Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I admit it, I got sucked in

CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

I was purposely not following this game for a reason.  More often than not, when it comes to games, I don't like to find out every little thing about it before I play it.  The fun for me is discovery and learning on your own.  There was an outside chance I would buy it, but I was leaning towards not, just based on the bit that I knew about it.

However, I recently did something that I said I would never do, and that is pre-purchase a game.  I just got hooked on watching the videos, and now can't stop. image

The thing that sucked me in was actually the knowledge that there would be a class called the Mesmer.  I'm an "illusion" kind of guy, and that really intrigued me.  So, I started watching some Mesmer videos, and was pretty darn impressed with not only the game play of that class, but the entire game itself.  (Engineer looked incredibly fun too, which will probably be my second choice, Guardian my thrid)

I was in the Aug 10th stress test, and just the PvE was surprisingly fun, despite the unbelievable lag and rubberbanding due to that internet issue they were having at the time.

I'm not a blind/raging fanboy, but damn this does look very good.  I now see the appeal and have some clue on what they are trying to do differently.  More power to them, hope they succeed.

Comments

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991
    Welcome to the dark side.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    I'm sure you will enjoy it even more when you can play without the net issues they were having last stress test:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

I am glad for you!

Wish that more people can approach to the game with more open mind, rather than comparing it with WoW/WAR/RIFT/you name it. Then, the differences between this and other MMORPGs will unveil by themselves.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• Masa1Masa1 Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Glad to get you here. There are already too many raging fanboys, so hopefully people like you will be the majority someday.
  • GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

I kinda got sucked in too. I know I will get value out of the game (box price) and don't expect much more. Anything over 2 months playing is rare  for me nowadays and a bonus.

I think it was initially the vids that did it for me too, I burnt out on vids though! 

• WabbaWayWabbaWay Member Posts: 101

Heh, i know exactly how you feel, it was the customization that did it for me though.

So... Many... BUILDS! Must... TEST!

MUST PLAY GUILD WARS 2!

• redfrickredfrick Member UncommonPosts: 42

I got sucked in due to the lack of there being anything really else MMO wise to play.  I even swore to myself I was never going to play a fantasy MMO again.  But then I read some of the game features and watched a couple videos and thought "what the hell" and pre-ordered.

Now that I have beein in a few of the stress tests I can't wait for this game to be released.  I've never been this excited for a video game before and cannot wait to start playing.  I've decided I am not going to participate in anymore stress tests because it's just torture.

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    yes... the kool-aid here is delicious.

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Another mesmer joins the fold! Let us unite and get all "Scanners" up in this biatch.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• PiratePetePiratePete Member Posts: 105

Got sucked in by the seigeing of towers/keeps. I'v ealways wanted a game that has this kind of gameplay but didn't charge an arm and a leg for it. Being able to form a group of people and wreck havoc on the battlegrounds is worth 60$ itself in my books. Add in the pve and spvp content and it's like 3 games for one.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

It would be sad if this was just a mesmer spell called "hype" XD lol

Can't wait for 25th. BRING ON THE JUMPING PUZZLES!

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Good for you, dude!  image

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by redfrick

I got sucked in due to the lack of there being anything really else MMO wise to play.  I even swore to myself I was never going to play a fantasy MMO again.  But then I read some of the game features and watched a couple videos and thought "what the hell" and pre-ordered.

Now that I have beein in a few of the stress tests I can't wait for this game to be released.  I've never been this excited for a video game before and cannot wait to start playing.  I've decided I am not going to participate in anymore stress tests because it's just torture.

I had kind of the "what the hell" attitude too.  I saw enough of it that it definitely sparked my interest, and I thought there was even enough there that looked like it would at least keep me occupied for a month or two.  Any more after that, and it would be a bonus (and a pleasant surprise).

As someone else mentioned, all the different power combos looked great too.  I have the need to try them all now.  Even the Elementalist gets all these different power sets, not only with the weapons being wielded, but with the current element choice as well.

It looks like there will be enough there to not let the boredom set in too soon.  If the PvP gets too tedious, it seems to me there is tons to do in the PvE world as well.  However, from what little Ive seen so far, it actually looks like PvP will be pretty darn good because there is some strategy involved.  Kind of how WAR should have been, but on steroids, and actually fun.  Getting kind of anxious for the release too.  Haven't had that feeling in a while.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    See you there, fellow sucker!!!!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Lol, mesmer is one of the hardest classes to get into, it is a lot easier to start with a guardian or a warrior to learn the basics of the game.

Then again, I started out with a thief myself so as long as you are willing to die a little starting with a hard class can be more fun than with the easy ones. :)

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    OK, I admit it to...I don't!!

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe