Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DUST 514: CCP Secures $20M in New Funding

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

TechCrunch is reporting that CCP has secured $20 million in new funding. According to reports from CCP, the new money will be used in part to promote DUST 514 as it nears launch.

In addition to launching DUST, Reid says the funding will allow CCP to prepare for an IPO. The company doesn’t have any immediate plans to go public, but he says the money “allows us is to do some of the things you need to do for IPO preparedness,” such as building greater redundancy into its computer systems, so that it’s ready to go public when and if the time is right.

Read the full report at TechCrunch.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Since it's not a PC title, I just can't get interested in this game.  I'm sure as hell not buying a PS3 for it.

It looks ok, but I'll play PS2 or Defiance instead.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Deathwing980Deathwing980 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Well, since its only a PS3 product... it divides the Player community who loved the Eve Lore... this just makes me sad because i enjoyed Eve and i loved FPS's so i would have been glad ot get this for PC... but since its not for PC... well no money (since i dont like PS3 that much)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Deathwing980

Well, since its only a PS3 product... it divides the Player community who loved the Eve Lore... this just makes me sad because i enjoyed Eve and i loved FPS's so i would have been glad ot get this for PC... but since its not for PC... well no money (since i dont like PS3 that much)

they would have probably stood more chance if they 'd put it on the Wii...  as it is..  i just can't see it working, actually even if it was on the Wii.. and likewise, i sure as hell am not going to buy a ps3 just to play it.. gotta have some standards after all image

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Without a PC release it's just $20 million down the crapper.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• Bl4ck3nDBl4ck3nD Member UncommonPosts: 114
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730
    Originally posted by Bl4ck3nD
    Why not release on both platforms?

I agree.  The "they don't want to split their playerbase" is pure garbage.

EvE IS their playerbase.  It's the game that financed DUST 514.  Unless he or she already owns a PS3, an EvE player will not be able to play the game.  That's CCP taking a shit on their existing fanbase, plain and simple.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

It's farily easy to understand why they are releasing it on the PS3, they want the console market, and its less of a hassle since the game will work on every unit.

There's still a chance that they will release a PC version eventually, they just want everything set up first, good anti-cheat system and every other problem coming with a PC release.

If you dont like using a controller, fine, DUST allows M&KB, just plug in it with USB.

It makes me a little sad that they are releasing it on the PS3 and not on the PC, sure the M&KB will make things ALOT better since I will never play an FPS on a console game otherwise, it's also sad because not everyone of your friends or, your corp in EVE got a ps3.

With PS2 coming along (which looks great btw), it will be hard for CCP to release DUST on the PC, but the EVE-DUST link is such an interesting, unique thing, I have somwhat respect for it.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

More failure tied to DUST 514.... would have been happier to hear it was being sunk into WOD, which sadly wasn't mentioned at all.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

This reminds me TESO discussions...

DUST target audience is not EVE players but console FPS gamers.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    I would give it a go if it had been 360, but, well, as is I guess it's something that will only be happening to those 'other people' I hear so much about.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Bl4ck3nD
    Why not release on both platforms?

Is this a question that needs to be asked? 

Why do you think it isnt'?

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    You think if they made a free facebook post and offered to give each person that tried the game $1 from that £20mil they would get more players than spending it on advertising? I do...
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Originally posted by Suzie_Ford

TechCrunch is reporting that CCP has secured $20 million in new funding. According to reports from CCP, the new money will be used in part to promote DUST 514 as it nears launch.

In addition to launching DUST, Reid says the funding will allow CCP to prepare for an IPO. The company doesn’t have any immediate plans to go public, but he says the money “allows us is to do some of the things you need to do for IPO preparedness,” such as building greater redundancy into its computer systems, so that it’s ready to go public when and if the time is right.

Read the full report at TechCrunch.

20 Million on advertising, now we know these games cost to much to make.  That seems insane to me.  I think you could probably add a lot of content/features/polish for that type of money.  This industry is broken beyond repair. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• PjkornPjkorn Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I dont know why this info is even relevant on this site since most of its conent is PC related..sick of hearing about it since it is only available through the PS3.
  • DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287
    It says System Req: PS2 , someone fix heh.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Deathwing980

Well, since its only a PS3 product... it divides the Player community who loved the Eve Lore...

Does it divide it or does it chance doubling it?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ValasAzuviirValasAzuviir Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Pjkorn
    I dont know why this info is even relevant on this site since most of its conent is PC related..sick of hearing about it since it is only available through the PS3.

Because it ties into an existing PC MMO, hence why it's relevant to the site.

If Sony were to have an RTS with a leaderboard that influenced the resources available to the factions of Planetside 2, then it  too would be relevant to the site as well.

Doesn't mean we have to like what's being done, just that it does fall within the perview of this site, so they can't be chided on reporting about it. It's part of their job.

Originally posted by LoktofeitDoes it divide it or does it chance doubling it?

Expecting PS3 gamers to start playing EVE is probably as bold as expecting EVE players to buy a PS3 to play Dust...

I see a slim chance for either to happen.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Good luck to them

I really wanted to play Dust 512.................but I am not going to buy a Playstation for it.

Sorry CCP, I think you made a huge mistake with the Sony exclusive.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Expecting PS3 gamers starting to play EVE is probably as bold as expecting EVE players to buy a PS3 to play Dust...

That's my thought., it just not going to happen.

I think CCP got it incredibly wrong with this one.

I hope they can redeem themselves wit WoD

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Expecting PS3 gamers starting to play EVE is probably as bold as expecting EVE players to buy a PS3 to play Dust...

I don't expect a big overlap of either, but that wasn't what he was talking about. He said the player community interested in EVE lore. Another genre and another platform of gamers means the introduction of the EVE universe and its lore to an entire new subset of gamers that more than likely never even heard of EVE before, let alone played it.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by ste2000

I think CCP got it incredibly wrong with this one.

No, they did not. You only falsely assume that the game was somehow aimed to be for you.

It isn't. The target audience is console FPS gamers. If you are not a console FPS gamer, you are not their target audience.

TESO qq all over again...

I don't expect a big overlap of either, but that wasn't what he was talking about. He said the player community interested in EVE lore. Another genre and another platform of gamers means the introduction of the EVE universe and its lore to an entire new subset of gamers that more than likely never even heard of EVE before, let alone played it.

The PS3 market is packed with FPS, Dust will be another of them with an unknown IP

If CCP would have merged EvE and Dust, they would have doubled the subscription.............they just lost a chance

Ah, the lore. I see, my bad and point taken.

Moving the game on console is a good move in all aspects, now the game only needs to succeed on new market just as EVE did as MMO :)

No, they did not. You only falsely assume that the game was somehow aimed to be for you.

It isn't. The target audience is console FPS gamers. If you are not a console FPS gamer, you are not their target audience.

TESO qq all over again...

I could not care less if they made the game for me or not.

I will still keep playing EvE and I won't play Dust 512, so to me it won't change anything.

What I was saying is that making an FPS game with an unknown IP for a market which is already saturated with FPSs is a bad commercial move, particularly if your IP is well known in the PC platform.

Nothing to do with my needs.

I don't see many PS3 players flocking to play Dust 512, that's all I am saying.

I hope I am wrong because I like CCP, but I am sure I am right.

I am generally good with predictions