?

This culling problem sounds like a real issue,should A-Net not have delayed until it is fixed?If Umbra was failing,that means A-Net KNEW about it and still cheated the fans by releasing an unready product.

I do not understand how the old setup would have caused fps issues as that is what culling does it HELPS fps.So it sounds like that Umbra wasn't working at all and neither is the new code but only for some,which like i said makes no sense.

To me it sounds like culling is not working period,those with really high end machines can load scenes  fast and won't have any issues or need culling,those with low end or those that can't handle a heavty cpu and or gpu load will have the loading issues.Obviously some areas will have a lot more loading than others,so again it will vary from player to player.

Either way A-Net needs to respond with an answer as to why they released it in an unfit state.They obviously knew of the problem so not cool.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399
    This last stress test went smootly, no lag or disconnects, but i guess most people didnt even loged in.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Kidon
    This last stress test went smootly, no lag or disconnects, but i guess most people didnt even loged in.

It's possible. One hour test doesn't really seem worth it, especially on a weekend. Originally I wasn't going to play and only reason I even participated is because I had some free time and decided to mess around and do a few jump puzzles.

• ZiffnabZiffnab Member Posts: 10

The missing terrian textures is due to the new renderer they are using which predicts which textures _do not_ need to be processed by the graphics card and only pre-renders those frames that it thinks will be needed in the next few frames.   This rendering method requires manual tweaking in certain circumstances and anet will need to discover each of these corner cases and tweak the rendering algorithms to correct for them.

To those who are still having performance problems. If you have a NVIDIA video card _do not_ use the latest certified driver, it has a bug that halfs your frame rate.  Instead use the latest NVIDIA beta driver.

Also, anet recommends deleting your C:UsersDocumentsGuild Wars 2Local.dat file, so that it can be rebuilt using the latest client (left over junk from previous betas).  Many people have reported greatly improved FPS from this as well.

*Hint* Also anet does not enable Anisotropic Filtering for some reason by default.  Enable this in your video cards control panel for greatly improved texture quality at medium to long distances.  You can test this by looking down a long stone road or platform and note how the ground becomes blurry the further you look.  Enabling this correct for this issue and greatly improves distant visuals.

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436
    Can't really compare today's stress test to Friday's because we have no idea if they changed any load balancing algorithms, if they used more data center resources or less. So yeah the lag was gone but it doesn't really say whether or not they were able to improve anything on their end. Or how it will effect launch even. It's possible they didn't change anything at all, but there were just less people logged in.
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Man, I took a nap and missed it. Glad to hear they seem to have fixed the lag problem so atleast I woke up to good news....
  • KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399
    There was plenty of people playing, we had queue for WvWvW, but the preformance was top notch
  • FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    Originally posted by Ziffnab

To those who are still having performance problems. If you have a NVIDIA video card _do not_ use the latest certified driver, it has a bug that halfs your frame rate.  Instead use the latest NVIDIA beta driver.

I can confirm. Using the beta drivers on my GTX570 netted me 20% framerate increase. I just ordered an i5 3450 and 4 more gigs of G.Skill super fast DDR3 1600+ (bringing me to 8). I am so going to be ready for launch. :D

Thanks for the other tips though Ziff. I'll definitely do that. :)

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The vanishing graphics are abviously graphic driver issues..

It might help to try some different drivers.

tried 3 differn't sets of nvidia drivers the latest WHQL the latest beta and the latest dev beta.. all same thing. Never had this issue once in the beta weekends

agreed. I tried several different drivers as well.... it only happens in asura area. weird. I think it's a bug.

It has only been a problem during the last two stress tests. Never had the problem before.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• GruntiesGrunties Member Posts: 859
    Like others I had great performance, and a few graphics anomalies/dissipearing textures in asura areas (which was unique to the last two stress tests). Nothing that concerned me much though, I would be surprised if it wasn't fixed up soon.

Waiting for: A skill-based MMO with Freedom and Consequence.
    Woe to thee, the pierce-ed.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by Wizardry

For my own knowledge why would some escape the culling  problem and others are not?

This culling problem sounds like a real issue,should A-Net not have delayed until it is fixed?If Umbra was failing,that means A-Net KNEW about it and still cheated the fans by releasing an unready product.

I do not understand how the old setup would have caused fps issues as that is what culling does it HELPS fps.So it sounds like that Umbra wasn't working at all and neither is the new code but only for some,which like i said makes no sense.

To me it sounds like culling is not working period,those with really high end machines can load scenes  fast and won't have any issues or need culling,those with low end or those that can't handle a heavty cpu and or gpu load will have the loading issues.Obviously some areas will have a lot more loading than others,so again it will vary from player to player.

Either way A-Net needs to respond with an answer as to why they released it in an unfit state.They obviously knew of the problem so not cool.

Um...game isn't released yet. We are still 2 weeks away from release. Either way, this seems to be a new issue that reared it's ugly head when they started optimizing. And optimizing is still going on. It's not likely they stopped development now that we are just 2 weeks from release. They can still release patches for people to update to when they first start the game on the 25/27/28.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I haven't had a problem with either since Vista and NVidia couldn't make a driver to save their lives.   After six months, I had to roll-back to Windows XP because NVIdia couldn't fix it.   Not that ATI was much better from what I understand.   But I had an 8800GTX at that point in time and it really ticked me off one the best cards on the market could only play 2D games without crashing every 30 minutes.

But since then, I've not had a problem regardless of the mfg.   Maybe it's just luck of the game selection, but I haven't had any material graphics driver issues in years.